View Full Version : Lock down - Daniel Texas Prison Unit

keith74mom
03-14-2012, 10:23 PM
Does anyone know when Daniel had their last lock down ? Just wondering because my son was just transferred there and would like to know what to expect. TIA!

babyguz1
03-15-2012, 06:44 AM
don't know that one, my husband went there a few weeks ago from a unit that was locked down 1st week of february for the mandatory bi-annual so it could have been recently or upcoming. i'll ask my husband saturday.

keith74mom
03-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Thanks- how are the visits there?

JAE'sWifey
03-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Thanks- how are the visits there?
I visit just about every weekend. The visits are always nice. It's a smaller unit which means no waiting or long lines. The most I've ever had to wait was about 10 minutes and that's just because there was a large family being searched and checked-in. The only "problem" I've had with visits is if you get there after 10/11ish the "good" stuff from the vending machines is gone. So I usually try to get there early. The have burgers, tacos, chicken sandwiches, etc to be heated up in the microwave.

My husband has been there 1 1/2 years and I can't seem to remember when they went on their last big lockdown. Frequently different individual buildings go on lockdown but that rarely lasts more than 24 hours and doesn't seem to create a noticeable change in communication.

keith74mom
03-16-2012, 04:09 PM
Wow- what an assortment of food- can't wait to visit. Thanks for the info!

I visit just about every weekend. The visits are always nice. It's a smaller unit which means no waiting or long lines. The most I've ever had to wait was about 10 minutes and that's just because there was a large family being searched and checked-in. The only "problem" I've had with visits is if you get there after 10/11ish the "good" stuff from the vending machines is gone. So I usually try to get there early. The have burgers, tacos, chicken sandwiches, etc to be heated up in the microwave.

My husband has been there 1 1/2 years and I can't seem to remember when they went on their last big lockdown. Frequently different individual buildings go on lockdown but that rarely lasts more than 24 hours and doesn't seem to create a noticeable change in communication.

JAE'sWifey
03-17-2012, 11:25 AM
Wow- what an assortment of food- can't wait to visit. Thanks for the info!

I just left the visit and my husband said the last major one was sometime in November and he expects the next one to be around June.

And yes there's always a nice assortment. There were cheeseburgers, steak biscuits, pizza, chicken sandwiches and tacos today along with chips and candy. It's a nice unit to visit.

deerwoman
03-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Your son is in a good unit. I don't have much experience with other units, but I am amazed at the many people's remarks about the selection of food in the vending machines and the microwave.
When my son went in, he went to Diboll and to Daniel unit. I worried about other units but am glad he is there and hope he stays there until he gets out.

deerwoman
03-20-2012, 09:50 AM
forgot to ask, how long is your son going to be in there? May be he can take college courses they offer.

keith74mom
03-20-2012, 06:00 PM
I called rehab and they said a bed should be ready in 2 months, so not enough time for a class. Too bad, he was begging at his last unit to be allowed to take classes and they said no because they didn't have proctors for exams- what a waste of time . Looking forward, though, maybe he can take one at the next unit . he should be there for 9 months.

forgot to ask, how long is your son going to be in there? May be he can take college courses they offer.