View Full Version : Google voice vs. vconnect prepaid phone account?

Shane'sgirl
02-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Hi ladies I was wondering about Google voice and how that works with your inmate if you use it. I'm currently using Pre-paid phone account from v connect. What your thoughts on Google voice?

Jay1
02-27-2012, 02:12 PM
Well the service with google as long as you have a gmail account is free, I've been using it for a few months now and I like it.

junglette247
02-27-2012, 02:19 PM
I'm curious how this works. I have a google voice number and I've download the app to my iPhone. I pre-pay my husbands collect calls through global tel link. He calls my landline and I forward my calls to my cell when I'm out. Now what I'm curious about is if I have a google voice account can he call that number collect by me adding money to my google voice account and I can cut the blood sucking middle man out known as global tel link to receive calls that way? Thanks in advance for your answers

Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk

Jay1
02-27-2012, 02:25 PM
Well I have google and the easiest way for me and we deal with no middle operator is when I send him money he is responsible for buying phone time so all I do is press 5 to accept my prepraid call...with google you pick a local number to them and have that number forwarded to your cell at all times and your phone also rings to your regular number.....it is less expensive and I don't worry about all those fees when adding money. does that make sense?

tiger53
02-27-2012, 02:27 PM
I'm curious how this works. I have a google voice number and I've download the app to my iPhone. I pre-pay my husbands collect calls through global tel link. He calls my landline and I forward my calls to my cell when I'm out. Now what I'm curious about is if I have a google voice account can he call that number collect by me adding money to my google voice account and I can cut the blood sucking middle man out known as global tel link to receive calls that way? Thanks in advance for your answers

I don't think you can get rid of GTL because this is what pretty much all the prisons use. I use an online service that provides a number that is local to the prison and then the call can be forwarded to any phone. Works pretty good.

Jay1
02-27-2012, 02:28 PM
Cant your men buy time inside vs you guys paying gtl?

Mj626
02-27-2012, 02:38 PM
I don't think you can get rid of GTL because this is what pretty much all the prisons use. I use an online service that provides a number that is local to the prison and then the call can be forwarded to any phone. Works pretty good.

How do you get the number from the int. And how do you have those calls foward to ur cell ?? How do u set it up . More info please.y landline got blocked becaise it reached a limit ?? Has this happnd to anyone ? And how can u fix it ??

tiger53
02-27-2012, 02:39 PM
Cant your men buy time inside vs you guys paying gtl?

Don't think so. It's a bummer, but so are many other things about prison life.

junglette247
02-27-2012, 03:25 PM
How do you get the number from the int. And how do you have those calls foward to ur cell ?? How do u set it up . More info please.y landline got blocked becaise it reached a limit ?? Has this happnd to anyone ? And how can u fix it ??

I got my number blocked by global tel link because of reaching the $200 lifetime amount and now I have to pre-pay regardless if they have been paid through my landline phone company. When I called to have them unblock my number so I could continue to use them for direct collect calls they said they are switching all accounts to pre-pay and of course that sucks cause now I feel like I've been paying way more in pre-paying than paying them through my monthly bill there a rip off I hate them. There is always a problem with them

Shane'sgirl
02-27-2012, 03:38 PM
I don't use GTL. I go to this website.. www.debitcalls.com Since i'm in washington I click on the washington link. If I were to get google voice would he have to buy a phone card?my man is in Spokane at AHCC

Jay1
02-27-2012, 04:11 PM
My man was the one that told me about google. Mine is in federal, I think it all has to do with where they are at, but inmates usually know about these things since the word gets around in there quick.

Shydiamond1
02-27-2012, 04:21 PM
GTL was a hassle for me. I just think its rip off to pay $5 to add money to the phone each time. I signed up for a free gmail account, then i clicked Google voice which asked me did i want a new number or did i want to use my own number. I chose new number because I'm 45 minutes away from him and if i use my area code (330) vs his (419) calls would be $5.per call so to cut cost to 97CENTS!! per call, i found a number in his area code, you have to verfiy it by typing in your # the GV calls you and you press the 2 digits they give you.. and then you choose a GV number # and it automatically forwards to my phone FREE. no hidden fees, I LOVE IT. + you can use this for his family members to get cheaper calls too. Oh and one other thing..
www.Offenderconnect.com (http://www.offenderconnect.com)

to add money$$$ to the phone there is NO CHARGE to add $$$ like some other companies. So when he calls it still says "THIS IS GLOBAL TELL LINK. ...You have a prepaid call originating from an Ohio Correction." But i cut GTL out with GV and i dont have to pay GTL. Hope this was helpful.... Good luck ladies !!!

mandarose
02-27-2012, 05:13 PM
GTL was a hassle for me. I just think its rip off to pay $5 to add money to the phone each time. I signed up for a free gmail account, then i clicked Google voice which asked me did i want a new number or did i want to use my own number. I chose new number because I'm 45 minutes away from him and if i use my area code (330) vs his (419) calls would be $5.per call so to cut cost to 97CENTS!! per call, i found a number in his area code, you have to verfiy it by typing in your # the GV calls you and you press the 2 digits they give you.. and then you choose a GV number # and it automatically forwards to my phone FREE. no hidden fees, I LOVE IT. + you can use this for his family members to get cheaper calls too. Oh and one other thing..
www.Offenderconnect.com (http://www.offenderconnect.com)

to add money$$$ to the phone there is NO CHARGE to add $$$ like some other companies. So when he calls it still says "THIS IS GLOBAL TELL LINK. ...You have a prepaid call originating from an Ohio Correction." But i cut GTL out with GV and i dont have to pay GTL. Hope this was helpful.... Good luck ladies !!!

Oh wow.. thanks I need to do this instead.. gtl is ridiculous I dislike the 5 dollars each time u add money!! That's BS.. -_-

Shydiamond1
02-27-2012, 05:49 PM
Google Voice is the best service!!! I would recommend it Manda for real girl

junglette247
02-27-2012, 05:52 PM
Oh wow.. thanks I need to do this instead.. gtl is ridiculous I dislike the 5 dollars each time u add money!! That's BS.. -_-

Offender connect . com is operated by global tel link just to let you know

tiger53
02-27-2012, 08:45 PM

You can avoid the transaction fee by prepaying with a money order. The rules for inmate phone calls varies from one prison to another but if GTL is the service they use then all calls must go through GTL. Doesn't matter whether you use GV or some other service that provides a local number where the prison is located. The service I use is called hostednumber.com. The service costs me 7.95 a month. This is in addition to the GTL charges. Each 15 minute call costs about $1.15. Not free but still better than paying $3 or more per call.

Shydiamond1
02-28-2012, 06:37 AM
yeah theres no getting around GTL on the service fee of $5. unless you want to get a money order each time but Offender connect is online its quicker and easier.

Shane'sgirl
02-28-2012, 01:19 PM
My man was the one that told me about google. Mine is in federal, I think it all has to do with where they are at, but inmates usually know about these things since the word gets around in there quick.

Do you know once you get google voice, does the inmate have to buy any mintues. How does that work?

tommyg1337
02-29-2012, 07:46 AM
I hear that the biggest benefit of a GV number is that you have no long distance fee if you get a number that is considered "local" to your LO.

I have looked at myvconnect transactions and I don't see anything titled as a long distance fee, so I am not sure it would even help a lot. I know in county they were ~$6 per call due to long distance fees.

Temeron0926
03-15-2012, 03:42 AM
Hi ladies I was wondering about Google voice and how that works with your inmate if you use it. I'm currently using Pre-paid phone account from v connect. What your thoughts on Google voice?

You will have to pay V-Connect regardless of what other service you have, trust me, been there, done that! They do this to us so that they can make the big bucks. I have a cell number that is local to the prison and I still have to pay $3.67 per 20 minute phone call!

holdn_us_down11
03-15-2012, 06:48 AM
i have vconnect and i put money on his pin number and it is 3.67 per call for 20 min. he can call my house phone or my cell phone for that matter. i didnt need no google number.

Scott's_Angel
03-19-2012, 09:42 PM
When did it go up from $3.50 per 20 minutes?

Shane'sgirl
04-02-2012, 12:20 AM
You will have to pay V-Connect regardless of what other service you have, trust me, been there, done that! They do this to us so that they can make the big bucks. I have a cell number that is local to the prison and I still have to pay $3.67 per 20 minute phone call!

hey tem. Have a question. When ray calls you does the call connect after you press five? Cause with me when i press five it doesn't connect right away. Shane has to call a couple of more times before it connects. and who would I go to complain about that?

tommyg1337
04-02-2012, 06:46 AM
hey tem. Have a question. When ray calls you does the call connect after you press five? Cause with me when i press five it doesn't connect right away. Shane has to call a couple of more times before it connects. and who would I go to complain about that?

That's been happening to me too! I thought it might be my cell, so my husband call our land line... SAME thing! Anyone else having this issue?

tiger53
04-02-2012, 08:02 AM
Yes we have the same thing happen sometimes. The way these calls get routed it's a wonder they work at all. When we get a call from prison it says Texas on the caller ID even though the call originated in North Carolina.

Temeron0926
04-10-2012, 12:48 AM

Wow! Yea it connects right away. Have Shane check on which phone he is using there. Some of the phones are messed up. If he finds one that works correctly, ask him to try and use that one each time. I would think V-Connect would be who you would need to talk to otherwise. I hope this gets fixed for you!

hmbgirl1
09-05-2012, 06:44 PM
I cant use google voice because I live in canada and you cant get it here but I did use a different company to get a washington number that forwards to my cell phone. It's not the same area code as where my guy is thought. Would it be worth it to change it to a local number that is closer to him? He said he though that all calls to washington numbers were the same price but is there any way to get it cheaper? at $3.68 a call we go through money pretty quick :)

Renee
09-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Any time I see something about Google Voice, I always try to add this warning just in the hopes that I'm erring on the side of caution. With any option you choose to try to lower call costs, please check with the facilty first (some facilities don't allow calls to cell phones at all). Please be aware that it is against Federal BOP and all state DOC rules for an inmate to use “third party” services that try to reduce prison call costs. Some services like GoogleVoice (and many others) forward calls to another line, and call forwarding is not allowed. If you have GoogleVoice or one of these other services that forwards calls and your loved one is calling you, you are breaking those BOP or DOC rules. When the BOP or DOC finds out (and they will eventually), you could lose visitation and phone privileges. Google Voice definitely forwards calls to a different line; GV even talks about it on their own help desk site. Facilities have the technology to detect forwarded calls. When the facility detects a forwarded call (and it could be tomorrow or years from now), there are consequences. One of those consequences is disallowing the inmate to call the number that was forwarded and the person who owns the forwrded and/or forwarded-to phone could be taken off the inmate’s visitors list. I know the calls are expensive, but we have to follow their rules. I'm sorry.

Since call forwarding is not allowed by the facilities, discussing "how to" get those services borders on illegal activities which is against PTO policy cited below.

Please be sure to check with the facility first! It's better to be safe than sorry! Good luck to everyone!

• Illegal Activities:
Threads/replies encouraging illegal/unethical action (like “The best way to kill the neighbor’s dog” or "Have you had sex during a visit?"), or more importantly, anything relating to compromising the security of prisons and institutions (ETC) will not be allowed. Posts such as these will be deleted and may lead to you losing your posting privileges. This policy extends to profiles, avatars, etc., as well. PTO's policy on illegal activities also extends to references of gang activity, as gang activity is illegal (and especially in the prison systems). If you are affiliated with a gang and have a loved one in prison, you are certainly still welcome at PTO, but no reference to such affiliations in posts, profile, avatar, etc. is allowed.

faithwalk12
09-06-2012, 09:44 AM
Well the service with google as long as you have a gmail account is free, I've been using it for a few months now and I like it.

how do you dial 5 to accept when you have to dial 1 to get the call...always disconnects....help!!!!

tiger53
09-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Renee,

My understanding of the rules about receiving calls from inmates is that it applies to when you receive the call. The GTL brochure talks about not putting the inmate on hold, not attempting a 3-way call, not trying to transfer the call, etc. I don't think trying to use a service such as google voice is being addressed. I think you've made your point about ths on more than one occasion. I don't think this is "illegal" activity as you put it, at least that is the way I see it.

Renee
09-06-2012, 07:58 PM
tige53r,

Thanks for your reply! I am only trying to be cautious. GV is a call forwarding system from their end. They tell you that when you sign up. As a call forwarding system, they are transfering the call before you even hear it ring. I found this: calls from prison no longer going through on GV number - Google ... (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=bop%20and%20google%20voice&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&ved=0CC8QFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fproductforums.google.com%2Fd%2Fto pic%2Fvoice%2Fky0QJ0fgrnw&ei=n0FJUKTOF-O9yQHZmIGgDw&usg=AFQjCNHJL7QX4jwmRGnsZX74Am49BxsXxA) directly on GV's site, and if you search GV's help desk, there are many similar threads. GV may work for a while, and it may get blocked. I'm only trying to warn people who think about using it, and that's why I post the warning as much as I can.

In as much as the "legality" is concerned, as a Moderator on PTO, I follow the posting guidelines. If we members begin to talk about the "how to" of getting a GV number to circumvent and comprimise the security of the BOP or DOC and their rules about not forwarding calls, that's when a PTO Moderator should step in and delete the post (as indicated in the quoted policy above).

Ultimately, it's each person's own decision whether to use GV or not. I only want to provide information as information is power! Good luck to everyone!

Temeron0926
09-13-2012, 03:56 AM
I cant use google voice because I live in canada and you cant get it here but I did use a different company to get a washington number that forwards to my cell phone. It's not the same area code as where my guy is thought. Would it be worth it to change it to a local number that is closer to him? He said he though that all calls to washington numbers were the same price but is there any way to get it cheaper? at $3.68 a call we go through money pretty quick :)

$3.68 is the best you are going to get for phone calls. I live in the same city/area code as my hubby and I pay $3.68 for each call. Trust me this is GOOD!

jbells
03-12-2013, 10:00 AM
please please please someone instruct me how to set all this up... my bf is being transferred to a different facility soon... in NYS. hes currently in rikers where he is able to call my cell phone. i know some of u are saying its not allowed and such but his father was doing it a few yrs ago when he was locked up the last time. ive never done any of this before so please help! thanks!

Renee
03-12-2013, 06:36 PM
please please please someone instruct me how to set all this up... my bf is being transferred to a different facility soon... in NYS. hes currently in rikers where he is able to call my cell phone. i know some of u are saying its not allowed and such but his father was doing it a few yrs ago when he was locked up the last time. ive never done any of this before so please help! thanks!

You can use majic jack and google voice in NYS, but only if they are connected to a land line. All NYS prison calls must go through myvconnect.com. Please check out the New York Prison Phones, Packages & Mail (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=639) Forum as this thread is in WA, and you will not get the answers you need here. What works in one state does not work in another. I wish you the best of luck!

Nita86
06-29-2013, 11:15 AM
I am new to prison talk. I am ignorant to the whole jail system. I don't know how anything works. I just talked to my husband today and he told me about google voice. I set up an account & got a new number close to where he is. Now what's next? How do I add money to be able to talk to him. Should he just call me using money that is on his account or should he call me collect? Or is there a number I can call? This is the first time he's been in prison so I don't know how this works. I have spent over a $100 this month alone talking to him. I probably only talked to him a total of 1 hr but with all the fees involve it makes it so expensive. I can't afford this. I need an alternative. I need your help. He is in North Carolina if that makes a difference.

Renee
06-29-2013, 02:53 PM
Welcome to PTO! I don't know if Google Voice will work in your state or not. You may be risking phone and visitation privileges by using it. I think you should go her (http://www.doc.wa.gov/family/default.asp)e to learn how to set up your phone account, though. Good luck!