View Full Version : How much money does an inmate really need to survive 1 month ?

tarazana
02-24-2012, 07:12 PM
How much $ does an inmate really need to survive 1 month ?

∱r☻m m∂nnĄ's Ӈ∉∂r✞

stacienoelle
02-24-2012, 08:05 PM
i give my guy 80$ a month.

hisLoveBug92
02-24-2012, 08:10 PM
If I'm not mistaken most prisons only allow a certain amount of money to be spent each time they go to comminsary....
My mans never been been able to spend more than 85 every two weeks here in tx .... Now its only 35 since he went to medium custody
25/two weeks he says one can manage with that ....50/month

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using PrisonTalk

Beachhouse
02-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Mine had 200 deposited in his account in may of last year and has 40 left I believe.

Klewis
02-24-2012, 09:09 PM
I don't know how much money he needs to survive for a month but I know what I send and he never complains about it and that is $30.

SimplyMe123
02-25-2012, 04:01 AM
To survive? Nothing. His basic needs are met.

Now, he'll probably still be hungry, because what a person can survive on versus what it takes to actually feel full are two entirely separate things.

Send him whatever you can afford.

Princess1029
02-25-2012, 05:48 AM
I try to have money sent every other week if I can by his family. $50 usually, but some of what they send goes to email too.

Midnyghtcloud
02-25-2012, 06:17 AM
I send my man 100 bucks a month and his mom sends him 20 a week so he's well taken care of. I live with his folks cause his mom's sick n they pay me hundred a week to be there. Plus I can save my money. So it allows me to do for my man like that which makes me feel good knowing he's not going without.

svassas17
02-25-2012, 07:38 AM
Where my boyfriend is, u can't leave him more then 50 dollars, ( each person can only leave 50- so I guess like 3 people could leave 50 and he would have 150) but he uses that money for like shampoo, stamps, lotion, and all that stuff.., and then of course - I leave him 35 pounds of food a month and that gets him thru, but by the very end of each month - he's ready for the next package. Lol

babygirl0810
02-25-2012, 07:47 AM
I give my man $200 month

tarazana
02-25-2012, 08:03 AM
Well I send about 30 every 2 weeks but in this month put 300 so he could buy new shoes ,hot pot, fan for the summer,and a radio, I think he is spoiled tho lol Wich I dont mind, makes me happy to do for him,and he doesn't ask me for the $ I just do it and then tell him :)

∱r☻m m∂nnĄ's Ӈ∉∂r✞

FiFi n Miles
02-27-2012, 11:51 AM
Alot alot alot its true they need alot.

FiFi

thatwiz
02-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Depends on where he is and what he's accustomed to. When hubby had to pay for his phone, his food thru commissary(he did not eat in the mess hall) toiletries and whatever else-it was costing him about $150 a week. Thats being conservative as I think some months he spend $800. Food alone was over $100 a week, since he wasn't eating their stuff-the other went for phone, clothes and whatever else he needed. He was only at that place a few months tho'.

Sheryl P.
02-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Their needs can go up quite a bit with restitution,medical and if they are in shu they don't have much ability to do the usual things that might help them get by.

Olderthanmost
02-27-2012, 12:48 PM
I send what I can and he never complains. He knows that my funds are limited. I do without things just so we can talk on the phone. One day, it won't be like this. Until then, we will make it! :)

nakeisha99
02-27-2012, 01:37 PM
To survive? Nothing. His basic needs are met.

Now, he'll probably still be hungry, because what a person can survive on versus what it takes to actually feel full are two entirely separate things.

Send him whatever you can afford.

I agree, need and want are two different things. While my husband gets almost $500 a month from his family, he doesn't need that. That money is used for cable, calling cards and a bunch of junk food. All of which he can do without. So as others stated, just send what you can.

countryzgirl
02-27-2012, 03:08 PM
He doesn't need any money. He is given three meals daily, a clean bed, clothes, shelter, etc.
On the other hand, I need to pay for my food, mortgage, clothes, car/gas, utilities, etc.

mrbostonsgrl
02-27-2012, 03:26 PM
I'm pretty sure they'd survive with none. They might not be happy or comfortable, but they'd be alive. :thumbsup:

Anthonysgirl4
02-27-2012, 03:51 PM
They can SURVIVE on nothing. I don't send my guy a lot because I don't have a lot to send. I just sent him $300 for a new tv and he was extremely grateful. I try to send $30 a month because he loves to paint and needs art supplies. Trips to the doctor went up where he is from $3 to $5. That doesn't sound like much but when you don't have much, that is a lot!

Mrz Walker
02-27-2012, 05:44 PM
I send my husband $100 a month but that's just to keep him afloat.. In the feds u can email n I think its .5 a min n we email atleast 7 times Assyrian..Plus phone calls n food..It can get pretty expensive. Id say to live "comfortably id say close to $400 a month.. My husband sent me a store list! Some of the prices r ridiculous!!

Pie421
02-27-2012, 08:22 PM
He doesn't need any money. He is given three meals daily, a clean bed, clothes, shelter, etc.
On the other hand, I need to pay for my food, mortgage, clothes, car/gas, utilities, etc.

I agree! I have sent him books put money on phone(MY phone I can't afford to pay for him to talk to other people-especially since when he was in county his family would not accept collect calls I was the only one he talked to) and put about $17 on his commissary so he could get writing supplies since last June. He has told me he doesn't want me to send him money-he doesn't have to pay for the roof over his head or his three squares. So yes send what you can and if that's $0 in a month then he'll survive because YOU can't on $0 a month

dalesgirl
02-27-2012, 08:37 PM
Boy I seem heartless by you ladies example. I don't send him anything. I didn't put him there and don't owe him anything. When he comes home, we'll be partners but now I don't send anything. And he doesn't ask for anything. He makes about 70.00 a month and seems to now only get along on that but participate in charity events, and even attended college and got a set of dentures. He even pays half of the cost of his phone calls and I pay the other half. I know when he comes home, he knows the meaning of responsibility and being self supporting.
Even when i visit him, he seldom asks for anything.
I do try to support him in other ways. We visit as often as possible, i write tons of letters and we talk on the phone at least twice a week.

taraadele18
02-27-2012, 08:45 PM
I've got him way too spoiled. I send $200 a month. BUT he's not spending it all. He's saving it to buy me something when he gets out. He's my saving account! Ha.

Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk

Beachhouse
02-27-2012, 09:05 PM
Boy I seem heartless by you ladies example. I don't send him anything. I didn't put him there and don't owe him anything. When he comes home, we'll be partners but now I don't send anything. And he doesn't ask for anything. He makes about 70.00 a month and seems to now only get along on that but participate in charity events, and even attended college and got a set of dentures. He even pays half of the cost of his phone calls and I pay the other half. I know when he comes home, he knows the meaning of responsibility and being self supporting.
Even when i visit him, he seldom asks for anything.
I do try to support him in other ways. We visit as often as possible, i write tons of letters and we talk on the phone at least twice a week.

Mine would pay for my gas and stamps etc if I let him. He doesn't like me to buy him food at visits either. Part because he likes the guy to pay on dates and because he knows it's a lot. Mine could easily live on 70 a month.

Beachhouse
02-27-2012, 09:08 PM
This made me think of 2 things. 1. If he didn't have restitution I'd use him as a savings account. And 2. Here in Cali they moan and groan about how much it costs to upkeep each man in prison. Yet here some are sending 400 a month or more. So I wish there was a study done and we could see with the loved ones sending in so much how much the prisons really are contributing. I don't think my guys peanut butter sandwiches for lunch costs millions but the state thinks they do.

phatkatdiva
02-27-2012, 10:02 PM
I send $200 month on his account..
Phone priceless.. Esti: $150 month.. I try not tooo think bout it..
I have a great job govt worker.. But it gets costly .. But I do it from the heart sooooo it is what it is.......

dalesgirl
02-27-2012, 10:15 PM
Sounds like you have a keeper there> If mine asked me for a lot, we probably wouldn't be together.

Mine would pay for my gas and stamps etc if I let him. He doesn't like me to buy him food at visits either. Part because he likes the guy to pay on dates and because he knows it's a lot. Mine could easily live on 70 a month.

beeghlysgirl
02-28-2012, 01:35 AM
I send my bf 120$ a month plus a $15 dollar special care package once a month. Thats all he can have in a 28 day period. He does a lot of bead work so some of that goes for supplies not all for food.

countryzgirl
02-28-2012, 01:37 AM
If mine asked me for a lot, we probably wouldn't be together.

Same here. That's just how we roll...:cool:

24jf
02-28-2012, 10:14 AM
You should never send more than you are comfortable with and you and your children should never have to do without so he can have funds. Always remember, what he needs to survive is provided for him by the state.. what you send is used to make the time a little more bearable.

JAKLTS2798
02-29-2012, 05:32 PM
I've got him way too spoiled. I send $200 a month. BUT he's not spending it all. He's saving it to buy me something when he gets out. He's my saving account! Ha.

Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk

sounds like us.. i send him between $100-150 a month, his family also sends between $200-400 a month.. most of it is used for calls and emails, but also for food, clothes and recently songs for the mp3 players they now have.. but he's cut down on spending as of late, and using his account as a "savings" so when he's home he can make his contribution to our household from day one.. if they could only gain interest on their accounts, id send more so we could save more :D

denisegallegos
02-29-2012, 10:15 PM
Of course it depends on a lot of factors, i send mine about 50$ a week, sometimes less sometimes more.
He eats the food there but like his snacks and i don't mind if i can give, i will.
I enjoy spoiling him!

femmefatale76
03-01-2012, 12:01 PM
My husband is in reception still. I send 100 a month and of course a percentage is taken out. I send paper packages. When he is mainline ill do food packages and other items. But the 100 I send he gets 65. He never complains or never says its not enough.

But really, they don't need any! However, ill always do it when I can.

forever&always