View Full Version : After being sentenced how long until you go to prison?

Skye Blue
02-20-2012, 02:20 AM
How long will it typically take after being sentenced until you are sent to prison? I have heard it could be days, weeks or years.

fbopnomore
02-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Or it could be immediate. It all depends on the judge, and the prison system. If he is allowed to self surrender, the date will usually be decided by the Dept of Corrections. If he is remanded to custody, he will leave the courthouse in chains.

water_bills
02-20-2012, 12:56 PM
My husband was transferred within a month.

Skye Blue
02-20-2012, 11:42 PM
Or it could be immediate. It all depends on the judge, and the prison system. If he is allowed to self surrender, the date will usually be decided by the Dept of Corrections. If he is remanded to custody, he will leave the courthouse in chains.

What do you mean by self surrender? Are there some people who can go straight to the prison and turn themselves in without being in jail first? My husband is currently in jail after being sentenced. We don't know exactly when he will go to prison.

Skye Blue
02-20-2012, 11:44 PM
My husband was transferred within a month.

Oh wow! He was sent to prison super fast.

water_bills
02-21-2012, 12:06 AM
Oh wow! He was sent to prison super fast.

He was! He was in county for a year and a half, waiting for trial or a plea. He plead at the end of June, was sentenced in mid July and was in prison by the beginning of August. It went really fast once they figured out what they were doing.

Skye Blue
02-21-2012, 01:31 AM
He was! He was in county for a year and a half, waiting for trial or a plea. He plead at the end of June, was sentenced in mid July and was in prison by the beginning of August. It went really fast once they figured out what they were doing.

So it took him a year and a half before he went to trial? My husband was just recently sentenced. He is still in jail and we have no clue as to which prison he will be going to.

Onedaycloser13
02-21-2012, 05:50 AM
All those answers before are for other states and Federal, and really not going to help you when dealing with the VA system. In VA, it is an average of 6 months. Although, keep in mind right now they are in the process of closing one classification prison so it could take longer because of that.

water_bills
02-21-2012, 10:13 AM
So it took him a year and a half before he went to trial? My husband was just recently sentenced. He is still in jail and we have no clue as to which prison he will be going to.

Yup. Each state is different, though..

fbopnomore
02-21-2012, 11:05 AM
Amylynn: Some people are allowed to self surrender by the sentencing judge. Usually, but not always, if they are out on bond before sentencing, and the prosecutor agrees, they have a chance to turn themselve in at the prison.

It is completely up to the judge and the rules of each jurisdiction. Everyone in the courtroom except the judge recommended that I be allowed to self surrender, so I was remanded to immediate custody. If he is already in custody, I imagine the chances for SS are slim and none.

JLP
02-21-2012, 02:11 PM
How long will it typically take after being sentenced until you are sent to prison? I have heard it could be days, weeks or years.

It all depends....my man was sentenced on 1/27 and is still sitting in county, he had 4 co-defendants and the other two who have also been sentenced already have been shipped off to reception. Where he is now they do transfers Tuesday and Thursday nights, so he is hoping to go this evening. He's been in county 5 1/2 years, he's ready to go!!

Skye Blue
02-23-2012, 12:40 AM
All those answers before are for other states and Federal, and really not going to help you when dealing with the VA system. In VA, it is an average of 6 months. Although, keep in mind right now they are in the process of closing one classification prison so it could take longer because of that.

Are they going to make another prison a classification prison? How long will they normally stay at the classification prison? Will I be able to visit him while he is there?

Skye Blue
02-23-2012, 12:40 AM
Yup. Each state is different, though..

I'm seeing that the more I read the forums on here.

Skye Blue
02-23-2012, 12:44 AM
Amylynn: Some people are allowed to self surrender by the sentencing judge. Usually, but not always, if they are out on bond before sentencing, and the prosecutor agrees, they have a chance to turn themselve in at the prison.

It is completely up to the judge and the rules of each jurisdiction. Everyone in the courtroom except the judge recommended that I be allowed to self surrender, so I was remanded to immediate custody. If he is already in custody, I imagine the chances for SS are slim and none.

Unfortunately he was already in jail on the day that he was sentenced. He is still in the jail and we don't know exactly when he will be going to prison.

Skye Blue
02-23-2012, 12:52 AM
It all depends....my man was sentenced on 1/27 and is still sitting in county, he had 4 co-defendants and the other two who have also been sentenced already have been shipped off to reception. Where he is now they do transfers Tuesday and Thursday nights, so he is hoping to go this evening. He's been in county 5 1/2 years, he's ready to go!!

So they told him at the jail when they do the transfers? I thought they don't tell anyone when the transfer will take place because of security reasons. Why has he been in jail so long?

Skye Blue
02-23-2012, 02:49 AM

Does it make a difference that he is not going to federal prison?

Onedaycloser13
02-23-2012, 06:14 AM
The poster was talking about the prison picks up on certain days, I think mine was Tuesday and Thursday also. So, those are the only two days that he would have been picked up. So the inmates know kind if they are going to go, they will go on those days. So on Tuesdays and Thursdays, he would hope to be woken up really early and told he was going. He did not know he was going, as I talked to him the night before and then he called from the DOC system the next day. Surprised us both, by the way, he was allowed to bring a couple of letters and pics too. However, the DOC is much more strict than the jails when dealing with these things so if the pics are sexually suggestive or has lingerie or bathing suits on they will not allow them. As for the federal, no it has nothing to do with VA DOC. Actually the whole time I have been on PTO, have not heard of anyone in VA self surrendering. If they do, it would be at the jail....but honestly I am pretty sure the majority of people are remanded at the time of court. My loved one spent almost two years in the jail, it really just depends how long the court process takes on how long one stays in the jail. Some bigger cases will take years, so it is possible to spend years in jail before conviction.

JLP
02-23-2012, 08:28 AM
So they told him at the jail when they do the transfers? I thought they don't tell anyone when the transfer will take place because of security reasons. Why has he been in jail so long?

They told him (because he had been trying to get moved to a different mod for a few weeks at that point), but he's STILL there so who knows. He's been in county waiting for trial for an in-custody crime, it took them 5 years to finally get started. They screw around with him a lot there (because that's where he got in trouble, and his case shed lots of negative light on the sheriff's department), I think that's why they told him he was going to leave a month ago...because before they said they had no idea. Hoping he goes tonight!! All we do know for sure is that they move them Tuesdays and Thursdays....I will be so happy when this part of this journey is OVER.

Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk

Skye Blue
02-23-2012, 11:00 PM
The poster was talking about the prison picks up on certain days, I think mine was Tuesday and Thursday also. So, those are the only two days that he would have been picked up. So the inmates know kind if they are going to go, they will go on those days. So on Tuesdays and Thursdays, he would hope to be woken up really early and told he was going. He did not know he was going, as I talked to him the night before and then he called from the DOC system the next day. Surprised us both, by the way, he was allowed to bring a couple of letters and pics too. However, the DOC is much more strict than the jails when dealing with these things so if the pics are sexually suggestive or has lingerie or bathing suits on they will not allow them. As for the federal, no it has nothing to do with VA DOC. Actually the whole time I have been on PTO, have not heard of anyone in VA self surrendering. If they do, it would be at the jail....but honestly I am pretty sure the majority of people are remanded at the time of court. My loved one spent almost two years in the jail, it really just depends how long the court process takes on how long one stays in the jail. Some bigger cases will take years, so it is possible to spend years in jail before conviction.

Did it take 2 years for him to go to trial or did he spend 2 years in jail after he was sentenced?

Skye Blue
02-23-2012, 11:38 PM
They told him (because he had been trying to get moved to a different mod for a few weeks at that point), but he's STILL there so who knows. He's been in county waiting for trial for an in-custody crime, it took them 5 years to finally get started. They screw around with him a lot there (because that's where he got in trouble, and his case shed lots of negative light on the sheriff's department), I think that's why they told him he was going to leave a month ago...because before they said they had no idea. Hoping he goes tonight!! All we do know for sure is that they move them Tuesdays and Thursdays....I will be so happy when this part of this journey is OVER.

What's a mod? Why has it taken so long for him to go on trial?

JLP
02-24-2012, 02:07 AM
What's a mod? Why has it taken so long for him to go on trial?

A different living quarter/area of the jail, not general population, he is on 23 hour lock down. Between the courts being so slow and backed up, and there being so much ish with his trial (the lawyers and the DA going back and forth on this motion and that), it took 5 years for the trial to happen, and it lasted almost three months. That is one roller coaster I am glad to be off of....even though the outcome wasn't at all what we had hoped for, I'm just happy to be moving forward, and to know what time we are looking at.

Skye Blue
02-24-2012, 02:36 AM
A different living quarter/area of the jail, not general population, he is on 23 hour lock down. Between the courts being so slow and backed up, and there being so much ish with his trial (the lawyers and the DA going back and forth on this motion and that), it took 5 years for the trial to happen, and it lasted almost three months. That is one roller coaster I am glad to be off of....even though the outcome wasn't at all what we had hoped for, I'm just happy to be moving forward, and to know what time we are looking at.

That must be horrible being locked up 23 hours a day.

JLP
02-24-2012, 03:00 AM
That must be horrible being locked up 23 hours a day.

I can't even imagine :( he's been that way this whole time, without losing his mind. He's soo positive and amazing, I don't know how he does it. Things will improve for him significantly once he moves on, I am hoping he got picked up tonight!!!

Skye Blue
02-24-2012, 03:19 AM
I can't even imagine :( he's been that way this whole time, without losing his mind. He's soo positive and amazing, I don't know how he does it. Things will improve for him significantly once he moves on, I am hoping he got picked up tonight!!!

That's good that he is able to stay so positive. I hope he gets picked up tonight too.

Onedaycloser13
02-24-2012, 05:33 AM
Did it take 2 years for him to go to trial or did he spend 2 years in jail after he was sentenced?

No, he was in a total of two years. It only takes about 6 months give or take a couple of months for him to move to the DOC. They were closing many prisons during that time, so it took him a while.

Skye Blue
02-25-2012, 11:33 PM
No, he was in a total of two years. It only takes about 6 months give or take a couple of months for him to move to the DOC. They were closing many prisons during that time, so it took him a while.

I guess there really is no way to know for sure exactly when he will move from the jail to prison.

HerFonzi0210
02-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Ur dealing with the worst part rite now. The waiting game. My fiance was sentenced on November 17th.
.county told us she'd be doing her tine there and not transfer to a prison but on December 29 she got her DOC number which meant she was DOC property and would be transferring. When I called DOC they told me it could be any day after she received her DOC number or up to 6 months. Jan 11th we got a call saying they had picked her up that morning but couldn't tell us which facility she was going to. Once ur LO gets to reception he won't be able to call for about a week. My fiance wrote me the first nite she got there and we lived off of letters for about 2 weeks trying to get the phone system straight. While he is in intake u will not be able to visit. They are USUALLY in intake about 30 days give or take a few days. Once in population u can visit. Hope this helps some. I know how u are feeling rite now! Message me any time!

Best wishes :hugs:

Skye Blue
02-27-2012, 12:18 AM
Ur dealing with the worst part rite now. The waiting game. My fiance was sentenced on November 17th.
.county told us she'd be doing her tine there and not transfer to a prison but on December 29 she got her DOC number which meant she was DOC property and would be transferring. When I called DOC they told me it could be any day after she received her DOC number or up to 6 months. Jan 11th we got a call saying they had picked her up that morning but couldn't tell us which facility she was going to. Once ur LO gets to reception he won't be able to call for about a week. My fiance wrote me the first nite she got there and we lived off of letters for about 2 weeks trying to get the phone system straight. While he is in intake u will not be able to visit. They are USUALLY in intake about 30 days give or take a few days. Once in population u can visit. Hope this helps some. I know how u are feeling rite now! Message me any time!

Best wishes :hugs:

How did she get her DOC number? Did it come in the mail? So she was moved from jail to prison pretty quickly. I have another thread on here that asks specifically about how the phone system works in prison. When exactly were you able to set up the phone account?

galinva
03-08-2012, 08:17 PM
My LO just got moved last week. We waited from November until the following September to go through all of trial and sentencing. It took from November until February to get moved. He got lucky, many people where he was had been waiting 6 - 12 mos after sentencing to get moved.

galinva
03-08-2012, 08:20 PM
Oh he got his DOC number months before, like 3 months before. He just got his PIN to call. You have to set up an account with Global Tel Link if in VA and you need a phone bill and utility bill. That's all I know right now because I don't have a utility bill in my name, I'm at a standstill with that process. But I hope your LO gets moved soon and you're able to talk/visit soon.

Onedaycloser13
03-09-2012, 05:22 AM
When the DOC gets the court papers and processes the inmate, they will give him/her their DOC number. This generally happens months before they move them.

Ilovemymrwrong
03-19-2012, 06:46 AM
My husband is in the same boat he was senetece march 8th hes been in bristol VA city jail since jan17 an were wondering when hell be moved to prison too an which on

Ilovemymrwrong
03-19-2012, 06:50 AM
So if someone is only doing 12 months theu might stay in jail the whole time it seems like

Onedaycloser13
03-19-2012, 06:51 AM
I just wanted to say that I know the wait seems like forever, and you just want him out of the jail. Trust me, I remember it like it was yesterday. It will come, and then you will be doing his time...rather than the waiting game. Life gets so much more routine, just hang in their ladies....it will be soon. Just hang on a little longer!

Christine41
03-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Six months is the normal waiting time to get moved into a DOC prison. They are so backlogged that it could possibly take longer. And now the state says it's ok to keep inmates in prison if their sentence is TWO YEARS or less.
Also note, if the inmate put in a appeal to the court or a notice for sentence reduction that will keep them from being moved to the DOC also...in the jail they will sit until it's all said and done.

Nixmom
04-10-2012, 03:45 PM
My son got moved today. He was sentenced May 6, 2011 and waited all this time to transfer. Now that he has been moved I am a nervous wreck waiting to hear from him:(

Nixmom
04-15-2012, 11:48 AM
Just as a follow up - I didn't find out until Wednesday (the day after he was moved) that he was sent to Green Rock, which apparently is what they are using for reception instead of Mecklenberg. He said they are bringing in alot of new inmates almost every day. It only took me about a day after that to get the phone account set up with GTL (thank you for whoever said you can email your bill:)) The phone calls are crazy since Green Rock is about 3 1/2 hours away for us. It took him 5 days to get his glasses, which they took away for some reason. He said they are very unorganized about things, maybe because they are new for reception and intake. He has yet to talk to a couselor. He said there is nothing for them to do. The TV is silent because they need a radio or something to listen to it, only they are not allowed to buy radios while in intake - go figure. Worst of all is that we cannot see him for 60 days, but he is surviving and I guess that is all we can hope for at this point.