View Full Version : How does parole work in the Federal system?

staci1111
02-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Who decided how early someone can get out on parole. How much time do U have to serve on ur sentence before u can become eligible for
Parole. How dose parole
Even work?????

In the federal prison

dandm4life
02-12-2012, 09:34 PM
Unfortunatly there is no such thing as parole in the federal system if you were sentenced under the new guidlines. Parole was abolshed in the 80's. There are some individuals still in the federal system that were sentenced back then. They at this point serve it all except for 47 days a year good time based upon receiving no shots. Also some individuals qualify for the rdap program that can qualify for up to a year sentence reduction.

lovemipapi
02-12-2012, 09:44 PM
the out "early" is on the good time credits, and if eligiable for hwh -

with that said....

what confused me at first was the fact my guy will have supervised release for 5yrs, once he's done w/hwh/home confinement time (which hwh / home confinement is technically still part of his jail time yet he's jus not residing in a prison durin that time) then while on supervised release they still have a fed parole officer jus like anyone on parole...

so I guess sometimes it appears as tho fed still has parole, only they do not have parole in the way that you can go up infront of parole board to see if you can leave out on parole... supervised release is part of the sentence too from my understanding.

ilovealo
02-13-2012, 12:27 AM
question..i have a loved one who is soon to be paroling and the counselor is saying that she has to parole to the county of commitment.from my understanding,i thought that they are able to parole to the county of last legal residence?..someone please help

walkingtourist
02-13-2012, 01:07 PM
The federal system still has parole for inmates who were sentenced under the "old law," which was some time in the mid 1980s.
But for everyone who was sentenced since parole was eliminated, there is no such thing. People are sentenced to a specific amount of time and they are often also sentenced to "supervised release," which is like probation. This is not parole because this is part of the judge's sentence. The federal parole board exists only for those few people who have been in prison for that long or who have a long parole and are out of prison. They can be sent to prison for violating parole.

lovemipapi
02-13-2012, 01:21 PM
I guess it all depends...and if ur talking federaly? I can answer what happend w/my guy...he didnt goto a hwh where he commited the crime it was not in the state he last resided in, it was in another state... he went to hwh in the state he resided in - he also didnt live in the county that he went to... his parents however live in that county and he is now on home confinement which goes with his hwh time...

had we started this road much sooner as a couple he woulda been able to ask to come here in PA where i'm at instead of Tx - but since everything was already in place and it was too close to release time with only being several months away we didnt try to make any changes, plus he had promises he'd made to his family...so w/that said I can't answer specificialy could only offer what happend w/my guy leaving federal prison and being sent to hwh and then home confinement and then he will be on supervised release for 5yrs.

question..i have a loved one who is soon to be paroling and the counselor is saying that she has to parole to the county of commitment.from my understanding,i thought that they are able to parole to the county of last legal residence?..someone please help

fbopnomore
02-13-2012, 01:41 PM
For a federal sentence, he can earn 47 days of "good time" for every year of his sentence (as long as the sentence is at least 1 year and 1 day). He can also go to a half way house, usually for not more than 6 months before his release date. He can only earn extra time off from his sentence if he qualifies for, and completes the residential drug program, but that is not guaranteed. He can also lose good time for serious misconduct. His estimated release date on the bop inmate locator web page is his total sentence minus the maximum good time he can earn. His HWH date, if any, will happen before his release date because he will still be in bop custody, just not in prison.

MsCRS
11-05-2014, 07:30 AM
For a federal sentence, he can earn 47 days of "good time" for every year of his sentence (as long as the sentence is at least 1 year and 1 day). He can also go to a half way house, usually for not more than 6 months before his release date. He can only earn extra time off from his sentence if he qualifies for, and completes the residential drug program, but that is not guaranteed. He can also lose good time for serious misconduct. His estimated release date on the bop inmate locator web page is his total sentence minus the maximum good time he can earn. His HWH date, if any, will happen before his release date because he will still be in bop custody, just not in prison.

So the date on the FBOP site is already minus the Good Time!? Because then our sentencing date makes no sense at all.

fbopnomore
11-05-2014, 08:59 AM
Yes it does include the maximum amount of regular good time he can earn, but not extra time off for RDAP, or the time he may spend in "community corrections" (in a HWH or living at home on home confinement, which are still considered "being in bop custody"). If he loses good time for bad conduct, that will also adjust his estimated release date on the inmate locator.

Starting on the first day he was held in custody for the exact federal charge he was sentenced on (no matter where he was locked up), begin with his total prison sentence (not supervised release) and then subtract 47 days for each 12 months of that sentence. That should be the exact same date that is shown on the locator. If it isn't (and that can happen) he needs to file a grievance with his unit team in order to have his release date reviewed by the office in TX that does the computation.