FAX : (770) 504-2006

ADULT MALE FELONS
CAPACITY: 1785
CONSTRUCTED: 1968
OPENED: 1968
SECURITY LEVEL: MAXIMUM/UNDER DEATH SENTENCE
RENOVATED: 1998

MISSION:
Provides primary diagnostic services for the Department of Corrections. Also houses inmates under death sentence (UDS inmates).

HOUSING:
Consists of eight cell blocks containing both double-bunked and single-bunked cells. There are also eight dormitories and a medical unit.

WORK DETAILS:
Department of Transportation, National Guard Armory, Butts County and Butts County Sheriff's Office receive work details.

PROGRAMS: Academic: GED, Literacy, Remedial, Regional Test Site, Teacher Aide Training
Substance Abuse: Substance Abuse Education
Counseling: Prerelease, Family Violence, Victim Impact, Corrective Thinking
Recreation: General Recreation
Religious Activities: Various Worship Services, Study Groups and Pastoral Counseling

DIRECTIONS:
From Atlanta: Take I-75 South toward Macon to Exit 201 (Jackson/Barnesville). Exit and turn left, over the bridge and go approximately 1/4 mile. Turn left at the sign marking the entrance to GDCP and proceed down Prison Boulevard. Take a left at the fork and drive toward the tower ahead. Park to the left of the entrance.

Rubyf777
08-05-2006, 08:58 PM
Could you please send me an email advising me what prisons would be in the Carrollton, Georgia area. My fiancee is now in Jackson Diagnostics and will be there a few more weeks before they transfer him. I wa told he could ask for this area but where are the prisons in this area.Thanking you in advance..
Email ---Rubyf777@wmconnect.com

alone66
12-06-2008, 12:41 PM
Hi there,

If you go to http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/GDC/FacilityMap/jsp/FacQrybyFacility.jsp you can view the different facilities and you can view them by county. But remember that if you ask for a specific place you wont always get it. Its all up to the good ole GDC. Mine has requested a place up north over a year ago and he is still way down south GA. So good luck...

Missingyou05
12-13-2008, 12:35 PM
I have a question..I am new to this so bear with me. Ok, I know my B/F is at the GDCP. First off what is this place and why was he sent here? Is this where he will be for the 2 years he has to serve? Can I send him money? Can I send him socks and undies and stuff like that? Any info is appreciated.

Sad witout him!! Lost and alone!

Nanny12
12-14-2008, 04:29 AM
I sent you a private message so check it out and let me know if you have any questions.

I have a question..I am new to this so bear with me. Ok, I know my B/F is at the GDCP. First off what is this place and why was he sent here? Is this where he will be for the 2 years he has to serve? Can I send him money? Can I send him socks and undies and stuff like that? Any info is appreciated.

Sad witout him!! Lost and alone!

pepe3
02-17-2009, 09:47 AM
Yesterday, they moved my brother to the this prison. I pray he is Ok. He is a strong fellow. I miss him alot. I use to go visit him twice a wk at county level. I have heard that at this facility, he will not be allowed visits. Is this true. On Sunday before he was taken away, I left a money order for him will he have this when he get to that facility. Whoever, started this forum, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.

AMG2009
02-24-2009, 08:14 AM
This should be a temporary location for him. This is the processing center. He should be here at least 6-8 weeks. Of course that depends on how fast they move. Have faith and be strong. This too shall pass.

Amg!!!

JLynnM83
02-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Hi There!

I hope everyone is doing well and staying positive!

I am from Canada and my boyfriend is in Georgia USA! He was charged with theft by taking and violation of probation. He was sentenced to two years. He was at Gwinett County Detention Centre from July up until a few days ago. He has been transferred to Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison.
Being from Canada, I'm not entirely sure of how the prison system works in the USA. I'm basically learning as I go. I was told by someone at Gwinett County that if an inmate has a sentence of more then a year, they are eventually transferred to prison. Is this true?
Here's a list of my questions that I will hopefully be able to get answers to.

1) Why was my boyfriend transferred to Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison? And why was he transferred to a maximum security, when his only crime was theft by taking?

2) What does Diagnostic and Classification mean exactly? What is this place and what do they do?

3) His sister told me that he was in processing. What does this mean?

4) I understand that an individual can be granted parole 1/3 of their sentence. And my boyfriend has two years, making 1/3 of his sentence eight months. So his parole month should be March. But he told me that the parole board is four months behind, so March could turn into July. And I understand this. But my question is that, does his transfer effect him getting parole? Or can he still be granted parole?

5) At the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison, are the inmates divided according to type of crime? I guess I just want to know that he is safe and he wont be put into any situations that can jeopardize his chances of being granted parole.

The last time I heard from him was the middle of February when he was still at Gwinnett, so now I write him back. I've also asked him the same questions about his case.

I am hoping that someone can answer my questions and help me to understand what is going on.

Thanks so much!

CosmoKK
02-27-2009, 02:49 PM
Does anyone here have a permanent at GDCP?

kae
02-27-2009, 02:58 PM
hello JLynnM83.

welcome to pto and the ga forum family. i sent you a private message.

JLynnM83
02-27-2009, 08:36 PM
Thanks for your message.
I appreciate it. I cannot stand not having all the answers, because it just makes everything more difficult.
Can my boyfriend receive mail? And what do I have to include on the front of the envelope?
Thanks.

meggolynn
03-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Hi!
My husband was transferred to GDCP today, and I was wanting to get more information about the facility from those who have any! Please private message me with anything that might help me out, and know what I need to do to get him letters, money, etc!

JLynnM83
03-03-2009, 12:42 AM
I was just wondering if anyone knew the visitor's or phone policies for this GDCP?
Thank-you so much.
-Jennifer

dingy2366
03-05-2009, 12:14 PM
my husband is in GDCP and got there 02/24/09. he has a 10 mnth sentence. it is just now showing where he is at on the website, but not a tenative parole date. it does show the longest they can keep him. how long before he gets a tenative parole date, and also how long before he cans have visits, or make phone calls

upnorthchik
03-10-2009, 12:09 PM
hi i have a question my sons father has a max release date of 7/11/2010 i know he can possibly get out sooner due to parole(doesnt have a tpm yet) or whatever but he was just transferred last night to gdcp and i was wondering if i could send him letters during the 6-8 weeks he is there, because he know he cant have visits or calls and if i can send him letters do i have to include the gdc# on the envelope? and after he is done with the diagnostic process will he be automatically moved to wherever or will he stay there a while? Thanks!!

kae
03-11-2009, 08:16 PM
hello dingy2366 and upnorthchik. welcome to the ga forum! there are quite a few of us here that have been where you are. feel free to ask questions.

dingy2366- unfortunately, inmates with sentences under 3 years max out and serve the ENTIRE bid. they are not paroled. he will be able to get visits and calls once he is transferred to a permanent camp. (10 months will go by quicker than you think. just keep your head up and stay positive.)

upnorthchik - you can write while he is in d&c. you also send pictures and cards. you can send him money through the new consolidated system. you should including his gdc # in all correspondence. check the ga doc website for more info.

the guys stay at jackson until a bed is available at a camp. so the time spent there is different for everybody. its been averaging 4 to 6 weeks. my husband was there for a little over a month, but he finished his testing after a week or so of being there.

my advice to you both is to be patient. georgia doc moves at its on pace and nothing is consistent.

do a search in this forum. your questions were probably asked and answered in the past.

tdaisy30
03-12-2009, 07:38 PM
:thumbsup: you can send him letters it would be best to go head & write since u have his GDC #. dont wait on a letter from him. Put as much info as u can on the front of envelpoe. yea he will get his permanent assignment after hes @ diagnostics bout 6 weeks...hope this helped............................................ .....hi i have a question my sons father has a max release date of 7/11/2010 i know he can possibly get out sooner due to parole(doesnt have a tpm yet) or whatever but he was just transferred last night to gdcp and i was wondering if i could send him letters during the 6-8 weeks he is there, because he know he cant have visits or calls and if i can send him letters do i have to include the gdc# on the envelope? and after he is done with the diagnostic process will he be automatically moved to wherever or will he stay there a while? Thanks!!

dingy2366
03-21-2009, 07:26 PM
he just sent a letter, actually his second on march 17. said he had just come from parole hearing, and said that they were going to recommend he get parole. so he is thinking he could be out in the next few weeks. but he did say that he would be transferred in the next few weeks. so i dont know if he will get out after diagnostics, or have to go somewhere else for a couple of weeks. i know his boss is calling me every week trying to find out when hes gonna get out. said he would even go and get him when he gets released. he only had 2 employees, and now its only 1. small company. so he is even looking on the website now to see if hes got a TPM/ hello dingy2366 and upnorthchik. welcome to the ga forum! there are quite a few of us here that have been where you are. feel free to ask questions.

dingy2366- unfortunately, inmates with sentences under 3 years max out and serve the ENTIRE bid. they are not paroled. he will be able to get visits and calls once he is transferred to a permanent camp. (10 months will go by quicker than you think. just keep your head up and stay positive.)

upnorthchik - you can write while he is in d&c. you also send pictures and cards. you can send him money through the new consolidated system. you should including his gdc # in all correspondence. check the ga doc website for more info.

the guys stay at jackson until a bed is available at a camp. so the time spent there is different for everybody. its been averaging 4 to 6 weeks. my husband was there for a little over a month, but he finished his testing after a week or so of being there.

my advice to you both is to be patient. georgia doc moves at its on pace and nothing is consistent.

do a search in this forum. your questions were probably asked and answered in the past.

KimberlyBall
04-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Ok I know the basic's, and probably a little more, but my fiancee has been in Jackson for 14 WEEKS!!! WHY he is done with processing, he says he thinks they've lost his paperwork! I have called Atlanta and they just keep on forwarding me to the voicemails of the trashcan I guess I havent received a call back and I have been calling for a month! He hasn't got his TPM yet he hasn't heard anything, I talked to someone in Atlanta in January and they told me his felony was a scheduled 1 and he only got 5 years and on the grid sheet it says that he will only have to do 6 months, he's going on his 8th month, I need help! Does anyone know who I should call or what we need to do??!!

PLEASE help, ANY info will be greatly appreciated!
Kimberly Ball

missingphp
04-23-2009, 08:35 AM
I got to visit my son for the first time yesterday!

Here is the info. I have on "Jackson Diagnostics" the visiting is mon, tues, wen, and thurs. 9-11 and 2-4 and on fri. 9-11.

Call and make sure you and whomever else is on the visit list. My son filled his out the first day and was so (in shock) that he forgot to add his grandparents.

I was told Mornings are better because the afternoon visit can not start until the count is complete and that has run as late as 3:30. Visits end on time no matter what time they start. (We finally went in around 3:10)

Take only your i.d., keys and tag # (I wrote my tag # and things I wanted to remember to talk about on my hand) they will take your keys/id and give you a claim disk. You have to turn your pockets inside out so be aware :o)

The visit area has a large waiting room with vending machines (not sure what that area is for ) But the actual place we did the visit is like two long halls with a steel screen seperating our loved ones from us. There were only 5 people there yesterday afternoon but I would imagine if it were full that it would be very hard to hear.

Also... when I first heard he had shipped out I filled up 4 large 10x13 manilla clasp envelopes with print outs, photos(print them on regular paper and they can get all you send), and just anything I could think of to print out.

And I put some more money on his account. Php said that some people wait for weeks for their J-pay to transfer and that it really helped to have something to keep him busy until he got his bearings. He is blessed because he has a deep sense of the peace of God and is fully trusting in God to keep him through it all.

He said that he doesn't buy much at a time because there was a lot of stealing going on and people are always trying to borrow stuff. He has inrolled in all the bible correspondence courses he has found out about and said he mainly stays busy reading the material I send. He has finished everything and is just waiting to leave....

I am trying to list everything I know... all the officers whom I have spoken with have been really nice and helpful.

Oh... coming from Atlanta there are three Jackson exits ... its the third one :p and there are a few big truck stops (flying J, T/a, and others) I believe it is exit 201.... there are signs pointing the way on the exit ramp. And the prison is not even a 1/2 mile from the exit.

I think that is about all :)

Trust in the Lord thy God and lean not unto your own understanding.:thumbsup:

MARTHE
04-23-2009, 08:17 PM
Thank you very much for this useful info. l just asked someone in a post about visit days there before l found yours!
My boyfriend Ken has been there for 9 months now and helps the chaplain. l am sure your son meets him every day from what you say.
l live in Thailand and plan to go to visit him next month. Hopefully he will become a permanent there before l arrive and will be able to have visitors.
Ken writes me a lot and also talks about the stealing in this "miniature hell". He should have an appeal soon and get out of there. l can't wait!
Thanks again and all the best to you and your son.

lbout
04-28-2009, 08:08 AM
How do you put money on the commissary account for an inmate at GDCP?

Mommy4Two
04-29-2009, 07:37 AM
hi i have a question my sons father has a max release date of 7/11/2010 i know he can possibly get out sooner due to parole(doesnt have a tpm yet) or whatever but he was just transferred last night to gdcp and i was wondering if i could send him letters during the 6-8 weeks he is there, because he know he cant have visits or calls and if i can send him letters do i have to include the gdc# on the envelope? and after he is done with the diagnostic process will he be automatically moved to wherever or will he stay there a while? Thanks!!

Yes, you can write him and he can write you... You should always include his GDC# on his mail, and once he lets you know his location within the prison (k-5/132B), you should include that too... It's a good habit to start because some prisons will send back your letter if it doesn't have that info... But you'll need to make sure he has money on his account so he can get envelopes and stamps... Once he finishes the diagnostic process he will more than likely remain there for a while, but not too long... It depends on how far behind the GADOC is...

Hope this helps!!

Mommy4Two
04-29-2009, 07:46 AM
How do you put money on the commissary account for an inmate at GDCP?

The state of GA has a new consolidated banking process that they use for all inmates... You can visit the GADOC website here: http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/default.html

The opening page has the info, you just click on the part where it says "Send inmate commissary funds", but in short here are a few ways to do it...

Money Orders: GA Dept. of Corrections, P.O. Box 405699, Atlanta, GA 30384-5699 (you'll need to print out a voucher with his name and ID# on it to include with your money order) *do not send money directly to the prison!*

JPAY: online, by phone or in person (incurs a fee)

Western Union: online, by phone or in person (incurs a fee)

his1&only
05-11-2009, 02:58 AM
Hello all,

I am new to this entire experience, my fiance is currently at the GDCP facility. He was sentenced to life for murder. We are from Louisiana and its hard not being able to see or talk to him regularly. He has been there since 4-22-09 and I was hoping that someone could give me a bit of information on the kind of environment this place is. He came from Clayton County and is was a pretty laid back facility, and we're hoping this place is too. So any information about the background of this place is greatly appreciated.

Mommy4Two
05-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Hello all,

I am new to this entire experience, my fiance is currently at the GDCP facility. He was sentenced to life for murder. We are from Louisiana and its hard not being able to see or talk to him regularly. He has been there since 4-22-09 and I was hoping that someone could give me a bit of information on the kind of environment this place is. He came from Clayton County and is was a pretty laid back facility, and we're hoping this place is too. So any information about the background of this place is greatly appreciated.

Welcome to PTO!!! The Diagnostic Prison is just that... They go there to get "classified"... they take their tests and physicals, bloodwork and they also talk with a parole hearing examiner who will prepare his parole file... It's possible that he will become a permanent there, but he will more than likely be sent to another facility. I don't think I would call it laid back though... Most people hope to be in and out as quickly as possible... He can write you and you can write him, he can go to store, but you'll have to put money on his books...(see above post about how GA now does money for inmates) He can't get visits or phone calls at first, but after he's been there for 6 weeks (I think) then he can have both...

nikkicoop
05-12-2009, 07:22 AM
i need information for a PERMANENT inmate at Jackson- what can be sent in packages, how visitiation works, how phone calls work, etc.. anyone?? When I call there they are SO unhelpful.

Mommy4Two
05-12-2009, 11:14 PM
There are a few posts on here about permanents... If you don't get any answers, I'd go and search this forum for some info! And just a tiny bit of advice... learn to be annoying!! LOL If they don't give you the answer, ask again and just word it a little differently!! Ask until you understand!! And if they don't answer still, ask for a counselor! Just like with any customer service, the ones that answer the phones always have supervisors!! :D

dingy2366
05-13-2009, 06:58 AM
i need information for a PERMANENT inmate at Jackson- what can be sent in packages, how visitiation works, how phone calls work, etc.. anyone?? When I call there they are SO unhelpful.

hi, visits for perm. are on the weekends, and all visitors have to be on visitation list, even children, no matter their age. get there around 830 because visits start at 9 till 3/ i havent made it down there yet, because we are waiting on them to add the grandchildren, but that is what counselor told me, counselor for perm are Mr. Blalock and Ms. Medlock. I have talked to Mr Blalock, and he is very helpful. I did ask about underwire bras , and they said that it is ok to wear one.

tammylynn5858
08-20-2009, 04:22 PM
Hello and thank you fore all the information you provided fore support,I have a very important question and have evidentily posted it in several wrong places,so ill try again asking you this time,My name is Tammy White.I live in south eastern Georgia,iam trans gendered from birth defects,have been under doctors care and on female hormones fore this condition,have lived most my life as female,despite not passing well in society,Over a year agoe I was on a new depressent medication which had really caused me problems and discontinued since,had made a mistake and arressted for bugleary which i donot recall alot about,i have public defender,and iam just plain terrified the thought alone the possibility of sentenced to prison,i have been raped and sexuality abused on several accounts ture out my life,given this information in your opinion and knowledge with the prison system is ther a good possibility that i may have to undergoe some extensive evaluation like a state mental hospital and is there any special needs units that would address my disability that your awear of,I also have a learning disability,i have a pass record and did serve time in the earily 1980s,i sincerely appreciate your expertise and time to my concerns,Tammy White,

babygirl2014
05-20-2010, 09:34 PM
Hello, I 'm new to this site and you all have been very helpful. My questions and concerns have been answered already, without me having to post a long message full of questions. The identification number that was given to him at Cobb County Jail, is it the same at GDCP? And if not, how do I retreive that information?

Glamorous
05-23-2010, 09:59 AM
I am new to this site to I dont have an answer to your question but wanted to ask I have someone who was transferred to Diagnostic a couple of weeks ago how long do they stay there. Have you been able to write your person and get letters back from them. Please write back thank you.

Hello, I 'm new to this site and you all have been very helpful. My questions and concerns have been answered already, without me having to post a long message full of questions. The identification number that was given to him at Cobb County Jail, is it the same at GDCP? And if not, how do I retreive that information?

babydoll113
05-27-2010, 03:08 PM
No, the GDC number is his id number assigned by Georgia Department of Corrections. You should be able to look him on the GDC website to obtain his number. If not, you may get lucky and get a nice guard at jackson to give it to you. Hope this helps

babydoll113
05-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Yes you can write to someone at Jackson and they can write back. You will need to call the prison to ask what dorm they are in. They will usually give you the information you need to get them a letter. And they''re usually there approx 60 days, could be more could be less. Hope this helps
I am new to this site to I dont have an answer to your question but wanted to ask I have someone who was transferred to Diagnostic a couple of weeks ago how long do they stay there. Have you been able to write your person and get letters back from them. Please write back thank you.

mandepoo
07-09-2010, 01:25 PM
MY boyfriend was sentenced to 2 yrs in January with credit for the 10 months that he sat in Dekalb county waiting for trail. I went to see him Tuesday to let him know the parole board called me concerning him being up for parole and was told that he is no longer there, so I checked the Ga Dept of Corrections website and the DeKalb county website when I got home. The Ga Dept of Corrections shows him still in Dekalb county but Dekalb shows him released @ 2:53 Am on 7/6/2010. How do I find out if he is @ Ga Diagnostic now. The not knowing what is going on is killing me.

lil_mamaqj
10-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Hi my husband was recently sent 2 g.d.c.p Oct 1st. He was in gwinnett corrections and i received a phone call on da 28th of september that he was in gwinnett county jail and they was sending him to jackson ga for some diagnostics test b4 he goes home. They told him it will proably take up to 3 wks for the test 2 get done and after that they gone take him to the bus station in atlanta. Also gwinnett county sent me a letter telling me 2 pick up all of his belongings from gwinnett county jail. LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT OR HAVE ANY CLUE WHATS GONE PROBABLY HAPPEN!!!

lil_mamaqj
10-09-2010, 10:32 PM
Also what is da number 2 da prison

jas1025
10-10-2010, 06:34 PM
My boyfriend is in jackson and i am trying to find out how can i request that he be sent to a near-by prison...if anyone can help me with this question please do...thanks!!! :)

hughbaby
11-01-2010, 07:02 PM
I am new to this site. My husband is about to be sent here. Any information that anyone can give me would be great.GOOD OR BAD

Brandi76
11-01-2010, 08:07 PM
My boyfriend is in jackson and i am trying to find out how can i request that he be sent to a near-by prison...if anyone can help me with this question please do...thanks!!! :)

He can make a request to be moved, but I believe he may have to wait until he leaves Jackson. The other thing is that if he makes a request to be moved that does not mean they will move him to where he wants to be moved.

Brandi76
11-01-2010, 08:10 PM
I am new to this site. My husband is about to be sent here. Any information that anyone can give me would be great.GOOD OR BAD

Welcome to PTO. While he is in Jackson he can not make any phone calls, or receive visits. He will be there between 3 to 6 weeks. Look for him to be there on the longer end of that range. Once the move him you will be able to go visit. I'm not sure if you wll have to fill out a form to be approved. I am not married to my man, so I had to fill out a form which it took 2 weeks to be approved. I have gone to see him every weekend since they have approved me.

Good Luck!!

kpkp
11-01-2010, 11:01 PM
people say there is no phone calls in jackson. its not always true. i was able to get calls 1week after he was sent to diagnostics; it depends where they are in the prison. since its the only diagnostic center they now house them where perm. use to be and there are phones in those dorms....

waitn4mybaby
11-02-2010, 10:58 AM
Hi my husband was recently sent 2 g.d.c.p Oct 1st. He was in gwinnett corrections and i received a phone call on da 28th of september that he was in gwinnett county jail and they was sending him to jackson ga for some diagnostics test b4 he goes home. They told him it will proably take up to 3 wks for the test 2 get done and after that they gone take him to the bus station in atlanta. Also gwinnett county sent me a letter telling me 2 pick up all of his belongings from gwinnett county jail. LET ME KNOW IF ANYONE KNOWS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT OR HAVE ANY CLUE WHATS GONE PROBABLY HAPPEN!!!

It sounds like he has already done most of his time in the county jail, they just have to send him to Diagnostics to be entered into the state system. I have heard of people being released directly from Diagnostics. The reason Gwinnett County wants all his belongings picked up is because most county jails have a time limit (usually 30 days) and if their things are not picked up then they dispose of them. Good luck with everything, hopefully he'll be home real soon. The information to the prison is:

ADDRESS:
HWY 36 WEST
POST OFFICE BOX 3877
JACKSON, GA 30233
PHONE:(770) 504-2000 / FAX: (770) 504-2006

tammylynn5858
11-23-2010, 06:27 PM
Hi My name is tammy White i live in south eastern georgia and could be looking at time,,,Iam sceard mostly because iam both sexs,,,,dose any body know where thay would place me ???/ thanks fore any advice,,,,

tammylynn5858
11-23-2010, 06:28 PM
Hi My name is tammy White i live in south eastern georgia and could be looking at time,,,Iam sceard mostly because iam both sexs,,,,dose any body know where thay would place me ???/ thanks fore any advice,,,,

Brandi76
11-25-2010, 10:19 AM

If you wwere born as both sexes I woulf think they would classify you as whatever you classify yourself.

chagrly22
01-02-2011, 12:50 PM
Hi I am wanting to know any information anybody has on Jackson Diagnostics and Bainbridge in GA. My brother is in county jail and is waiting to be sent to Bainbridge to complete the bootcamp prison there. He has heard that he might go through Jackson for Diagnostics first. I just wanted to know if he will be able to contact his family and if during the evaluation he will be housed with general population or not. He already knows where is going to end up so I am wanting to know if anybody knows how long he will be at Jackson if he does go there. I feel like my family and I are going through this blind and any information at all would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

kae
01-05-2011, 03:33 PM
hello chagrly22,

Your brother will be allowed to contact you only through letters while he is being evaluated. Every inmate's time at Jackson varies but its been averaging 4 to 6 weeks lately. He will be in general population.

Many questions you may have about Jackson D & C have been addressed in this group. if you do a search, you will come across a lot of info you need.

Welcome to the ga forum.

abclove
01-06-2011, 09:31 AM
I have just found out that my loved one has been sent to Diagnostics from Gwinnett Correctional Facility just a few days ago, I have not heard from him, but I do understand that it does take a few days to get booked in.

My question is- can I go visit him this weekend without receiving notice that I have been approved first? I was on his visitation list in Gwinnett, so I'm hoping that the approval just gets carried over to the Diagnostics place. Or do they have to fill out a whole new visitation list and get it approved all over again?

Also, I'm sure that I can find an address on the web, but if anyone writes to their loved one in Diagnostics regularly- if you could post the address that I am supposed to send it to I would really appreciate it. I want to double check that I am sending to the correct address so the letter can get to him asap.

Thank you

abclove
01-19-2011, 03:28 PM
My loved one was transferred to diagnostics on 1/6/11, four days later i received a letter from him. It's been 2 weeks now and i haven't heard anything else from him!

I am completely shocked, I have made sure that there is plenty of money on his books to buy stamps.. and I KNOW that he would have written me another letter within 2 or 3 days of his first letter..

how long does it take for mail to go out of that place?

kae
01-19-2011, 05:24 PM
abclove,

last week's mail may have been delayed due to weather.

vtkaty13
05-12-2011, 03:08 PM
[CENTER][SIZE=4]

[B]TEL.: (770) 504-2000
FAX : (770) 504-2006

When I called this # I got an automated menu for all GDOC. What is the direct line to Jackson? Does anyone know the mailroom #?

Thanks

ms.williams
05-31-2011, 04:51 PM
Hey uncle danny Young i c u back in jail. U just dont know how to stay out of trouble this days. Well we miss u. Love u always

Hdz_Ncy
06-19-2011, 04:15 PM
My boyfriend just got moved to Georgia Diagnostic & Classification Prison why are they sent their? I also heard that in order to get paroled he mist live in a house not an apt is this true??? I would appreciate any info
Please and thank you :]

sldamron
06-25-2011, 05:26 AM
can anyone send me information on Ga diagnostic center in Jackson Ga. My son was sent there and I have no idea the address to write him or what phone service to put money on. I sent him money using jpay but will they notify him. any help would be appreciated.

April4
07-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Hi There!

I hope everyone is doing well and staying positive!

I am from Canada and my boyfriend is in Georgia USA! He was charged with theft by taking and violation of probation. He was sentenced to two years. He was at Gwinett County Detention Centre from July up until a few days ago. He has been transferred to Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison.
Being from Canada, I'm not entirely sure of how the prison system works in the USA. I'm basically learning as I go. I was told by someone at Gwinett County that if an inmate has a sentence of more then a year, they are eventually transferred to prison. Is this true?
Here's a list of my questions that I will hopefully be able to get answers to.

1) Why was my boyfriend transferred to Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison? And why was he transferred to a maximum security, when his only crime was theft by taking?

2) What does Diagnostic and Classification mean exactly? What is this place and what do they do?

3) His sister told me that he was in processing. What does this mean?

4) I understand that an individual can be granted parole 1/3 of their sentence. And my boyfriend has two years, making 1/3 of his sentence eight months. So his parole month should be March. But he told me that the parole board is four months behind, so March could turn into July. And I understand this. But my question is that, does his transfer effect him getting parole? Or can he still be granted parole?

5) At the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison, are the inmates divided according to type of crime? I guess I just want to know that he is safe and he wont be put into any situations that can jeopardize his chances of being granted parole.

The last time I heard from him was the middle of February when he was still at Gwinnett, so now I write him back. I've also asked him the same questions about his case.

I am hoping that someone can answer my questions and help me to understand what is going on.

Thanks so much!
Hi, my name is april. My husband was transferred to GDCP yesterday. This is where they evaluate the inmates. If they were on drugs previously, or have mental issues,etc. this is where they will find out where to place the inmates. Either in max security, medium, or min. The usual time they are here is 6-8 wks. Could be longer. He will still be eligible for parole.

neverbthesame
02-02-2012, 11:46 AM
my son has been at GDCP since oct and clearly past the 90 days. Since he is classified as diagnostic and not a permanent he cannot receive books or anything. My question is how can I get a special visit since I am in Illinois and he is in Georgia when every time he submits are request they go unanswered. I call and each time I am told something different. How can I get accurate info and what can he do to get his request to see a counselor answered? Thanks

mydearestson
04-07-2012, 05:13 PM
hello JLynnM83.

Hi everyone, I am lost my 24 year old son was transported last week from lowndes county jail in valdosta to jackson diagnostic and i just recieved a letter from me and was shocked because i was told it would one month before i hear from him. This is his first time in prison and i hope the last but i have so many questions. First is there a website that give information on his such as his destination and his maximum release date. Yes like many others I am going crazy and feeling as if i let my son down although he had an attorney it was like having a child represent him. I understand jackson is very rough, of course i never expected prison to be anything but rough. he is requesting money for commissary and for phone i certainly appreciate any advice you can give.
thanks.:hmm:

mydearestson
04-07-2012, 05:30 PM
I understand Jackson is where they house inmates on death row, it is really scaring me although my son nick is their at jackson he is not as strong as most think. I feel as if I am all alone yet I understand other families are going through the same. Hang in there to all.

Praying4myson
05-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Is there anyone that has any first had knowledge or any information that could share with me about Jackson State Diag? My son was just transferred there on Monday. Are they locked down all day? Will he be able to call home? Is that place as dangerous as I have read about on the web? HELP ME PLEASE! Any information will help.

s&talways
05-23-2013, 11:32 AM
No they are not on lockdown all day, though during the diagnostic process there is nothing for them to do. He will not be able to call home until after he has finished diagnostics which can take 2-6 weeks, they seem to be moving them through pretty fast though, my LO was finished in 13 days so it was not that bad. He will be able to write to you, so if you are able to make sure you put some money on his books so he is able to go to "store". Jackson uses Globel-tel for phone calls so you might want to look into setting up an account with them so he is able to call once he is done with the process. My LO has been at Jackson about 6 months now, he was made a permanent there once he was done with diagnostics, and in the time that he has been there it has been pretty quiet, no major fights or whatnot, though I have been told that the permanent side of the compound is more relaxed with less chaos than the diagnostic side, but my Hubby had no problems while in diagnostics either. It's not as bad as it's made out to be, though I am sure it's not a bed of roses either. Just try to relax, I know easier said than done, but he will be okay I am sure of it. Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions and I will do my best to answer them for you.

Lesliezack
08-22-2013, 06:03 AM
Hi, I was not sure where to post this.
My question ...is do women go to Jackson Diagnostic and Classification prison too ?
Or are they classified somewhere else?
Thanks so much

s&talways
08-22-2013, 10:45 AM
Hi, I was not sure where to post this.
My question ...is do women go to Jackson Diagnostic and Classification prison too ?
Or are they classified somewhere else?
Thanks so much

No, Jackson is a men's only facility. I believe women go to Arrendale State Prison for diagnostic's and classification.

Lesliezack
08-22-2013, 04:45 PM
No, Jackson is a men's only facility. I believe women go to Arrendale State Prison for diagnostic's and classification.

Thank you so much!:)

jessieka2012
09-06-2013, 08:51 PM
my boyfriend was just sent here and there is no possible way for me to get to him to give him money so how do you send money orders?

s&talways
09-06-2013, 09:06 PM
my boyfriend was just sent here and there is no possible way for me to get to him to give him money so how do you send money orders?

You can go to the Ga Dept of Corrections website and get all the info you need to send a money or to them. But it can take a while for them to get it. The quickest way to get your LO money is either JayPay or Western Union quick collect, which both can be done online and take about 24hrs to get placed on their account.

clingingtohope
12-12-2013, 06:44 PM
Is there anyone that has any first had knowledge or any information that could share with me about Jackson State Diag? My son was just transferred there on Monday. Are they locked down all day? Will he be able to call home? Is that place as dangerous as I have read about on the web? HELP ME PLEASE! Any information will help.

My ex-husband was transferred there about a week ago. He is in diagnostics and is what they term a "parole revocator." He was able to write me the day after he arrived and has followed up with another letter and card since then. He says that the PR's are on lockdown 24 hours a day until they are fully processed into the system. They even receive their trays in their cells. If your son doesn't fall into that category, it may not be the same with him. My ex-husband also told me that it will be some time before he can make phone calls. I've read around the forum that it may be as long as six weeks to 90 days. My ex-husband asked me to go ahead and set up a phone account with GlobalTel (which I've done) so that he can call me when it's permissible. I don't know about the level of danger there.

I hope this helps.

KRW
01-30-2014, 11:34 AM

???? I saw today that my hubby was moved here. He has sat 6 month in jail before and he has a two year sentence. WHY you say he needs to be locked up all two years? I've never heard that before. Doesn't he have the right to parole all of a sudden? He's 1/3 is coming up now in March and I was hoping he would come out soon. Any ideas on how long he will be in there.. and I HOPE you're wrong!!

KRW
01-30-2014, 02:35 PM
hello JLynnM83.

Too bad you didn't answer in thread since i have exact same questions, with hubby also on two years and 1/3 in March