View Full Version : Marriage at Kit Carson

02-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Hi. Im new here so i dont really know where to post at so hopefully this is in the right area. Anyways I was wondering if anyone knows how someone would hget married at the Kit Carson Correctional Center? My boyfriend is currently there and we would like t get married but we have no idea where to even start this process. Any help is appreciated!

02-01-2012, 06:05 PM
Hi and welcome to PTO! Getting married in CO is actually pretty easy. We were just married in June. Here are the steps you'll need to take:
1) Have your bf complete a "Request for Proxy Marriage" form. This is pretty much just "permission" from the prison/warden to be married. He can get the form from his case manager or you can send it to him (it's online).
2) Obtain an "Absentee Affidavit" from the county clerk's office or online. He'll need to sign this and have it notarized.
3) Once you receive his signed affidavit, take this and his birth certificate to the county clerk's office. You'll have to pay $30 to obtain the marriage license.
4) There are two ways you can get married. One is by proxy (someone can stand in for him), the other is self solemnization (much easier). If you choose this method, you will sign and if possible, he will sign. We were lucky because the warden let me take in the license to the visiting room so he could sign it. If this isn't possible, you can obtain a power of attorney and sign the license for him. Once everything is signed, take back to the county clerk to get recorded. Make sure you get a couple of copies - one for him and one for the prison.

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions, let me know!