View Full Version : Question on what happens to inmate property from jail to prison.

lmlindsey
01-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Hi everyone. Really could not figure out the best section for this but technically this is a jail question. From what I understand when the inmate is transferred from the jail tp prison his belongings do not go with them? This is ocj/33 also btw. Or does it? If not will they allow ssomeone to pick up the property?

Niki
01-29-2012, 10:42 AM
When my son was transferred from Brevard Co. jail to the state they shipped his belongings to me (at his expense, of course) but I believe he can fill out a form requesting they be released to you at 33rd ST (OCJ) so you can pick them up. The best thing to do is call OCJ and ask to speak to someone in the property room.

ben's girl
01-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Some things he will be allowed to take with him from the jail but may not be allowed to keep in prison. If that's the case, ask him to let you know because you can have those items shipped to you as well, again at his expense from his trust fund account. If that does happen to him and you need specifics on how to get something shipped to you, you can call the proeprty sgt at the reception center to get the info.

lmlindsey
01-29-2012, 12:36 PM
Thank you. I am going to call the jail as suggested to make sure I get all of those details.

NAN425
02-15-2012, 07:06 AM
If the property is at the jail and he's still there, he can sign a release form and you can go pick it up. That's what my husband did for the clothes that he had on the day he went to court. It really sucked being at the jail knowing he was somewhere in that building, miserable, and I couldn't see him.

amickeyfan
02-15-2012, 05:15 PM
My son went from Lee County Jail to the SFRC. The Lee County Jail transferred all of his belongings there, knowing he could not have them :angry: The SFRC then had him mail them home costing him a fortune! Had the freaking County just let us pick up his belongings, it would have saved us a lot of money. We are talking like $20+ here...:angry: The County Jail would have been a 15 minute drive for us.. :blah:

lmlindsey
02-15-2012, 10:40 PM
Wow! I swear sometimes they have no rhyme or reason! I mean that is $20+ that I am sure he could have used for other things! Looks like I will need to get it before he is moved to avoid anything like that

It sucks even driving pastthe jail which is almost daily due to working and family. Its a great hit reminder every time. Where he is he has a perfect view of the gas station across the street and he always looks out for the van before video visitation. Think to myself about seriously how miserable it must be. I am sure he also wishes he could walk across the street and get a mountain dew :(

NAN425
02-16-2012, 07:05 AM
I am sure he also wishes he could walk across the street and get a mountain dew :(

When he transfers to state he'll be able to get that snack! The state DOC canteens, which he will be able to get to on almost a daily basis most likely once he arrives at reception, sell things like cold sodas and snacks (for a price LOL). No Mountain Dew though because they have Coke, but they do have Mountain Dew in the vending machines of the visitation park at my husband's camp. He always wants me to buy him one. :)

Visitation for the guys is only half about seeing us. The rest of it is about eating all the food they sell in the VP canteen that isn't available in the canteens for the rest of the camp. I know where I rate...and it's only slightly above a can of Mountain Dew. haha :rolleyes:

lmlindsey
02-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Oh that news will make him very happy lol!

His two addictions were stripped from him, soda and cigarettes. He was always ok as long as he had one or the other lol. I saw no more smoking but he is doing well with that. His resolution was to quit anyways. But he loves his mountain dew! I think any carbonated beverage will make him happy at this point. So I would not be shocked if he went and hugged a Pepsi ( hopefully they have one wherever he goes!) machine at visitation before me lol. He even told me today that one of the hotdogs or questionable sandwiches from the gas station would be good. Oh how much we both admit we took for granted!

NAN425
02-16-2012, 01:40 PM
He even told me today that one of the hotdogs or questionable sandwiches from the gas station would be good.

Glad he thinks so because that is pretty much what they serve in the canteens and the VP :D

My husband was a total foodie before going in. Now I'm totally cracking up all the time at the stuff he tells me he's excited to eat or that was a treat to have. His standards have gone WAY down... :eek: Maybe they've gone down far enough he'll actually want to eat my cooking when he comes home. ROFL

lmlindsey
02-17-2012, 10:03 AM
Glad he thinks so because that is pretty much what they serve in the canteens and the VP :D

My husband was a total foodie before going in. Now I'm totally cracking up all the time at the stuff he tells me he's excited to eat or that was a treat to have. His standards have gone WAY down... :eek: Maybe they've gone down far enough he'll actually want to eat my cooking when he comes home. ROFL

Lol I am so happy there is hope for my cooking! He drove trucks for awhile and his bachelor life consisted of gas station food before so its like he is reverting back so hopefully it wont be too bad!
:)