View Full Version : Need Help With Just About Everything!

PETESAKE
04-30-2004, 12:16 PM
Hi,all. New here. Here's my story. I have been accused of Grand Larceny in the 2nd degree. My attorney is trying to get me jail weekends and/or house arrest. Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing in NY state. ADA wants prison time - maybe 1 1/2 to 3 years. Does anyone know how much of that time I might actually serve? (a friend who had a charge similar got sentenced to 2-6 and actually served 8 months.) he said i would spend alot of time in county before being transferred to state and the boredom is what gets to you? anyone have any advice/theories? Once to state prison anyone know where I would go? The charge is a nonviolent felony and involved stealing from an employer. Is there any such thing in Monroe County as a self-surrender? I need help with all the info - details on state, etc..my friend also said that you can wear your own clothes,but everything has to be new. And he said nothing can be taken from county to state with you. What the heck? I'm scared to death. I have a 2 year old son and this is terrible for all involved, I don't know what the hell i was thinking..problem..i wasn't thinking. I just want to pay it all back and be able to stay with my son. He's 2, we will never survive it. I'm crying just sitting here thinking about it. Attorney said i have a 50/50 chance. Does anyone know how long between sentencing i might have to get my affairs in order? Does anyone think I might avoid prison? Alternatives to incarceration and all that???? PLEASE, PLEASE HELP. THANKS.

feradina
04-30-2004, 12:20 PM
Hi Petesake, welcome to PTO. I really don't have any answers for you but I am sure someone will be able to answer your questions here. Hang in there! I wish you the best of luck for you and your son :(. We all make mistakes.

~BabyG~
04-30-2004, 12:50 PM
Have you tried pleaing "first offenders"? That might be a suggestion, otherwise I don't know what to tell you. Your lawyer should be able to tell you what kind of time fram you have until you have to go to court. Good Luck!!!!

PETESAKE
04-30-2004, 01:57 PM
Thanks to both. Anyone out there who can help with my specific questions would be so much appreciated.

haswtch
04-30-2004, 04:31 PM
I really don't have specific answers but I know this much: YOU WILL SURVIVE. Take a deep breath or five. First offender, decent lawyer, I shouldn't think you'd do any more on 1 1/2 to 3 than yr friend did on 2-6 anyway. And yes, I have been told the worst thing about county jail is boredom.
some of your questions- where will you go, etc- are unanswerable right now. One thing I do get: You are VERY remorseful. Make sure your lawyer, the ADA, and the judge all know this too, and maybe there will be at least a little compassion. Glad you found PTO, we will help all we can. You can make it through this. If you do have to go away for a bit, make good arrangements for that sweet baby, best would be with someone who can bring him to see you and won't talk you down, and realize that his memory of all this will be fragmented and blurry, not vivid and awful like yours- stay strong and outwardly calm for his sake. GOOD LUCK!

Hannen
04-30-2004, 04:43 PM
I am so sorry you are facing this. Keep breathing and praying. I know I will be for you.

spice242002
04-30-2004, 05:58 PM
I dont know about your state but washington state has what they call a first time offenders program. i took advantage of that program . some of the things you have to have is a non violent crime, and have no prirors on your record. I went in that program ( i was convicted of 1st degree ID theft) and did 14 days in county jail and 2 years of commutity custody...much better than what they originally offered. from my understanding they have that program in alot of states. pm me if you have any questions and glad that you have found PT)...

spice242002
04-30-2004, 06:13 PM
oh yeah forgot to say that in most states the first time offender program the jail time on that program is 0-90days..

lulu
05-01-2004, 08:56 AM
I just wanted to say hello and welcome to pto,

PETESAKE
05-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Thanks to everyone for your kindness. I'm of course extremely scared with a lot of questions, and nothing is actually written in stone yet, so i'm trying to have faith in my attorney and go from there. Does anyone know - is there any such thing as having more compassion for me - and more willingness NOT to send me to state prison because I have a small child? ... will be on again soon. Thanks again for your kindness and support.

mrsdragoness
05-03-2004, 09:37 AM
Hello and welcome to PTO...

You may want to pose some of your questions in the New York forum for state specific information!

I'm not sure about the compassion/small child thing.. there's LOTS of parents in prison.. Once while in court with a friend I heard someone use that plea.... the judge told them "you should have thought about that before you committed a crime" so you may not to take that route.. its kind of like those who "suddenly" get religion... the judges have seen it before, it doesn't impress them :( It may be an angle to mention,but not put a lot of stress on!

mrs

PETESAKE
05-03-2004, 01:59 PM
Hello and welcome to PTO...

You may want to pose some of your questions in the New York forum for state specific information!

I'm not sure about the compassion/small child thing.. there's LOTS of parents in prison.. Once while in court with a friend I heard someone use that plea.... the judge told them "you should have thought about that before you committed a crime" so you may not to take that route.. its kind of like those who "suddenly" get religion... the judges have seen it before, it doesn't impress them :( It may be an angle to mention,but not put a lot of stress on!

mrs
Thanks. How do I get to that forum you mentioned? New here, not exactly sure where/how to get there. Also-wouldn't put a stress on the parent thing, especially not in court, i was actually just wondering if the ada might have a little compassion - but who knows, everybody is different. Thanks.

kintml2u
05-03-2004, 07:15 PM
Here is the link directly to the New York Forum. You can find it in the US Regional area of PTO, by scrolling down on the main menu.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=159

Hope this helps!

Diane