View Full Version : Infuriated by news article

Amy
04-27-2004, 09:22 PM
I have gotten a little behind on posting the news articles but there is one that will definately be posted.

I am so sick of reading articles of "our" elected officials contradicting themselves. I know that I have read once before that the Mississippi Department of Corrections cut the money spent on housing inmates to just a little over 13 dollars.

Now if the state penitentiaries are spending, lets just say 14 dollars a day, how is the state saving money by contracting with Corrections Corporation of America for $30 a day? I know I am no math genius but that just doesn't make sense.

Don't get me wrong. I am very happy that there is the possibility of someone getting treated like a human while in the custody of DOC but why lie to the public? :angry: This is pure madness. Please keep informed on those who are lying and contradicting themselves. Be sure to vote and when you do, remember those people. We have got to get some changes going.

Amy
04-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Sorry, I forgot to mention the article. The title is Epps says he has more authority under Barbour administration. I will be posting it in just a few minutes.

Lysbeth
04-27-2004, 09:58 PM
When Alabama (which was broke to begin with) sent their 2400 or so to Mississippi last year, with that contract they were spending about twice as much per inmate as they do on them in Alabama. I have pretty much given up trying to ever do the math on that stuff, there's no reason or logic to any of it. :shrug:

Of course, too, rumor is that the reason our Alabama men got sent back so soon (the contract was supposed to have been for 12 to 18 months, and they were all sent back within 8 months) was 'cos Alabama never paid CCA... whether they have to this day is a mystery to anyone...