View Full Version : 2012 SOL Phone Call Thread

traviesita
12-28-2011, 10:35 PM
SOL Phone Questions

***This thread is only for phone call questions and answers. Any post that is just chit chat will be moved to the chat thread. Thanks.***

Please take a moment to read the below post to see how to set your phone up to receive collect calls on your landline or cell phone from your loved one.

All collect calls from a state prison in CA go through GTL.

In order to receive collect calls directly to your cell phone you first need to set up an account with GTL. In order to set up an account you need to do the following:
CALIFORNIA DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS AND REHABILITATION
NOTICE TO INMATE FRIENDS AND FAMILY

Effective December 17, 2009 inmate telephones will be able to make collect calls to cell phones. A Global Tel*Link (GTL) direct bill account will need to be established so that GTL could bill the called party for the collect calls.

Required Action by Called Party:
1. Have a current copy of your cell phone bill with you;
2. Call GTL Customer Service at 1-888-415-0377 to set up a direct bill account for your cell phone number;
3. You may be required to provide a current copy of your cell phone bill to GTL. This can be done by: Fax at 1-866-262-9123; or E-mail at WirelessActivations@gtl.net (WirelessActivations@gtl.net)
4. Once GTL receives the current cell phone bill and the billing name and address are verified, a GTL direct bill account may be established.

Restrictions:
• The complete name and street address of the customer’s primary residence must be
included on the cell phone bill. No post office boxes can be used for an account address.
• Direct bill accounts will be set up to cell phone customers with service from major cell phone companies such as AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, T-Mobile, and Alltel.
• Direct bill accounts will not be set up to customers who have prepaid cell phones or other similar non-subscription cell phone services.
• Initially, GTL direct bill accounts will be set up with a $100 monthly use limit.
Customers can contact GTL to increase their limit after three months of having their account in good standing.
Please note: If an inmate calls a cell phone number that does not have a GTL direct bill account, then GTL’s automated system will call the cell phone number (dialed by the inmate) and leave a message to call
GTL to set up a direct bill account in order to receive collect calls on their cell phone.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Current and past GTL Notices can be found on the CDCR web-site at:
http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Visitors/Rece...and_Wards.html (http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/Visitors/Receiving_Calls_From_Inmates_and_Wards.html)
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Global Tel*Link Contact Information:
www.correctionsgtl.com (http://www.correctionsgtl.com/)

Toll Free Number: 1-888-415-0377 Payment Address: GTL Direct Bill Service Dept.
Hours of Operation (Central Standard Time) P.O. Box 173075
Monday-Friday, 7am to 11pm; Denver, Colorado 80217
Saturday/Sunday, 8am to 7pm
(The above information was provided by member Cubana)

To set up your landline GTL can be reached at:
Monday-Friday
7:00AM to 11:00PM, CST
Saturday and Sunday
8:00AM to 7:00PM, CST
at 1-800-231-0193.

Stacy's Faith
01-23-2012, 01:29 AM
Does anyone know about how the phone schedule works in yard 3 building 6? Does it depend what building # they are in. I'd like phone info...do they have one day yard then one day, dayroom, then only when they have dayroom they can only use the phone until 1 in the afternoon? What about when they have yard, they can't use the phone b/c they can only use phone during dayroom days? I hope someome can clarify how phone acess works yard 3 building 6? Thanks un advance!

Tepee
01-23-2012, 11:17 AM
Does anyone know about how the phone schedule works in yard 3 building 6? Does it depend what building # they are in. I'd like phone info...do they have one day yard then one day, dayroom, then only when they have dayroom they can only use the phone until 1 in the afternoon? What about when they have yard, they can't use the phone b/c they can only use phone during dayroom days? I hope someome can clarify how phone acess works yard 3 building 6? Thanks un advance!

Stacy, I'm not sure about specific yards but my understanding of it since they laid so many C/O's off is that each yard will alternate between day room & yard. When the have day room the inmates have a chance to sign up for phones in 15 minute increments.

For example my husband gets day room every other day (yard 1 building 1) but because he works during the day the only time he gets to call is in the evening.

I hope that helps a little.

Stacy's Faith
01-23-2012, 09:11 PM
Thanks Mrs.Teepee your aways so helpful and kind to reply. Yes you do always make sense too:) I guess we just take it one day at a time...one phone call at a time :) But i'm greatful for people like you, and greatful we at least get phone calls :) Thanks again.

Stacy's Faith
01-30-2012, 12:55 AM
Your wecome kevin'swife;) ok new question...has anyone ever gone thru this?.. I haven't rec'd a phone call from my husband since Tues. we spoke, he said he was going to orieintation and since i have't heard from him??? I cling on to my phone like glue, and worry each passing day:( he used to call me every other day before 1pm and now not a call? My only conclusion is maybe he had to make appointment now to use tbe phone, or workin or school or something???? IDK or even maybe minor lock down? Ugh this so sucks! Am i worrying for nothing?

Tepee
01-30-2012, 04:11 PM
Stacy, if your husband said he's going into orientation then it may take up to 14 days to get a call. Once he gets back to mainline then he will have to sign up for phones & for the most it will be every other day on the phone.

Stacy's Faith
01-31-2012, 02:06 AM
Thanks for ur swift reply. Sigh of relief, he finally was able to call me today. He said no phone access due to lockdown b/c of a fight. Is there any we can find out the "current" lock down status for certain bldg? The# or hot line they provide is about two weekends old:( no help there. They have alot of lockdown at Solano?

Tepee
01-31-2012, 08:33 AM
Thanks for ur swift reply. Sigh of relief, he finally was able to call me today. He said no phone access due to lockdown b/c of a fight. Is there any we can find out the "current" lock down status for certain bldg? The# or hot line they provide is about two weekends old:( no help there. They have alot of lockdown at Solano?

No lockdowns are very rare & they don't last long. I know this past weekend "whites" on yard B were on lockdown but I have no idea why... Glad you got your phone call.

Stacy's Faith
02-01-2012, 01:28 AM
Thanks Mrs. Tepee...i have visting questions but i will post it on the vis
iting stuff

godessmom
02-13-2012, 02:22 PM
Anyone receive any calls from loved ones the past couple days?

Stacy's Faith
02-13-2012, 10:22 PM
No phone calls here either :( maybe lock down?

sfmar
06-01-2012, 09:05 PM
anyone know the time frames for phone use for the General population?
Thankss

Boo'sBaby
06-09-2012, 08:22 PM
anyone know the time frames for phone use for the General population?
Thankss

It's hard to say because of the way they run program now. Is he on level 2 or 3 side?

sfmar
06-12-2012, 09:07 PM
level 3

Tepee
06-16-2012, 09:16 AM
level 3

The program for phones are pretty whacky right now... The last couple of weeks my husband has been able to call twice during the evening then three day calls and then back to two night calls & then the next week it would flip to two days he'll call during the day then three evening phone calls & then two more day calls.

It's a weird system but it works & I pretty much get to talk to him everyday.

sfmar
06-17-2012, 03:05 AM
Ohk, Thank You so much

marie8899
10-22-2012, 12:08 AM
I would like to accept collect calls on my landline (which is AT&T) once my son is able to make calls. When he was in county, I was able to accept these calls for awhile before being obligated to switch to GTL. Can I receive collect calls from my landline? At least for awhile? It seemed cheaper.

krc1abc1
10-22-2012, 12:22 AM
You have to go through GTL.

krc1abc1
10-22-2012, 11:20 AM
Is anyone not getting calls from the level two side. My husband usually calls several times a day and I didnt hear anything yesterday. He is on D yard.

marie8899
10-24-2012, 04:49 PM
I sent in the information by email to GTL for my cell, also for my landline, although I think I was supposed to send the landline information to another number. How will I know when the cell account is set up? I can't get through to GTL while working--(on hold, then disconnected). Thanks.

You have to go through GTL.

krc1abc1
10-24-2012, 05:23 PM
You will have to reach them by phone but the account is usually set up in three days from the time they get all your information

woodysbestie
10-27-2012, 11:49 PM
Hi everyone. Has anyone gotten any calls this weekend from level 2. Building c. I havent and getting worried

marie8899
11-02-2012, 06:22 PM
I called them and found out the cell account is set up. I was told the inmate should call collect on the landline. Also, everything is changing to Advance Pay sometime in November. I have a feeling that is going to cost more.

You will have to reach them by phone but the account is usually set up in three days from the time they get all your information

krc1abc1
11-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Has anyone else not heard from loved ones on level 2 D yard? My his band usually calls 2x per day and I haven't heard from him since yesterday morning.

marie8899
11-16-2012, 10:25 PM
I want to clarify something that I became aware of today regarding phone calls. My son is in lockdown at Solano, and we have not spoken by phone. I assume that when inmates are on lockdown, they cannot call out, is that correct?
So, I received a call today from a woman I know, who is close to him. She told me she had received a GTL call in another language from my son, but she didn't know which buttons to push to accept the call because she does not speak or understand that language. My son does speak that language, but he is bilingual and has never called me through GTL in any language other than English. (And I do speak the language that the woman did not understand). Plus, he knows this woman speaks English in addition to a different foreign language, so I know he would not purposefully attempt to call her in a language she does not speak. I told her I thought it may have been one of those prohibited calls from inside, which worries me. Later, I thought about it and wondered whether he may have asked someone who only speaks the language in which the call was made through GTL, to try to call her for him. I think it would have either been collect or Advance Pay. Can anyone think of any other explanation? Could it be part of a scam?

krc1abc1
11-16-2012, 11:11 PM
Inmates cannot make calls when on lockdown. I would be a little concerned about this call. I have not heard of GTL operating in a language other than English. Call and ask GTL if calls can be made in this language. Everything is going to advanced pay on the 26 th. right now calls are still being made through a billed account do he would have to be set up with the friends number. Sounds fishy to me. Never assume anything. If things don't occur the way they usually do something may be wrong and there maybe a scam. Hope this helps

HeeZmyBaBeeBoy
11-17-2012, 09:23 PM
I set up a prepay account today. Son sent me a letter saying we had a block on our cell. Got the letter today so I set up the prepay. I am not in Cali but he is. Do you think he will be able to get thru to me now? Our cell service is Verizon and we have no landline.

marie8899
11-17-2012, 11:14 PM
I'm not sure what kind of a block it would be, but if I were you, I would check with both Verizon and GTL customer service to find out for sure whether there may still be a block. I just did this today with my landline carrier, to make sure I can receive collect calls.

marie8899
11-17-2012, 11:17 PM
The lady's phone is already on GTL because her son is in prison. But she always receives calls in English.

Inmates cannot make calls when on lockdown. I would be a little concerned about this call. I have not heard of GTL operating in a language other than English. Call and ask GTL if calls can be made in this language. Everything is going to advanced pay on the 26 th. right now calls are still being made through a billed account do he would have to be set up with the friends number. Sounds fishy to me. Never assume anything. If things don't occur the way they usually do something may be wrong and there maybe a scam. Hope this helps

Tepee
12-07-2012, 04:24 PM
Has anyone heard from their loved one on yard A?

I'm trying to figure out if something else has happened because I haven't heard from my husband in 2 days and they haven't updated the visiting hotline. :-(

Ruby_Sky
12-08-2012, 11:27 PM
Has anyone heard from their loved one on yard A?

I'm trying to figure out if something else has happened because I haven't heard from my husband in 2 days and they haven't updated the visiting hotline. :-(

Hey Mrs. Tepee, I dont know if you have already received a call from him, but my boyfriend is also in yard A and I have been receiving calls. My boyfriend also said hes called me a few times but that the call doesnt go through that my phone keeps ringing or that it says that I rejected the call, when in the first place my phone didnt even ring. But other than that I have been receiving calls. Hope this helps and that youve heard from your loved one by now.

Tepee
12-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Hey Mrs. Tepee, I dont know if you have already received a call from him, but my boyfriend is also in yard A and I have been receiving calls. My boyfriend also said hes called me a few times but that the call doesnt go through that my phone keeps ringing or that it says that I rejected the call, when in the first place my phone didnt even ring. But other than that I have been receiving calls. Hope this helps and that youve heard from your loved one by now.

Thank you Ruby... My husband was able to call yesterday he said that they were alternating tiers and yards so one day it would be Southerners and the next it would be Northerners... But they're supposed to go back to normal program next week... *** fingers-crossed***

marie8899
12-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Okay, so if everyone on A Yard is receiving calls, I now need to figure out why my son can't call. I asked this question on the general forum but no answer: If someone is placed in lockdown when they first arrive, do they still have to go through 2 weeks of orientation when they get off lockdown?

Another question I have is: While on lockdown, can they receive quarterlies and special packages (electronics)? I sent a quarterly but in his last letter, he told me he did not have it (yet?). Thanks.

marie8899
12-09-2012, 04:32 PM
I just got a call today! (After writing my question above). Very happy and looking forward (hopefully) to a visit I already scheduled for next weekend. So I guess everyone on A Yard is now getting phone calls and visits. What a nice Christmas present!

marie8899
12-09-2012, 04:40 PM
Can someone tell me about 3-way calls? Is it okay or not okay to make them? Someone asked my son to make one through me and I said "no" because I don't want him to get in trouble. Please advise.

Renee
12-09-2012, 05:11 PM
I'm not 100% for CA, but 3-way calls are definitely banned in TX. It's a security problem and absolutely against the rules. I bet CA is the same way. Good for you that you said no! In TX, not only can the inmate get in trouble, but they will take away your phone privileges for that!

marie8899
12-09-2012, 07:05 PM
I thought I had already posted a follow-up message (but I don't see it here). It was an error for me to say that visits are allowed. I am just being hopeful, but I don't think anything has been officially decided. I don't want to give wrong information.