View Full Version : If I use all my money to pay bond, can I still get a PD?

reallyscared124
12-10-2011, 01:48 PM
If I use all my money to pay a bail bondsmen and bond out of jail... and then I request a public defender.. will my bond be revoked as a result? How does that work?

Like if I pay the bondsman 10k to get out, does the judge revoke my bond and I get my 10k back? Or does the judge revoke my bond, I still lose the 10k, I go to jail and then I'm just screwed in general??

Please help, turning myself in monday. Want to post bond. But if I post bond, I have to take a public defender - can't afford a lawyer.

Also - the reason I want to post bond is because I'll get to keep my job. That means I can keep working and saving money while my case plays out so I'm not in the financial dumps in the end. If I sit in jail for 1 week or more, I'm fired.

26thncaliswag
12-10-2011, 02:45 PM
If you can prove that you are financially unable to afford an attorney, the court should provide you one. Tax info and an earning statement from the social security office usually helps.

agoodwoman318
12-10-2011, 03:04 PM
Got this one.....
First, what KIND of bond are you posting? Property, cash or bail bondsman (im the last)
If you post cash & are found innocent you get your money back. Guilty, it goes to fines & costs.
Property: put up the deed & go to court itz all good. Dont show, you lose the land & house.
If you use me (bondsman) you pay a % of your bond set by state law. Here in La Its 12% + jail fee. im a linced ins agent. Your taking out an ins policy saying you'll go to court. If you go cool. You just paid my house note. If you dont go your liable for the full amount plus recovery (bounty hunter) fees.
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A PUBLIC DEFENDER!
Dont even worry bout it.
Your good.
If ya need help inbox me.

reallyscared124
12-10-2011, 03:48 PM
Got this one.....
First, what KIND of bond are you posting? Property, cash or bail bondsman (im the last)
If you post cash & are found innocent you get your money back. Guilty, it goes to fines & costs.
Property: put up the deed & go to court itz all good. Dont show, you lose the land & house.
If you use me (bondsman) you pay a % of your bond set by state law. Here in La Its 12% + jail fee. im a linced ins agent. Your taking out an ins policy saying you'll go to court. If you go cool. You just paid my house note. If you dont go your liable for the full amount plus recovery (bounty hunter) fees.
THIS HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH A PUBLIC DEFENDER!
Dont even worry bout it.
Your good.
If ya need help inbox me.

But i thought it's a determination of indigence? Such as I don't qualify as indigent because I was able to pay $10,000 to a bond agent, so I shouldn't get a public defender...

agoodwoman318
12-10-2011, 06:30 PM
Nope. They have NOTHING to do with each other. If you pay a million to get out and go to court & not have any money the day you go to court you need a public defender.
And my other half has a $50,000.00 bond I promise no one will EVER know how much he pays. Its not court record what I charge.
If you dont believe me ask your bondsman. Or use the free lawyer consult & ask them.

Kay
12-10-2011, 07:09 PM
'm not sure what the law is in your state but in Texas if you can post bond there is no way to get a PD. I hope you find the help you need.

reallyscared124
12-10-2011, 08:15 PM
My state is virginia. How does it work here?

KamisSister
12-11-2011, 09:24 AM
I would just go ahead and call a bail bondsman there in VA and ask. Here is the statute on this:

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+19.2-159

KamisSister
12-11-2011, 09:28 AM
Look this over too: http://www.valegalaid.org/VA/index.cfm
http://www.lawhelp.org/program/810/