View Full Version : Ascension Parish Prison Questions

Olderthanmost
12-01-2011, 08:52 AM
Hi. Anyone have someone in Ascension Parish Prison? Maybe you have visited there before. I would like some info about it. Conditions, medical care, food, outdoors time, staff, visitation. Are you allowed face to face visitation? Can you send packages? Basically, anything you could share with me would be greatly appreciated. :confused:

LifeTraveler
12-04-2011, 04:32 AM
Sorry that nobody has come along to answer your questions about Ascension Parish Jail. We really need to get the word out to our Louisiana people about PTO! I wish I knew what to tell you, but I've never visited there before.

Olderthanmost
12-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Sorry that nobody has come along to answer your questions about Ascension Parish Jail. We really need to get the word out to our Louisiana people about PTO! I wish I knew what to tell you, but I've never visited there before. Thanks. I really wish the Louisiana forum was more active. As many jails and prisons as we have in Louisiana, it looks like we would be one of the top ones. I was going to ask you about something: My husbands Public Defender told him that he will have to pay $100.00 at sentencing. He is having a re-arraignment. Is that some sort of court cost? Do you know who we would make the money order out to? I sent her (attorney) an email but so far, no response. Thank you for all that you do. God Bless!

agoodwoman318
12-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Im sorry I just found your post. Yah I agree with you with more felony convictions power capita than any other state you would think we would talk more! most people I know can't afford internet. But with the phone app I hope we grow.
Im sorry I have only had experiance in Caddo, Ruston, Red River, DeSoto, Monroe & West Monroe.
I bet you make the money order out to the parish & leave it at that. Normaly thats how out goes. Is it for his public defender?
Is he going to stay in the parish because we are so over crowded in our DOC system they can house him in the parish depending on his sentance. This can be good& bad since he will be close to home but they normaly have less programs.
& you may want to be clean what good time act hes under because he will probubly do about 1/2 of his sentance.

Olderthanmost
12-04-2011, 08:12 PM
Im sorry I just found your post. Yah I agree with you with more felony convictions power capita than any other state you would think we would talk more! most people I know can't afford internet. But with the phone app I hope we grow.
Im sorry I have only had experiance in Caddo, Ruston, Red River, DeSoto, Monroe & West Monroe.
I bet you make the money order out to the parish & leave it at that. Normaly thats how out goes. Is it for his public defender?
Is he going to stay in the parish because we are so over crowded in our DOC system they can house him in the parish depending on his sentance. This can be good& bad since he will be close to home but they normaly have less programs.
& you may want to be clean what good time act hes under because he will probubly do about 1/2 of his sentance. Hello. Thanks so much for reponding. I was thinking I was the only one on here in Louisiana. :) Actually, he is in a parish jail in South Louisiana, awaiting a re-arraignment and then sentencing (Federal). His public defender said the money was for court costs at sentencing. I have never heard of that. Maybe she will contact me soon.

LifeTraveler
12-04-2011, 09:01 PM
Um, and what if he was indigent with no family or support from loved ones? Where would he get $100 then? Is that not why he has a public defender? Something doesn't smell right to me with this. I mean, if he doesn't come up with $100 what else are they going to do? He's already in jail.

agoodwoman318
12-04-2011, 09:55 PM
Um, and what if he was indigent with no family or support from loved ones? Where would he get $100 then? Is that not why he has a public defender? Something doesn't smell right to me with this. I mean, if he doesn't come up with $100 what else are they going to do? He's already in jail.

Lol! WELCOME TO LOUISIANA! We all have to pay it if we use a public defender. I know its messed up but THAT is how it is!
We are not called Da Dirty South for nuttin! :)
Yep, money order made out to the parish.

taraadele18
12-05-2011, 11:39 AM
you need to call ascension parish. I live in ascension, but i know nothing about the prison.. I'm sorry. But i'm sure if you call them,they can answer a bunch of questions reguarding the prison. That's what i did, my fiance is in livingston parish.

Olderthanmost
12-05-2011, 05:28 PM
Lol! WELCOME TO LOUISIANA! We all have to pay it if we use a public defender. I know its messed up but THAT is how it is!
We are not called Da Dirty South for nuttin! :)
Yep, money order made out to the parish. I had to laugh at your description! Thanks :D As soon as she gets back to me and lets me know exactly what it's for, I will let yall know! Good ole Louisiana.

Olderthanmost
12-05-2011, 05:33 PM
you need to call ascension parish. I live in ascension, but i know nothing about the prison.. I'm sorry. But i'm sure if you call them,they can answer a bunch of questions reguarding the prison. That's what i did, my fiance is in livingston parish. Actually, Ascension parish prison is one of the good ones (?) that he heard inmates talking about, who have been there. He will be moved in the Spring, and he asked me to find out about Ascension. I know the area there but don't know anything about the prison. Medical access is very important to us. Thanks so much for your help.

Olderthanmost
12-05-2011, 05:37 PM
Yeah! As soon as the Public Defender gets back to me with a reason, I will let you know!! He told her that I am on a fixed income but she said it still had to be paid.

LifeTraveler
12-06-2011, 12:43 AM
Yeah! As soon as the Public Defender gets back to me with a reason, I will let you know!! He told her that I am on a fixed income but she said it still had to be paid.

I'm sorry. I still think something stinks here. Ya indigent, ya indigent....what they gonna do? Take the money out of his butt???:eek::blah:

knordyke
12-06-2011, 07:13 AM
I haven't read this thread from the start but suspect that what is being discussed ONLY applies to the federal counts. The $100 is a mandatory special assessment that comes with the plea in federal court. It is not a state court requirement and isn't a state IDB fee.

agoodwoman318
12-06-2011, 01:49 PM
Nothing here is free.... State has to pay here as well. There are no FREE public defenders in this state. If they don't pay it I believe they will tack it on at the end. I worked with an inmate in Sabean parish who got an O.R. bond but couldn't get out because he couldn't pay the jail fees required to get out. That judge was hot when he showed up back in his court in jail cloths six months latter because the man didn't have $60.

Olderthanmost
01-01-2012, 09:39 PM
I haven't read this thread from the start but suspect that what is being discussed ONLY applies to the federal counts. The $100 is a mandatory special assessment that comes with the plea in federal court. It is not a state court requirement and isn't a state IDB fee. I believe that you are right! Could you elaborate a little more for me about the manadatory special assessment? I know that I have to pay it for him, I just didn't understand what it's for. Thanks!