View Full Version : New Parole Board Assignments...few newbies

ReggiesLady
11-21-2011, 01:56 PM
CAN I SAY HOW EXCITED I AM THAT PAMELA FREEMAN IS AT HUNTSVILLE NOW?! LOL. GOD DOES ANSWER PRAYERS!!

MEMBERS OF THE TEXAS BOARD OF PARDONS AND PAROLES

Rissie L. Owens

ASSIGNMENT: Huntsville (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/brd_locations/brd_locations.html#Huntsville)
APPOINTED: 2009
TERM EXPIRES: 2015
EDUCATION: Master of Arts, University of Houston (Clear Lake). Bachelor of Science, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas.
BACKGROUND: Five years experience in education and 15 years experience in criminal justice, and social services work.
Conrith Davis

ASSIGNMENT: Angleton (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/brd_locations/brd_locations.html#Angleton)
APPOINTED: 2006
TERM EXPIRES: 2013
EDUCATION: Master of Planning & Public Administration, Pepperdine University, Malibu, California, Master of Business Administration, University of Phoenix (Houston Campus), Bachelor of Arts, Fayetteville State University, Fayetteville, North Carolina. Executive education, University of Pennsylvania, Wharton School of Business.
BACKGROUND: Military Officer and Sales Executive. Twenty years experience in financial management/military police and eight years marketing and document solutions.
Juanita M. Gonzalez

ASSIGNMENT: San Antonio (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/brd_locations/brd_locations.html#San_Antonio)
EDUCATION: Master and Bachelor of Social Work, Our Lady of the Lake University San Antonio, Texas.
BACKGROUND: Over 13 years experience with TDCJ-Parole Division. Approximately five years experience with Bexar County Juvenile Probation Department. Three years experience as a Social Worker in San Antonio Texas.
David G. Gutierrez

ASSIGNMENT: Gatesville (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/brd_locations/brd_locations.html#Gatesville)
EDUCATION: Bachelors of Science in Criminal Justice, Wayland Baptist University, Lubbock, Texas.
BACKGROUND: 33 years experience in Criminal Justice and Law Enforcement at the Lubbock County Sheriff’s Office. Sheriff of Lubbock County last 11 years. Former Chair, Texas Commission on Jail Standards; Former Chair, Texas Correctional Office on Offenders with Medical or Mental Impairments (TCOOMMI) Advisory Board; President Elect, Texas Corrections Association.
James W. LaFavers

ASSIGNMENT: Amarillo (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/brd_locations/brd_locations.html#Amarillo)
APPOINTED: 2011
TERM EXPIRES: 2017
EDUCATION: Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice Administration, West Texas State University, Associates of Science in Police Science, Amarillo College.
BACKGROUND: 11 years experience in Police Work at the Amarillo Police Department. 27 years experience in Civil Law investigation with Law Firm and as a Licensed Investigator.
Thomas A. Leeper

ASSIGNMENT: Huntsville (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/brd_locations/brd_locations.html#Huntsville)
TERM EXPIRES: 2013
EDUCATION: Doctor of Jurisprudence, University of Houston Law Center. Bachelor of Business Administration in Finance, Texas A&M University at College Station.
BACKGROUND: Attorney in private practice for 13 years. Former City Attorney for City of Huntsville and former Assistant City Attorney for City of Bryan. Previously served on the Board of Directors of Texas State Affordable Housing Corporation, acting as the Chairman the last year of his term.
Michelle Skyrme

ASSIGNMENT: Palestine (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/brd_locations/brd_locations.html#Palestine)
APPOINTED: 2011
TERM EXPIRES: 2017
EDUCATION: Canyon High School, Canyon, Texas.
BACKGROUND: 23 years experience in County Government, including 3 years Community Supervision and Corrections. 17 years Public Health administration and Emergency Response.
COMMISSIONER BIOGRAPHICAL SKETCHES

Freeman, Pamela D.

ASSIGNMENT: Huntsville
EMPLOYED: 2004
EDUCATION: Masters of Business of Administration from University of Phoenix, Clear Lake Campus, Houston, Texas. Bachelors of Science Degree in Business Administration from Paul Quinn University, Dallas, Texas.
BACKGROUND: Approximately 16 years experience in criminal justice/social services: Deep East Texas Council of Governments as Criminal Justice Director, Texas Department of Criminal Justice as Diagnostic Interviewer/Correctional Officer, Dallas County Sheriffs Department, and Dallas County Youth Village as a Child Care Worker.
Garcia, Tony

ASSIGNMENT: Huntsville
EMPLOYED: 2006
EDUCATION: Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice/Criminology and Corrections from Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas.
BACKGROUND:21 years of service with the Texas Department of Corrections as a Correctional Officer; Sociologist, Staff Senior Officer, Assistant Warden and Senior Warden. Over three years of service with the Board of Pardons and Paroles as a Board Member, Policy Board Member, and a Parole Commissioner. Over one year of service with the Geo Group as a Senior Warden.
Hensarling, James

ASSIGNMENT: Palestine
EMPLOYED: 2008
EDUCATION: Juris Doctor, Baylor University School of Law, Waco, Texas; Bachelor of Arts-History, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas.
BACKGROUND: Over twenty years as a Prosecutor; Retired Assistant U.S. Attorney for the Western District of Texas; Former Criminal District Attorney and Assistant Criminal District Attorney for Jackson County, Texas; U.S. Army Officer - Armor.
Hightower, Elvis

ASSIGNMENT: Gatesville
EMPLOYED: 2005
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas.
BACKGROUND: Eleven years experience as a prison warden. Disability examiner trainee for the Texas Rehabilitation Commission.
Kiel, James Paul Jr.

ASSIGNMENT: San Antonio
EDUCATION: Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas.
BACKGROUND: Over 20 years experience with TDCJ-Parole Division, serving as a Parole Officer, Unit Supervisor, and Assistant Regional Director; over 3 years experience with the Texas Dept. of Corrections as a Correctional Officer and Sociologist.
Marshall, Trenton

ASSIGNMENT: Gatesville
EMPLOYED: 2011
EDUCATION: Doctor of Jurisprudence from Texas Wesleyan University School of Law, Fort Worth, Texas. Bachelor of Science from Lamar University, Beaumont, Texas.
BACKGROUND: Attorney and experience in the executive and legislative branches of the government as a Director. Eight years experience in administrative management.
Moberley, Marsha S.

ASSIGNMENT: Amarillo
EMPLOYED: 2010
EDUCATION: Bachelor of Science, East Carolina University, Greenville, North Carolina.
BACKGROUND: Twelve years experience in Criminal Justice, with nine years experience in Juvenile Justice Administration.
Ruzicka, Lynn

ASSIGNMENT: Angleton
EDUCATION: Bachelors and Masters degrees in Criminal Justice, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas; has completed coursework and comprehensive exams for a doctorate in criminal justice.
BACKGROUND: Former professor in criminal justice at the University of Houston-Downtown and contract instructor with the Houston Police Department Training Academy. Member of the Academy of Criminal Justice Science, Southwestern Association of Criminal Justice Educators and the American Correctional Association.
Shipman, Charles

ASSIGNMENT: Amarillo
EDUCATION: Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice and Business Administration, Wayland Baptist University.
BACKGROUND: 1 yr. experience as parole officer with TDCJ-Parole Division; 2 years with Wichita County Sheriff's department, most recently as sergeant; over 21 years with U.S. Air Force as First Sergeant, Criminal Investigator, and Police Officer.
Speier, Charles C.

ASSIGNMENT: San Antonio
EDUCATION: Bachelor of Science, Law Enforcement, Southwest Texas State University, San Marcos, Texas.
BACKGROUND: Over 30 years criminal justice experience: Former Texas Parole Board Member, Over 25 years with the Texas Department of Criminal Justice/Parole Division; San Antonio Police Department assigned to patrol/SWAT team; military service in the United States Air Force assigned to Security Police.

SparklyPink0513
11-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Hmm. So still only two voters for Palestine? I wonder if that's affecting how fast (or slow) they vote on files. What happens if the two disagree on approval/denial?

purplerose212
11-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Ok, my husband now falls under the Huntsville Parole Board and I have been reading a lot of good things about them, so does this change make it even better? My husband has a 15 year sentence and has served 10 1/2 years of it. He comes up again for another vote in May and we are feeling really good about it this time. He just got transferred last month and things are already getting better for him. He had put in for a job transfer and it came through Thursday and he got moved to a new dorm that has bigger cells and he is so excited about it. But I got off the subject. So, ReggiesLady, is this a really good thing?

jenlovesmichael
11-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Yes ReggiesLady I have the same question my husband is under Huntsville and actually about 3 weeks Pamela Freeman had his file just concerned can you advise? Have you had issues with her?

marksgirl0907
11-21-2011, 11:50 PM
Hmm. So still only two voters for Palestine? I wonder if that's affecting how fast (or slow) they vote on files. What happens if the two disagree on approval/denial?

Our lawyer told me if that happens it goes to another board for the deciding vote. She didnt say which one though. My husband (who is under the Palestine board) saw the IPO Oct 5th and we got our answer Nov 14 which was a FI-6R. Last year it was much quicker which was a no. So I really dont think there's much of a change regarding if they are slower or quicker with the answers.

RobinsMan
11-22-2011, 06:34 AM
They have what are called duty panels that rotate each day of the week to cover for absent board members. Here's (http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/bpp/policies_directives/DIR%20141.303%20_Duty%20Panels_.pdf) a link to read the directive.