View Full Version : relocating

bishopnsandy
10-28-2002, 11:24 AM
I am looking to relocate soon. I used to live in Kingston so I am looking to move to a similar type enviroment, although I have considered some cities upstate. Does anyone live near or in Troy? I have been researching Troy. My ex sister in law lives in Buffalo, and I have been considering Buffalo for some time, but she has already let me know that she will be of no help to me...My honey is in Rome, which is near Utica but if he does not make parole he will seek to transfer to a facility that is near where I live and also particiaptes in the family reunification program. Any info anyone can help me with I'd appreciate it. I've been back in NYC for 2 years and I'm sick of it and so are my children.

yanigirl
10-29-2002, 07:04 PM
Sorry Bishopnsandy I am from NYC but I don't know anything about upstate New YORK. I'm sorry to hear that your kids hate it. I love NY but there are some areas where I luv to visit and shop or hang out but not to live because of the congestion. Brooklyn or Bronx being the two places. But I must say I luv Staten Island or Queens. Good luck on your search.

gina
10-29-2002, 10:19 PM
Do you belong to NYIF? If you do you'll meet a bunch of people on there who live in that area...if you want to sign up pm Val. She'll hook you up!

Mary S.
10-30-2002, 05:14 PM
Good luck finding a new city. I agree with Gina; get into NYIF. I heard that FRP's are good at Collins and Attica. Sorry I'm not more help.

bishopnsandy
11-02-2002, 11:50 PM
Can you please tell me how to pm her? Thanks

luna
12-10-2002, 03:56 PM
I guess this response in pretty late, but I live in Troy, born and raised..I wish I had nice things to say about it, personally I am trying to relocate out. Where should I start? Politics rule this place, it's dangerously close to Albany, which is also ruled my politics, and the like. Also, crime is pretty rampant in what we consider inner-city up here, gangs like bloods, etc included. Good schools are hard to come by, all depends how close you live to the city, Troy is broken up into neighborhoods, all occupied by familes who have been around for as long as Troy, and it's hard to even fit in even within the city when your from a next door sometimes..Farther you get from the sity the nicer the neighborhood, but most people around up, Albany, Saratoga, will tell ya doesn't matter what neighborhood you hail from, Troy is Troy. They call us girls "Troilets" , and Troy is famous for being called "The pothole of the country"....Also, it gets quite expensive the farther out you move, and being a homeowner in Renns. County is donwright impossible, search for info on Taxes in this area, they are raising them %35 by the new year, property and school , I'm about drowning...and for what? This place....Anyway, I wouldn't want to be under parole supervision in this area either. I know police are notoriously not the best at taking pride in being fair at the workplace, but around here, the police are terrible, also the DA's offices, forget about it, most of them got their positions from family contacts, or can't find better jobs to save their lives, and they truly screw peoples lives up, and not always intentionally, sometimes just out of pure stupidity....In any case....It's not a nice place....that's all I can say...

emme
12-10-2002, 03:59 PM
another late response...i used to go to school near kingston...do you know the 9G diner? lol...

is this thread still relevant at this time?

sherri13
12-11-2002, 02:27 PM
i LIVED IN ROME, NY BUT IT WAS A LONG TIME AGO AND MY DAD WAS IN THE AF -I HEAR THINGS HAVE CHANGED A LOT-IS A LITTLE SMALL TOO, SO IS UTICA--WHAT ABOUT SYRACUSE?

gina
12-11-2002, 02:35 PM
bishopsandy...do you still need ot know how to pm val for an invite to NYIF? Sorry I never saw that post where you asked how until today...

bishopnsandy
12-13-2002, 04:02 AM
Right now, John is incarcerated in Rome, I have to tell you I have not seen one person of color who works in the prison, although I have never asked John, but he did mention a Latina nurse. I realize that many of these cities/towns are not very diverse but I really hate to be the only sore thumb so to speak. Perhaps Syracuse. I was really considering Buffalo as my ex-sister in law lives there and I really liked it every time I went to visit.
John says it's too far. Thank you all for your input. I am sick of the city, have lived here all my life except when Ilived in Kingston from 1998-2000. I need a slower pace and a better quality of life.
I do not remember that diner in Kingston, sorry.
There is crime and violence whereever you go, this I know, but I can't think of any city.town in the state of NY like NYC. It would take a book to describe where I live, and what we experience daily...
I know someone who lives in North Troy and she likes it. Anyway, in comparison to wherre we come from I guess she thinks Troy is heaven, don't know...

luna
12-15-2002, 04:03 PM
Your right, I'm sure, guess I would rather be here rather than in the city myself..I'm just looking at in the prespective of being involved with someone who has bad luck when it comes to the law:)...and being that Troy is our home town, , there is too much temptation to screw up if we stayed...I think maybe it's a lot worse for the people who have lived here all there lives, now that I think about it...But, it's not a bad place for others, who are starting fresh. I think I have a pretty big chip on my shoulder about this place...unfortunalty, because it wouldn't be so bad, I guess if everyone didn't know eachother..:)...Anyway, I'm sorry if I gave you all the negative perspectives..If you do choose to live here, let me know, and I will tell you where all the good places to eat, shop, have fun are...
Luna

bishopnsandy
12-17-2002, 04:02 AM
Thanks, will keep you posted...I have to tell you, you really scared me LOL
On another note, I received yesterday a package from BOCES from that area as I am interested in the LPN course, it costs 7000, does that seem about right to anyone? Thanks

luna
12-17-2002, 06:41 AM
Well, the BOCES program for LPN is actually very good, and let me tell ya, one good thing around here, is there is a nursing shortage, and you'll never lack for a job, if your an LPN...and it pays pretty good too...My Mom is an LPN, works in a nursing home..I guess the tuition doesn't surprise me, because it is supposedly a very good program, and it's pretty intense from what I hear, well worth it! I have a couple friends that took it. I will try to find out more for you..If you have any specific questions about it, let me know...

Luna