View Full Version : County supervision and parole discharge date

Seduced
11-08-2011, 10:19 AM
My guy has been high control for many years through many absconds and violations. He knows the drill when it comes to parole. Except now he is being released to county supervision 3 weeks before his parole discharge date. They've already messed up and have him going to the county of his original charge instead of the county of his last residence. We have a few questions.
Is his discharge date still the last day they can hold him on this CDC number? What if he violates? What if there are no new charges- like if he refuses a drug test or leaves the county or something like that? Can they keep him on probation longer or put him back in prison for longer than his remaining time? Does anyone know how this county thing works?

Cpena949
11-08-2011, 05:10 PM
My guy has been high control for many years through many absconds and violations. He knows the drill when it comes to parole. Except now he is being released to county supervision 3 weeks before his parole discharge date. They've already messed up and have him going to the county of his original charge instead of the county of his last residence. We have a few questions.
Is his discharge date still the last day they can hold him on this CDC number? What if he violates? What if there are no new charges- like if he refuses a drug test or leaves the county or something like that? Can they keep him on probation longer or put him back in prison for longer than his remaining time? Does anyone know how this county thing works?

You may want to post this under the AB 109 realignment post. There's a lot of people on that one that can help you with this question. Just search AB 109 Realignment and theres a post that says How AB 109 Realignment affects county jails.

2sleepy
11-09-2011, 12:32 AM

He keeps his CDC # while he's on parole, whether it's county parole or state parole. He can be held past his release date only if there is a hold for another charge in another jurisdiction, or if he is high control and can't be released on a weekend. He can be violated when he is on county supervision just like on state parole. The main difference is that the max he can do on a violation is 6 months with half time.

Seduced
11-09-2011, 09:46 AM
He keeps his CDC # while he's on parole, whether it's county parole or state parole. He can be held past his release date only if there is a hold for another charge in another jurisdiction, or if he is high control and can't be released on a weekend. He can be violated when he is on county supervision just like on state parole. The main difference is that the max he can do on a violation is 6 months with half time.

Yes. The question is he maxes out and discharges parole 3 WEEKS after his release date. Can he still be held for 6 with half if he violates in that 3 weeks?

manjarrezb
11-09-2011, 11:39 AM
my parole officer told me in the next to months parolees in ca will now go for review at 6 mos instead of 12. Has anyone heard anything about that i am a female parolee who never gets in on things like this but we will see

Cpena949
11-13-2011, 01:30 AM

So your saying that even though they are high control the max they can do on a violation is 6 months? What about if they're on gang terms and all that? Is it the same for all parolees?

CraigsWife
11-13-2011, 05:44 AM
So your saying that even though they are high control the max they can do on a violation is 6 months? What about if they're on gang terms and all that? Is it the same for all parolees?

Yes thats true,, Will do time in county,,,But the max is 1 year,, doing 1/2 time to make it only 6 months!

CraigsWife
11-13-2011, 06:05 AM
my parole officer told me in the next to months parolees in ca will now go for review at 6 mos instead of 12. Has anyone heard anything about that i am a female parolee who never gets in on things like this but we will see

Check this site out!

http://www.cdcr.ca.gov/realignment/index.html

2sleepy
11-13-2011, 07:07 PM
Yes thats true,, Will do time in county,,,But the max is 1 year,, doing 1/2 time to make it only 6 months!
the maximum violation is now 6 months with half time = 90 days in custody max. If your parole discharges while you are doing a violation you are released unless you absconded, if that happens the clock stops on your parole discharge date until you begin serving the violation so your original parole discharge date might have changed. All violations will be served in county jail.

Enchanted Wolf
11-13-2011, 09:31 PM

NO!! Everyone is NOT the same....please read up on the info provided....These "new" policies are only for people going on parole AFTER OCTOBER 1.... PLUS... from CDCR website...."The law, effective October 1, 2011, mandates that individuals sentenced to non-serious, non-violent or non-sex offenses will serve their sentences in county jails instead of state prison."

There is a list of offenses on CDCR site, that will let you know if they are considered "serious"....

It is best with all the "new" stuff out there, to check, check and re-check you info...call his PO...but even they don't have ALL the answers right now, because of all the changes...take a deep breath and have patience....:thumbsup:

2sleepy
11-14-2011, 10:59 AM
NO!! Everyone is NOT the same....please read up on the info provided....These "new" policies are only for people going on parole AFTER OCTOBER 1.... PLUS... from CDCR website...."The law, effective October 1, 2011, mandates that individuals sentenced to non-serious, non-violent or non-sex offenses will serve their sentences in county jails instead of state prison."

There is a list of offenses on CDCR site, that will let you know if they are considered "serious"....

It is best with all the "new" stuff out there, to check, check and re-check you info...call his PO...but even they don't have ALL the answers right now, because of all the changes...take a deep breath and have patience....:thumbsup:
there are changes that only affect those sentenced or paroled after 10/1/11, but these changes affect almost all parolees (except those on parole for a life sentence)
"Beginning October 1, 2011, parole violators who are ordered to serve a custodial sanction will serve that time in county jails with the lone exception being parolees who were serving life terms; they are the only category of parolee that may return to prison due to their “lifer” status.
Maximum terms for a parole violation are capped at 180 days per revocation; custody credits generally apply."
http://tinyurl.com/87hhbbp

2sleepy
11-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Here's a good source of information on changes to parole http://prisonlaw.com/pdfs/ParoleAddendum,Oct2011.pdf

Cpena949
11-15-2011, 12:53 PM
This is so confusing. My husband in on high control. He violated August 18th, but has not been sentenced yet. Our friend is in for the same thing. Got sentenced last week and will be doing 7 months in state prison. He's on high control. Not a lifer, and got sentenced after October first.

2sleepy
11-16-2011, 09:46 AM
If the hold was placed before October 1, the old rules for violations apply, if the hold was placed after October 1, the new rules apply

shamus
11-24-2011, 03:30 AM
If the hold was placed before October 1, the old rules for violations apply, if the hold was placed after October 1, the new rules apply

That is partially correct. If a parolee is being held IN STATE PRISON for a parole violation on or after 10/1 AND his/her release date is on or after 11/1, then he/she will be screened for PRCS.

If the parolee does his/her violation in county, then he/she will not be screened for PRCS.

www.cpoc.org/php/realign/septcpocleg2011realignment.ppt

2sleepy
11-25-2011, 10:49 AM
That is partially correct. If a parolee is being held IN STATE PRISON for a parole violation on or after 10/1 AND his/her release date is on or after 11/1, then he/she will be screened for PRCS.

If the parolee does his/her violation in county, then he/she will not be screened for PRCS.

www.cpoc.org/php/realign/septcpocleg2011realignment.ppt (http://www.cpoc.org/php/realign/septcpocleg2011realignment.ppt)

that's correct, but what does 'screen for PRCS' mean? My son knows some guys who were released after 11/1 and stayed on state parole, they were not high control or sex offenders..it almost looks like there are no rules for this 'screening'

shamus
11-29-2011, 01:39 AM
that's correct, but what does 'screen for PRCS' mean? My son knows some guys who were released after 11/1 and stayed on state parole, they were not high control or sex offenders..it almost looks like there are no rules for this 'screening'

My apologies, PRCS = Post Release Community Supervision.

2sleepy
11-29-2011, 05:25 PM
My apologies, PRCS = Post Release Community Supervision.
I get that..my question was 'what' is it they screen for? Do they have rules to follow for this screening, or is it just up to the agent?