View Full Version : New Bill Pass in Florida about early release

mskhiev
11-03-2011, 11:39 PM
hello need information on the new bill just passed in Florida about early release any body know please contact me

NAN425
11-04-2011, 06:09 AM
Nothing has been passed. The legislature isn't even in session. Bills are being filed (introduced) by senators and legislators right now to be put on the agenda for consideration for the next legislative session that starts in January. You can find information about the content of some of those bills that affect inmates, and updates on the progress of those bills in the legislature, in the News and Events forum.

amickeyfan
11-05-2011, 06:02 PM
The only thing I saw in the paper was that the prisons will not go private..that has been stopped by the Judge.. there have been no bills passed or signed about early release.. there has been talk, but nothing signed on early release..... sorry

There was a bill passed about the Coke and Crack laws.. if that is what you are talking about... I will see if I can find it and post it for you..
they have made the two have the same sentence now. Before, the sentence for Crack was much longer than Coke.. I actually think the bill was signed back in 2010 but it is just now seeming to have an affect and inmates are now getting released.

this is what I have found so far.. but nothing in Florida specifically..

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-11-01/justice/justice_crack-cocaine-sentencing_1_powder-cocaine-fair-sentencing-act-crack-penalties?_s=PM:JUSTICE

you can try reading this too..

http://www.famm.org/

NAN425
11-05-2011, 06:48 PM
The coke and crack sentencing thing was only for the Federal justice system and Federal prisons. The US Sentencing Commission decided to apply a 2010 Federal law changing sentencing guidelines to Federal prisoners also sentenced before the change in law.

There has actually been a piece of legislation filed for the new Florida session in January that would allow a form of early release/parole for some non-violent first-time offenders identified as in need of substance abuse treatment, but it still remains to be seen whether it has a chance of passing and being signed by the governor or not. The details are in the news and events forum.

mskhiev
11-05-2011, 11:38 PM
you have to go to WFSU: Lawmaker Promotes early release for inmates 10/21/2011 this is Florida News

mskhiev
11-05-2011, 11:40 PM
amickeyfan can you go on the chat line i need to talk to u please

NAN425
11-06-2011, 09:44 AM
Mskhiev, we're talking about two separate things here:

1) The Federal Crack & Coke Sentencing Guidelines that had been changed in a 2010 Federal law, that were recently changed and made retroactive to allow certain Federal inmates to be released early

2) A piece of Florida state legislation that is proposed for the Jan. 2012 session of the state legislature. It would create an early release or parole program for first time, non-violent offenders who are identified as needing substance abuse treatment who complete a 120 day treatment program at DOC. It is not a law, but just a proposed piece of legislation that could become law if it passes and is signed by the governor. It recently was passed through one committee but probably has to pass about a dozen more votes before it could become law, and this program faces an uphill battle in a Republican legislature in an election year. No one wants to be running a re-election campaign as the guy who voted to let the criminals out early, even if it is actually a good program. It makes for sexy political attack commercials.

Here's a link to the thread here that tracks the progress of this bill:

Florida HB 177 (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569599)

amickeyfan
11-09-2011, 05:20 PM
Mskhiev, we're talking about two separate things here:

1) The Federal Crack & Coke Sentencing Guidelines that had been changed in a 2010 Federal law, that were recently changed and made retroactive to allow certain Federal inmates to be released early

2) A piece of Florida state legislation that is proposed for the Jan. 2012 session of the state legislature. It would create an early release or parole program for first time, non-violent offenders who are identified as needing substance abuse treatment who complete a 120 day treatment program at DOC. It is not a law, but just a proposed piece of legislation that could become law if it passes and is signed by the governor. It recently was passed through one committee but probably has to pass about a dozen more votes before it could become law, and this program faces an uphill battle in a Republican legislature in an election year. No one wants to be running a re-election campaign as the guy who voted to let the criminals out early, even if it is actually a good program. It makes for sexy political attack commercials.

Here's a link to the thread here that tracks the progress of this bill:

Florida HB 177 (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=569599)
that was why I asked if that was what she was talking about... :confused: different laws but seems they are just letting some out now ...:confused:

NAN425
11-09-2011, 08:07 PM
that was why I asked if that was what she was talking about... :confused: different laws but seems they are just letting some out now ...:confused:

They are just letting some of them out now because of a recent decision by the Federal Sentencing Commission to apply the 2010 change retroactively so that it affected a large group of inmates that originally weren't eligible for sentence reductions.

KingsWifey
11-10-2011, 10:17 AM
you have to go to WFSU: Lawmaker Promotes early release for inmates 10/21/2011 this is Florida News

When they refer to the Bill and the vote....this did not mean it was voted into affect. This Bill was voted on by a "subcommittee". It hasn't even made it's way to the House and Senate yet (where it must pass by majority vote in both before going to the President)

The bill's sponsor has been advised to rewrite the proposal before it goes any further so it's a ways off.

NAN425
11-10-2011, 01:31 PM
When they refer to the Bill and the vote....this did not mean it was voted into affect. This Bill was voted on by a "subcommittee". It hasn't even made it's way to the House and Senate yet (where it must pass by majority vote in both before going to the President)

The bill's sponsor has been advised to rewrite the proposal before it goes any further so it's a ways off.

Actually since this is the Florida legislature we are talking about, not the Federal government, the bills go to the Governor, not the President.

The subcommittees are working groups made up of members of the house or senate (depending on whose committee it is) that evaluate bills and decide if they are worth the attention of the entire legislature. That is what that vote was about. It passed a subcommittee vote but then it has to go to a committee. And often a bill has to pass SEVERAL committees before it makes it to the full house or senate. And it has to pass both the house or senate. And if it passes the house or senate and goes to the other one and they revise it, then it has to be passed again in its revised version by the other body.

Then the Governor has to decide if he wants to sign it or not after everyone else passes it.

Complicated enough for you? ;)

KingsWifey
11-10-2011, 02:53 PM
:rolleyes: Uh, outside of saying the governor would sign instead of the President you repeated much of what I said but I appreciate the schooling.

NAN425
11-10-2011, 04:16 PM
:rolleyes: Uh, outside of saying the governor would sign instead of the President you repeated much of what I said but I appreciate the schooling.

Sorry, that wasn't actually intended for you it was intended to just expand on the topic in general since we talk about this stuff so often here and there is always a lot of confusion about it. I clarified the Governor thing at the start to avoid confusing people is all.

I spent 3 years as a government major in college before deciding I didn't want to spend the rest of my life spending 60+ hours per week surrounded by idiot politicians, so I figured I would share the benefit of my useless education with others and see if something useful could be made from it by someone. LOL :rolleyes:

amickeyfan
11-10-2011, 07:02 PM
They are just letting some of them out now because of a recent decision by the Federal Sentencing Commission to apply the 2010 change retroactively so that it affected a large group of inmates that originally weren't eligible for sentence reductions.

so basically they expanded who it effected :confused: and now more can be released.. if I am understanding it correctly, right?

NAN425
11-10-2011, 10:56 PM
so basically they expanded who it effected :confused: and now more can be released.. if I am understanding it correctly, right?

Yup. They decided to increase the number of lottery winners LOL

KingsWifey
11-11-2011, 08:00 AM

I do believe I read that there are stipulations. Nan probably knows the answer to that....I thought I'd read they have to have had no behavior problems while incarcerated before being considered for the early release.

lin787
11-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Besides using crack, what about the crime they were locked up for? There is something hinky about this .