View Full Version : K-9 dog training in prison

k-9christy
04-22-2004, 02:30 PM
hello. im feeling a bit like a fish out of water here, not knowing where to start on this website, so im just going to dive in and see what sort of feedback i might receive.

first, i live in colorado. recently unemployed, and encouraged by the show on animal planet's CELL DOGS, im considering researching what i would need to do to start such a program at one of the local prisons.

if anyone has any suggestion on how to proceed, im all ears/eyes. i have an extensive background in working with animals and basic training. what i lack is knowledge/information of the prison system.

thank you in advance for any input you might share.

christy

RAMSgirl
04-22-2004, 02:34 PM
My husband finished his time up in Burlington. They had a dog program there. It was the BIGGEST thing in that prison. In fact, bigger than anything in there. I remember numerous times, visiting him and dogs would be all over the visitation room. You might call Burlington, Kit Carson Correctional Facility, see if they can help ya get one started. Just a suggestion. Good Luck! Hope that helps. Smile !

deb
04-22-2004, 02:35 PM
Christy--

Welcome to PTO! I moved your post to Colorado as these folks will know the system there and how best for you to proceed etc.... Good luck!

Deb

WSF
04-22-2004, 04:57 PM
If you do a search for prisondogs.com there is a ton of info there I have checked it out. Many there are trying to start programs in their state so I would start there.

WSF

WSF
04-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Sorry I think it's celldogs.com

WSF

Tuco
04-22-2004, 08:30 PM
That sounds like a great program to start. My friend is in a women's prison in Corona, CA and told me all the lifers there have dogs. Seems like great therapy for them.

Nochipa
04-23-2004, 07:08 PM
Both Kit Carson and Territorial facilities here in Colorado have dog programs and I believe that Canon Womens either has now or will be having one soon. Kit Carson has been featured on the Cell Dogs program. I am not certain how long they have had that program but, I do know that it has not been quite a year since Territorial started with one.

cheesy77
07-12-2004, 06:45 PM
I trained dogs in the k-9 companion program for a few months before I was parolled from Territorial. I may be of some help

trashisfree
04-09-2010, 12:47 PM
They had the dog program in my pod while I was in Sterling. One of the few decent paying ($50 a month instead of $5 or 10 a month) jobs that were available. I feel the dogs definitely had a good over all calming effect on the inmates. It brought life to a place that had none.

Their presence definitely helped me, I was dealing with a double whammy of losing my wife due to asthma and getting busted and heading to prison in 1 bad night.

Surprised they have not started prison nursing homes. Non violent offenders taking care of senior citizens. Kind of like the dog program, 1 or 2 seniors per inmate. Inmates would have to graduate a cna class first.

As an ex inmate, I think the dog program is great, one of very few high paying jobs for inmates. I got a whole $5 a month for teaching ged 1/2 a day. Figure 10 students at 50 cents each per month. Training a dog pays 100 times what I was getting paid per student, which tells you how little DOC thinks an inmate is actually worth.

I did find a few quirks in the dog program that I found humorous. You cannot be an arsonist or sex offender and be in the dog program. However one of the dog handlers was a necrophiliac, which apparently is not classified as a sex crime. He was a good dog handler though.

saoirse1
04-09-2010, 04:12 PM
They had the dog program in my pod while I was in Sterling. One of the few decent paying ($50 a month instead of $5 or 10 a month) jobs that were available. I feel the dogs definitely had a good over all calming effect on the inmates. It brought life to a place that had none.

Their presence definitely helped me, I was dealing with a double whammy of losing my wife due to asthma and getting busted and heading to prison in 1 bad night.

Surprised they have not started prison nursing homes. Non violent offenders taking care of senior citizens. Kind of like the dog program, 1 or 2 seniors per inmate. Inmates would have to graduate a cna class first.

As an ex inmate, I think the dog program is great, one of very few high paying jobs for inmates. I got a whole $5 a month for teaching ged 1/2 a day. Figure 10 students at 50 cents each per month. Training a dog pays 100 times what I was getting paid per student, which tells you how little DOC thinks an inmate is actually worth.

I did find a few quirks in the dog program that I found humorous. You cannot be an arsonist or sex offender and be in the dog program. However one of the dog handlers was a necrophiliac, which apparently is not classified as a sex crime. He was a good dog handler though.

When were you there and do they still have the program? How did you get involved in it? I think it is an awesome program and my loved one really wants to get involved depending on where he ends up. Thanks in advance.

seansbabyluv
04-09-2010, 08:25 PM
When were you there and do they still have the program? How did you get involved in it? I think it is an awesome program and my loved one really wants to get involved depending on where he ends up. Thanks in advance.

I know they still have it at Territorial and at some of the private prisons. You can go through each prison profile and see what kind of programs they offer for inmates. It's a little time-consuming but its good information to have.

Here's some good information for it...

http://www.coloradoci.com/serviceproviders/puppy/index.html?faq

saoirse1
04-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Once again thank you! That link is very helpful! I have looked and looked at the profiles and couldn't find the specific facilities that have the program. I have googled it and used the lonk on the DOC website and have never found this. Thanks again!!!!!

seansbabyluv
04-10-2010, 07:57 AM
Once again thank you! That link is very helpful! I have looked and looked at the profiles and couldn't find the specific facilities that have the program. I have googled it and used the lonk on the DOC website and have never found this. Thanks again!!!!!

They list them under the FAQ's on that link...but as always it's not always up to date...but it's a start.

24jf
04-12-2010, 10:12 AM
I do believe that Sterling still has the dog program from what I've heard from my honey.

dbass
04-12-2010, 11:21 AM
Denver Women's also has a dog program

saoirse1
04-12-2010, 08:08 PM
Thanks so much! We have a feeling that Sterling might be home for a while. We will know soon.

jerri smith
01-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Im new to using prison talk so dont know if im even replying right sterling does have a dog program they train dogs for adoption my husband is one of the trainers so wasnt quite sure what your question was or actualy what you wanted to do so i was just letting you know they do have a program there.hello. im feeling a bit like a fish out of water here, not knowing where to start on this website, so im just going to dive in and see what sort of feedback i might receive.

first, i live in colorado. recently unemployed, and encouraged by the show on animal planet's CELL DOGS, im considering researching what i would need to do to start such a program at one of the local prisons.

if anyone has any suggestion on how to proceed, im all ears/eyes. i have an extensive background in working with animals and basic training. what i lack is knowledge/information of the prison system.

thank you in advance for any input you might share.

christy

trashisfree
09-14-2011, 01:21 AM
While I am not an official dog trainer, I often have 1 or 2 dogs I dog sit at my home for $100 a week each. Is it making me rich, no. But it is one of many things I do that brings in money. Another friend is making as much walking dogs 2 hours a day as she was full time as a kindergarten teacher. I would strongly suggest the dog program to inmates, especially ones that would rather be able to be self employed later after release.

Luvmyman11
09-15-2011, 10:31 PM
Sterling does have the dog training program. My fiancee is one of the handlers there.