View Full Version : Will I lose housing subsidy? Someone help me if they have answers please.

Mz Bone
10-25-2011, 07:27 PM
my sons dad is in prison an we want to get marries the only thing holding us back is i am on section 8 i dont want to loose it if we do. does anyone know if i marry him will i loose my voucher an when he is eligilbe for parole do they contact the lanlord or who how does that work

10-25-2011, 07:37 PM
What state do you live in?

10-25-2011, 09:14 PM
it doesnt matter the state, hud rules and regulations are the same all across the united states. no, u will NOT lose your housing, u MUST prove he is in prison. 98% of p.o's advise the landlord that ex felon is living there. felons are usually only allowed on a section 8 lease (voucher or public housing project) when in sole custody of a child via a cps case or caring for a parent/grandparent. your best bet? 1. stack up some money to move when he is out or 2. have him put someone elses address down for parole or rent a monthly hotel room. #1 is the BEST choice as #2 can land him back in prison.

10-26-2011, 02:11 PM
My nephew came out 5 months ago. He was living with his brother but didn't want to pay rent. He told his PO he was moving with his sister or his mother. Her first question was is either on Section 8? He said yes and she told him the law says that a convict cannot reside in federally funded housing. Plus one of my niece's girlfriend gave up her Secton 8 since her man was coming home. Now they are not together and she can't afford her apartment. She's being evicted from the new place and he is in the wind.

Sorry I'd say hold off on that wedding and wait until he comes home and gets a job so that you two could afford an apartment. Start looking for a place that he can come home to even if he is rarely there. Because before release the PO has to go to the address and see where he will sleep and approve it.

10-26-2011, 03:35 PM
Yes, you can loose you voucher if a convicted felon lives with you. HUD doesn't allow it regardless of the offense, atleast this is true of where I live.

10-26-2011, 06:30 PM
i asked a friend of mine. her man lives with her ONLY because of her disability and it took a loooooooong time (19 months )to get approved. it finally was allowed because he was her caregiver before prison. i already knew there are verrrrry slim chances but wanted to double check for ya :~) best bet is to save up, buy/rent a place before the parole inspection. me personally, i would make him wait til he got out, have him rent a hotel room, get a job and be able to provide. due to an emergency i may need temp housing. my babe has the option to open up his own business when he gets out so he will be providing

01-15-2012, 10:43 PM
I am in Texas .. just had a meeting with housing authority. A convicted prsn CAN be added to the lease IF the landlord approves. Now for housing to approve it depends on the convinction. If their offense is drug related (such as my case), it must be 5 yrs frm the date of conviction,they must hv completed a drug therapy course, AND it is also a decision of the landlord. The persons criminal plays a role but doesn't always mean a definite NO. If he is paroling to your address then it will he on file with the parole office, so you can take a chance as to whether you should let housing know he is in your home,or not. I am told before we get married, I need to get approval frm my landlord first for him to be in my home if not approved I need to decide whether to give up my housing assistance ....or keep quiet. I do not know if housing and parole communicate like that or not.

01-16-2012, 12:01 AM
A friend of mine had to give up her section 8 when her husband came home from prison.

01-19-2012, 07:52 PM
Im in illinois and i also have section 8 to i let my boyfirend porole @ my home and they neva new only way they know is if u tell them the porole ppl dont commuicate with housing

01-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Im in illinois and i also have section 8 to i let my boyfirend porole @ my home and they neva new only way they know is if u tell them the porole ppl dont commuicate with housing

Are you saying that she need to tell the porole ppl not to talk to the housing. Or for not to say anything at all to them

01-26-2012, 11:14 PM
A convicted felon cannot live under a federal voucher. If u choose not to tell them and hide it please be aware of one thing. Anyone who knows he is a felon can and will rat u out if u piss them off then u face immediate eviction and cannot reapply for services for five years.

01-27-2012, 06:50 AM
You can get married, as long as he does not live with you. Getting married isn't going to effect your section 8 until he comes out of prison. Then it may become harder. From what I know,you can still be okay, he may simply have to live elsewhere until you get off section 8. However, the chances of him actually able to live with you on Section 8 married or not is slim. Not to say that it cannot be done, but probability right out of prison is not good.