View Full Version : MP3s coming our way

mallafri
10-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Hi guys,
Thought I'd share with you that MP3s finally seems to be coming BOP's way! They just did a computer upgrade at my BF's prison to prepare for music on them. As far as we can tell, they can buy the MP3s from commissary, plug them to the computers and they can download music from their computer account. Not sure what the charge will be but I love the idea of being able to share a playlist with my BF! :) /M

will_be_waiting
10-24-2011, 02:49 PM
Yay! This is GREAT news. My husband had mentioned this a couple of weeks backs so now I can tell him that its in the works. Many of our LO's are truly gonna appreciate this, as music is food to the soul ♪♪.

lonelytxbird11
10-24-2011, 04:06 PM
keep us posted on anything you find out..great christmas gift..music money..

MiniMoose
10-24-2011, 05:29 PM
Yay! This is great news. Now they need to drop the price of batteries ;)

stuckinperg
10-24-2011, 08:26 PM
awesome!
this was supposedly going to be a test run of this program at alderson.

The last i heard, the players wouldnt run on batteries, but have to be recharged, at special charging stations, at the inmates' expense. My guess is this is their way of being able to take away MP3 player access for inmates who act up.

snabby40
10-24-2011, 09:15 PM
How long does it take for a inmate to get e-mails at Alderson? Also do they have to pay to get the e-mails? Also how much is Stamps at Alderson and how do I add money to my friend account? I don't know anything about the prison system this is new to me.

mallafri
10-25-2011, 12:49 AM
How long does it take for a inmate to get e-mails at Alderson? Also do they have to pay to get the e-mails? Also how much is Stamps at Alderson and how do I add money to my friend account? I don't know anything about the prison system this is new to me.

Welcome to PTO newbie! :) I don't know specifically about Alderson but it shouldn't take more than a week to get the emails up and running, your friend have to apply to get access. Yep, they pay for every minute they spend on corrlinks, the email system. I think it's about 5 cents per minute! You need to give your friend your email address, she then puts it into corrlinks and a request will be sent to your email, you then follow the link in the email to register with corrlinks and you're good to go! You can give your friend money via western union and it has to be a quick collect payment, which goes straight into BOP's account rather than someone going to a western union office to claim the money. You need the company code, which is FBOP DC, the name which is Federal Bureau of Prisons, your friends inmate number followed by her last name. Here's a link to Alderson's webpage: http://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/ald/index.jsp

You'll find a lot useful information on there, like visiting rules, commissary list and if you check in contact information you should find info about sending money. /M

YarnAddict
10-25-2011, 10:37 AM
This is COOL!! I am going to ask my brother if he has heard anything about this.

Zelda50
10-26-2011, 01:32 AM
Anything for the BOP to make more money off inmates and their families! I'm not going to get excited about it until I see the prices.

stuckinperg
10-26-2011, 02:50 AM
I have objections only from the standpoint that it further supports/enables the BoP and this attitude of incarceration is the best option. Having said that, since thats what were stuck with, it probably is a good idea, and will be good for inmates as well as the BoP.

ItsInTheStars
10-27-2011, 02:12 PM
I know Im so excited also. My love said they go on sale on Jan 1st :)

YarnAddict
10-28-2011, 11:17 PM
My brother confirmed the rumor, and he said the players will cost $100 according to what he has heard... and that the songs will come from Walmart.com's music downloads and songs will be $1.50 a piece...

stuckinperg
10-28-2011, 11:52 PM
any word on whether the player or downloads will count against the 300 monthly limit?

will_be_waiting
10-29-2011, 12:05 AM
Interesting. I had a feeling they were gonna be around that price range. Now 1.50 per song is ridiculous! I think .99 would have at least been more reasonable.

stuckinperg
10-29-2011, 12:45 AM
well its par for the corse for the BoP. 1.29 is normal from napster

Zelda50
10-29-2011, 01:53 PM
If those are the prices, that's not too bad. Walmart censors their music, don't they?

MiniMoose
10-29-2011, 03:32 PM
WalMart does indeed only sell censored music.

If those are the prices, that's not too bad. Walmart censors their music, don't they?

Princess1029
10-29-2011, 04:11 PM
My hubby told me about the MP3's also. He is super excited!

Erics4ever
10-29-2011, 04:15 PM
I am very happy about this!

MrsMurray1
10-29-2011, 05:35 PM
Yea, my baby told me this on Monday I think it was when the phones and comps were down for half the day. He says when he logs on to send an email there is an mp3 icon now.

Shunka
10-29-2011, 07:50 PM
The last i heard, the players wouldn't run on batteries, but have to be recharged, at special charging stations, at the inmates' expense. My guess is this is their way of being able to take away MP3 player access for inmates who act up.I guess the reason is a totally different one! I guess they just don't want that many batteries in prison, because you know some inmates are very inventive. They could destroy the batteries and that acid inside of the batteries can be used for dangerous criminal things, for example to hurt people or to use it for manipulating a locked door as a chance to escape, and so on... For us a battery is simply a battery, but prison is a different world, we should never forget that... And no, this is not a joke, what I said about the batteries is true. And inmates could collect them from other inmates if they plan a bigger thing. In some cases I really see the safety restrictions of the prisons as overstated, but in this case I understand it, even more because the destruction of some little batteries is so unspectacular that the officers would not even notice that something is going on. However, I don't know if the danger is also given in case of modern tiny round cell batteries... And I also don't know which kinds of batteries are used in MP3 players.

english2791
10-29-2011, 09:54 PM
I think $100 is expensive for my husband that would be 2 months wages.He doesn't believe that will be the price but time will tell.

Willie'sQueen
10-29-2011, 10:40 PM
I'm so excited...my hubby told me about this last week. I can't wait to buy him one!!!

stuckinperg
10-29-2011, 11:57 PM
shunka, from what I understand, radios and fans already run on batteries in prison. The little MP3 player I had while I was at the HWH took ONE AAA battery, and that would give me several hours of playtime. So I guess id be a little suprised if the security issues of battery use was the reason(not saying it isnt by any means just seems like it wouldnt be a huge issue). Its also possible that these MP3 players are more complicated(security and whatnot), and therefor requires more juice and would require a bigger increase in battery usage.

will_be_waiting
10-30-2011, 03:42 AM
MP3 Player Program Update

MP3 players were tested at FPC Alderson, WV in October 2011. After Alderson, it will be available at the female institutions (ladies first!) followed by the rest of the facilities. It is estimated that the cost of the MP3 players will be between $55 and $65. The estimated price for downloads will be $0.90 to $1.20 per song. The MP3 players will NOT operate on batteries. There will be charge stations available. You will be charged for recharging your player. At this time we do not know how much that service will cost.

MiniMoose
10-30-2011, 08:48 PM
If this is a quote from somewhere, per the Fair Use policy, would you please post the link to the address?

Please refer to this policy: (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23755) To stay within “fair use” copyright you are allowed a brief summary and a link back to the site which the article is located.

MP3 players were tested at FPC Alderson, WV in October 2011. After Alderson, it will be available at the female institutions (ladies first!) followed by the rest of the facilities. It is estimated that the cost of the MP3 players will be between $55 and $65. The estimated price for downloads will be $0.90 to $1.20 per song. The MP3 players will NOT operate on batteries. There will be charge stations available. You will be charged for recharging your player. At this time we do not know how much that service will cost.

will_be_waiting
10-30-2011, 10:52 PM
I most certainly will MM :thumbsup: Just let me figure out how to add pdf from mobile cuz its not a link, copyright or anything of that sort. Its like a memo.

mallafri
10-31-2011, 01:36 PM

Charging for the recharging?!?! Typical BOP, sucking every last dime out of everything... :( /M

stuckinperg
11-17-2011, 11:24 PM
just a little update, i heard from a friend who is at jesup FSL that he is seeing the icon for music on trulincs(not the email system) as well, just not able to purchase music or the player yet.

mallafri
11-18-2011, 01:36 PM
just a little update, i heard from a friend who is at jesup FSL that he is seeing the icon for music on trulincs(not the email system) as well, just not able to purchase music or the player yet.

Yeah, my BF also have the icon on his log in page. He's had it for about a month, not sure why they're taking so long to start selling the mp3's though, you'd think they'd have everything planned once they start putting the icons, right?! /M