View Full Version : Can I fly out of state w/o my probation officer finding out?

tato89
10-10-2011, 08:17 PM
So I have to go out of state the end of October. I am on felony probation, and am reporting every month. I don't want to inform my officer of this travel because I am behind on payments, and I can't leave state with that. I am leaving from Texas to new Orleans for thee days. Now my question is if there are any points at an airport where my id may be ran. And if so can my officer see that, like any other traffic ticket? Thank you all who respond to this.

Paulie'sGirl
10-10-2011, 08:34 PM
Don't do it!! It's way too risky. What happens if you get into trouble, get a traffic ticket, have any issues. If you are flying, there will be a record. If you drive, unless you are totally under the radar and pay on a CC or debit, there will be an account of you, out of state. If you are busted for anything, you are back in jail or prison for violating. Is it really worth it? Also for the amount of money you are getting ready to blow in New Orleans, pay your PO. Get current and stay out of trouble!!

tato89
10-10-2011, 09:01 PM
I appreciate your response. I am a contractor, and this is actually for work. I've asked before to do out of town jobs, but he did say I needed to be current...

jencali
10-10-2011, 10:57 PM
I don't know what they can and can't find out, but I'd guess that yes they can. And you can't get on a plane or even through the check points without showing Id. They won't even give you a boarding pass without one and since the ticket has to be in your name to use it I wouldn't think it would even be something a tiny bit difficult for them to find.

patchouli
10-11-2011, 04:52 AM
Either talk to your PO about it and get permission or don't go. Its so not worth the risk.....and yes, you'd be surprised what a PO can find out.

Seduced
10-11-2011, 05:09 AM
How about you tell him that you know you're behind and that was part of the deal, but this job will give you the means to get current or put X dollars toward getting caught up? And then make sure you do it.

nimuay
10-11-2011, 05:29 AM
What Seduced said! If this is work-related, you talk to your PO, you show the job offer, you explain.

Face it, the alternative is that you go back for the rest of your time. That's a heavy penalty that you probably don't want to pay.

Vixen311
10-11-2011, 05:35 AM
i would tell him about the job. don't do it with out his permission,cause i can tell you from experience that a mad p.o. is NOT what you want. they can find out tons of things, you'd be surprised..i know I was.

Real Checker
10-11-2011, 06:51 AM
Listen, it is your your probation officer's discretion as to whether give you permission or not. If it is for work and he says you have to be current first, then I would tell your PO you want to appeal your needs to his supervisor. I would avoid just going to his supervisor if you can avoid it ... but let him know you want to so he won't harbor bad feeling about it. Work related travel should be an exception to the rule ... and it probably IS but I don't know since I have not been on probation in Texas in like 40 years now.

I do not believe your PO will be notified of your travel itinerary by any airline, motel, or even travel agencies if an NCIC or similar check reveals you are on probation. But if during your travel the most minor violation is entered into the system your PO will be notified and you will certainly be hammered.

My best advice, and it is advice that I hope you take to heart, is to ALWAYS do the right thing. If you always do the right thing then your life will have very little obstacles and what few obstacles it does throw at you then you will be able to overcome them. An example would be the fact you are behind on your payments. I would be willing to bet that if you are true to yourself that at some point it was a WRONG decision that caused you to be behind in the first place. If you had done the right thing regarding you payments back when, then your travel issues would be a moot point right now.

You will probably get away with it if you go, but what I am trying to pound into you right now is to operate on principle. DO THE RIGHT THING, even if it means going to your employer with the news that you won't be able to travel for a while.

26thncaliswag
10-11-2011, 08:07 AM
I think you need to listen to theses fine folks! If you ask me and you have proof that it's work related, I'll probably let you go. The only thing that would dtop me from being so accomodating would be if you were dishonest before, if you are not in complaince with major conditions etc... You leaving without permission is just going to piss me off becasue now you are being sneaky and I have no love for that. Hoensty goes a long way in this game.

By the way, NCIC and LEADS both show your probation status. And there are many other ways I'll find it if I want it.

fbopnomore
10-11-2011, 10:16 AM
If you have passed through airport security lately, I don't think you would be asking. As the probation officer posted, the fact that you are currently on probation is included in a number of computer data bases that are checked by the TSA before you are cleared to fly. It's up to you, but I sure wouldn't do it myself.

thatwiz
10-11-2011, 01:02 PM
My hubby has had to let many jobs go because his PO will not let him travel anywhere. We can't even rent a vacation home out of state. So we don't-he and you won't be on parole forever-unless you don't follow the rules. Make some spending cutbacks and get current with what you owe, but its not worth risking going back to jail for a few dollars.

Straight
10-18-2011, 04:04 PM
I think it's ironic that a few posts above this is a thread asking if people think it's possible to make it on parole.

I guess the straight up answer is yes, maybe you can do what you're thinking about doing. And yes, you can go to prison if you're caught.

And when you think about it in those terms, that's exactly the choice you like had when you did whatever you did to go to prison to begin with, and you can see how that turned out.

Not trying to be mean, or hard. Just straight. No offense intended. Hopefully we can talk like adults and not ruffle feathers :)

RuthieBee
10-18-2011, 04:08 PM
i think you could get out..but getting back in would be the scary part...