View Full Version : Exercise Routines?

Soul SLiver
10-25-2002, 08:32 PM
I know how moody we can all get given our situations and I know that when I'm depressed my two best friends become Mr. Apple and Mr. Pie. I also know that when I'm not in that mood, I exercise more and eat better. So I'm wondering if it's the same for everyone else and more so what do you do for exercise?

I thought that maybe if enough of us were interested, we could share our exercises and maybe start our own little PTO health club? :)

I guess I could start it to get things rolling...

I walk anywhere from 5-20 miles a week depending on the weather (and how good of an apple season we're having)

I try to do at least 100 crunches every day, maybe 50 lunges, and sometimes I'll do 50 squats.

I thought maybe with the support we all have for one another, we could help eachother set goals and the like for our own exercise plans.

What do ya think?

shalove
10-25-2002, 08:37 PM
I LOVE THAT IDEA.... I GOTTA DO SOMETHING. REAL FAST. I WORK OUT WITH MY MOM AT THIS WOMANS CLUB CALLED "CURVES FOR WOMEN" IT IS A 30 MINUTE WORKOUT AND IT IS REALLY WORTH IT. I HAVE BEEN SLACKING BUT I NEED TO GET IN THE GROOVE OF THINGS. I NEED TO LOSE THIS WEIGHT..... AND START DOING CRUNCHES OR SIT UPS. AND EAT RIGHT OF COURSE....

Amelia
10-26-2002, 01:12 AM
Well I am with you on the Apple Pie deal...I think I have Rocky Road ice cream for dinner for 3 months now...lol...

The only exercise I have been doing is chasing my little ones around the house....

I am starting Slim-fast tomorrow and I think I am going ot do your in-home work out too...thinkI will aim for starting with one mile first though!...I know when I am exercising and eating better things just feel better and are easier to cope with

there was another post about getting together and helping eachother to lose weight but I don't think anything ever came of it...??...I think it is a great idea!

Valerie
10-26-2002, 03:00 AM
It's a Great Idea! I like Rocky Road Too Amelia....

Ken
10-26-2002, 03:46 AM
Ok, but if this is an exercise club then we have to stop talking about all the food! LOL

It is a proven fact that increasing your exercise level - cardio and strength training - does in fact reduce depression and increases energy levels. Exercise that will do this has to be sustained exercise for a period of 20 minutes or more. Housework and chasing the kids does not really count although is better than nothing.

If your need is for energy level and overall better outlook then cardio is the key. If however you want to lose weight as well then there is nothing better than strength training. Weight training or strength training is really the same thing. Muscle burns more calories than fat and just by building muscle you will start to burn more calories even while you sleep. The only effective way to get rid of unwanted body fat is to do strength training part.

As we age our metabolism slows and we need less calories. The problem is that we tend to eat the same but as our metabolism slows that just adds up to more fat! Also as we age our muscle tone drops and is replaced by fat.

3-4 times a week is the perfect schedule for cardio training and strength training. You WILL feel the benefit!