View Full Version : Canteen / account questions [lower buckeye]

random_miser
09-11-2011, 01:47 PM
I've got a sibling in lower buckeye who doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon and I'll be helping them out with their acct.

What are prices like in the canteen? Is the food in the facility bad enough that you'd buy food there?

I'm out of state, so calls are pretty expensive. Trying to gauge what level of support is useless/reasonable/excessive.

uRmylife
09-11-2011, 03:55 PM
Unfortunately, I am familiar with Lower Buckeye. Prior to being transferred to DOC my other half was there for about 4 months. The food is HORRIBLE and minimal. So canteen money would definetely be good! My guy is VERY thrifty....and never wants to ask for any money so he only uses maybe $5.00-$10.00 per week sometimes he won't order anything....I would think that he would be able to get by with $10.00 - $20.00 MAX per week for food, etc.

Hope this helps.

Paulie'sGirl
09-11-2011, 04:54 PM
The other thing you will find out, is that it is EXPENSIVE to PUT money on the books. There is a pretty excessive fee to use a credit card, or pay by phone. When my BF was in Joe's Jails, I always put money on his account, when I visited. Obviously, this in NOT ideal for you, since you live out of town.

Assuming that your brother is NOT going to blow through all his funds at one time, it may be better to put $50 at a time, just so you are not paying $6.95 to put $10 or $20 on his books.

Also note, if he has back child support, the state will take all or a portion of his commissary money. I remember one gal, who was talking to the CO and crying and asking why her husband lost all of his commissary money. The state took it for back child support.

Just a thought.

allaboutvball
09-14-2011, 10:46 PM
My son just sent me the pricing for the bulk of their available items. Most food items averge 1.50-2.50, but items like shampoo/conditioner are closer to $6. You would do best to start by putting $50 or so and see how often they go through it. They should be able to give you an idea of what they need per week after ordering a few times. I concur, the fees are over $11, so you're better off putting more on each payment than less. Also, note, they charge an arm and a leg for Tylenol through their clinics, $10, so if they need it, try to have them order it through the commissary, it's much cheaper. If you need more info, you can message me privately and I'll do my best to answer what I have information on.

Forever&aDay
01-14-2012, 05:32 AM
My juvenile step son was just taken to Lower Buckeye Jail and I have no clue how the commissary situation works---I need help ASAP!!!!!!!!! Please pm if you can provide some guidance. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

Paulie'sGirl
01-14-2012, 08:48 AM
Hope this helps:

http://www.mcso.org/JailInformation/InmateAccounts.aspx

If I remember correctly, they charge a absurd fee for using a credit card. I live in Phx and when I was visiting, I always paid cash, when I was visiting. But it appears you are out of town, and this is not an option. You may also want to set up 'collect calling'. I think your only options is "MVconnect.com" for MCSO.

((hugs))

BiaP
01-15-2012, 10:11 AM
Keep in mind that the money has to hit their books by Wednesdays at 5 for them to be able to order on and get their food on Thursdays. Otherwise they have to wait a week.

Also, they no longer accept cash. Western Union money orders or postal money orders only. Weekdays from 8 to 2 (I think those are the times) They changed the rules right after I was done dealing with LBJ.

You can also drop off money at 4th ave if you are closer to there. Same rules apply.

Forever&aDay
01-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Hope this helps:

http://www.mcso.org/JailInformation/InmateAccounts.aspx

If I remember correctly, they charge a absurd fee for using a credit card. I live in Phx and when I was visiting, I always paid cash, when I was visiting. But it appears you are out of town, and this is not an option. You may also want to set up 'collect calling'. I think your only options is "MVconnect.com" for MCSO.

((hugs))

Thank you. You are correct, I have to do everything from a distance because I'm in CA and he is the only person he has reliable contact with. I'm trying to hold it together as best I can because he's the baby of the family and his home situation is horrible. The next thing is how to reduce the cost of the calls, is it cheaper if they call a phoenix number because I will change my number for now. My husband rarely calls and his calls don't cost much but I need to here from my step-son to know what's going on because he has court on the charges that landed him there in the next couple of weeks. Any help would be appreciated again.

Forever&aDay
01-15-2012, 01:31 PM
My son just sent me the pricing for the bulk of their available items. Most food items averge 1.50-2.50, but items like shampoo/conditioner are closer to $6. You would do best to start by putting $50 or so and see how often they go through it. They should be able to give you an idea of what they need per week after ordering a few times. I concur, the fees are over $11, so you're better off putting more on each payment than less. Also, note, they charge an arm and a leg for Tylenol through their clinics, $10, so if they need it, try to have them order it through the commissary, it's much cheaper. If you need more info, you can message me privately and I'll do my best to answer what I have information on.

Is it possible for you to pm the list to me so that I can be sure he has his needs. AZ is different from Cali and I am worried.

scottcolson
01-19-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm also in California and my brother is in 4th Ave Jail. I opened a Google Voice account and requested a Phoenix phone number. Do a Google search for Google Voice and open an account.

Next, I had Google Voice forward all calls from the Phoenix number to my cell. Now my brother calls a local Phoenix number which is local to him and it rings my cell. The cost for a 15 minute local call is about $2.75 or so. You will need to open and fund a V Connect account at myvconnect.com using the Phoenix number you selected from Google Voice and you will be good to go.

Forever&aDay
01-21-2012, 09:19 PM
I'm also in California and my brother is in 4th Ave Jail. I opened a Google Voice account and requested a Phoenix phone number. Do a Google search for Google Voice and open an account.

Next, I had Google Voice forward all calls from the Phoenix number to my cell. Now my brother calls a local Phoenix number which is local to him and it rings my cell. The cost for a 15 minute local call is about $2.75 or so. You will need to open and fund a V Connect account at myvconnect.com using the Phoenix number you selected from Google Voice and you will be good to go.

Thank you. That's what I was thinking so I had set up the account, I just haven't funded it because I wasn't sure it would work. I will fund it asap because we spoke for 20 min. and the call cost me $30 (yikes).

allaboutvball
01-25-2012, 08:06 PM
My juvenile step son was just taken to Lower Buckeye Jail and I have no clue how the commissary situation works---I need help ASAP!!!!!!!!! Please pm if you can provide some guidance. THANKS SO MUCH!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I'm a bit slow on this site sometimes reading the AZ forum...I sent you a PM..if you haven't already received all your answers....PM back as needed.
Wish you and your family the best of luck...