View Full Version : Anthony Correctional Center; White Sulphur Springs, WV

justvicki
04-17-2004, 06:26 PM
Box N-1, HC 70
White Sulphur Springs, WV 24986
(Phone) 304-536-3911
(Fax) 304-536-3916

Mission Statement:

It is the mission of Anthony Correctional Center to provide a safe, secure, and healthy alternative correctional environment that offers young men and women a comprehensive, evidence-based, and gender-responsive model of care and supervision focusing on increased personal responsibility and accountability and attainment of tools necessary for long-term success.

History:

Anthony Correctional Center is located in Neola, West Virginia on Rt. 92 in Greenbrier County, 15 miles north of White Sulphur Springs. It was built in 1965 – 66 and maintained by the federal government as the Anthony Civilian Job Corps Center until 1968. In October 1970, the facility was leased by the West Virginia Department of Public Institutions (now Division of Corrections) from the federal government to operate a community involved, educationally oriented, correctional facility for male juvenile offenders.

In January 1980, Anthony Center was designated as a young adult male offender correctional center; no longer accepting juvenile commitments, but young males adjudicated under the Youthful Offenders Act.

In March 1985, Anthony Center was converted into a co-ed correctional facility in order to provide equal opportunities for both male and female adult offenders. This transition was necessitated by the WV Supreme Court ruling in the Flack vs. Sizer/McCoy case which stated that “WV Code 25-4-1, et.seq. is to be applied in a gender-neutral fashion”.

At present, Anthony Correctional Center primarily houses male and female young adult offenders between the ages of 18-23. Offenders are committed for a term of six months to two years. Once the offender has completed all program requirements, he/she is released to the committing court and receives probation for up to five years. However, if the offender is deemed by the court to be unfit or has repeatedly broken the rules of the institution, he/she can be returned to the committing court to receive the original sentence. Currently, Anthony Correctional Center houses 176 young adult men and 24 young adult women.

Anthony Correctional Center houses twelve males in the Diagnostic Unit. These males are committed to our facility for a maximum of 60 days. During that time period, the males participate in a series of psychological testing and interviews and a report is submitted to the sentencing judge. The report is used by the sentencing court to indicate how the inmate will respond to a supervised and structured setting (incarceration) or an unsupervised and unstructured setting (probation).

Anthony Correctional Center also houses eight adult female inmates. These inmates were transferred from Lakin Correctional Center and have created a stable work force within the institution.

Anthony Correctional Center is the only adult facility in which offenders are required to enroll and participate in the WV Department of Education programming. These programs include Academics: Basic Skill Development, GED preparation/GED Diploma, Special Education student services, Literacy, ACT preparation, High School Diplomas; Vocational: Auto Mechanics, Business Education, General Building Construction, Culinary Arts, Welding, Transitional Skills and Career Technology. College classes are also available for students through the local Community College.

Personnel:
* Teresa McCourt - Warden
* Associate Warden Programs - Mark Wegman
* Associate Warden Operations - Tammie Alderman

sherriehicks
09-03-2004, 02:01 PM
My son was sentenced to ACC for the usual 6 mo to 2 yr sentence. He arrived there on March 18, 2004, the 6 mo. is up in 2 weeks, 9/18/2004, He is now being told that his tenative release will be NOV, he has completed all the mandatory hours, schooling etc. What could the problem be?

hoover33005
05-17-2006, 01:52 PM
Mam, (I am assuming of course) the system has offenders who go to the ACC kinda confused. See they call it a 6-24 month program. But in reality it is a 9-24 month program. I am not downing the ACC though, it helpoed me greatly over come a lot of things. Please mam be paitent your son will be home soon enough, just please help him stay straight. It will be very difficult..ask my mother. But just have faith. Tell him to be very carefull, as he gets ready to leave the ACC, the other offenders will make it very difficult for him to go with out getting right ups

JAM29
05-22-2007, 01:19 PM
what happens from a-z once sentenced from start to end when there?

justvicki
05-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Once sentenced to the Anthony Center they remain either on bail or at the facility where they are held until a bed becomes available there. Once at the facility they go through a classification process that will determine, in addition to any court ordered program, what other programming they will have to complete. The inmate has 6 months to two years to complete that programming. Once the do, they are discharged. However, if they become a disciplinary problem or if they do not complete their programming in the required amount of time, they will be sent to a DOC facility and their original sentence will be re-instated.

JAM29
05-23-2007, 06:20 AM
what do they get to wear?

justvicki
05-23-2007, 08:10 AM
DOC issued blue demin pants and blue chambray shirts.

pensgirl3
07-22-2007, 10:44 PM
i wish the ACC information site had info about visitation [dress code, etc.]. can someone fill me in please?

codysbabygirl
08-23-2007, 10:19 PM
hi everyone. My name is katie..Im 17. Im new to this site. My boyfriend Cody was Sentenced to the Anthony Center, about 2 months ago. He has to serve 6 months to 2 years. He is in there for Armed Robbery. He hates it. He says he would have rather stayed in Salem, or at the Western Regional. The way i hear it, they have something called the toe line?? and they make them stay outside in the heat all day? Does anyone know if the main site has inmate pictures??

justvicki
08-23-2007, 11:13 PM
Hi and Welcome to PTO and the WV Forum.

Inmates at the ACC have several times that they are able to go outside during the day. Normally it is twice in the mornings, after lunch, twice in the afternoon and again before lockdown at night. When I was there no one was forced to go out at anytime, and certainly not forced to stay out in the heat.

Hopefully things will improve soon and he will be able to concentrate on the possibility of being able to come home in 6 months - 2 years rather than have to do his original sentence and face a parole board.

Good luck to you both!!!!

justvicki
04-26-2008, 02:06 AM
I didn't realize this had happened until I was re-reading the info on ACC on the WVDOC website:

"Also due to overcrowding, on 13 December 2004, Anthony Correctional Center began housing 24 adult female inmates. These inmates were transferred from Lakin Correctional Center and have created a stable work force within the institution."

Bonnie
04-30-2008, 05:20 PM
Hi Katie!!

Welcome to PTO.. so good to have you here!!! Make yourself at home, and please anytime you need to know something, feel free to ask...

Take care, Bonnie

AmyR
09-07-2008, 02:16 PM
the last time i was at the acc i went to a lake just up the road from acc.. it was beautiful.. can anyone tell me what the name of the lake is?

justvicki
09-07-2008, 03:29 PM
Lake Sherwood is about 10-12 miles past Neola on Route 14 in the Monongahela National Forest. Think that might be it?

kaw1965
09-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Yes thats it...I spent all of my summer there as a kid. I remember seeing the guys from Acc up there all the time, they would come and pick up garbage, cut grass and just general maintainance. Kim

getinrdy2go
11-13-2008, 08:58 PM
hi every one im new to this im gettin senteced to acc next few weeeks and im scared as hell i dont no what to think how is it in there i mean any 1 please wright me and tell me everything you know im very lost and need a lil soothing help so pleast write me back thanks chris