View Full Version : How to estimate parole eligibility time...

cuatroswife
08-09-2011, 08:17 PM
I need some help. My husband is still in county jail but has been sentenced to TDCJ for three years. He has about 162 days credit so far. What I'm trying to figure out is under good circumstances, how SOON would he be eligible for parole? I know they have to spend a certain amount of time based on their sentencing, but I'm having trouble finding that information...

Anything will help at this point. Thanks in advance.

Renee
08-09-2011, 10:28 PM
When he gets to TDCJ, he will become eligible for parole at about 25% of his sentence. That doesn't mean it will happen, though. He must be approved for parole by the parole board. That process can take up to 6 months or more. When he gets to TDCJ, you can check the TDCJ Online Offender Search (http://offender.tdcj.state.tx.us/POSdb2/index.jsp) for his Parole Eligibility Date (PED) and his Projected Release Date (PRD). I have found the PRD to be a pretty good target date. Good luck!

RobinsMan
08-10-2011, 06:55 AM
A rough but pretty close estimate, especially for shorter sentences, is to simply divide the length of the sentence by 8. Parole eligibility will be a little sooner than the result. I have a little spreadsheet I built to try to estimate PED and PRD more accurately (it comes pretty close to TDC dates) and it tells me he would be eligible after 4 months and 4 days. I think that means he is already eligible for parole if he has 162 days of credit towards his sentence.

cuatroswife
08-10-2011, 03:15 PM
I'll definitely have to check that site once he gets there. I wonder how long he'll stay in county before they move him... I've never had to deal with any of this before and it's hard by myself..

Hey Royce, would the same thing be true for seven years? Our lawyer called and said they might not accept the three at this last hearing (He has three cases...two that are MTR's). So, would that mean with his credit he would have to wait five more months before he's eligible without calculating "good behavior/3:1 work time", right?? I'm sure I'm probably putting too much thought into this and it's confusing me.. :)

RobinsMan
08-10-2011, 04:53 PM
For a seven year sentence the Parole Eligibility Date moves out to a little less than ten months. By the way, this all assumes that he doesn't have a 3g (aggravated) offense. If that is the case then it is easy to figure because it comes at exactly half of his sentence. Another "by the way" is to be careful in what you consider to be time credit. You said he has 162 days of credit but then I see you write "3:1" and that concerns me that you are thinkig in terms of county good time and maybe including that in the time credit you think he will have coming. Only the actual days spent in custody (flat time) for the offense will carry to TDC and count towards his sentence. Once they process him in TDC he will get TDC good time for his county flat time which, in the beginning, works out to be a little better than 2:1 but that adds nothing to his time served towards his sentence. Good time is only used in figuring his Parole Eligibility Date and Projected Release Date. That is, as long as his offense is not 3g. They will add his TDC good time and his flat time (county and TDC) to figure his PED and PRD.

cuatroswife
08-10-2011, 05:42 PM
It's not an aggravated offense, I know that for sure.

As far as the credit time is concerned...I'm confused to what you're trying to explain. (Sorry).
Like I said earlier, he has two MTR cases and one new case (all DWI's). At his hearing, they said they would credit time served previously in county for all cases towards his sentencing.. Which at that time was 144 days (I even verified it online under his case info).. I mentioned the 3:1 because he's working in the kitchen at county right now and they said when he does that, he gets three days credit for each day of work. But I didn't calculate any of that because I don't know how much he's worked or anything.
I'm so overwhelmed with all of this, and I apologize that I have so many questions...
So, I don't understand - does the flat time he spent previously (4 years ago for the same case that got MTR this past week) count towards his sentencing or not? And how do you know whether or not he gets "good time"? Do they provide that to him or do I have to call or something? By the way, I'm the wife that calls maybe three or four times a day with a million different questions. I'm so clueless, but I care enough to find out, ya know.

Arobertson61910
08-10-2011, 06:27 PM
I need some help. My husband is still in county jail but has been sentenced to TDCJ for three years. He has about 162 days credit so far. What I'm trying to figure out is under good circumstances, how SOON would he be eligible for parole? I know they have to spend a certain amount of time based on their sentencing, but I'm having trouble finding that information...

Anything will help at this point. Thanks in advance.

I was told that they are required to 1/4 of the sentence before eligible. I don't know, my hubby went in Apr. 6 on a 2year sentence with 22 days back time and was eligible for parole 6/9 and made it his first time up!!!

cuatroswife
08-10-2011, 08:16 PM
I was told that they are required to 1/4 of the sentence before eligible. I don't know, my hubby went in Apr. 6 on a 2year sentence with 22 days back time and was eligible for parole 6/9 and made it his first time up!!!

Aw, that's great! :)
I keep hearing that the units are overpopulated, so they're a little more easier on the parole board to make room for more serious offenders or whatever. Hope that's the case for mine... I think he'll be going to the Middelton Unit at first, so we'll see.

SparklyPink0513
08-10-2011, 09:02 PM
Royce and/or Renee, I'm confused. Does the person have to do 25% of their sentence before their eligible for parole? If so, Royce, why would we divide it by 8? My boyfriend has a 2 year sentence. He was out on bond so there's likely only a couple of days credited before he went in for good. When I calculate the 25%, I get that he should be eligible at about the 6 month mark. When I divide by 8, I get 3 months. Which one is most accurate? He hasn't been transferred to TDC so I don't know the PED yet. However, we'd both like to know what he can expect as far as coming up for parole. Help!!

RobinsMan
08-11-2011, 09:45 AM
It's not an aggravated offense, I know that for sure.

As far as the credit time is concerned...I'm confused to what you're trying to explain. (Sorry).
Like I said earlier, he has two MTR cases and one new case (all DWI's). At his hearing, they said they would credit time served previously in county for all cases towards his sentencing.. Which at that time was 144 days (I even verified it online under his case info).. I mentioned the 3:1 because he's working in the kitchen at county right now and they said when he does that, he gets three days credit for each day of work. But I didn't calculate any of that because I don't know how much he's worked or anything.
I'm so overwhelmed with all of this, and I apologize that I have so many questions...
So, I don't understand - does the flat time he spent previously (4 years ago for the same case that got MTR this past week) count towards his sentencing or not? And how do you know whether or not he gets "good time"? Do they provide that to him or do I have to call or something? By the way, I'm the wife that calls maybe three or four times a day with a million different questions. I'm so clueless, but I care enough to find out, ya know.

Don't worry about asking questions. It's part of why PTO exists.

That 3:1 means nothing to a person in county jail on a prison sentence and it will add nothing to the days served towards his sentence. If you didn't include that in the 162 then that is good but just know that he will only get actual days served credited towards his sentence. Those days served include every day spent behind bars for the offense no matter how long ago so that includes time before he was placed on probation. Only in extreme circumstance would someone not get TDC good time credited to them for their county time so you can count on him getting that. It is done by TDC as standard procedure and requires no action by you or him. After he gets to TDC they will give him a timesheet that details the flat time and good time they have credited him with.

RobinsMan
08-11-2011, 09:49 AM
Royce and/or Renee, I'm confused. Does the person have to do 25% of their sentence before their eligible for parole? If so, Royce, why would we divide it by 8? My boyfriend has a 2 year sentence. He was out on bond so there's likely only a couple of days credited before he went in for good. When I calculate the 25%, I get that he should be eligible at about the 6 month mark. When I divide by 8, I get 3 months. Which one is most accurate? He hasn't been transferred to TDC so I don't know the PED yet. However, we'd both like to know what he can expect as far as coming up for parole. Help!!

You divide by 8 for non-3g offenses because a persons good time is included in the time used to calculate their parole eligibility. Since everyone starts out at L1 getting 35 days of good time for every 30 days flat time it is roughly 2 for 1 so they only have to do 1/8th of their sentence in flat time before their good and flat time add up to 1/4 of their sentence. As they move up in good time earning status they can earn as much as 45 days of good time for every 30 days flat and their dates move up even more.

SparklyPink0513
08-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Thanks, Royce! That makes it easier to understand and explain to him.

jasmcw91
08-12-2011, 10:27 PM
What is MTR?

Renee
08-13-2011, 02:32 PM
What is MTR?
I believe it's motion to revoke probation/parole.

cuatroswife
08-13-2011, 08:21 PM
I believe it's motion to revoke probation/parole.
That is correct.. In our case, it was probation..

phantom1989
08-21-2011, 12:29 PM
My husband has a 3 year non aggravated sentence. He sat in county jail for 55 days before before his revocation hearing where his parole was revoked. 3 days later he got his time sheet from TDC. His PED is 4 months 5 days from the day he got arrested. He's been in jail since May 12...now I've heard they count months by 30 days. If they don't count 30 days as a month then his PED was August 17...and if they count 30 days his PED is September 15. Either way he hasn't seen a TDC facility yet so I can't check any of his other dates. He's in a different county jail on a contract hold and is a trustee there so that should look good for the parole board. Since by the time they contact him he will not have any classes complete.

phantom1989
08-21-2011, 12:31 PM
I mean his probation was revoked not parole...lol he's never been to jail before this

RobinsMan
08-22-2011, 06:56 AM
TDC counts evey day that a person spend behind bars for his offense so you don't have to worry about 30 days to a month or whatever. They will figure his PED, PRD etc down to the day and he will get credit for them all. You are right on with a PED after about 4 months so if he was arrested on March 12 then his PED should end up having been around the middle of July once he transfers and they figure his time. He'll also get credit for any time he spent in jail before his arrest on the revocation.