View Full Version : Home Confinement

Cinammo
04-16-2004, 07:39 AM
Has anyone out there been in home confinement ? Does it work the same for everyone. Is everyone electronically monitored? Can you work during home confinement? Are you required to work during home confinement even if your health will not allow you to on the orders of a doctor?

What about Probation? I read somewhere that you are required to work during probation. I receive Social Security Disability. Will they still require me to work ?

John B. Webster
04-16-2004, 08:43 AM
I was on HC for 30 days finishing a sentence. Although each district's procedures vary a little, the following is the basic procedure: You get a rubber monitring bracelet and a monitoring device that is attached to your phone. It itches and baby powder is the only thing that helps. The device calls the "Center" at various intervals and reports whether the bracelet, meaning you ,was out of range at anytime during the interval period. If it was, you got "some splaining to do." Yes, you can shower with it but no baths or swimming. As to work, MD, lawyers and approved liesure time, you provide a schedule a week in advance and it is approved or modified. As to work, you leave the house at a certain time and must be back at a certain time where the device picks up when you came and went. If something comes up like overtime or commuting problems you must immediately call the PO/person responsible. No detours are permitted like shopping etc. I had a federal bid, but was on HC was a County Sheriff's Department. I had no problems with the deal, it didnt interfere with things and my HC went smoothly. Beat the hell out of prison or a halfway house. Pretty simple: follow the rules and there are few if any problems. No internet use allowed HC. Something to do with the phones. Your not going to beat the system and it works well.

As to not working, I dont know the deal there as it never came up. Perhaps Greyghost can help here.

hkieffer
04-16-2004, 08:56 AM
Home confinement - either as a component of a "split sentence" or as a condition of supervised release or probation requires you to work in most cases. If disabled (verified) or a student currently enrolled in classess, this condition could be modified or eliminated.

Electronic monitoring is sometimes used in thes situations but is more normal in pre-trial conditions of release.

Home confinement - with the exception of pre-trial - should not in any way prohibit internet use (without extraordinaty facts).

jft
04-16-2004, 02:36 PM
With home confinement, you do wear the electronic monitoring, my husband can shower, bathe and swim with his. He gets 6 hours of personal time per week for shopping etc and 2 additional hours on Sunday for church. He also gets 8 hours every Federal holiday. He does work and they do not ck it weekly, He just gave his work schedule to the monitoring company and can be gone a total of 60 hours per week including his personal time. (excluding holidays) If he should wander out of range we would get a phone call first, if he was not there they would send someone out to see what the problem was. Our phone line cannot have call waiting, caller id, call forwarding (he has his own line for this as we have a teenager at home)

hkieffer
04-16-2004, 05:18 PM
Home confinement can include electronic monitoring - but it does not have to contain that "feature."

Hayes
04-22-2004, 10:56 PM
How do you qualify for Home Confinement?

jft
04-23-2004, 06:46 AM
In our case the judge downward departed, gave hubby a split sentence of 1 year and a day at a camp and 6 mos of home confinement as part of probation

jft
04-23-2004, 06:55 AM
We also have internet usage..we have a dsl line and there is no interference with the home monitoring device at all...You would not be able to use a dial up on the same line as the device is plugged into as you cannot have call waiting and if you were on the computer it would give a busy signal.

The answer there is either a dsl or a second line for the computer.

hkieffer
04-23-2004, 07:23 PM
How do you qualify for Home Confinement?
Either as a condition of probation, part of a split sentence, the final portion of a sentence - either in lieu of CCC placement or the last portion of such placement, or as a condition of supervised release.