View Full Version : I'm getting paranoid being on inactive/non reporting probation.

WishToBeDone
07-27-2011, 04:57 PM
Living life on inactive/ non reporting probation seems very normal to me. I keep telling myself this can't be this easy. There's a catch somewhere and I'm missing it. I've been on inactive probation/ non reporting probation for three months now and have had zero contact with a probation officer. I know that some people who are on non reporting probation still have to report by phone or mail, just not in person. I wasn't told to do this though...I'm under the impression that I don't ever have to report anything to a probation officer unless I change address, change employment, or have contact with law enforcement. Is it really this easy? I mean, if I was suppose to be reporting by phone/mail these past three months and haven't been, they would've contacted me by now, right? I'm so afraid of screwing up, especailly unintentionally. And I don't want to call my probation officer to ask such questions because it's been nice being under the radar. Plus, I don't want to waste their time with what are probably stupid questions.

patchouli
07-27-2011, 05:52 PM
Just breathe!! Live your life and stay out of trouble. I've been on "unsupervised" for almost a year and have had no problems what-so-ever. I do not report by phone, mail or by any other means. You're fine. If you have doubts, just call your PO and doublecheck :thumbsup:

26thncaliswag
07-27-2011, 07:50 PM
Finally! Something that my state does like the rest of US civilization.

BlueOZ
07-27-2011, 09:48 PM
Hey man, just relax. Stay out of trouble and just keep to yourself - you'll be fine. When in doubt, you can call your P.O.

I was on inactive/non-reporting or whatever it is for 2 years and I never had to do anything except when I wanted to leave the state.

I noticed in another post you were expressing a concern over warrants for your arrest? Go to Google, type in your COUNTY name followed by "Court". I know most states have viewable records on their website. Just make sure it's a government website. You can view your information by searching by your name/case file number.

If you have any outstanding warrants (I seriously doubt you do - you'd probably have heard about it by now if you violated your probation), they'll show up. Oh, and I should mention that if your state works like mine does, it'll show a "Regular Warrant" for each count of whatever it was you did. Mine said "Issued from Jail" - because they have to have a warrant to arrest you, even if they catch you in the act. They basically arrest you then get the warrant. LOL

As I said before, the ultimate peace of mind is to call your P.O. and check. Just express your concern.

Hope this helps!
-BlueOZ

WishToBeDone
07-27-2011, 10:28 PM
Thanks for the responses everyone. It just seems too good to be true how things are now. I was a nervous wreck while I was on supervised/reporting probation for a year fearing that something would go wrong by accident. Now, I don't have really any restrictions at all. I can travel pretty much anywhere. Maybe not out of the country without premission, but any state in the USA. I can't own a gun, but I never have owned a gun, so that's not a big deal. I guess I'm not suppose to drink (which I don't anyway) but how would they know if I did? I just need to relax and not be so worried all the time. though it's easier said then done.

Thanks again for the responses.

passionfruit
07-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Wow that must be nice! ;-) what qualifies a person for inactive probation? Can a person from prison be on inactive parole?ty

patchouli
07-28-2011, 08:17 AM
To qualify for inactive status, the probationer must report and pay all fees, have clean UA's, no contact with LE etc. It took me a year to get inactive status. Parolees must be on parole for quite a while as well--its up to the PO how long--and do everything they're supposed to do (and not do anything they're not suppsed to do) just like probationers. An offender just paroled from prison cannot be inactive, but can do well on parole in the hopes of earning inactive status eventually.

VA PO
07-28-2011, 09:24 AM
In VA, we put offenders on non-reporting status if they are in substantial compliance with the terms of supervision, ie, they paid all fines and costs, or have been in compliance with a payment plan (and there is no need for a PO to continue to be a collection agency); they are stable in residence/employment, etc. Basically, you get to non-reporting if you have performed well on reporting probation, and you need to ride out the length of your supervision, because for one reason or another cannot be early terminated. Inactive probation, however, is different in VA in that there is probably not a specific PO assigned to you, and you would not meet with a PO at all, just have period record checks performed by the probation office.

Igor Louis
07-28-2011, 07:58 PM
In NM it's completely different...what we call "unsupervised status", you don't report to an Officer or anything. The District Attorney's office monitors your case for any arrests and, if one pops up while you're on unsupervised, they issue a warrant to pull you in front of the Judge that has you on unsupervised. You can request an early discharge, but those are tough to get as a dirty UA or any arrest can halt that.

passionfruit
07-28-2011, 11:50 PM
To qualify for inactive status, the probationer must report and pay all fees, have clean UA's, no contact with LE etc. It took me a year to get inactive status. Parolees must be on parole for quite a while as well--its up to the PO how long--and do everything they're supposed to do (and not do anything they're not suppsed to do) just like probationers. An offender just paroled from prison cannot be inactive, but can do well on parole in the hopes of earning inactive status eventually.thank you!!! I now understand..;-)