View Full Version : Home and hard to get job! :(

missnmyman
04-14-2004, 09:25 PM
Well he's been home for a month and he's having a really hard time finding a job. A few people have been so rude as too hang up or walk away from him when he tells them he has a Felony.:pissed: I feel bad because he is soooo frustrated! Do any of you know of any resources or agencies to help him find employers who are willing to hire him. He had 10yrs with the last Co before all this happened. Any info would be great! Thanks in advance ladies..oh yea..we're in Washington State. :)

mustangsmilie
04-14-2004, 09:40 PM
Sorry, but I dont have any ideas for you? I will keep you guys in my prayers though. I know that we will all probably be dealing with the same issue with our loved ones make it home. Good luck to you....

LuvandLaughs
04-14-2004, 09:42 PM
Ugh this isn't encouraging for me! :argh Mike will be coming home in October and he's asked me to check into truck driving schools...today I found out that very few places will hire someone who has a record. :(

I wish you the best of luck and hope he finds a job soon. :)

j2sq
04-14-2004, 09:46 PM
:yes: i will find out what this is like next year. Joe has 2 felonies on his record! IMAGINE WHAT WE WILL GO THRU?!

r there any forums here for that kind of stuff?? maybe do some searches in some forums......

GOOD LUCK!!!!!! don't give up!

Kelly13540
04-14-2004, 10:17 PM
There is an employment forum that has a lot of info about getting a job after prison. Best of luck to you both!!

SerenitysDancer
04-14-2004, 10:40 PM
I have not experienced this firsthand but from reading other threads it seems temp agencies, construction jobs, or on the spot temp jobs (where you get paid the same day you work) are the best for hiring. Good luck and I will keep you in my prayers.

imissmylove
04-15-2004, 09:03 AM
Well I've heard that USPS I think whatever the brown delivery truck is lol I can't even think, I'm brain dead right now lol. But anyways, I hear they hire people like that or go to a temporary agencies they will hire them, I'm pretty sure b.c I read something about that in the employment forum. Good luck. I'll keep you in my prayers

MRSMAZE
04-15-2004, 09:26 AM
Try to contact your local Regional Workforce Development Board, they offer workshops for ex-felons and tips on companies that receive a tax-credit for hiring our guys.

missnmyman
04-15-2004, 10:14 AM
Ugh this isn't encouraging for me! :argh Mike will be coming home in October and he's asked me to check into truck driving schools...today I found out that very few places will hire someone who has a record. :(

I wish you the best of luck and hope he finds a job soon. :)
Yea Truck driving schools and Trucking Co's wont take you if you've had a Felony in the last 5-7 years.

babieboo
04-15-2004, 10:34 AM
Tell him to hang in there. I know I guy out here who did get a job truck driving when he got out. He will find something..just dont give up and keep looking.

Ms.Heather
04-15-2004, 10:57 AM
I'm sorry that you have to go through this! My friend is getting out in a few months and this is my biggest fear for him. He tells me not to worry about it, but he has no idea how hard it will be for him to get a job!
missn is right, trucking CO's will not take a felon into a school. Not a recent felon. I am not sure about UPS letting him drive either, I know at DHL Worldwide they will not hire a felon. Companies say that they do not 'discriminate' but thats bull... they do.
Try a employment agency. FInd one with a good reputation and good people who work there that he can go in talk to, explain the situation to... and they will help him.

Good luck to him!!!!

Heather

Jacks_Tracy
04-15-2004, 11:26 AM
Absolutely check with the state workforce development office as suggested. UPS does have a pretty liberal stance when it comes to hiring felons. It may be only part-time to start but they give full-time benefits.

Also, tell him that he wouldn't want to work for a company that would treat him like that (walking away, etc) anyway!!!

MissOne
04-15-2004, 04:55 PM
Tell your honey to hang in there.
Nothing beats failure, but trying.

My son told me he couldn't find a job, i told him he would just have to keep looking. He said for how long. I said as long as it takes.

Shelby
04-15-2004, 07:17 PM
My ex-bf has been charged with 53 felonies, hasn't worked in 5 years. The only trade he has is as a printing machine repair person and has worn out his welcome in that business. Every job he has ever had he never held for more than a couple of months at the most. Every one who has given him the chance at a job ends up regretting it when they have to fire him for stealing. I have no clue what he is going to do when he gets out this time. Guess that's why he always returns to the life.

tonysgirl
04-15-2004, 07:28 PM
My baby comes home in a few months also and I started looking early for his school he will attend and some jobs that may hire him... It is true about truck drivers, my baby wanted to do that also... I was completely surprised because every truck driver I have ever seen looked like they spent time somewhere!LOL:) But seriously, it is hard work finding somene to hire them.

MTContrary
04-15-2004, 07:32 PM
I think the idea of contacting the local job agency is good, there are problems. I also worry about it, and am not sure the guys know how hard it will be. My best tip is networking - ask everybody you know who is your friend and might be able to help. That's who will get a job for you, friends. Good luck

sixmonths
04-15-2004, 08:42 PM
I work for a non-profit agency and we've hired people with felonies, providing they could do the job. I think non-profit agencies have a better attitude about giving people a chance.

Roger's Girl
04-15-2004, 11:14 PM
The others are right. Have him go to the local Workforce office. There is a tax credit some people arent aware of, the government will give a company special tax consideration for hiring felones. When my brother came home in 2002, I had him go down there and he it took a few weeks but he did get a job.

Somethings just take time. Keep a good attitude and tell him to hang in there, it will all work out.

imissrondale
04-15-2004, 11:30 PM
i know in pennsylvania we have a carrer link that help us find jobs they are online too and if you have a record they usually know if there is places that will accept people with criminal history and give them a chance call your local assistance office and see if there is one in your state hope things get better

missnmyman
04-16-2004, 12:18 PM
Thanks Ladies for all your help and encouragement. He has an appt Mon at Worksource. She said she should be able to help him sense he has such a great work history before this. Thank goodness he had his last job for 10 yrs. He's feeling discouraged still but I'm just trying to be there..lord knows I don't have the answers. But I've been networking my butt off! :)