View Full Version : Anyone have experience with N.C. Parole?

Kimjaye
07-21-2011, 01:28 PM
My fiance is a second degree lifer, now on parole. We are living in Massachusetts and were planning to transfer his parole to north Carolina in the next several months. Parole in this state is a huge mess! We just went six months with no parole board and basically had to jump huge fences for us to leave the state for two days to attend a funeral for an immediate family member. I'm somewhat worried that we will move away in hopes of finding some sense of freedom and finding that we were better off here! After 18 years in prison, and 3 years of parole without any issues, I really need him to feel free.

patchouli
07-21-2011, 04:19 PM
I can't answer your questions for NC, but do want to welcome you to PTO. Hopefully someone with parole experience in NC will come along and give you some insights. :)

07-22-2011, 10:25 PM
I don't have any experience with the Probation/Parole side of Department of Correc tions but here's some web sites for information:

http://www.interstatecompact.org/
The Home web page for the Interstate Compact

http://www.interstatecompact.org/About/NavigatingtheCompact.aspx
Helpful links

http://www.interstatecompact.org/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=nSrdvdlcBuQ%3d&tabid=358&mid=2760
Interstate Compact Eligibility and Guide and Worksheet

Good Luck!

mrsholley
07-30-2011, 07:23 AM
I can't say a lot about them but my husband is also a second degree lifer with 5 years post release. He started out on supervision in North Carolina and then roughly a year later transferred to NY to be with me. He was happy with his parole experience in North Carolina. Says his parole officer was very nice. He was able to come to NY for his brother's funeral and to visit us on holidays(he had family here also). After being locked up for 18 years in the state, he just didn't want to live there anymore. Plus he met me in NY :0) . His experience in NY has not been so favorable.

Kimjaye
07-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Thank you so much! I have heard horror stories from so many people about parole. They literally hold your life in their hands. We are thankful for his freedom, and prove that on a daily basis by the way we live, but were afraid of a misunderstanding at the same time. All it takes is an accusation. If we have to wait for a table at a restaurant and they offer us a seat in the bar, we won't take it.....what if...family members post pictures on Facebook of us at cookouts with a beer on the table near us and we have to have them take the picture down. We have watched too many men be sent back to prison while a situation is investigated, only for a few months, but by then your house, job, and reputation are all gone. We just can't afford to go through that. Apparently after 7 years of parole we can apply for revise and revoke. I'm not able to find much info on the process, but I'm hoping that moving to another state won't delay the process. I don't think he will know true freedom until he is finished with parole.
Thank you all for your comments! This site is such a blessing for me. I don't know anyone else in my particular situation, and it's nice to have a place to go with questions, or to just know that there are others on the same journey.

mrsholley
07-31-2011, 10:24 AM
We had some bad experiences here in ny and that's why he is back in North Carolina now. We are praying things work out for the best and if he comes back I think we may be applying for a transfer out of here also. I hope things work out well for you.

Justice66
01-15-2012, 02:02 PM
My fiance is a second degree lifer, now on parole. We are living in Massachusetts and were planning to transfer his parole to north Carolina in the next several months. Parole in this state is a huge mess! We just went six months with no parole board and basically had to jump huge fences for us to leave the state for two days to attend a funeral for an immediate family member. I'm somewhat worried that we will move away in hopes of finding some sense of freedom and finding that we were better off here! After 18 years in prison, and 3 years of parole without any issues, I really need him to feel free.

I can only respond from my experience and the county I live in Guildford County They do not keep up and are very lenient. I can not say all PO's are like that. The PO's have way to many cases to keep up with and many times they just don't. I also know some counties have where you sign in online and that's it and make sure you pay your money you were ordered to pay and you will do fine. I have herd from some on parole in Mech county that they are really tough so guess it depends on the county and the PO.

Chaoticangel
05-25-2012, 10:41 AM
Yes, I have recent experience with this, my guy got out 2 weeks ago. PM me and I will try to help!

cam221
10-01-2012, 08:18 AM
I live in NC and it depends on the parole officer. Some can be really nasty. My son had one like this but he is gone now.

rytw44
02-05-2013, 11:46 AM
My brother has been in the North Carolina prison system for 32 yrs+. He has been up for parole many times and denied. He did not kill anyone. He received time for (rape?) and he and 2 other men took 3 staff members hostage at the prison in the 80"s and he received 25 yr sentences (5?) back to back so his approximate release date is 2068. None of the hostages were injured and he is no where near the person he was then. He has not been in trouble and his health has deteriorated in the last few years. He is on dialysis and has had surgery on his legs. Our family's concern is that he will die in there. He is not originally from North Carolina. We are from Maryland and have been present once and on the phone during his parole hearings. Each time he has been denied. I do know that North Carolina released murderers with 25 yrs and less a couple years ago. But will not release him. Our family cannot afford lawyers but I need to help him. Any information anyone can give me would be so appreciated!

tracey08054
04-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Just a quick question.. My fiance' is from Gates county and we are wondering how things are as far as parole? Are the strict with a homeplan?