View Full Version : Postitive Drug Dog Detection

gurlsetzfire
07-21-2011, 08:46 AM
So, I went for my scheduled visit today at MAU. I went through the Ion scanner, no problems, I went in and was the only visitor there. They decided to call for the drug dog. After the dog walked past me 3 or 4 times the handler pointed to me and the dog walked over and sat in front of me. The handler asked me where I had drugs hidden, and I told him I didn't have anything on me, I even offered for him to go search my car. He said he didn't feel like doing any paperwork. I meet with the SIO and another CO and asked to be searched. They said they couldn't. I said that if they had probable grounds to believe that I had drugs on me then to call the police so they could search me. Again, no. I sat with them for over a half hour only to be turned away. I was devastated! I went back to the room where I first scanned. I was crying uncontrollably. The CO told me to relax and have a cup of coffee with him while he tried to figure something out to help. He said I had already spoke to all the right people and he want sure why else I could do. I called from the parking lot and spoke to the warden, who wasn't in so I spoke with his assistant. She called the SIO and then called me back. She said I am encouraged to continue visiting and because it was only my second visit that they didn't have enough of a history on me to overrule the decision. So it's going in front of some review board and I have to call Thursday afternoon to find out their decision. Needless to say I am absolutely devastated! I drove 7 and a half hours to have a 2 hour closed visit and was turned away! They said the dog is 100% accurate which is complete BS because I know I didn't have anything on me. I had my ID and my locker key, that's it! WTF!!

Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk

Gracie Green
07-21-2011, 07:56 PM
A lady came to my house this week to do a Community Assessment, and to start the process for PFV. She told me a story about a 92 year old lady who was turned away for drugs. The lady was in shock, she obviously had nothing on her. It turned out that the lady's granddaughter had been over to her house, had left her coat on top of the lady's coat, and had some dope in her pockets. It was a miniscule amount, perhaps the scent only. :( So maybe were you around anyone that accidentally exposed you? I feel really bad for you after all that driving to be given the run around like that. I hope they sort things out for you and you can get back to visiting.

gurlsetzfire
07-21-2011, 08:20 PM
I told them that I rent an apartment and my landlord has smoking weed in the house and I had told him about my situation with visiting the institution and how he had to stop. Aside from that I have no idea. I keep my clothes for visiting separate and put them on right before I left for my visit. I asked on several occasions to be searched and was denied. I offered my car keys to have them search my vehicle and was denied. I questioned the accuracy of the dog, at which time I was told it was 100% and I responded by saying that was incorrect and they couldn't state that because in this case the dog was wrong and they were unable to confirm the actual integrity of the dogs skills because they wouldn't search me to confirm whether the dog was right or wrong. I also argued that if they believed I was in possession of an illegal substance, then why wouldn't they call the police to have them search me. They said they would only call of they found something. So I asked how would they find something, if in fact they were refusing to search me in the first place. It makes no sense. I told them I was concerned because now I would be labeled and they said that was not the case. Yah right! Needless to say it's a mess! I was given 5 days to respond either in writting or verbally, to state my case, which I plan on doing tomorrow.

gurlsetzfire
07-21-2011, 08:22 PM
And the worse part is, because my man is still in reception, I was scheduled for a closed visit anyway. They said people who have open visits, if they scan positive then they are granted open visits, but I was refused completely!

Bear's_girl
07-25-2011, 05:30 PM
How did it go when you responded to state your case? I've been thinking about you and this awful situation - I hope it is working out for you. :)

gurlsetzfire
07-25-2011, 07:06 PM
I sent in my response today. It goes in from of a visitor review board on Thursday and I will have an answer Thursday afternoon. I am terrified and still so confused. I was there for a closed visit and yet they said I posed as a security risk to the institution. It's so frustrating because I did not have anything illegal on me. I had a locker key and 2 pieces of ID. It's stressing me out. The women I had an interview with told me I am encouraged to continue visiting, I just about died! I drive 8 hours for a 2 hour closed visit and was still turned away by no fault of my own. I know they were just playing games with me, but I was so devastated I literally cried from 845 am when this all happened until 945 when I finally arrived at home (11 hours of driving because of accidents and construction). I am terrified to go back and be singled out again for nothing. I am a student so making the trip is already difficult enough being on a fixed budget. Ugh! I'm at a loss, and still havent been able to sleep because of it!

Ralphie
07-25-2011, 07:24 PM
I am so sorry to hear about this happening to you. I am crossing my fingers that things work out and that you get a positive resolution soon!!

gurlsetzfire
07-25-2011, 07:45 PM
Thanx! I hope everything works out but the sad reality is that I'm sure I'll be labeled by the institution and may have ongoing problems from visiting staff. I'm praying that's not the case but I guess time will tell. It just bothers me so much because I have completely changed my life around and am not a trouble maker but they wouldn't take anything I said into consideration.

Gracie Green
07-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Dang, Gurl...I feel for you, and at the same time your story scares the hell out of me. My husband is 5 and a half hours away, and I cant imagine how I would feel if I was turned away like that. I have got my fingers crossed for you too! I hope it all works out.

gurlsetzfire
07-26-2011, 10:29 AM
I hope no one else ever has to go through that. It's frightening and I'm terrified to go back to visit. I want more then anything to see my man and they make it difficult.

gurlsetzfire
07-28-2011, 05:16 PM
So I called Millhaven today because my case went in front of the visitor review board and the guy wasn't very nice and said I was being let off with a warning, lovely, so they are basically saying I'm guilty but giving me another chance, but they're not going to make it easy for me to visit. Ugh, it's so frustrating because I didnt do anything wrong but in their eyes I'm guilty. :(

sandry
07-30-2011, 09:10 PM
So I called Millhaven today because my case went in front of the visitor review board and the guy wasn't very nice and said I was being let off with a warning, lovely, so they are basically saying I'm guilty but giving me another chance, but they're not going to make it easy for me to visit. Ugh, it's so frustrating because I didnt do anything wrong but in their eyes I'm guilty. :(

So sorry to hear that. That really sucks.

I am going to see my son next Saturday and am afraid of the Ion scanners because of my Diabetes medication. We have a 6 hr drive and I will be very upset -not to mention him- if we can't see him on his birthday.

Molly1
07-31-2011, 10:07 AM
I take medication for migraines and never had an issue with the ion detector. I did make sure to always have my prescription bottles in the car with me in case there was ever any questions or concerns.

gurlsetzfire
08-01-2011, 01:30 PM
I take medication for migraines and post surgical pain, and didn't have an issue with the ion detector. I too bring my meds in their prescription bottle and I have a doctors note as well.

Newtothis!
12-16-2011, 10:43 PM
Last saturday the same thing happended to me visiting Joyceville, stating that the dog indication was positive on me for durgs. I was in complete astonishment and freaked out. What on earth is going on here? I have absolutely NO drugs of any kind on me, nor do I hang out or have been in close contact with anyone that uses drugs. I do not use any drugs myself and I insisted that they searh me but they didn't - instead they turned me away and have now placed us on restricted visists. we sit at a table on opposite sides and are not allowed to touch or leave the table at the same time. some bullshit like that. I am now terrified to go back to visit becuause I don't know how to correct a problem that does not exisit.

Have you visisted since your incident?

redtara
12-17-2011, 12:00 PM
There's an excellent thread on here "Everything you need to know about Canadian Prison". They have the ion scanners which can pick up minute amounts of drug particles. Money often has lots of drug residue on it. Basically take a good shower, clean clothes, some disenfectant hand sanitizer, clean hair and clean shoes etc before you go for a visit. Too bad, that's harsh. My first visit, which would take me a good half day to get there, I will go with low expectations.

gurlsetzfire
12-17-2011, 04:02 PM
I've been back to visit a few times. Basically when I went back after the incident they asked me if I had ever had any problems visiting in the past. I told them the last time I was there that the dog sat down. I also told them I asked to be searched but was refused. They thanked me for being honest and had the dog search me again before the visit. It was fine, no problems. I have been searched by the dog every time I've gone back and haven't had any problems. I attended the christmas social last weekend and we were searched twice by the dog. Again, no issues. Still don't know what happened when the dog sat down and cant explain why it did. All I know is I am super careful, wash all my change and put it in a ziplock bag. All my clothes are freshly washed and I have a pair of shoes I only wear to my visits then they stay in the trunk of my car.

Sammy's Girl
12-17-2011, 07:04 PM
I am glad that you have not experienced any problems with the dog since the first visit!

sandry
12-17-2011, 08:12 PM
I am paranoid that I will set something off as I have never even touched a drug. After driving over 5 hrs, I don't want anything to affect my visit and I could pick up a bit of something on my shoe in a washroom or a store on the way down. So I'm super careful too. I carry a spray bottle of alcohol with me and spray my hands, shoes zippers etc before going in. I also soak my coins in alcohol and wipe down my ID as well. So far have not had a problem. Good luck and follow the advice on here as most have some good suggestions.

D677
12-18-2011, 03:30 AM
Hi everyone,

Here is an interesting read --Accuracy of Police Dog Sniffers Called Into Question that someone posted in the Australian/NZ Prison forum:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-12/accuracy-of-police-sniffer-dogs-called-into-question/3726228

D677

Rick's Girl Ont
12-21-2011, 08:55 AM
Wow! After hearing all this has me a bit on edge. I'm am planning to go visit my guy once everything is approved but it almost seems as though we have to live in a bubble in order to get a visit. lol. I will definitely be buying new shoes and wiping everything down with rubbing alcohol just before I go in there. That's the problem, even though you are not guilty of anything, just by walking in a public place you could end up with a certain scent on you that the dog doesn't like. If I'm going to drive 7 or 8 hours, I will take extra precaution. I'm thinking of buying new shoes and putting my freshly washed clothes in one of the vaccum storage bags. Wearing gloves and washing my hands before I go in. I'm wondering if things like shampoo/conditioner or hair products will set off the scanner? I know others mentioned perfume is a no no but I'm hoping hair product like to prevent frizz will be okay. I don't use hairspray at all.

kaps
12-21-2011, 12:57 PM
hello everyone...i just had my first contact visit at joyceville 2 weekends ago...i went 2 days in a row...honesty i was nervous because of everything i heard on this site as well...but i knew nothing was gettin in between and my love...i also drove 9 hours,so i know how u feel...i washe everything in alcohol,clothes washes,id washed,shoes wiped down as well...before i left the hotel room i put on my latex gloves and when i get in the car i wipe the steering whell and belt with alcohol as well...i take my gloves off before i walk into the prison...my change was in a ziploc bag as well as my ID...the dog wasnt even interested in me...the gueards were nice and helpful..the visit was great ,we ate out of the vending machine and watched a movie..we held hands and were never bothered by the guards...as long as ur respectful (but know ur rights) evrything should go smoothly and as planned...make sure u follow ur procedure and dont miss a step!!! enjoy ur visits!!! PM if u need any advice id love to help.

Kaps

D677
12-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Wow! After hearing all this has me a bit on edge. I'm am planning to go visit my guy once everything is approved but it almost seems as though we have to live in a bubble in order to get a visit. lol. I will definitely be buying new shoes and wiping everything down with rubbing alcohol just before I go in there. That's the problem, even though you are not guilty of anything, just by walking in a public place you could end up with a certain scent on you that the dog doesn't like. If I'm going to drive 7 or 8 hours, I will take extra precaution. I'm thinking of buying new shoes and putting my freshly washed clothes in one of the vaccum storage bags. Wearing gloves and washing my hands before I go in. I'm wondering if things like shampoo/conditioner or hair products will set off the scanner? I know others mentioned perfume is a no no but I'm hoping hair product like to prevent frizz will be okay. I don't use hairspray at all.

Hi Rick's Girl

I read somewhere where they advise people not to fill up their vehicles with gasoline prior to visiting someone in prison as there could be some traces of drugs on the nozzle handle. If you have to fill up your car, do it the night before the visit. They also mentioned to have a shower before visiting as well.

I recall someone mentioning that traces of drugs could be transferred to your clothing from a chair. So beware of chairs as well in the prison waiting area. Probably best to stand up.

D677

sandry
12-22-2011, 06:03 AM
We went to visit and my oldest son had had a smoke the day before. I could smell it on him in the van. I was worried that residue might remain on the seat, wheel etc. He changed clothes and sprayed shoes and all was fine with the dog. With the ion test, we all had to test different stuff- me, my glasses, son-ID, DIL- her zipper. All was fine. Take care and have a great visit.

ayla65
12-22-2011, 06:20 AM
I know from personal experience that 100% of the time the dogs have been wrong. It's very frustrating!

gurlsetzfire
12-22-2011, 11:00 AM
It's true. There have been a lot of studies about the level of inaccuracy of the dogs but like the guards say, if the dog senses something, visit denied, end of story. Not only that but the incident will follow the inmate though out their sentence. I read a parole report and the inmate had a visitor 4 years prior who was turned away for a positive indication by a dog and it was mentioned in the parole report years later. Just be cautious, do not sit down in the chairs while waiting to enter and be screened. Don't handle money. Don't fill up your car the day of your visit. Basically, I suggest to go straight to your visit. Less stops means less chance of contamination. I wash everything, including the duffle bag I use to pack my clothes. My car interior is cleaned and if I'm bringing anyone with me, then they have to follow my routine because I'm not risking losing a visit because someone I'm with has a false positive. And for sure, be cautious of who you bring with you. Favors with respect to rides are appreciated but be cautious.

D677
12-22-2011, 12:14 PM
We went to visit and my oldest son had had a smoke the day before. I could smell it on him in the van. I was worried that residue might remain on the seat, wheel etc. He changed clothes and sprayed shoes and all was fine with the dog. With the ion test, we all had to test different stuff- me, my glasses, son-ID, DIL- her zipper. All was fine. Take care and have a great visit.

Hi Sandy,

What did your son spray his shoes with, just plain water?

Wow, they even test zippers? They are thorough it would appear.

Thanks

D677

D677
12-22-2011, 12:39 PM
It's true. There have been a lot of studies about the level of inaccuracy of the dogs but like the guards say, if the dog senses something, visit denied, end of story. Not only that but the incident will follow the inmate though out their sentence. I read a parole report and the inmate had a visitor 4 years prior who was turned away for a positive indication by a dog and it was mentioned in the parole report years later. Just be cautious, do not sit down in the chairs while waiting to enter and be screened. Don't handle money. Don't fill up your car the day of your visit. Basically, I suggest to go straight to your visit. Less stops means less chance of contamination. I wash everything, including the duffle bag I use to pack my clothes. My car interior is cleaned and if I'm bringing anyone with me, then they have to follow my routine because I'm not risking losing a visit because someone I'm with has a false positive. And for sure, be cautious of who you bring with you. Favors with respect to rides are appreciated but be cautious.

Hi gurlset:

Thanks for the tips. I knew about not filling up the car with gasoline the day of prison visitations and not sitting on chairs while waiting to enter - yeah, the handling of money, wow, glad you pointed that one out.

I plan to visit my man in an Australian prison and am worried about how many things I could could come into contact with on airplanes for example. Imagine all the nasties I could come into contact with when having travelled some 8000 miles from Canada. Apparently, airplanes are the one of filthiest places to be in.

Did you see the link I posted on a report from ABC News in Australia regarding Accuracy of Police Dog Sniffers Called Into Question? I will post here for you incase you missed it..

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-12/accuracy-of-police-sniffer-dogs-called-into-question/3726228

I am shocked that an incident of drug detection on someone visiting a prisoner affects the prisoner's record. That is unfair.

Thanks again for enlightening us.

D677

gurlsetzfire
12-22-2011, 01:30 PM
Hey D677. My suggestion to you would be to find a laundry mat once you arrive and rewash whatever you will be wearing for your visits. Also, I always bring a pair of shoes that I wear for my visit only and wipe those down with a cloth and soapy water. Thanks for the link, I'll have to check it out for sure. Hope you have a safe trip and a great visit.