View Full Version : Eliminate NC Mandatory Minimum Sentencing-Senate Bill 589

ministerjosey
07-17-2011, 01:01 PM
The State of North Carolina under Structured Sentencing has laws requiring inmates to serve at least a mandatory minimum of their sentence. This law in addition to the fact that there is no parole in NC keeps inmates incarcerated no matter how much progress they have made or rehabilitation they have diligently worked toward.

I suggest that the Senate Bill 589, which was initiated in 2009, be brought back to the Senate and that the law requiring mandatory sentencing be changed. Please sign this petition if you agree with Senate Bill 589 and the elimination of mandatory minimums in the state of NC.

I have initiated a online petition called Eliminate NC Mandatory Sentencing and need your help getting signatures. If we can get about 5,000 signatures I will send this petition to the NC Senators to see if we can get this bill reintroduced and get the laws changed. You can find the petition at iPetitions.

ministerjosey
07-20-2011, 05:40 AM
What is the real purpose of prison?
Jul 20. 2011

Sometimes I wonder what the real purpose of prison is... is it to adjust behavior, reform the offender, rehabilitate those who have broken the laws of the land? Is prison supposed to help them see the error of their ways? Protect the rest of society from those who will offend again? What is the real goal?

I believe that the offender is definitely supposed to suffer the consequences of their actions. I agree with the principle of reaping what you have sewn. However when you see that an inmate has changed, has grown, has matured, has rehabed...what is the benefit of them continuing to sit in an environment that is violent at best.

Does continuing to strip them of all dignity accomplish the intended goal....oh yeah and what was the goal?

Who evaluates whether an inmate has sufficiently rehabilitated? How do they make that determination? If they do see significant change in their behavior and thought processes do they change the plan of action?

I have been taught some fundamental, key factors of goal setting and action planning is to:

1) Set realistic obtainable goals
This gives me the impression that the goals need to be reacheable. If they are reacheable then when they are reached the plan should be changed.

2) Set goals that are measureable
There should be a way to establish a baseline and follow progress.

3) Evaluate the goals
There must be a consistent way to evaluate whether the goal has been reached, is out of reach, or has been completed.

4) Establish new goals
Once a goal has been reached...it is complete! Why linger over a completely accomplished goal?

Now it is time to set a new goal...to progress to the next level...to move on...right?

So how does imposing mandatory minimums follow this pattern of action planning? If the goal has been accomplished then move on...get that inmate back into society. Get them employed and paying taxes (not using up valuable tax dollars). These dollars could be spent on post-release follow up which would be less expensive than continuing to house them.

Reunite them with family and friends; this speaks volumes to giving inmates hope, ambition, and a purpose. Emotional health and stability can be a motivating factor in avoiding re-offence.

Is continuing to sit in prison enhancing emotional health or destroying it? Does it reinforce the anger and negative behavior?

Once an offender has gone through the steps to improve their life outside, has re-evaluated their behavior and thought processes, has acknowledged their need to permanantly change their methods and modes of operation, and has proven to be ready to get on with being productive members of society....please tell me how keeping them locked up does anyone any good.

What point are we really making and what are we really accomplishing in imposing mandatory minimums when offenders have changed and are ready to reintegrate?

Please go to iPetitions and sign the petition to Elminate Madatory Minimums In NC.:help:

MJwife
07-24-2011, 09:49 PM
I went to ipetitions but had trouble finding the correct petition. Can you post a link, even if you have to write it out? Thanks!

worriednnc
07-25-2011, 09:25 AM
I started a similar petition but maybe if we jump on the wagon together it can work. I just signed the petition.

http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/eliminate_mandatory_minimum_sentencing/

ministerjosey
07-25-2011, 06:56 PM
Where is yor petition so can sign it?

ministerjosey
07-25-2011, 07:56 PM
Eliminating Mandatory Minimums In NC
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/eliminate_mandatory_minimum_sentencing/

MJwife
07-28-2011, 03:08 PM
I signed it... thanks.

faithwalk12
08-06-2011, 07:08 PM
is this for state only or is it for federal as well? Will sign regardless.

djsmom
08-09-2011, 09:28 AM
i am about to go sign the petition but wanted to respond here first. josey, i see you are in phila, my son spend much time there, loves his phillies and eagles!! and now is incarcerated here in north carolina. with a ridiculously long sentence for a ridiculous crime. my son insisted on going to trial..got 30 months with five years probation compared to his co-defendants 90 days.his lawyer appealed and my son ended up with 46 months minimum. yes it went up. they did pass something which changed their stupid llittle mandatory chart sentence brackets, but not by much. and, it was not retro active so it did not affect my son and his sentence. mandatory was supposed to prevent crime, but it did the opposite in my opinion. with no parole and usually no probation, when they get out of prison they are free with no one checking on them in any way. put that with the ones who have no family support, no job, no money and what do u get? a re-offender. i dont understand why these people who sign these laws, make these laws are not seeing that.

ssscorpio
08-09-2011, 10:02 PM
Real or not? I signed it!!!!

ministerjosey
08-11-2011, 11:05 AM
It is real. You can access the Bill and research it on-line by going to Bill 589 or clicking on the link on the petition website. It is very real!:)

ministerjosey
08-11-2011, 11:07 AM
It will be submitted to the State of North Carolina but anyone can sign it. Thanks for your support!

tgregbyrd
08-23-2011, 08:17 PM
The State of North Carolina under Structured Sentencing has laws requiring inmates to serve at least a mandatory minimum of their sentence. This law in addition to the fact that there is no parole in NC keeps inmates incarcerated no matter how much progress they have made or rehabilitation they have diligently worked toward.

I suggest that the Senate Bill 589, which was initiated in 2009, be brought back to the Senate and that the law requiring mandatory sentencing be changed. Please sign this petition if you agree with Senate Bill 589 and the elimination of mandatory minimums in the state of NC.

I have initiated a online petition called Eliminate NC Mandatory Sentencing and need your help getting signatures. If we can get about 5,000 signatures I will send this petition to the NC Senators to see if we can get this bill reintroduced and get the laws changed. You can find the petition at iPetitions.

Where do i sign the petition. I want my name added so this bill can be re introduced.

ministerjosey
08-24-2011, 07:51 PM
Where do i sign the petition. I want my name added so this bill can be re introduced.

Thank you for your support. You can find the petition here:
Eliminating Mandatory Minimums In NC
http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/e...um_sentencing/ (http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/eliminate_mandatory_minimum_sentencing/)

see-oh
08-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Actually, North Carolina does have Parole. Its called the MAPP program. The inmate signs a contract that lays out what he has to do, and in return, the State of North Carolina offers him an early release under supervised Parole. Basically, instead of being locked up, he'll be under the supervision of a Probation and Parole Officer until his prison term has ended.

ministerjosey
08-26-2011, 12:53 PM
Actually, North Carolina does have Parole. Its called the MAPP program. The inmate signs a contract that lays out what he has to do, and in return, the State of North Carolina offers him an early release under supervised Parole. Basically, instead of being locked up, he'll be under the supervision of a Probation and Parole Officer until his prison term has ended.

Is it available to those sentenced under structured sentencing? Is it available b4 the minimum has been served?

ministerjosey
08-26-2011, 01:10 PM

Actually I just looked it up and the MAPP program only applies to inmates sentanced b4 structured sentencing.

ministerjosey
08-29-2011, 07:57 PM

North Carolina Post-Release Supervision and
Parole Commission
http://www.doc.state.nc.us/parole/index.htm (http://www.doc.state.nc.us/parole/index.htm)
and
http://www.doc.state.nc.us/parole/process.htm (http://www.doc.state.nc.us/parole/process.htm)

MJwife
08-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Parole, or MAPPS is only available to those sentenced before 1996, I believe.

daytonagirl
08-29-2011, 08:59 PM
I signed it....good luck

ministerjosey
08-30-2011, 08:11 AM
Parole, or MAPPS is only available to those sentenced before 1996, I believe.

Actually it's before 1994. Anyone sentenced after 1994 was sentenced under structured sentencing and is subject to mandatory minimums. When they get down to the last 18 months of their sentence and are in the minimum custody level they can get outside jobs and get home passes but still remain in the custody of the NCDOC until they have completed at least their minimum sentence.

This is a direct quote from the :

Post-Release Supervision and Parole Commission The Parole Process

"Parole, as it previously existed, was eliminated under the Structured Sentencing Act for crimes committed on or after October 1, 1994. The Structured Sentencing Act mandates that the offender serve at least 100% of the minimum sentence and 85% of the maximum sentence. Once offenders with felony B1-E class convictions have served their required time, they are released on post-release supervision. Offenders with felony F-I class convictions are released from the prison system with no community supervision. The Parole Commission has no decision making power as to the offender's time of release under Structured Sentencing, however it sets conditions for the period of post-release supervision."

Andreah
01-23-2012, 04:48 AM
I signed it.. how many signatures do u have?

blueeyedguy76
02-23-2012, 02:32 PM
I went and signed and had several other friends of ours do so as well. Can you tell me what the count is that we are at now with signatures and what the next steps will be??

ministerjosey
02-24-2012, 06:31 AM
There are only 70 signatures. I was hoping to get about 1,000 before sending the petition to NC's governor and legislators. We are a long way away from that goal. Any suggestions on how to get there?

blueeyedguy76
02-24-2012, 09:48 AM
i sent the link via text to all our family and friends to sign. If we get the word out it might help as well......this structured sentencing makes me furious, bc my other half is being sentenced on his past crimes and had to plead to avoid a longer sentence. Even though all his current charges were dropped......NC LAW STINKS!!! No wonder the state is broke! Not to mention when they transferred him he went from Craven for processing, then they drove him to Greensboro...then back to Carteret. Couldnt they have saved that gas money since he was on the coast anyways......They got to get some of this cost control in order!

lgonzin
03-28-2012, 05:41 PM
19 years and my baby son will get to come home...he has jailhouse religion so they call it but no way can he go below his minimum regardless. Where is the incentive? I am sure if I feel this way they feel worse....

lgonzin
03-28-2012, 06:17 PM

are u still working on this let me know if so i will print out copies and take them to visitation with me and every where i go...i dont care who knows....i will fight with you!!! my son has 19 yrs to go...thank you

pcrayfield2
05-08-2013, 12:54 PM
I would love to sign the petition. Just tell me how to do it. I think NC has some of the most ridiulous law in the U.S. No wonder the state is broke. Pretty soon the prisons will be full and then what are they going to do?

randallslove
05-08-2013, 04:08 PM
I signed the petition we are at 213 signatures.

05-08-2013, 06:56 PM
This is quite an old post - the current SB 589 is The School Safety Act
http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2013&BillID=S589
it was filed on 4-02-2013, passed its first reading on 4-03-2013; and is now in committee: Ref to Education/Higher Education. If fav, re-ref to Appropriations/Base Budget.