View Full Version : Fort Des Moines Halfway House

sandispoetry
07-05-2011, 10:44 AM
My son just let me know yesterday that he is getting paroled to the halfway house in Fort Des Moines. He is currently incarcerated in Newton, IA. I have a couple questions:

1. Once the Parole Board makes this decision, is there a possibility to get them to reverse it and give him street release. i.e. write letters, call, etc.? His girlfriend had a baby and is having huge financial and emotional difficulties. I, his mother, and some family members wrote letters to his counselor (I now realize they should have been sent to Parole Board) but to no avail they still are sending him there.

2. Does anyone know exactly how this works? How long before he can have visits? Can he call? Can he have a cell phone? Are the visits at the facility only? On average, how long are they there for (I know this is based on his behavior) but just interested to know assuming he does all that is required and cooperates?

Any information will be helpful.
Thank You

SimplyMe123
07-05-2011, 04:58 PM
Hi sandispoetry... Welcome to PTO and the Iowa forum! :) I'm glad you joined us. I'm sorry, I don't have answers to your questions. I don't have any experience with the parole board or halfway houses. Hang in there, I'm sure someone who knows more will be along soon. Take care!

BillysButterfly
07-05-2011, 08:42 PM
Ok my husband was in a halfway house last time he got out. He was in Ames but I think most of them are the same type of procedure. I was able to visit right away and he will get furloughs to go to get groceries etc. He will also have to get a job and once he has that he will be able to work his way up to furloughs to come home for a few hours up to a weekend at a time. He will be able to call but not sure about the cell phone...my husband had a phone but that doesn't mean he will be able to. I don't know a lot about fort Des moines but that is what I know things were like in Ames. Hope this helps!

sandispoetry
07-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Thank you for the welcome SimplyMe

And thank you for the reply BillysButterfly it did help.

I sure wish I had found this place about 2 years ago when all of this started, it would have been so nice to have all the support. All the information I have found on here has been pretty accurate on how things go in this process.

JaydedDragon
07-11-2011, 12:03 AM
Ok my husband was in a halfway house last time he got out. He was in Ames but I think most of them are the same type of procedure. I was able to visit right away and he will get furloughs to go to get groceries etc. He will also have to get a job and once he has that he will be able to work his way up to furloughs to come home for a few hours up to a weekend at a time. He will be able to call but not sure about the cell phone...my husband had a phone but that doesn't mean he will be able to. I don't know a lot about fort Des moines but that is what I know things were like in Ames. Hope this helps!

Hi Billysbutterfly....

I sent you a PM...saw this and instantly had a question....Thanks and I hope his homecoming went better than you expected. :) ;) :D

faith2bstrong
07-21-2011, 06:22 AM
He can have a cell but not inside the facility.. most of the guys take them in tho and phone calls ate a quarter from the pay phone

BillysButterfly
07-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Hi Billysbutterfly....

I sent you a PM...saw this and instantly had a question....Thanks and I hope his homecoming went better than you expected. :) ;) :D

The homecoming went awesome!! It is great to have him home with me and be able to wake up to him every morning!! :D :D :D