View Full Version : What is an ION scan?

MSMama
07-05-2011, 08:11 AM
Ok maybe it's a silly question but my husband ss on July 11. I hear about ION scans, what is that? Do all prisons have this?

cubmom
07-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Is that the machine shaped like a chair..where they can scan a person's rectum for shanks ? There is also a flat piece at the top where the prisoner places his cheeks to check for metal.

fbopnomore
07-05-2011, 12:06 PM
I think the ion scan is the machine used to screen visitors before they are allowed into the visiting room. I remember that the bop stopped using them because they were so unreliable, but not surprisingly brought them back anyway. It sniffs your hands and clothes for drugs, but also alerts on legal stuff, like wearing perfume. This other thread explains some of the problems people have experienced from the ion scanners at federal prisons. I don't know if all prisons have them.

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549262&page=2

Zelda50
07-05-2011, 01:07 PM
It is a machine, much like used in airports to check baggage for explosive residue. It has a filter that scans the clothing or skin for drug and explosive residue. The facility can decide and set the machine as to which controlled substances to test for. There are false positives and anyone who receives a positive result can ask for a confirmatory test - and they are supposed to do a "clear test" inbetween the first test and the second one. There were tons of false positives and then the manufacturer finally admitted that their software was faulty - they were taken off line for over a year and then brought back. There are still legitimate substances which cause false positives. The designer of the technology has always maintained that it is only to be used for further investigation but of course the BOP doesn't use it that way - they use it to turn away visitors who test positive. Also - the BOP says it is accurate due to research by the manufacturer (who can't seem to cough up the research) and the manufacturer says it is accurate due to research by the government (who can't seem to cough up their research either). A big bunch of baloney, if you ask me.

That said, ionscans are not used at the camps. It's up to each facility when they want to use it. Some use it all the time and some use it intermittently.

MSMama
07-05-2011, 04:16 PM
Oh lord. I work in an emergency room on the night shift. There will be times I'll be heading straight from work to see my hubby. I could just see them kicking me out because I have trace residue of crap on my scrubs. Maybe I'll shower & change before visits just in case there's one at FPC Pensacola.

Kayla28
07-05-2011, 04:48 PM
The ION Scan is a medal wand with a circle on the top about the size of a quarter. There is a pad that is placed on the circle and then they proceed to rub your clothing and shoes (shoulders, armpit area, elbows, pants pockets, and tops of shoes for woman and for men they do the entire front and back of your shirt, your pants pockets, and shoes-this has been everytime on me and othes). They then remove the pad and place the pad in a machine which can detect any drug. Before you go to a visit, here is what I did, I took a warm damp wash cloth and wiped my entire body and outfit, and my ENTIRE shoes (they have been all over!) and I didn't use any hair spray, deodorant, perfume, light makeup, no lotions, nothing! If you fail the first time, they are supposed to switch gloves (or officer if requested), wipe down their entire front desk and station with a new pad and then test that, if that comes negative, they are then supposed to reswitch gloves and then they are supposed to reswipe you. You can always ask to wipe your clothes off. They can't deny you that. You are supposed to be allowed a urine analysis, but they never give it to you. They never tell you what you test for, and they are assholes if you fight them. This is a copy of what is supposed to be done:
Ionscan Operating Procedures

Annex A - GL 566-8-2

Issued under the authority of the Acting Assistant Commissioner, Correctional Operations and Programs
PDF (http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/plcy/doc/566-8-2gl-annex-A_e.pdf)

Policy Bulletin 182 (http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/text/plcy/cdshtm/b182-566-8-1-566-8-2-eng.shtml)
Procedure 1 - Getting Started
1. Ensure that the Drierite is blue at least 2 inches from the bottom.
2. Turn the OFF/ON/CHARGE switch to the ON position. The lights on the front of the DM will flash on momentarily, and the yellow STANDBY light will begin to flash.
3. Press the READY/STANDBY key. The green READY light will begin to flash.
4. Allow approximately hour for the IONSCAN to warm up. The green READY light will be constantly lit. Conduct flow calibration as per section 5.3 of the Operator's Manual.
5. Perform a verification by following IONSCAN OPERATING PROCEDURE 2.
Procedure 2 - Verification
Verification is the procedure of ensuring that the IONSCAN is correctly detecting programmed target substance.
See section 5 in the Operator's Manual, pages 38 to 40 for a full description.
1. Wait until the IONSCAN is warmed up (30 minutes).
2. Deposit a tiny amount of verification stick on a clean filter or swipe.
3. Analyze the sample and record DELTA.
4. If DELTA exceeds 35, or if cocaine does not alarm, contact:
Smith Detection (Paul Kennedy) at (905) 238-8837, extension 107 or, via fax at (905) 238-3018.
Smith Detection's address is 1730 Aimco Boulevard, Mississauga, Ontario, L4W 1V1.
Procedure 3 - Running a Vacuum Sample
1. Always use clean sample cards, filters and brushes. Check new brushes to ensure that they are clean.
2. Insert a sample cartridge into the sampler, and collect the sample.
3. Remove card, keeping the sample side up, and place it on the IONSCAN sample tray.
4. Slide the sample tray to the RIGHT to start analysis.
5. After 5 seconds, the green or red indicator will light (PASS or FAIL), and the results will be displayed on the LCD.
6. If an alarm was activated, go to IONSCAN OPERATING PROCEDURE 6.
Procedure 4 - Getting Ready - Sample Swipes
1. Verify that the operators' hands are not contaminated by having them rub a swipe between their hands.
2. Insert the swipe in the swipe tray, with the swipe hole centered over the hole in the tray.
3. Close the tray.
4. Slide the tray to the RIGHT to start analysis.
5. After 5 seconds, the green or red indicator will light (PASS or FAIL), and the results will be displayed on the LCD.
6. Slide the tray to the LEFT to remove it from the heat.
7. If an alarm was activated, wash hands with alcohol, and repeat this procedure until no alarm occurs.
Procedure 5 - Running a Sample Swipe
1. Rub the swipe on suspect documents, suitcases, or other items concentrating force on the middle finger.
2. Insert the swipe in the swipe tray, with the swipe hole centered over the hole in the tray.
3. Close the tray.
4. Slide the tray to the RIGHT to start analysis.
6. Slide the tray to the LEFT to remove it from the heat.
7. If an alarm was activated, go to IONSCAN OPERATING PROCEDURE 6.
Procedure 6 - After an Alarm
1. Press ALARM RESET to deactivate the audio alarm.
2. Analyze a clean filter or swipe to ensure that the system is clean. If an alarm results, give the system some time to clean out, and repeat until no alarm occurs.
3. Replace the brush on the sampler, and test the new brush to ensure that it is clean. It may also be necessary to replace the nozzle.

I am trying to find where I read the policy and I will upload it here! GOODLUCK

Kayla28
07-05-2011, 04:50 PM
Also, I don't believe FPC's have the ION Scan.! Here is a link to where you are going's visitation regulations and I don't see that they do the ION Scan! http://www.bop.gov/locations/institutions/pen/PEN_visit_hours.pdf

Zelda50
07-06-2011, 07:32 PM
Camps don't use the ionscan. And they are NOT supposed to provide a urine test. In fact, the BOP policy specifically states that no further searches will be done.

And the policy bulletin that you posted is a California prison policy, NOT a BOP policy, so would not apply but may be a good description of how they operate the machines.

There is a "sticky" at the top of the Visition section on the Ionscan which gives links to the BOP policy.