View Full Version : Cheapest Way for jail calls!!!!!!!

fabulouso1ne
06-19-2011, 09:07 PM
So I can't do this on account of my hubby is in Kingston Pen and there are no local numbers yet through Magic Jack.... If you get a magic jack and get a local number to the jail your man or woman is in (States too) You can call forward your magic Jack number to your house phone, put money on their card (In my case it's 80 cents a call, we look at $50 a month) Magic jack costs $20 a year. So, if i could get a local kingston number, it'd cost me $50 a month. But i cant so my other alternative is getting a prepaid cell phone with a kingston number and with unlimited incomming call and call forward the cell to my home phone, so i'm looking at about $90 a month to talk to my hubby 2x a day. :) Hope this helps! My bill last month before thinking these ideas up was $800 every 2 weeks. Im lovin $90 a month.

sjai
07-07-2011, 12:34 AM
vonage is $40 a month
& talkit.ca is $60 a year

you get a local # so they dont get charged long distance, cheaper that way for both of you.

Ralphie
07-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Do any of you know whether there is an issue with call forwarding in the federal system? I have read some posts where inmates' phone privileges were withheld because the prison staff caught wind of the fact that calls were being forwarded to a cell phone from an approved landline number (not sure how they would know this); however, these were posts from the States. I hate missing calls when I'm not home but I don't want to do anything that would jeopardize my loved one's phone privileges. Thanks!!

lizzy2u
07-07-2011, 07:49 PM
Do any of you know whether there is an issue with call forwarding in the federal system? I have read some posts where inmates' phone privileges were withheld because the prison staff caught wind of the fact that calls were being forwarded to a cell phone from an approved landline number (not sure how they would know this); however, these were posts from the States. I hate missing calls when I'm not home but I don't want to do anything that would jeopardize my loved one's phone privileges. Thanks!!

Um, I forward my phone all the time. Perhaps I shouldn't? I'm a busy beaver, two kids and my weekends are filled with grocery shopping and never-ending-errands. It helps to know I'm not missing my phone time. I wonder if it's just American? Also, does it matter if they are in minimum?

Soulyrical
07-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Feds are allowed to call cell phones. We use a local number that is attached to my phone services on my cell. If you private message me & want more info I can tell you about it. We only pay 7.95 a month for the local number. Before having the local our calls were like $5 a call, now they are about 90cents a call. 7.95 + $27(300minutes) is all we pay to talk now.

Ralphie
07-07-2011, 08:17 PM
Um, I forward my phone all the time. Perhaps I shouldn't? I'm a busy beaver, two kids and my weekends are filled with grocery shopping and never-ending-errands. It helps to know I'm not missing my phone time. I wonder if it's just American? Also, does it matter if they are in minimum?

I know what you mean!!! I hate missing calls and I don't want to feel like I have to be tied to my home phone because I have so many things that I need to get done on a daily basis. My fiance told me that he submitted my cell phone number along with my landline for approval (he's at MAU right now) but I didn't think they would approve calls to cell phones. Also, right now he is stuck making collect calls as he hasn't been able to add money to his phone card and I know for certain that you can't receive collect calls on a cell phone (unless the call is being forwarded from a landline of course). I wish everything didn't have to be so complicated!!!

Ralphie
07-07-2011, 08:23 PM
Feds are allowed to call cell phones. We use a local number that is attached to my phone services on my cell. If you private message me & want more info I can tell you about it. We only pay 7.95 a month for the local number. Before having the local our calls were like $5 a call, now they are about 90cents a call. 7.95 + $27(300minutes) is all we pay to talk now.

Looks like we were posting at the same time...you must have read my mind!! I'll send you a PM at some point tomorrow. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!!

ayla65
08-04-2011, 10:42 AM
So I can't do this on account of my hubby is in Kingston Pen and there are no local numbers yet through Magic Jack.... If you get a magic jack and get a local number to the jail your man or woman is in (States too) You can call forward your magic Jack number to your house phone, put money on their card (In my case it's 80 cents a call, we look at $50 a month) Magic jack costs $20 a year. So, if i could get a local kingston number, it'd cost me $50 a month. But i cant so my other alternative is getting a prepaid cell phone with a kingston number and with unlimited incomming call and call forward the cell to my home phone, so i'm looking at about $90 a month to talk to my hubby 2x a day. :) Hope this helps! My bill last month before thinking these ideas up was $800 every 2 weeks. Im lovin $90 a month.

I would be interested to learn more about this "my other alternative is getting a prepaid cell phone with a kingston number and with unlimited incomming call and call forward the cell to my home phone, so i'm looking at about $90 a month to talk to my hubby 2x a day".

I had thought about getting a prepaid cell with the number local for him. Except then the roaming charges for me would be a lot since I'm in another province.

Are you in a similar situation and when you said it would cost you about $90 a mth did that include roaming?

Thanks

angelkisses660
08-06-2011, 12:59 PM

How does that work for them to call? if I get a cell number with a local number to the jail he is in and give him the number, dont they have to dial collect to get a call out in jail?

fabulouso1ne
08-07-2011, 06:55 AM
I live in another province as well, but i don't think there would be any roaming charges, actually we havn't done this yet as my phone is still active and i dont plan on paying it, lol. but if this doesn't work than it looks like im sticking with paying out the arse for him calling me, cause we talk a lot... he prefers everytime hes out... and thats 5-6 times a day. But if your man isn't in kingston and can get a magic jack number local to another prison he is in... you're all set to go.

fabulouso1ne
08-07-2011, 06:57 AM
How does that work for them to call? if I get a cell number with a local number to the jail he is in and give him the number, dont they have to dial collect to get a call out in jail?

You have to put money on their card if they have a calling card... if they can just dial any number direct... buy them the calling card so they don't have to dial collect cause than it wont work.

angelkisses660
08-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Mine is in penetang his mom said he cant have calling cards or call local well she said it cost money to connect then per min after idk how it works , all I have is a cell and really want to talk to him I have once at his parenets place and once when we went to visit but thats it .

fabulouso1ne
08-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Mine is in penetang his mom said he cant have calling cards or call local well she said it cost money to connect then per min after idk how it works , all I have is a cell and really want to talk to him I have once at his parenets place and once when we went to visit but thats it .

That's strange... it should be 60 cents a call for local? they really dont have a phone card system? i hate them but meh

angelkisses660
08-08-2011, 08:26 AM
I don't really know anything about how the calls work I'm going to call and ask, he's only been in alttle over a month so I don't really know to much about it all I know is I cant afford a huge long distance bill with 3 kids at home to look after thank god stamps are cheap lol

ayla65
08-08-2011, 09:38 AM
All federal, not sure about provincial, can make calls to home and/or cell phones, as long as the number provided is verifiable as belonging to you.

If they have money on their cards then they pay for the calls. If no money on their card then they can call collect but the only phone service that will accept collect calls is Bell.

The alternatives have been mentioned in previous threads, such as Vonage etc. You can get a second line with a number that is local to them to avoid them having long distance charges. Unfortunately, the phone service used by the institution my guy is in is through Telebec/Telus and there is a "block" at the institution on getting a local number. So, we can't seem to get around him paying long distance charges when he calls :mad:

I was just interested in the option of the prepaid cell phone, but was concerned about the roaming charges, if any. I know when I was in another province for work the calls for him were still local, but the money I had to spend to keep money on the phone went up substantially. Just wondered if anyone knew if there is a way around that dilemma.

angelkisses660
08-08-2011, 09:46 AM
I have a pre paid cell phone with telus, I was just wondering if I could get a unlimted incoming call plan on the cell phone and then get a local number to penetang and then he can call me it would be a local call but he said even for local he has to pay so much a min, I dont know how it works, I dont see how they have to pay per min if its local. What jail is yours in?

ayla65
08-08-2011, 10:06 AM
I have a pre paid cell phone with telus, I was just wondering if I could get a unlimted incoming call plan on the cell phone and then get a local number to penetang and then he can call me it would be a local call but he said even for local he has to pay so much a min, I dont know how it works, I dont see how they have to pay per min if its local. What jail is yours in?

I don't know if your question was for me, but I have an answer to your question. Even when they call local they still do have to pay a per minute charge. Usually around .80 a call, that could vary I guess depending on the province. I know when mine was in the same city that's what he paid. I guess if you look at it from the perspective of having a land line, you may not pay for local calls, but you do pay to have the line, service charges etc. and for them it is basically the same thing.

Right now my guy pays a lot more for long distance, almost $6 for a 30 min call. Mine is now in Port Cartier and there is no way to get a phone service with a local call for him.

angelkisses660
08-08-2011, 10:12 AM
my question was to anyone really lol I dont know what the phone systems works, so if I had incoming calls free on my cell phone and a local number to his jail i would just have to make sure i had the amount for the charge for the local call? It wont cost any per min? he thought it was like 2.90 to start the call and then 4.99 a min after?

ayla65
08-08-2011, 11:16 AM
my question was to anyone really lol I dont know what the phone systems works, so if I had incoming calls free on my cell phone and a local number to his jail i would just have to make sure i had the amount for the charge for the local call? It wont cost any per min? he thought it was like 2.90 to start the call and then 4.99 a min after?

Whatever plan you go with for your phone, incoming calls free etc, is up to you. You would cover that cost. Then, each time he called you he would pay whatever the cost is at his end, usually .80 per call. That would come off his phone card. Once a month guys put money on their card and the cost for any of the calls they make is then deducted from their card.
It sounds as if what he has said, as far as cost to him, would be long distance charges. Like I was saying, right now for my guy to call me it costs him about $6 a call.

angelkisses660
08-08-2011, 02:30 PM
I just called the jail, he can only call collect and he can't call cell phones collect from his jail :(

ayla65
08-08-2011, 02:40 PM
I just called the jail, he can only call collect and he can't call cell phones collect from his jail :(

Do you mind if I ask what jail he's in. If it's Provincial then I don't have a clue about the rules. From a federal prison they can call cell phones, the problem is cell phones don't accept collect calls. Mine is in a Federal and I have both my home phone and cell phone numbers approved on his calling list. He just calls whichever one directly.

angelkisses660
08-08-2011, 02:51 PM
He's in penetang I'm not sure what type of jail that is, I don't really know anything about it first time having to deal with the jail system, he told me before he couldn't call cell phones but I thought he meant it wouldn't work cause I'm pay as u go so I tried calling my cell collect and it work so when I called them today they said he can only call collect And no cell phones, I don't understand why.

ayla65
08-08-2011, 05:07 PM
He's in penetang I'm not sure what type of jail that is, I don't really know anything about it first time having to deal with the jail system, he told me before he couldn't call cell phones but I thought he meant it wouldn't work cause I'm pay as u go so I tried calling my cell collect and it work so when I called them today they said he can only call collect And no cell phones, I don't understand why.

Penetanguishine is a Provincial jail. I don't know how the Provincial system works at all. Sorry.

angelkisses660
08-08-2011, 05:36 PM
Thanks it looks like lots of letters for me lol

Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk

simple1892
08-09-2011, 05:18 PM
I'm in BC and we signed up for Canada ReLink for calls it was way cheaper than calling collect. Then we had nothing but problems and it would always set off three way calling block and get disconnected. Now that he's been moved, he just pays the 90 cents for a local call off his phoen card to my cell phone and I never pay any charges. It doesn't show up on my caller id, nor my phone bill as incoming calls. I'm not sure how other cell companies work with the calls, but Telus doesn't charge for the incomings on a cell.

angelkisses660
08-09-2011, 05:52 PM
Telus doesn't charge for incoming at all? Or is that your plan with them are you pay as you go? They said he can't call my cell but I didn't know tells had free incoming

angelkisses660
08-09-2011, 05:53 PM
Telus doesn't charge for incoming at all? Or is that your plan with them are you pay as you go? They said he can't call my cell but I didn't know telus had free incoming

simple1892
08-09-2011, 06:22 PM
my incoming is free with my plan so i dont pay for any calls whether they're local or long distance. but i dont think that makes a difference? it says at the beginning of the call you won't get charged, and doesn't even show up on the phone bills as airtime. all my other calls that I get as incoming that are free show up on my airtime but i dont get charged for them.

Saoirse_06
08-10-2011, 10:13 AM
Penetanguishine is a Provincial jail. I don't know how the Provincial system works at all. Sorry.
My son is in Provincial jail and Telus looks after that phone sytem. I called Telus to see if there was any way around the "collect call system" ie my getting a telus cell etc., and they advised that there is no way around it. I am a Bell customer and I call fwd. to his sister's cell, on a weekly basis, but he can not call her directly, as cell will not accept collect calls. Even though a "call me: card does not actually require him to have the card in hand, it won't work either...stuck with the collect call fess, as far as I know. Hope you are successful in finding a way aorund these fees. Maybe we should be writing a letter... Happy Day to you.......

angelkisses660
08-26-2011, 11:18 AM
I'm in BC and we signed up for Canada ReLink for calls it was way cheaper than calling collect. Then we had nothing but problems and it would always set off three way calling block and get disconnected. Now that he's been moved, he just pays the 90 cents for a local call off his phoen card to my cell phone and I never pay any charges. It doesn't show up on my caller id, nor my phone bill as incoming calls. I'm not sure how other cell companies work with the calls, but Telus doesn't charge for the incomings on a cell.

I was thinking of canada relink for my phone, its not a good server? they said it would cost me 129.00 a month for the collect calling from the jail and would get one month free insted of the no connection fee cause they cant tell me when they will get a line to penetang they only have a few they said.

rambowifey
08-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Hi guys, i just got registered but i been browsing through this site for awhile...my hubby in MAU right now and soon get moved out to Kingston Pen. it's been really hard trying to visit him and I'm looking for someone who drives down to the Kingston area from Toronto or Scarborough area that i can travel with and also pay a reasonable fee....also if you have any info on the cheapest way to travel please let me know...thanks:)

gurlsetzfire
09-01-2011, 08:15 AM
Have u looked in to the train? I'm planning on taking it this winter cause an 8 hour drive in the snow isn't really a good idea. The only thing is that Millhaven is in the outskirts, about a 25 min drive from Kingston so not having a vehicle once youre there could get expensive. The John Howard Society has buses that go there to, maybe give them a shout.

takenback
09-07-2011, 03:02 PM
it works from there i called when my man thought they were shipping him out. It works for ANY cell phone.

Alexs wife
09-08-2011, 04:43 PM

Hello please message me and let me know how to do this.
my loved one was sent to prison and i would like to know how
to do this so the calls are cheaper.
Thank you very much