View Full Version : Is there a new Early Release bill??

Newlywed0623
06-16-2011, 04:07 PM
My husband is in Caldwell Correctional, and is insisting there was a bill passed letting thousands of nonviolent inmates out because the prison's are so overcrowded. He keeps asking me to research this, everyone in the prison is talking about it. Does anyone know anything about this??? Please help, just a rumor?? :confused:

laciekay
06-16-2011, 04:15 PM
i've heard that rumor floating around here in indiana as well!

gt2hvegusto
06-16-2011, 06:09 PM
My husband is in Caldwell Correctional, and is insisting there was a bill passed letting thousands of nonviolent inmates out because the prison's are so overcrowded. He keeps asking me to research this, everyone in the prison is talking about it. Does anyone know anything about this??? Please help, just a rumor?? :confused:

i kno they passed something in california where they have to reduce the prison population by 43,000 due to overcrowding

roysprincess
06-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Hi there!

Unfortunately, it is a rumor and it gets passed around a few times a year...my husband heard this quite often while he was in...If your loved one was sentenced under the structured sentencing act, then they HAVE to do the mandatory minimum sentence the the judge imposes on them. Even with earned/gain time, good behavior, etc. they can not go below their mandatory minimum. :rolleyes:

If you have any questions, etc. feel free to PM me!

All the Best,

Tasha

Lonelywohim
06-16-2011, 06:56 PM
yes I seen something about it on SentenceSpeaks but all it is to me is just talk u know they are going to take their time about everything...Have u heard anything about the new crack law going retroactive?

worriednnc
06-28-2011, 10:05 PM
I think I received something today from FAMM stating that a decision would be made by the 30 about the crack law being retro-activated.

des#1lady
07-02-2011, 02:14 AM
yeah i have heard about this.... my man keeps telling me about it! The difference btween the times they said it before and now is Beverly Perdue was vetoed! They are closing 4 mininuim security prisons.... i have heard a District Attorney state that it was true this time. because of the budget! Idk if its true or not but i did the math if the prisons are overcrowded and they close down 4 prisons they will have to make room somehow and somewhere! I have talk to a programs case worker that verified that they will be closing prisons july/august! This all suppose to take place by August 8th.... all i can say is i hope so! But we have to wait and see!

07-02-2011, 10:01 PM
http://www.wect.tv/story/15004448/crack-prisoners-could-get-break-on-sentences?clienttype=printable
An article about the early release of crack offenders - from FEDERAL prison! Has nothing to do with NC State prisons.

Also, if you or yours are affected by this ruling - two things:

1. It is retroactive

2. The offender must petition a judge for a sentence reduction - decided on a case-by-case basis.