View Full Version : What are the chances of making First Parole?

TXF8085
06-08-2011, 11:34 AM
What are the chances of an inmate making first parole? My fiance is a first time offender. His charge was aggravated, BUT he was told that the prison he is at is not considering it to be an aggravated charge. I'm a little confused about this but glad at the same time. He is currently at goodman unit. His sentence was for 8 years with no chance for parole until he had served half, BUT because they aren't considering it aggravated the law is that he should only have to serve 35%. He is almost at that mark now.

cphillips
06-08-2011, 11:42 AM
I guess I'm a little confused about what your asking. If his sentence was agg, and he was told that he has to serve at least 50% of his time then that is what he is required to serve. The prison doesn't have a say so in if the case is considered as agg or not. Does he have a 3g offense? If so, he'll have to serve 50% of his time before he's eligible for parole.

JPrasil
06-08-2011, 11:54 AM
What are the chances of an inmate making first parole? My fiance is a first time offender. His charge was aggravated, BUT he was told that the prison he is at is not considering it to be an aggravated charge. I'm a little confused about this but glad at the same time. He is currently at goodman unit. His sentence was for 8 years with no chance for parole until he had served half, BUT because they aren't considering it aggravated the law is that he should only have to serve 35%. He is almost at that mark now.

I first want to say yay for firs time up for Parole! The Parole process can be nerve racking, anxious, stressful, etc. Most of us will go through it at some point and time. The believe the one trait with Parole process is patience. If you have that then it's makes things a lot easier. There's no say on what the outcome can be for the first time up for Parole. As most say on PTO Parole is like Texas weather--unpredictable. The Parole Board does go by a set of Guidelines and each case is different so...but I do wish you two tons of luck!

I'm a bit confused as well. Just because a charge is aggravated does not make it automatically a 3G Offense or Violent Offense. TDCJ does enforce a 3G Offense which is treated differently than a non-3G Offense. 3G Offenses refer to the section of the Criminal Procedure Code that list certain offenses that are Offenses that are singled out and deserve special treatment such as harsher punishment. A Offender with a 3G Offense must serve 1/2 their time flat before their Parole Eligibility Date with no Good Time Counted towards their Parole Eligibility. Other charges that are non-3G serve 1/4 or 25% of their Sentence before their Parole Eligibility with their Good Time Counting toward their Parole Eligibility. However, the biggest difference is a 3G/Violent Offense which makes an Offender ineligible for Mandatory Supervision. Mandatory Supervision is when their Good Time + Flat Time = Sentence. It's the Date that TDCJ Classifications calculate their Projected Release to Mandatory Supervision--hence why it's called Projected Release Date.

With that said, If he has to serve 1/2 (4 years on an 8 year Sentence) until he's Eligible for Parole then his Offense is a 3G Offense. If his Offense is non-3G his Parole Eligibility would be at 11 months 8 days. If his Projected Release Date matches his Max Date/Full Sentence (all 8 years) then he's ineligible for Mandatory Supervision. If he's eligible for Mandatory Supervision then his Projected Release Date would be around 3 years 9 months and 16 Days. Either way, the Parole Board has to approve release for an Offender on both Parole and and Mandatory Supervision.

acro
06-08-2011, 01:16 PM
You should be able to look at the offender website and tell by his PRD and PED dates how they are treating it.

cphillips
06-08-2011, 02:21 PM
Go to this website Parolesource.com ,and it'll tell you if his offense is 3g and if he's req to serve 50% of his time. The basic info is free, but if you want a customized report it's like $13. Paid for my hubbys, and I found the info to be helpful. Best of luck to you..

RobinsMan
06-08-2011, 03:19 PM
His Parole Eligiblity Date on his information page on the TDC website shold clear up any confusion. If his offense is aggravated assault that did not include a deadly weapon finding then that is the only "aggravated" offense that does not qualify as 3g. Anything else or if there is a deadly weapon finding then he is 3g. However, if he is not 3g then he would already have been eligible for parole at around the 12.5% mark (because of good time, as Jprasil mentioned) or even a little earlier. If he is a third of the way through his sentence and has not yet been reviewed for parole then one has to guess that he is 3g and would therefor not be eligible for parole until the halfway point. Again, simply checking his information to see when his PED is will clear things up. There is no meaning to a 35% number other than inmate rumor. Someone plucked that number out of thin air.

TXF8085
06-08-2011, 04:37 PM
He was eligible for parole as of April 25, 2011. It says online that it is aggravated but they told him at the unit that they aren't showing that it is an aggravated offense. HMMMM. If they told him in court when he was sentenced that he wouldn't be eligible for parole until 50% was served then why is he up for parole now when he's only been in since July 2010? Something isn't adding up. I just thank God and know it is only because of Him that things are going good. As far as it being a 3g offense...I've never even heard that term. I will have to do more research on that. Thanks to all of you :)

RobinsMan
06-09-2011, 08:52 AM
Again, if his offense happens to be aggravated assault and there is no deadly weapon finding then that is not 3g and he is therefore not exposed to the 50% requirement. TDC usually does not make many mistakes so I am thinking, given what you say about how his offense is described, that is what his offense must be. If that is the case then whoever told him different in court simply didn't know what they were talking about.

Sugar Plum
06-09-2011, 09:17 AM
I have to add so you don't set yourself up for a complete let down, that with it being an agg charge it is more difficult to get out on your first parole. My bf had agg but NOT 3G and his 1st parole he was set off 2 years which put him right at the 50% mark. If you are thinking of hiring a parole attorney make sure you get one who will represent him each time at no additional charge until he is out. Most will tell you it is very difficult to get out on 1st parole, especially with an agg charge But NOT impossible. Then if he does get parole 1st time you have a huge bonus and count your blessings.

TXF8085
06-09-2011, 11:49 AM
God has been good thus far. I am praying and believing that HE will make a way for Tim to come home this time.

RobinsMan
06-09-2011, 01:17 PM
... My bf had agg but NOT 3G and his 1st parole he was set off 2 years which put him right at the 50% mark. ...

Only 3g offenses can be set off for more than one year. If he got set off for two years then he has a 3g offense or there was a deadly weapon finding. A set off is counted from the day of denial, by the way. It doesn't matter when the PED is or was.

Mommy314
06-10-2011, 10:22 AM
GOOD LUCK GIRL!...ALL MY BEST WISHES TO YOU. I HOPE YOUR HUBBY CAN MAKE PAROLE SOON,my husband got an aggravated 2yr sentence and is currently at Garza East, but he came up for parole only 3 1/2(Jan 2O11) months after being arrested "/...its already June and still havnt heard pack from parole...

ROBINSMAN: seems like you know alot :)..can you help me out...on his TimeSheet given by TDC it says that his Parole Credit time is 65% 1yr 2months(back in April)...is that what parole sees? is that time really counting?...his flat time is actually 8months.

Sugar Plum
06-10-2011, 11:35 AM
Only 3g offenses can be set off for more than one year. If he got set off for two years then he has a 3g offense or there was a deadly weapon finding. A set off is counted from the day of denial, by the way. It doesn't matter when the PED is or was.

Oh that's how that worked, yes you are right there was a finding of a deadly weapon.

Sorry, I hope I didn't confuse those with only agg charges.