View Full Version : Interstate Transfer (Florida to Ohio)

leftmyluvinOH
06-05-2011, 11:36 AM
Hello again...I'm looking for someone who has a loved one in the FDOC that would possibily have a loved one (on the streets so to speak) in Ohio and would be interested in a State to State transfer of their loved one. I'm in Florida and my love is locked up in Ohio. I was told by the ODOC (Ohio Department of corrections) that if someone is willing to "swap" locations, this might be a possibility.... So, I'm looking to see if anyone knows of anyone (Florida prisoner) that would want to move to an Ohio prison. Sounds interesting to me....There must be a few MWI's that have loved one in Florida and they are in Ohio.....Let me know and I will pull some strings and see if it's a possibility:) We have a long sentence and I would love to be able to get in the car and go see my love instead of having to get on a plane.. This would be a dream come true...thanks!;)

amickeyfan
06-05-2011, 02:32 PM
Maybe in Ohio they transfer inmates to different states.. but if an inmate is in the Florida State Prison System (FL-DOC), they remain there until their sentence is completed. They can transfer their probation out of state, but not their prison time. Maybe Federal prisons in Fl do that, since they are Federally operated, and not State run??? But if you are looking for someone to "transfer" our of FL-DOC, it isn't going to be allowed.. Fl won't do that... sorry to be the one to bring you bad news...:(

NAN425
06-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Here's the relevant part of the Florida's Ch. 33 that deals with swapping inmates with other states: https://www.flrules.org/gateway/ruleno.asp?id=33-601.401

amickeyfan
06-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Now I have "heard" that Fl doesn't "approve" them.. so if they don't approve it, how will it get done? Is there some that the other state can go to and fight it?

(3) When Florida is the Sending State.
(a) The institutional classification team (ICT) is authorized to recommend an inmate for interstate compact transfer with or without the inmate’s request. A request for transfer may be initiated by the inmate to the ICT of the institution at which the inmate is incarcerated.

So if my understanding is correct, this is the team that is at the inmates prison, they are also the ones who decide if they can go to another in State facility as well. .. and that is where they say "no".. like I said, that is what I have heard.. they don't want to send them out..

amickeyfan
06-05-2011, 04:08 PM
If my memory serves me correctly, there was something about this before.. someone wanted their loved one to leave FL and go to NY... do a search on here and see if you find it.. I know I have heard it was no...

The way that the ruling reads, they can transfer an inmate even without their consent. So that means any of our loved ones can be upped and shipped out of State.. I really don't think they do this...

Paralegal USA
06-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Maybe in Ohio they transfer inmates to different states.. but if an inmate is in the Florida State Prison System (FL-DOC), they remain there until their sentence is completed. They can transfer their probation out of state, but not their prison time. Maybe Federal prisons in Fl do that, since they are Federally operated, and not State run??? But if you are looking for someone to "transfer" our of FL-DOC, it isn't going to be allowed.. Fl won't do that... sorry to be the one to bring you bad news..

Incorrect; Florida DOC does indeed transfer prisoners to other states.

Now I have "heard" that Fl doesn't "approve" them.. so if they don't approve it, how will it get done? Is there some that the other state can go to and fight it?

(3) When Florida is the Sending State.
(a) The institutional classification team (ICT) is authorized to recommend an inmate for interstate compact transfer with or without the inmate’s request. A request for transfer may be initiated by the inmate to the ICT of the institution at which the inmate is incarcerated.

So if my understanding is correct, this is the team that is at the inmates prison, they are also the ones who decide if they can go to another in State facility as well. .. and that is where they say "no".. like I said, that is what I have heard.. they don't want to send them out..

The ICT can recommend out-of-state transfer, whether the inmate requests it or not. Central Office can also initiate the process, and oftentimes does.

Hello again...I'm looking for someone who has a loved one in the FDOC that would possibily have a loved one (on the streets so to speak) in Ohio and would be interested in a State to State transfer of their loved one. I'm in Florida and my love is locked up in Ohio. I was told by the ODOC (Ohio Department of corrections) that if someone is willing to "swap" locations, this might be a possibility.... So, I'm looking to see if anyone knows of anyone (Florida prisoner) that would want to move to an Ohio prison. Sounds interesting to me....There must be a few MWI's that have loved one in Florida and they are in Ohio.....Let me know and I will pull some strings and see if it's a possibility. We have a long sentence and I would love to be able to get in the car and go see my love instead of having to get on a plane.. This would be a dream come true...thanks!

OH is one of the easier States to work with when it comes to interstate transfer of inmates. FL, on the other hand, can be, and usually is, very difficult to work with. But I do know of a number of instances in which reciprocal transfers have occurred from and to FL. Though I am sure it has been accomplished by other means, the cases I’m aware of that resulted in reciprocal transfers were all handled by a FL attorney who served as a State legislator and who remains active in FL politics. I don’t have any idea what he charges for these types of cases, but I would imagine he’s not cheap.

amickeyfan
06-06-2011, 04:37 PM
Incorrect; Florida DOC does indeed transfer prisoners to other states.

The ICT can recommend out-of-state transfer, whether the inmate requests it or not. Central Office can also initiate the process, and oftentimes does.

OH is one of the easier States to work with when it comes to interstate transfer of inmates. FL, on the other hand, can be, and usually is, very difficult to work with. But I do know of a number of instances in which reciprocal transfers have occurred from and to FL. Though I am sure it has been accomplished by other means, the cases I’m aware of that resulted in reciprocal transfers were all handled by a FL attorney who served as a State legislator and who remains active in FL politics. I don’t have any idea what he charges for these types of cases, but I would imagine he’s not cheap.
So for no reason at all, the State can and will just up an inmate and transfer them out of the State, I don't mean an inmate that needs to be transfered because he is wanted there as well but someone who has nothing to do with that state??????:confused: I honestly have never ever heard of them doing that hear.
Also if Central Office can initiate the process, why is it not in Cpt 33 for the inmates to be made aware of? I would think it would have to be in print somewhere in there, it is about ICT?????

Paralegal USA
06-06-2011, 05:22 PM
So for no reason at all, the State can and will just up an inmate and transfer them out of the State, I don't mean an inmate that needs to be transfered because he is wanted there as well but someone who has nothing to do with that state?????? I honestly have never ever heard of them doing that hear.

Yes, it happens quite frequently. Currently there are more than 100 FLDOC-sentenced inmates serving their FL sentences in other states or the federal prison system.

Also if Central Office can initiate the process, why is it not in Cpt 33 for the inmates to be made aware of? I would think it would have to be in print somewhere in there, it is about ICT?????

It's really quite simple. FS 941.56 authorizes interstate transfer of inmates. FAC 33-601.401(3)(a) merely delineates that the ICT can initiate recommendation for transfer. The ICT's recommendation is not always followed by Central Office. But if Central Ofice wants the inmate transferred, it simply sends an interagency email to the ICT instructing that it initiate the process.

leftmyluvinOH
06-07-2011, 05:00 PM
Wow, thanks for all the information everyone. I sent this thread on to my love in Ohio. I don't necessarly need a FDOC to send an inmate to FL? If I'm reading this correctly...I can just have my love request a transfer himself? We have an attorney in Ohio already, maybe I will e-mail him and put a bug in his ear and see if he knows how easily this can be done. This would be a wonderful x-mas present! I know....come on December!!: ) ha-ha.

burntfingers
06-12-2011, 10:59 AM
I know we have plans to move to OH once he's out, but maybe we can go sooner, before he's out. Let me know if you're still needing a transfer, because I know my husband would be up for it! :D

amickeyfan
06-12-2011, 07:18 PM
Yes, it happens quite frequently. Currently there are more than 100 FLDOC-sentenced inmates serving their FL sentences in other states or the federal prison system.

It's really quite simple. FS 941.56 authorizes interstate transfer of inmates. FAC 33-601.401(3)(a) merely delineates that the ICT can initiate recommendation for transfer. The ICT's recommendation is not always followed by Central Office. But if Central Ofice wants the inmate transferred, it simply sends an interagency email to the ICT instructing that it initiate the process.
ok, now you are stating that DOC can turn over an inmate to a Federal prison, but their sentence isn't a federal sentence :confused:.. if it isn't a federal crime, how can they do federal time?

Paralegal USA
06-15-2011, 06:27 AM
ok, now you are stating that DOC can turn over an inmate to a Federal prison, but their sentence isn't a federal sentence. if it isn't a federal crime, how can they do federal time?

Because the BOP is a party to the Interstate Compact, the authority for which is derived from federal law.

ben's girl
06-15-2011, 11:02 AM
My SIL was looking for an inmate yesterday and couldn't remember his last name so she was searching by first name only. She ran across an inmate whose location was INTERSTATE and called me to find out what that meant. I could only assume it meant he was moved on interstate transfer. Later when I went to look for myself she couldn't remember his name ????

I would think the best thing to do in this situation is for the inmate to request the transfer and wait for approval and for an inmate in the receiving state to do the same. I doubt you'll find someone by posting on a message board. As hard as it is, go through the process and atleast let it do what it supposed to in the meantime.

lovingwifewaiti
07-06-2011, 05:12 PM
So for no reason at all, the State can and will just up an inmate and transfer them out of the State, I don't mean an inmate that needs to be transfered because he is wanted there as well but someone who has nothing to do with that state??????:confused: I honestly have never ever heard of them doing that hear.
More and more states are transferring inmates out of state. They return them around 90 days left on their sentence from what I was told. Hardship for some families but they can and do transfer even when it is not requested. They can do it just to ease overcrowding. Nothing to do with ICT