View Full Version : Warden pushes inmate bill

LifeTraveler
06-02-2011, 06:33 AM
Louisiana State Penitentiary Warden Burl Cain told legislators Wednesday that he wants to purge his Angola prison of aging inmates who did not kill or rape anyone.

Cain asked the House Committee on the Administration of Criminal Justice to embrace House Bill 138 as a way to lower the state’s costs for caring for older inmates with health problems.

Rest of the article here. (http://www.2theadvocate.com/news/Warden-pushes-inmate-bill.html)

determined823
06-02-2011, 07:31 AM
I thought it was interesting that there is over 800 inmates over 60 years old, but only 72 of them are incarcerated for non-violent crimes. Not even all of those 72 would meet the other requirements.

Sent from my PC36100 using PrisonTalk

LifeTraveler
06-02-2011, 02:32 PM
I noticed the same thing too. So, while they sit there and act like they're doing something, they're really not doing squat!

determined823
06-02-2011, 03:46 PM
I noticed the same thing too. So, while they sit there and act like they're doing something, they're really not doing squat!

Diane was completely right on the other thread when she pointed out that not too many non-violent/non sex offenders serve long enough to qualify for this. I guess they are trying to help the few that are, but I still can't see it making that much of a difference.

I know a lot more inmates that would qualify if the age limit wasn't 60. Angola does have many inmates doing time for drug offenses that would probably qualify. Anyway, I am happy for the few who will have the opportunity to be free. I just hope they have somebody to help them on the outside otherwise they will be in for a tougher time than they have in prison.