View Full Version : Securus Tech (formerly CBS)

hisprettygirl10
03-07-2011, 11:43 AM
So I've been patient with the phones at my mans facility being crappy. But this has gone to a whole new level, I have 2 calls that wouldnt let me accept it even though I had money and pressed '1' yet they charged me the connection fee.....Fine whatever. My man was suposed to call me after lunch today which is usually between 1-130 he never did so I went online to check and see if there was a block, sure enough there was and I only had .05 in my account. There are charges on there from a whole different region than my mans, here's the kicker I was visitng my man yesterday when these calls were 'made n charged' to our account. I am so livid and STILL on hold to talk to these people, I've never had any issues with them before now even when it was still CBS. Please tell me im not the only one?! :angry:

Snowwolf
03-07-2011, 05:47 PM
I've had issues with them since the first call I got so I'm not the one to ask lol And I'm still waiting for my latest payment to show up so he can call. Been a week. :banghead:

Snowwolf

Bluvsu2
03-07-2011, 11:05 PM
I never have any issues what so ever. Money goes on right away. Calls come through perfectly. Sorry you guys are having issues

raquelinthesky
03-10-2011, 07:10 PM
So I made the mistake of having a local number for the facility where my friend is forwarded to my cell phone. I got a block on the local number due to "remote call forwarding" being detected.

If I add a second line to my cell phone bill (and it would be a local number for the facility), will Securus jerk me around with this? I read that some people can use google voice, skype, etc., but Securus reps told me that this is impossible, that any numbers being forwarded to a different number will be blocked and could cause problems for my inmate friend, which I obviously don't want to happen.

What do people do when their forwarded numbers are blocked? I was told as long as it's a direct number (from the facility to my cell phone), then it's fine, but now I'm worried that I'm on Securus' radar and that they'll f' me around and not allow me to have a local number of the jail (my billing address is in a different state, obviously). Has anyone else been able to add a second line to their mobile service and have it be local to the jail facility, and if so, has Securus blocked it or let it be? Please help!!

raquelinthesky
03-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Hey all- I'm new to this so bear with me.

I had a local number (to the jail where my friend is) being forwarded to my out of state number. Securus put a block on it. I added my local number but I will only be able to talk to my friend once every few months as a 15 minute calls is $18. Securus called me literally the day after I had my first phone call with her and told me that my local number was blocked.

If I add a second phone line (a direct number) to my mobile service and have it be a local number to the jail, will Securus jerk me around on this? One of the reps told me that my phone bill and billing address have to match the area code. I can't believe this. They say it's for security but when I offered to send them the bill that I have through my call-forwarding company and they could see my name and that it's a number assigned to me and see that the calls are forwarded to my legit cell phone, they said no...so it's obviously about money.

Does anyone else do this- have a cell phone/direct number that is local to the jail but not have a billing address that matches the number? Please help, if so!! Thanks!!!

raquelinthesky
03-10-2011, 07:39 PM
Securus blocked a "forwarding number" that I had on my account. The forwarding number goes to my cell phone, which is out of state.

If I add a second phone line to my cell phone, no forwarding involved, will Securus block me again (because my area code won't match the billing address).

I really can't believe this whole thing....any ideas are welcome...thank you sooo much!

fallen star
04-25-2011, 12:30 PM
anyone have any advice on how to speak to an actual person with this company?

D4C
04-28-2011, 11:50 PM
Call and act like you want to set up your phone for the first time & then once you get someone on the phone tell them your issue. That's what I always do... they suck... :(

lil peep
04-30-2011, 05:51 PM
If you go online to their website, you they have a live chat during the day and you can get someone that way or call the phone number. I did talk to someone but I was on hold for a while.

DABsgirl
04-30-2011, 06:17 PM
After dialing the 800 # I think it's option #4 to get a rep on the phone.

fallen star
04-30-2011, 08:31 PM
Thanks for the advice all. I finally got someone on the "live chat" option and got things straightened out.

BKBS
05-20-2011, 07:20 PM
Help me! I closed my CBS/Securus account about a month ago b/c my boyfriend has not been in jail in a year. Today, I received two phone calls from the # that would pop up when he used to call me. I was unable to answer them & just caught the tail end of the recording on my voicemail, saying something along the lines of, "if you would like to permanently block calls from this facility press 6." I am of course freaking out, thinking he is back in jail, especially since I haven't been able to get in touch with him today. So I get on the chat with Securus. I explain the situation & also say that my online account says BLOCK on it, so should I be able to even receive any calls? She tells me that I should not be able to receive calls, that the calls would not be allowed. She also checks her records & says that my phone number did not receive any calls from any facility today. I ask her why I got two calls then? She says that the automated system likely called me by mistake & to disregard the calls. I don't know why the automated system would be asking me if I want to block calls from a facility though.

It all sounds good, but it also doesn't sound right. Has anyone had anything similar happen?

mrs_black2009
05-21-2011, 05:20 PM
sorry I cant be of any help,I have never used it but how much was it costing you when you were using it my husband suggested it to me last time we talked but moneys hard to come by these days being unemployed and evrything ,just wondering if you would say it was worth it?

BKBS
05-21-2011, 05:30 PM
Hi,

Well I reopened the account just in case my boyfriend is in, but I haven't gotten any calls since the two yesterday. I am also starting to wonder if those were maybe "free" calls & that's why Securus doesn't have any record of them even though they went through their phone number? BLAH!

Anyways, my calls are from a facility that is in the same town in which I live. There was an 80 cent connection fee, and then 50 cents for every five minutes we talked, up to a total of 15 minutes.

BKBS
05-21-2011, 05:35 PM
You can get a rate quote on their website.

DABsgirl
05-25-2011, 05:46 PM
Anyone else have a problem with Securus Tech (formerly Correctional Billing Services) dropping calls a second or two after saying "hello?" I'm talking about on a land line with no 3 way calling, or anything. Just press one to connect and say hello or take a breath to say hello and the recording comes on saying "This call is being terminated. No 3rd party calling." WTH Can I even get a proper hello?

This happens about once every month or two and I typically call to get the call credited back because it cost $1.15 for their mess up but today they tell me that I have to fill out a dispute form and mail or fax it in. They they will take up to 30 days to investigate. WTF :angry: The issue is their and another way of making money...I have NEVER 3 way called.

eharte
05-26-2011, 06:16 AM
Yes, this happens to me as well. It is so frustrating because my man thinks I am cheating, and my lover has me hang up the phone when it says "no third party."
Does your partner say it takes 7-8 rings before you pick up when you answer the phone immediately? Mine does, and it is so frustrating.

Anyone else have a problem with Securus Tech (formerly Correctional Billing Services) dropping calls a second or two after saying "hello?" I'm talking about on a land line with no 3 way calling, or anything. Just press one to connect and say hello or take a breath to say hello and the recording comes on saying "This call is being terminated. No 3rd party calling." WTH Can I even get a proper hello?

This happens about once every month or two and I typically call to get the call credited back because it cost $1.15 for their mess up but today they tell me that I have to fill out a dispute form and mail or fax it in. They they will take up to 30 days to investigate. WTF :angry: The issue is their and another way of making money...I have NEVER 3 way called.

DABsgirl
05-27-2011, 05:25 PM
Yes, this happens to me as well. It is so frustrating because my man thinks I am cheating, and my lover has me hang up the phone when it says "no third party."
Does your partner say it takes 7-8 rings before you pick up when you answer the phone immediately? Mine does, and it is so frustrating.

No my man never mentioned how many rings it takes before pick up. I faxed my dropped call investigation paper but I think it's BS. They will take a month to credit back the call they messed up and it is likely they will come up with some BS as to why they won't credit it. I'm so tired of how they milk us for money.

D4C
05-28-2011, 10:27 PM
I've had it do it to me a couple of times during the middle of a call. And unfortunately they refused to refund me anything because they said it was my fault (it wasn't)

jenn85345
05-28-2011, 11:56 PM
Have you had them run a check on your line? They'll probably say that there's nothing wrong on their end and it's all your fault, but I guess it doesn't hurt to try.

BKBS
06-15-2011, 05:06 PM
So, my calls from my boyfriend are local - $2 something for a 15 minute call. He asked me to add his mom's number which is in another state. I did, not even thinking about the long distance factor, b/c in this age of cell phones, whoever really thinks about that?!
So I get an e-mail today saying my account balance is low - he and I have rarely talked since I last put money, so I am like, "Why isn't there any money left on the phone?!" He said he has been cutting back (like I asked him to), & that he has rarely even used the phone.
I pull up the bill summary - OMG. Two calls to his mom cost me $30 - a $4 connection fee and then $1 a minute after that. I just about died - I am sick to my stomach. How disgusting is this?!

lil peep
06-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Yeah it's really bad! I did a quote for a long distance call and it was $20 for a 30 minute call! I was able to get a cell with a local number thankfully b/c then the call is only $3. I don't know how they can charge that much! It's seriously robbery...

MarGrits
06-15-2011, 06:25 PM
When mine first went to jail and he was calling my cell it was $26 a phone call...his father told me he wouldn't even pay that much to talk to him! Luckily it went to $2.50 with my landline. It's disturbing how much we have to pay.

ben's girl
06-16-2011, 03:54 PM
The rates are negotiated by the prison and CBS. It is ridiculous how much they charge families for the calls. When Ben first went in (FL) the calls were close to $20.00 for 15 mins and they are now around $2.00. They slowly decreased because the contracts were renegotiated every couple of years. Thanks goodness!!! ....this is for prison calls, not county jail.

melon1989
07-01-2011, 03:13 PM
My account was blocked for using Google voice after our first phone call. I changed the number to my cell phone, which is prepaid through Straight Talk. It's been 24 hours and my account is still blocked!

How long does it take to get the block taken off? Is that up to the jail? Will they block me again because I use a prepaid cell phone?

Thanks!

MissingMyEdward
07-07-2011, 06:40 AM
Just out of curiosity, how long does Securus wait to close your account due to no calls? Do they even do this?

Sent from my DROID2 using PrisonTalk

ben's girl
07-07-2011, 06:51 AM
Before they changed their website, it was easy to locate but now I can't seem to find that section. I seem to recall it's 180 days of inactivity.

cr1sco
07-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Friends and Family FAQ on their site -- You may not use all the money that you have placed into your AdvanceConnect™ Account by the time the inmate is released. If you need to, you may request a refund of your remaining balance. AdvanceConnect™ Accounts with a balance remaining on them will expire one hundred eighty (180) days from the date of the last call placed and paid for using the Account. (For Alaska customers, there is an exception to this refund policy.) On expired Accounts, no refunds will be issued after the Account expiration date. Prior to expiration, a full or partial refund may be obtained. To obtain a refund on an unexpired Account, please contact CBS by phone at 1-800-844-6591. For all check and credit/debit card transactions made by phone or on our website, refunds will be applied to the checking account or credit/debit card you last used. For refunds on Accounts that were paid via Western Union or for payments mailed in, a refund check will be mailed via regular U.S. Postal Service. Please allow 2-3 weeks for processing.

MiniMoose
07-22-2011, 05:32 AM
I went out the website and closed the account. I did not let it sit. I did this as soon as my LO transferred to Fed.

I'd go to the website and close it and not let it sit for the 180 days. The credit has not yet posted to my CC but it's only been closed a few weeks.

MiniMoose
07-22-2011, 05:37 AM
Although it's difficult to get through to them, I'd call them and talk to them.

They had my account all screwed up because someone didn't know how to type...they entered my billing information incorrectly...twice.

It took me awhile to get through but eventually I did.

Good luck!

My account was blocked for using Google voice after our first phone call. I changed the number to my cell phone, which is prepaid through Straight Talk. It's been 24 hours and my account is still blocked!

How long does it take to get the block taken off? Is that up to the jail? Will they block me again because I use a prepaid cell phone?

Thanks!

Pennyfields
07-26-2011, 07:41 PM
I had a friend calling on securus and the block was for a week before they fixed it.

hisalone
11-24-2011, 06:16 PM
My boyfriend was just moved to a place that uses Securus and it's CRAZY expensive. When I use their "rate my call" feature, it's no cheaper for a local call vs a long distance call. Does anyone use them and have any suggestions on how to get the cost down?

babygurl2010
11-29-2011, 07:02 PM
I was reduced to using that service when my friend was in county. Seriously ridiculous. $5.98 a call. Plus they did the minimum of $25 plus the fee to even use the service. $31 just for 4 calls!! Their customer service also has a lot to be desired!! I am already in the same area code so switching to another service would do me no good. They know where they got u!! Sorry.

ben's girl
11-29-2011, 07:16 PM
If that is the provider for your loved one's facility then there won't be anything you can do. The costs of phone calls is negotiated between the prison and Securus. You also have taxes that are added that you can't get rid of.

hisalone
11-30-2011, 04:52 PM
That's what I was afraid of but thought that I'd ask... And I thought GTL was bad. What I'd give to have that back!!

KayGee19
02-15-2012, 08:08 AM
Ugh! This company really frustrates me. My love tried to contact me for like an hour yesterday it kept telling him my number was restricted. Really?! I'd been in contact w Securus through email for a bit trying to set up my online access to stay on top of my billing( I pay everything online) I had a gut feeling they'd screw something up, they did. They changed me from direct bill to prepay. Not that I care, but a heads up would be nice. So imagine this I'm in my pajamas I have 20 min before they shut down phones and rack up, I have his dad on one phone he's on his dads house phone I have my cell phone on the line w Securus I'm storming around the house like a psycho looking for my cc I find it to prepay, then the lady says it may take an hour to post?! Ugh!!! And it's valentines day! So I told his dad to tell him to try it one more time if not to just call me the next day. Well it worked. Although we only got to talk for 15 min it was awesome. He's gonna call back thursday so we can have our longer phone convo.

Angeleyezob
02-15-2012, 03:30 PM
I havn't had issues with Securus yet but they really are a rough company to deal with sometimes. They'll send me a reminder (I'm a prepay account) telling me I'm low one month and the next I'm getting a phone call from his mom telling me that I need to put money on the account. It's obnoxious, hope they finally start working with you cause those phone calls are important.

KayGee19
02-15-2012, 03:57 PM
I havn't had issues with Securus yet but they really are a rough company to deal with sometimes. They'll send me a reminder (I'm a prepay account) telling me I'm low one month and the next I'm getting a phone call from his mom telling me that I need to put money on the account. It's obnoxious, hope they finally start working with you cause those phone calls are important.

Lol I obnoxiously over prepaid they should leave me alone for a while. It should last for 3 months I was able to calculate it more or less but I mean other than annoying stuff they are pretty okay to deal with.

laceyyyboo
02-15-2012, 04:08 PM
Ugh! This company really frustrates me. My love tried to contact me for like an hour yesterday it kept telling him my number was restricted. Really?! I'd been in contact w Securus through email for a bit trying to set up my online access to stay on top of my billing( I pay everything online) I had a gut feeling they'd screw something up, they did. They changed me from direct bill to prepay. Not that I care, but a heads up would be nice. So imagine this I'm in my pajamas I have 20 min before they shut down phones and rack up, I have his dad on one phone he's on his dads house phone I have my cell phone on the line w Securus I'm storming around the house like a psycho looking for my cc I find it to prepay, then the lady says it may take an hour to post?! Ugh!!! And it's valentines day! So I told his dad to tell him to try it one more time if not to just call me the next day. Well it worked. Although we only got to talk for 15 min it was awesome. He's gonna call back thursday so we can have our longer phone convo.

I've had a few problems with them also.
They would disconnect our calls and say I was making 3 way calls which I don't even have 3 way. And it was taken all my money. So it took me 3days to finally talk to someone on the phone and I made sure I got all my money back!!!

taraadele18
02-15-2012, 04:24 PM
I've had a few problems with them also.
They would disconnect our calls and say I was making 3 way calls which I don't even have 3 way. And it was taken all my money. So it took me 3days to finally talk to someone on the phone and I made sure I got all my money back!!!

Same thing with us, about 3 times a week this happens to our phone calls! I've never attempted a 3 way call and it tells me I am! Wtf!

Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk

KayGee19
02-15-2012, 08:39 PM
Same thing with us, about 3 times a week this happens to our phone calls! I've never attempted a 3 way call and it tells me I am! Wtf!

Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk

It's sensitive if there is noise on your end in the background that can happen I disconnect my landline and plug it back in usually works. If u set up access online for securus u can dispute charges it's so nifty!

KayGee19
02-17-2012, 08:22 PM
This thread is titled CBS ? What is CBS? Just wondering because my securus was formerly embarq?

SimplyMe123
02-18-2012, 05:17 AM
They are all connected. CBS (Correctional Billing Systems) = Securus = Embarq. I'm not sure if they were individual companies that merged, or if they are all various departments of one large company; I'll have to look that one up sometime.

Edit: Ah, here we go.

"...Embarq PayphoneServices, Inc utilizes Securus Correctional Billing Services (SCBS), a division of Evercom Systems, Inc., to provide billing and collection services on its behalf." - from http://texasoffenderfriendsandfamily.com/faqs.asp