View Full Version : How long does it take for mail to get to inmate?

Jessica777
05-14-2011, 01:23 PM
How long does it ussually take for letters to make it to your inmate? From where I live the mail takes 1 day to get to the institution. I was just curious about how much longer it takes at OSP for it to get to the inmate. And how long does it take for a letter from the inmate to get out of OSP?

Thanks Jessica

TLAn4ever
05-15-2011, 12:20 AM
Not sure about OSP, but at Two Rivers the mail gets to him pretty much the day it arrives, I've been impressed. When he was in Cali, it could take over a week, so I really am thankful that it is different here.

Jessica777
05-15-2011, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have sent 3 letters this week, no reply. Worried about him, hopefully I will hear something soon.

VinnysGirl
05-31-2011, 10:01 PM
I send letters to SRCI Min.from Portland and it takes a week! I think its "whenever they get around to it" lol!

mothersharon
06-01-2011, 09:27 AM
I am surprised how quickly my daughter gets her mail, sometimes only 3 days from when I mailed it. I think it has a lot to do with who is working in the mailroom. There was a time when everything I sent to her came back with some kind of mail violation, it was very frustrating. Haveing enemys in the mailroom cant be a good thing. You have to give the mailroom credit, can you imagine the amount of mail they have to go thru.

Alexgirl
06-01-2011, 05:26 PM
I send mail to TRCI it gets there pretty quickly but make sure that your letter doesn't get wet! I was putting the letter into the mail box and a big drop of water hit it as it slid in.. I didn't think about it till i got it back yesturday as a mail violation cause it had smeared the ink.. as a unauthorized substance.

GRR

Jessica777
06-04-2011, 12:53 AM
I send mail to TRCI it gets there pretty quickly but make sure that your letter doesn't get wet! I was putting the letter into the mail box and a big drop of water hit it as it slid in.. I didn't think about it till i got it back yesturday as a mail violation cause it had smeared the ink.. as a unauthorized substance.

GRR
I never thought about the getting wet and smearing ink. It rains everyday here. I will have to be sure to keep my letters extra dry. Thanks for the tip.

avanwalchren
06-04-2011, 08:37 PM
How long does it ussually take for letters to make it to your inmate? From where I live the mail takes 1 day to get to the institution. I was just curious about how much longer it takes at OSP for it to get to the inmate. And how long does it take for a letter from the inmate to get out of OSP?

Thanks Jessica

My son is at OSP> I receive his mail the day after he sents tehm. He receives my mail the day after I mail it. Mail delivery at OSP is late afternoon.
Hope this info helps

Anita

herselftheelf
06-06-2011, 02:42 PM
My husband is at OSP, and I live in Eugene. If I mail on Monday, he will get it on Wednesday. His mail to me is next day, or 2 day, like mine, depending on when he puts it in the "mailbox". :thumbsup:

krystal_is_me
06-30-2011, 01:27 PM
He gets my letters in two days now that he is at Shutter Creek and same goes for me getting his letters! It is a nice change from the week it took for each letter from prcf!

gdubs
06-30-2011, 09:08 PM
I mail from Colorado, and it takes about 4 days to get to EOCI. Seems like forever cuz then it takes another 4 days or 6 to get a response. In the world of Instant Messaging, it's HARD!

Scott
07-01-2011, 01:14 AM
I mail from Colorado, and it takes about 4 days to get to EOCI. Seems like forever cuz then it takes another 4 days or 6 to get a response. In the world of Instant Messaging, it's HARD!

If you use Microsoft Office, try using the "Barcode" feature available in the Envelop Option. It might cut a day or possibly even two in the time it takes to get there. The envelopes just have to be typed, not hand-written.

gdubs
07-01-2011, 06:13 AM
I'll have to try that Scott. Thanks!

Rslilangel
07-02-2011, 01:39 AM
I send mine from Las Vegas to my husband in EOCI and it takes anywhere from 4-7 days depending on the mail room. I also has a letter get wet and was sent back for a violation which than gets returned to me and takes about 2 weeks to get back so frustrating.

emtjen
05-09-2012, 03:40 PM
yeah I had my mail returned to me from TRCI because I ripped the corner and taped it not thinking.

GRR

emtjen
05-09-2012, 03:41 PM
I live in Illinois but my letters are sent to two rivers, that is where he is and it seems like it takes forever. I will be visiting for he first time in 5 years in the fall. do you have any advice?

Not sure about OSP, but at Two Rivers the mail gets to him pretty much the day it arrives, I've been impressed. When he was in Cali, it could take over a week, so I really am thankful that it is different here.

GingerM
05-10-2012, 05:56 AM
If you use Microsoft Office, try using the "Barcode" feature available in the Envelop Option.

You can also use the "label" print option and print sheets of labels with barcodes on them. If I hadn't already owned a label maker, I would have printed a couple of sheets of labels with barcodes to send him letters. The labels can be purchased at any ol' office supply store. MSWord has the Avery style codes built in, so you can tell it "the paper I'm feeding the printer is Avery 4321, please print to that". A quick Google on "How do I print a whole sheet of one type of label" should get you through it. Then you only have to print labels when you run out, not with each envelope (my printer doesn't like envelopes much).

GingerM
05-10-2012, 05:58 AM
I live in Illinois but my letters are sent to two rivers, that is where he is and it seems like it takes forever. I will be visiting for he first time in 5 years in the fall. do you have any advice?

Emtjen, you may get better/more answers if you post a thread in the visitation forum. I'm afraid I don't have any information about Two Rivers, but I will say that you should definitely read the OAR (Oregon Administrative Rule) about what to wear/not wear.

There are also some posts in the visitation forum about what to wear/not wear and some differences between different facilities that you may find useful.

emtjen
05-10-2012, 05:40 PM
Emtjen, you may get better/more answers if you post a thread in the visitation forum. I'm afraid I don't have any information about Two Rivers, but I will say that you should definitely read the OAR (Oregon Administrative Rule) about what to wear/not wear.

There are also some posts in the visitation forum about what to wear/not wear and some differences between different facilities that you may find useful.

Thank you so much! I am still learning the site. I didn't even know you had responded. Do I get notifications to my profile when someone responds? I read the OAR and don't understand everything. But my lovey just sent me a letter telling me visitation rules. TY again for your response.

GingerM
05-11-2012, 06:46 AM
Thank you so much! I am still learning the site. I didn't even know you had responded. Do I get notifications to my profile when someone responds? I read the OAR and don't understand everything. But my lovey just sent me a letter telling me visitation rules. TY again for your response.

Feel free to post questions. I'd suggest posting each question as a separate thread. If you look far enough back, when I first got involved in all this, I posted a LOT. Everyone was/is very kind in their responses - we all were beginners at some time. I still am, but have a lot of it figured out.

I don't know if there's a setting that you can change so that you get messages about replies to your posts or not. You can click your own name and see where your posts are though. I get about 50 emails per day and didn't want to be spammed with more emails, so I never bothered looking. I just come check whenever I have time - that allows me to look at other people's posts as well and answer where I can.

Gin