View Full Version : How do you find out about Federal charges?

SimplyMe123
05-13-2011, 03:41 PM
My apologies if this has been asked before! My bf's cellie is wondering if he is facing federal charges when he is released from the state penitentiary. He has heard many stories of people not finding out until they are getting ready to go home, and would like to avoid that if possible. He would like to mentally prepare for whatever he is facing. Granted, he has time to do that; he is on year 11 of 20.

Does anyone know how he (or I, on his behalf) can find out if he has pending Federal charges? Thank you!

Paralegal USA
05-13-2011, 06:12 PM
The fastest and easiest way would be to have someone with access to it run him through NCIC (National Crime Information Center). The report would reveal if there are any outstanding charges already filed against him.

SimplyMe123
05-14-2011, 01:52 AM
The fastest and easiest way would be to have someone with access to it run him through NCIC (National Crime Information Center). The report would reveal if there are any outstanding charges already filed against him.

Thank you for the quick reply! I was afraid of that. I am an amateur researcher and normally just look everything up myself. I hate to bother people. Maybe I should change my major to something in the legal profession. ;) My quick internet search had revealed something to that effect, but I was hoping there might be another way.

Is there anyone here with access to NCIC who would be willing to look this up for me please?

bellisq
05-14-2011, 07:51 PM
NCIC is strictly for law enforcement use.

SimplyMe123
05-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Hm... As I look a little further, it appears that bank robbery has a federal statute of limitations of 5 years. Since this occurred in 1999, shouldn't he already know if he'd been charged? Or can they still have "pending" charges against him and not notify him until he is released from state custody?

SimplyMe123
05-14-2011, 08:10 PM
NCIC is strictly for law enforcement use.

Oh, ok... I thought attorneys had access as well. Do you know how else he (or I) can find out if he has pending charges?

bellisq
05-15-2011, 02:08 AM
His BOP jacket will have a detainer if he has pending charges. you can go to a paid website called Pacer.gov. Register, go to the court links for the district where the alleged robbery took place and enter his name. If he has charges, they will show up.

It's not clear to me why he thinks they would wait 13 years to file on a bank robbery. No reason i can think of fits that scenario. Sounds like a guilty conscience is getting the best of him.

SimplyMe123
05-15-2011, 07:11 AM
His BOP jacket will have a detainer if he has pending charges. you can go to a paid website called Pacer.gov. Register, go to the court links for the district where the alleged robbery took place and enter his name. If he has charges, they will show up.

It's not clear to me why he thinks they would wait 13 years to file on a bank robbery. No reason i can think of fits that scenario. Sounds like a guilty conscience is getting the best of him.

Probably is a guilty conscience...:rolleyes: He doesn't deny his crime; he plead guilty. He doesn't know how this works, or the statute of limitations, or anything. He's just heard stories of this happening to other people, and wondered if it could happen to him.

DRUID1208
05-17-2011, 06:53 AM
I would thingk if like in any case if your going to be chared with something they would have to tell you what it is at least i know thats how it works in the trial you might try if you have his info or if one his famly dose you or them calling the bop to find out more if they will not tell you cos your not famly tell him to have his lawer or his famly to do so or even try calling the docs of the state that he thingks he geting chared by best i can do hope this helps