View Full Version : What jobs can you do if your married to a felon?

xobrianaox
04-29-2011, 11:05 AM
Hey everyone,
just have a quick question...can i do something with paralegal if im married to a felon?

ladyelise
04-29-2011, 12:10 PM
Yes you can apply for whatever job you want but I will tell you that when you get into law enforcement, corrections and the legal profession they will ask you are/were you ever married or had children with anyone who has served time in a correctional facility? This is usually pretty standard. It would be best to just tell the truth. Now, I'm not saying that you can't go to law school and be a lawyer and be married to a felon, because you can. But just like any profession it's up to the people hiring you to decide if they will or will not hire you. I say go for it, good luck!

MIKAER
04-29-2011, 12:46 PM
I have a friend that's a highly respected CO, her husband is doing 17 plus years. My guy has a friend who has a prison ministry, that he started up while still in prison, and has been preaching in prisons since he got out.

ChocoholicMom
04-29-2011, 12:54 PM
I think a better question is what job CAN'T you do married to a felon. I'm a lawyer.

xobrianaox
04-29-2011, 02:40 PM
I think a better question is what job CAN'T you do married to a felon. I'm a lawyer.

So what jobs can't I do?

ChocoholicMom
04-29-2011, 02:42 PM
That's my point. There aren't any I can think of.

xobrianaox
04-29-2011, 02:47 PM
i was told that i cannot be married to a felon and work in a government job

SimplyMe123
04-29-2011, 03:01 PM
What kind of government job? Maybe not for the CIA or the Secret Service... but I'm pretty sure you could work for the state government or the V.A. or the U.S.P.S. It really depends on what kind of job you're talking about, and who gave you this information.

xobrianaox
04-29-2011, 03:56 PM
Cant work on the police force

MIKAER
04-29-2011, 03:56 PM
What did you minor in?

GoodBI_girl
04-29-2011, 04:08 PM
What kind of government job? Maybe not for the CIA or the Secret Service... but I'm pretty sure you could work for the state government or the V.A. or the U.S.P.S. It really depends on what kind of job you're talking about, and who gave you this information.

I depends I'm sure if you need a security clearance and at what level, they do a thorough backround check which includes financials and the exes. If you are interested in a specific profession maybe you can ask the recruiter a what if. They may say well a good 90% of those people don't get hired and then you have a ballpark figure.

GoodBI_girl
04-29-2011, 04:13 PM

Any or a specific agency?

xobrianaox
04-29-2011, 04:44 PM
im just trying to figure out what my major should be for college

jenn85345
04-29-2011, 07:27 PM
I work in a legal setting as a court reporter. I have worked in all facets of my profession, from working in federal court all the way down to freelance work, which is what I do now. I hold a Level 1 security clearance, the highest clearance that can be obtained in this state (I went through a state and federal background check), and I'm a notary public. All while my other half is in prison.

So, like chocoholic mom stated, the better question is probably what job can't you do if your spouse/significant other is in prison.

JenZ
04-29-2011, 07:50 PM
i was told that i cannot be married to a felon and work in a government job

I work in the government (State of Arizona Employee) and I will be getting married to my Joe, who is an ex-felon. I have taken an oath to serve the citizens of Arizona and there was NOTHING that said I could not be married or marry an ex-felon! Each state may be different though!

I am a counselor and have had to have background checks up the yin yang . . . I also have Level 1 Security Clearance as well (State and Federal Check), which is the highest level security background check in AZ. No issues with marrying an ex-felon.

jenn85345
04-29-2011, 08:30 PM
I work in the government (State of Arizona Employee) and I will be getting married to my Joe, who is an ex-felon. I have taken an oath to serve the citizens of Arizona and there was NOTHING that said I could not be married or marry an ex-felon! Each state may be different though!

I am a counselor and have had to have background checks up the yin yang . . . I also have Level 1 Security Clearance as well (State and Federal Check), which is the highest level security background check in AZ. No issues with marrying an ex-felon.

Nice to see a fellow Arizonian on the board! :thumbsup:

MIKAER
04-29-2011, 08:45 PM
I consider my relationship to be an asset for the kind of work I wish to do.

Scott
04-30-2011, 03:06 PM

That's not true - you certainly can. Although there are differences between sworn and non-sworn positions. Being a felon would (in all but the rarest of circumstances preclude you from being a sworn officer, although it has happened) - being married to a felon wouldn't effect that at all... assuming you were honest about it - of course...:rolleyes:

The only thing that being married to a felon, (and that would depend on what kind of felony, etc., etc.) might affect would be very high level security clearance.

Scott
04-30-2011, 03:11 PM
im just trying to figure out what my major should be for college

The obvious thing you should be asking isn't what you can do depending on who you're married to, but what is it you're passionate about - or in what area do you feel you have specific gifts?

That's how you determine a major...

And then, to quote Robert Frost, "...knowing how way leads on to way"...be open to exploring other things as new doors of knowledge and understanding are open to you in the process of your educational journey.

None of that has anything to do with who you're married to, unless you're Catherine Middleton...and even SHE seeks likely not to conform to the expectations of others...

rdgpunx
05-02-2011, 05:24 AM
I am a nurse (RN) and I work in a prison 35 miles from my mans prison.... I just had to tell the warden. I could work at the same prison, just not on his yard. problem with that is when rumor gets you are married to an inmate.... everyone looks at you like your gunna do shady shit. So keep your personal life between you, the warden and your man.... but thats too hard to do if you come work and visit at the same Prison!

samantha_olivei
05-02-2011, 01:20 PM
My original major in college was forensic biology. During some of my classes, they told us over and over again that you can't be involved with ANYONE who has been charged with a felony or anyone who is associated with a gang. Somebody in one of my classes applied for an internship and she got denied because her landlord is a known Hells Angel. That wasn't even for a paid position! They told her that she had to move or she wouldn't be able to get the internship. Someone else that I know applied for an internship but got denied because her dad had a felony conviction about 5 years before she was born. They told her that she had to stop associating herself with her dad before they would hire her. I switched majors because of that reason. My boyfriend is a registered sex offender and I know that I wouldn't be able to get a job in the forensics field. I was thinking about changing my major to paralegal studies but i'm worried about not being able to get a job in that career as well.

Scott
05-02-2011, 01:38 PM
My original major in college was forensic biology. During some of my classes, they told us over and over again that you can't be involved with ANYONE who has been charged with a felony or anyone who is associated with a gang. Somebody in one of my classes applied for an internship and she got denied because her landlord is a known Hells Angel. That wasn't even for a paid position! They told her that she had to move or she wouldn't be able to get the internship. Someone else that I know applied for an internship but got denied because her dad had a felony conviction about 5 years before she was born. They told her that she had to stop associating herself with her dad before they would hire her. I switched majors because of that reason. My boyfriend is a registered sex offender and I know that I wouldn't be able to get a job in the forensics field. I was thinking about changing my major to paralegal studies but i'm worried about not being able to get a job in that career as well.

I'm sorry - but someone needs to talk to a lawyer about whoever is teaching your classes...that's SERIOUS lawsuit material. And if the actual reason for denying someone an internship was about who her landlord is??? No public agency is going to put themselves at that kind of liability risk.

Very serious civil rights violations. Spoke with a friend of mine who works in the local CSI office (and is a supervisor). Read your post to them. They laughed and actually didn't think it was serious - it's so far off base.

Then, they asked if it was one of those "vocational colleges"... and they said the quality of instructors at some of those places could easily explain the lack of actual knowledge.

Sorry - but such broad base, blanket preclusions based on the moral character of who you associate with violates so many Federal Employment and Civil Rights Rules as to be actually humorous.

If this is a serious concern to you, please consult an attorney in your area just to put your mind at rest.

samantha_olivei
05-02-2011, 01:47 PM
I'm sorry - but someone needs to talk to a lawyer about whoever is teaching your classes...that's SERIOUS lawsuit material. And if the actual reason for denying someone an internship was about who her landlord is??? No public agency is going to put themselves at that kind of liability risk.

Very serious civil rights violations. Spoke with a friend of mine who works in the local CSI office (and is a supervisor). Read your post to them. They laughed and actually didn't think it was serious - it's so far off base.

Then, they asked if it was one of those "vocational colleges"... and they said the quality of instructors at some of those places could easily explain the lack of actual knowledge.

Sorry - but such broad base, blanket preclusions based on the moral character of who you associate with violates so many Federal Employment and Civil Rights Rules as to be actually humorous.

If this is a serious concern to you, please consult an attorney in your area just to put your mind at rest.

Well my teachers have been the forensics field and I'm just going off of what they told me. So it's illegal for them to deny someone based on who they know? I didn't understand why they deny someone for that reason. It would make sense if I was the one with the felony conviction... I think I'm going to look into that.

inlovewithj
05-03-2011, 09:24 PM
Well, I can only speak from my personal experience, but I was a police officer and had a friend that was charged with a felony and I wasn't allowed to associate with him. The friend had the charges later dropped and then I was allowed to associate with him. His brother was also a police officer in my department and he was told if he had any contact with his own brother he would be immediately fired. Crazy! This was a small town and they tend to make their own rules, though.

Scott
05-03-2011, 11:53 PM
Well, I can only speak from my personal experience, but I was a police officer and had a friend that was charged with a felony and I wasn't allowed to associate with him. The friend had the charges later dropped and then I was allowed to associate with him. His brother was also a police officer in my department and he was told if he had any contact with his own brother he would be immediately fired. Crazy! This was a small town and they tend to make their own rules, though.

Even Portland, Oregon (my city) there is a policy about ongoing relationships between police and "felons", but the bottom line is whether everyone is upfront and honest about the situation.

The two big issues are "judgement" and whether a reasonable person would feel that a particular relationship reflects a pattern of good judgement - and the firearms issue, since felons really can't live anyplace where there are firearms and this is a pretty hard and fast rule with very little wiggle room.

It's a complex topic with a lot of nuanced responses.