View Full Version : Getting married while the inmate is in Federal prison

suechapman5
04-28-2011, 07:35 AM
This may sound a very silly question ( sorry) but can i marry someone in a federal prison while they are still in prison without being on his visitors list? Hes saying I can? He wants us to get married at our first meeting? which seems very odd ? I dont know if ive posted this in the right place or need to put it on the federal prison pages ? but does anyone know ? because my heads :idea: although i think i already know the answer or does that mean because hes spoke to the chaplain i would go onto his list thanks and sorry if this question sounds insane :eek:

english2791
04-28-2011, 07:45 AM
Its your lucky day...lol i just got married in federal prison 3 weeks ago.First of all they will only marry you twice a year May and November this year it was April 5th.As to being on his visiting list i would think you would have to be when you arrive for the ceremony i had to fill out a visiting form like usual.You have to be approved by the warden and also you have to get a marriage license according to the state rules i was married in SC in the only county that allows an affidavit from the groom most states want both of you to be present to pick up the license.It took us 11 months to get married he needed a ss card and he didn't have one in his file some people manage it in 3 months.You can message me if i can help you further.

english2791
04-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Oh Sue i noticed your from England i am too but i have a green card and have lived here over 30 years.

suechapman5
04-28-2011, 07:53 AM
Oh Sue i noticed your from England i am too but i have a green card and have lived here over 30 years.

hi yes i know ive just seen im in england i thought he was lying i have messaged you in your inbox keep in touch plz and thanks so much for your response :thumbsup:

Erics4ever
04-28-2011, 08:19 AM
It depends on where he is as to how often they do weddings. Where mine is they do them every 3 months. It would be best to call where he is and find out. You will have to complete a visitor form/be approved. You will also have to complete marriage application/be approved. Then you will have to get the license, check with the county clerk for their requirements.

english2791
04-28-2011, 08:21 AM
Eric are you sure? the feds only do them twice a year

Erics4ever
04-28-2011, 08:40 AM
Yes I am sure. I spoke with the Chaplin recently and was given a choice of when I wanted to do it since I have to arrange to be able to fly over there. Where mine is they do it every 3 months. I see you had to get a ss card, but I didn't have to so I guess different places do things differently. Where he is the next ceremony is tomorrow, then July 29 and then October.

english2791
04-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Well must be because of the warden because the regs state twice a year

suechapman5
04-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Well must be because of the warden because the regs state twice a year
thanks to you both for your responses hes in fci manchester kentucky hes seeing his team today but thank you both will let you know :thumbsup:

suechapman5
04-28-2011, 01:04 PM
thanks to you both for your responses hes in fci manchester kentucky hes seeing his team today but thank you both will let you know :thumbsup:
ps i found out that i do have to be on his visitors list he phoned me earlier to say he had sent the forms his email said different but thank you :angry: