View Full Version : How do you get a current balance for restitution/court costs?

~*~His Bella~*~
04-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Figured I'd see if someone on here can help me since his PO and the county court can't. I am trying to get my bf's restitution and court costs paid off or down as far as possible before he gets out, since he will have maybe a month to pay it once he gets out or run the risk of VOP. His PO told me she has no access to the balance and referred me to the county court. They told me they only have access to the balance of the court costs, and that Tallahassee divides the payments they receive between court and probation fees. So far, the court has received none of the money from his payments, so I can only assume probation has gotten all of it. But if I'm going to start paying, how can I get a current balance so I know when it's paid off, and to make sure the payments are actually being applied? :confused:

amickeyfan
04-27-2011, 07:31 PM
First get a copy of his most recent statement from him. He should have that. That will show what has been paid so far. It won't show the break down, but will show the total paid out from his check. Then "you" call Tally or email them with thru the contacts I gave you on the other posts. Give them the figure you got from him that has been taken from his checks and ask them where has the money been applied. Don't have him do it, you do it. tell them that you need to know the breakdown since the County isn't reflecting any payments made yet & "you know there have been some". :thumbsup:

~*~His Bella~*~
04-27-2011, 07:37 PM
he's still rotting away in county :( Hopefully he goes to a camp so he can start paying on it, but in the mean time I'm paying what I can. I have his initial payment schedule from court, but he kept no record of what he sent in while he was out. Yes, that's something we will be working on once he is home...lol. I'm a big record keeper for instances just like this.

NAN425
04-30-2011, 06:13 PM
Why would going to a camp mean he could start paying on it? :confused:

~*~His Bella~*~
04-30-2011, 06:32 PM
Why would going to a camp mean he could start paying on it? :confused:

I thought if they worked they automatically took restitution/court fees/etc out of their pay?

NAN425
04-30-2011, 07:03 PM
There are only like two jobs in DOC that inmates get paid for (Barber and Canteen operator, I think). They don't get paid for working at anything else unless they get one of the rare jobs in the PRIDE program at a facility that has that program.

So no I wouldn't anticipate that he will be getting paid for working in DOC, unfortunately.

~*~His Bella~*~
04-30-2011, 07:18 PM
I'm sorry. I've read so many posts about problems with their pay and what not, I just assumed they did. I'll get the hang of this one day...lol

NAN425
04-30-2011, 07:34 PM
No problem...this is all confusing. Especially at first when everything is new all at once. :)

The problems with the pay you are reading about here on the Florida forum is in work release, not work camp. In work release, they work a real job for a regular employer and get paid by that employer like all the other employees. But they have to turn their checks over to DOC to be held and have certain expenses, etc deducted from them.

MarGrits
04-30-2011, 07:44 PM
No problem...this is all confusing. Especially at first when everything is new all at once. :)

The problems with the pay you are reading about here on the Florida forum is in work release, not work camp. In work release, they work a real job for a regular employer and get paid by that employer like all the other employees. But they have to turn their checks over to DOC to be held and have certain expenses, etc deducted from them.

What's the difference between work camp and work force? How can/how is someone eligible for it? (Totally confused now…)

wifeofMichael
05-01-2011, 02:04 PM
Work Camp and work release? I think that's what you mean. A work camp is prison. But they go out the fence as a DOT squad or similar. You'll see them in their blues working on the side of the road or cleaning up in town. Work Release they find outside employment, pay the center 45% to 55% of their income, restitution comes out of it, money goes to savings and they live on the rest. They get furloughs.

wifeofMichael
05-01-2011, 02:05 PM
RexChic,

Are you using the yellow slips? His po can, in fact, give you a breakdown. Or him. Not sure if she'll give it to you since you are not married. But she definitely has the restitution balance.

~*~His Bella~*~
05-01-2011, 02:41 PM
RexChic,

Are you using the yellow slips? His po can, in fact, give you a breakdown. Or him. Not sure if she'll give it to you since you are not married. But she definitely has the restitution balance.

Yes on the yellow cards. And she claimed she had no access to his balance :confused: She said I had to call the county court because they would be the only ones to have it. They, of course, only have access to his court costs, and were able to tell me Tallahassee has sent them none of the money from his payments he made while out

MarGrits
05-01-2011, 02:50 PM
ok, so how do they get work release? I didn't know there was a difference. I'm pretty sure he's getting sent to a work camp (or said his PD), and I thought he was to be paid for THAT. Is it a court set or eligibility deal? I swear just when I think I'm understanding things…

NAN425
05-02-2011, 08:26 PM
ok, so how do they get work release? I didn't know there was a difference. I'm pretty sure he's getting sent to a work camp (or said his PD), and I thought he was to be paid for THAT. Is it a court set or eligibility deal? I swear just when I think I'm understanding things…

His PD couldn't have told you where he was being sent...only DOC gets to decide that. Even judges only have so much input (like ordering substance abuse programs). His PD might have tried to give you an idea of what he thought would happen based on what is typical...but they just don't know.

Work release - there are a whole huge set of criteria that guys have to meet (custody level, time they have left on their sentence, medical status, etc) and then they can apply through classification. There are huge threads here about it.

wifeofMichael
05-05-2011, 05:34 PM
The PDs almost always tell them they will go to a work camp. They lie. And work camps don't pay you cash. You are being housed. If he qualifies then he can eventually be sent to work release. Then he will have sixty days to find a job or go back to prison.

~*~His Bella~*~
05-31-2011, 04:16 PM
Figured I'd post here instead of creating a new thread. I just received my receipt for the 2nd payment I have made for my bf since he went in. The first receipt gave a break down of where the money went, buit no balances. This time, it gives prior balances of each item, but has a * next to the payment amount which at the bottom says "payment < required amount". It also says "Note: Part of payment may not be disbursed". I don't have the balance from before this payment, so I can't compare anything. Does anyone have the phone # or email address I can contact in regards to where the payments he sent last year went, and why this receipt says part of my payment can't be disbursed??

amickeyfan
05-31-2011, 06:33 PM
Work Camp and work release? I think that's what you mean. A work camp is prison. But they go out the fence as a DOT squad or similar. You'll see them in their blues working on the side of the road or cleaning up in town. Work Release they find outside employment, pay the center 45% to 55% of their income, restitution comes out of it, money goes to savings and they live on the rest. They get furloughs.

Dawn... I think they have changed how much they charge at a WRC now.. their site has this....

Subsistence is 55% at all work release facilities

I am not sure when this changed, and I am not sure if it means that the private are still at 55% or if they went to 65%.. I have to ask my son to look at his statements when I talk to him, that is if I remember ;) I am thinking that he is at 65% because we were figuring out after his subsistence, his 10% to fines and 10% to the trust fund, that leaves him with 15% of his pay.. so I do think privates are at 65%... I could be wrong...and I think I am.. lol I just read the new rules as of "Aug 2010" stated all facilities are at 55%... I have no clue where we got that 65%....lol

wifeofMichael
05-31-2011, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I heard they were going to 55% across the board. My hubby got out Aug. 2, 2010 so it did not apply.

Bella, his PO is either lying or an idiot. She does have access to what his current restitution balance is. It will most likely include po costs. Not sure how to get a breakdown. They really need to create a database that people can access to check. I dislike not having a running balance sheet each month and my hubby forgets to ask for one. I'll be requesting one when he is at one year myself as I have the man's email.

amickeyfan
06-01-2011, 07:56 PM
Yeah, I heard they were going to 55% across the board. My hubby got out Aug. 2, 2010 so it did not apply.

Bella, his PO is either lying or an idiot. She does have access to what his current restitution balance is. It will most likely include po costs. Not sure how to get a breakdown. They really need to create a database that people can access to check. I dislike not having a running balance sheet each month and my hubby forgets to ask for one. I'll be requesting one when he is at one year myself as I have the man's email.

that's right.. he just missed it then... :) and yes, I agree, the PO's have access to what the balance is.. she may just be not wanting to deal with it.. maybe Bella's next step is to go over her head.. to the PO's supervisor????

~*~His Bella~*~
06-01-2011, 08:10 PM
I have his initial breakdown sheet of each amount and what it was for. I compared the "prior balance" on this last receipt I got to those original balances. That's how I found out the payments he sent last year were never applied. I know he sent them because I saw the money orders. He just doesn't remember where the stubs are, and it's hard to find stuff when he isn't here. He's missing at least $500 in payments :confused: Hopefully once he is out, I can go see his PO with him in the beginning and maybe get this figured out.