View Full Version : Cabana returning to corrections as Parchman superintendent

Amy
04-05-2004, 05:15 PM
EMILY WAGSTER PETTUS
Associated Press

JACKSON, Miss. - Donald Cabana will return to the Department of Corrections as superintendent of the maximum security Mississippi State Penitentiary at Parchman.

Corrections Commissioner Christopher Epps said Monday that Cabana will start May 1 at Parchman and will replace Michael Wilson, who has accepted a job in correctional care at the University of Texas medical branch.

Cabana is chairman of the Department of Criminal Justice at the University of Southern Mississippi. He also is a former Mississippi corrections commissioner and is a former warden of Parchman. The prison's top job was once called warden and is now called superintendent.

"Following 12 years in academia, corrections is my first love and Parchman holds a special place in my heart," Cabana said in a news release. "I look forward to the challenges and the opportunities that those challenges hold."

Cabana has a 32-year career in criminal justice and has held administrative jobs in Missouri, Florida and Mississippi prisons.

He worked for the Mississippi Department of Corrections from 1972-78 and 1983-91. At Parchman, Cabana will oversee about 1,560 employees.

Epps said Cabana is respected among corrections officials.

"As MDOC continues to move forward, we are extremely fortunate to obtain the services of a person with Dr. Cabana's demonstrated ability," Epps said in a written statement.

Ron Welch of Jackson, a prisoners' rights attorney, said Cabana's experience will help the Department of Corrections.

"He sure knows the territory and the people," Welch said Monday. "I don't think Chris Epps would've picked him if he didn't. Hands down, (Epps) is the best commissioner across the board that we've had."