View Full Version : Home Plans Info/Questions here

cowgirl34609
04-30-2007, 07:07 PM
My BF is supposed to go to the board Nov 5. I am really confused. I thought he was supposed to have his home plan ready 60 days prior to the parole board meetinig. I spoke to him on the phone and he said his counsellor told him that he isn't supposed to have it until after he is granted parole. I am really confused, as I thought the board has to approve his home plan????? He is in St. Marys. Does anyone know the correct answer to this?

justvicki
04-30-2007, 08:12 PM
When I paroled in 2003 I had to have my home plan completed and the facility had to have it to the local parole office 60 days before my parole date. My home plan was approved before I saw the board and when I was granted parole I was able to leave that same day. It's hard to believe they would hold inmates after they had made parole until a home plan had been approved. Call your local parole office. They should be able to tell you the answer.

Good luck!

Daveswife
04-30-2007, 09:13 PM
My hubby just went up on March. They did not do any home plans before that.

justvicki
05-01-2007, 01:37 AM
Wow - then does that mean they are held until a home plan is approved? That can take weeks sometime or are they releasing without an approved home plan. That's certainly something new.

Daveswife
05-02-2007, 11:03 AM
I don't know...I know from someone that got it that day they told him it would take 14-30 days for him to get out. I won't know until Jan what the hecks going on with that.

justvicki
05-02-2007, 02:05 PM
I guess since the board turns so many inmates down (unfortunately) when they go before them the parole officers who do the home checks and have to approve the plan, don't do them until parole has been granted now. I do know they didn't keep them on file so each time the inmate went up, they had to check out the home plan again.

Just my opinion (as someone who paroled) even though you know you are leaving, I think it sucks to have to wait 14-30 plus days after you have paroled to go home!!! Between this, the board not granting parole, and judges not taking advantage of the alternative sentencing options that are available to them, no wonder our loved ones and friends are stacked up like cord wood and the system is "overcrowded'. :confused:

WVMOM2005
05-02-2007, 04:56 PM
My cousin made parole and it took about 3 weeks after that before he got to go home........

justvicki
05-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Glad he got to go....sorry he had to wait! I can still remember how I felt the day I paroled. From being granted parole to being released was 3 hours. Wouldn't have taken that long, but we had to wait for count to clear! :) :)

Daveswife
05-02-2007, 09:01 PM
I agree with ya Vicki...it sucks that they have to wait. Glad you didn't though.

wva tessa
05-05-2007, 06:07 AM
my son was paroled from mcdowell county jail on march 18th 2007. Its now april 6th and he is still waiting. His home plan has been approved for north carolina, and they said all they are waiting on is the realease papers. One person in charleston tells us 60 days, the lady at the parole hearing says 10 days, his parole officer in north carolina says about 4 months!!! Does anyone have the true answer?

justvicki
05-05-2007, 10:58 AM
What a mess and how unfair! Since he is paroling out of state it can take up to four months with Interstate Compact to be approved so that is probably what his PO in NC and the Central Office in Charleston are referring to. Did the board know his home plan was out of state? If they did, I can't imagine why they would say it only takes 10 days for an Interstate Compact Agreement to be approved. On the other hand, nothing the board does should surprise me, but it always does.

I'm sorry you are having to wait so long. Hopefully he will be home with you soon. Good luck!

KennysBabyGirlW
05-28-2007, 07:39 PM
My boyfriend is at Stevens. He was telling me that some of his boys made parole months ago and are still waiting to be released due to hold up with the homeplans.

justvicki
05-28-2007, 10:40 PM
Yep, that's the way it is now. Official word is home plans should take 10 days to 2 week to be approved, but we all know that's not the case.

BryantsBabygirl
05-31-2007, 10:01 AM
i can feel everyones pain here...when paroling out of state i know it takes 3 mos... we tried that... we tried and in state plan to a half way house in p-burg... got denied b.c of administration probs at the half way house... we tried a home plan to his step dads.. denied not blood family.. his blood family wouldve been a hella of a long shot... he finally made it to beckley work release... where now im still waiting to see him....he has to wait 90 days before he can furlow anywhere....he made it there may 14th so hopefully something breaks here soon...the thing that i hate is the fact that at beckley you cant start working immediately.. you have to do community service then work at the work release then get a job but they dont provide them with anything... i had to send my boyfriend things from food to a blanket...

justvicki
05-31-2007, 11:09 AM
How messed up is the system that they have to send someone who has been paroled to a work release center, taking a bed that someone who is still at a DOC facility would be eligible for. I've seen it happen over and over and over again. It's unfair to everyone.

Good luck. Hope you get to see him soon!

BryantsBabygirl
06-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Its very unfair.. i stated in a post before that im glad he made parole on the first itme up but this is out of hand. he is tellin me all the things he has to pay for and how right now there charging rent and he is 400 dollars in the hole.. im buying him clothes and food and all kinds of things to keep his head above water but then they tell him he cant work for two more weeks how do they expect people to go to work release and maintain and not have a job. to beat all he has savings from his previous facility and he cant have that til he is officially paroled out. so technically he made parole and is in work release taking a bed away from a doc inmate struggling while he could be out working staying with his step dad who wouldve passed the home plan. its crazy

justvicki
06-05-2007, 12:06 PM
It is unfair on so many levels. It never fails to amaze me how screwed up the system is.

I hope things start looking up soon! Good luck!

wvjavajunkie
07-11-2007, 08:41 PM
does anyone know the rules of a home plan to get approved in w.v.

justvicki
07-12-2007, 11:19 AM
There can be no alcohol or weapons of any type in the home - period. You cannot parole to a girlfriend or fiancee - you must be married. The home must have adequate living space for an additional person. Also, there has to be a good support system in place, which includes financial support.

There are a lot different things that factor into getting a home plan approved, but these are a few of them.

peppysm
07-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Do they come and inspect the home? Cause hopefully David will get paroled next month:) I hope and pray and we dont drink and have no firearms in our home! So hope and pray he gets out then:).....Sheila

justvicki
07-14-2007, 04:23 PM
Yes, the PO does a home inspection.

kjk2gether
07-14-2007, 05:39 PM
They don't come out till after approval though....do they vicki?

justvicki
07-14-2007, 06:18 PM
No, the PO visits the home as part of the approval process. They are the ones who does the "investigation" of the home plan.

kjk2gether
07-14-2007, 07:01 PM
Oh I get it...I thought they didn't do home plans till after they were approved parole....but they kinda plan one and have the home visit and then go for parole and then send in home plan...do i got it right now?

justvicki
07-14-2007, 08:25 PM
LOL I think I confused the issue. The home plan is investigated by the parole office after the inmate makes parole, and that is when the PO makes a home visit.

When you said after approval I thought you were referring to approval of the home plan, but I think you meant after parol was approved.

Sorry! :)

kjk2gether
07-15-2007, 08:45 AM
That's what i meant sorry should have been more clear. Thanks for the info!

Daveswife
07-23-2007, 01:56 PM
From what hubby hears...they are going to start approving home plans before parole hearings again (at least at Stevens). I hope so!

Morgantown
11-02-2007, 04:50 PM
My nephew is scheduled to see the parole board on Dec 30. A counselor came to him today and said she wanted to help him put together his home plan. He was surprised because he thought this would be something he would initiate on his own. In addition the counselor told him his parole hearing was moved up to Dec 3 (instead of the 30th). The other inmates told my nephew that they have never seen that -- where the counselor would approach the inmate to start the paperwork for the home plan. My nephew is now thinking that this means he will definitely be paroled. Is this possible (that the parole board would have decided he should be paroled even before he sees them)? Or is he just being overly optimistic as to what this all means?? Any insight anyone has on this would be appreciated. If it matters, my nephew is at Northern Correctional Center -- has been there about a month -- and has served 1 year of a 1-to-15 sentence.

justvicki
11-02-2007, 05:20 PM
In my experience, its not at all unusual for a counselor/unit manager/IPO to work with an inmate on their home plan as they are the one who provides the inmate with the packet that needs to be completed and submitted to the locate parole office. I'm surprised that other inmates would be surprised about a counselor/unit manager/IPO approaching someone about their home plan as that is a part of what they do.

As far as the change of date for the parole hearing is concerned, my best guess would be that it was changed from the 30th to the 3rd because of the holidays.

I hope things go well for him. Good luck!

Morgantown
11-02-2007, 06:11 PM
thanks Vicki! You really are an angel! My nephew has been incarcerated for over a year now. During that time, whenever I have needed info you are always there -- with a quick response and good advice or direction. Bless you, and thank you for doing this. It is a great comfort to the family.

justvicki
11-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Glad I could be of some help. Hopefully he will be home soon - maybe for Christmas!!!!

jenjonick
11-02-2007, 08:16 PM
I've been in the Oklahoma prison system and it's very common for the counselors to do "home offers" before the parole hearing. They want to know where the inmate will be living and who they will be living with, living conditions, background checks on any other individuals that might be living in the house too, if they have a job lined up, etc. Best wishes and good luck!!!

freedom07
11-10-2007, 06:25 PM
I'm sorry a counselor does initiate the home plan process. No, truly he does not have even time in a doc facility. He needs alot of classes before he will be granted parole.

justvicki
11-10-2007, 11:12 PM
Northern Correctional is a DOC facility. The WVDOC leases a portion of the Northern Regional Jail facility and houses their inmates there. The classes that he needs are determined by his classification process and even in some cases, the sentencing judge. While time on prison ground is often considered by the parole board along with classes taken, it is not always the determining factor for parole to be granted. In 2001 while I was waiting for transferred to DOC ground before I saw the board I received a letter from then chairman, F. Douglas Stump in which he stated that lack of time "prison" time and classes unequivocally could not be sited as reasons for not making parole if the DOC had not transferred the inmate in a timely manner in order to meet those requirements.

WVMOM2005
12-11-2007, 02:38 PM
Could someone tell me about the home plans? How long are they at your house? Does everyone have to have separate bedrooms ? For what reasons would they deny a home plan? What are they looking for?

justvicki
12-12-2007, 12:15 AM
How long the PO actually stays at the house varies. I've known them to be there less than 15 minutes - others have stayed over an hour.

They will evaluate how many people will be living at the residence and whether or not they feel there is enough room. In my case, I paroled to my sister's home. She only had two bedrooms - one for her and one for my niece. My sister re-arranged the bedrooms so that she and I shared the larger one with twin beds and my adolescent niece kept her room. The PO approved that.

They will deny a home plan if they feel the environment is not stable or supportive. They will also deny it if they feel there are not adequate financial means to support the parolee until he is able to find employment.

There cannot be any weapons of any type in the home. There also cannot be any alcohol. I have also known of them denying a HP if there is someone in the home on large amounts of prescription pain medication or sedatives if the parolee has a past history of drug abuse.

What they want to see is a stable environment for the inmate to parole to. Most home plans are approved. Sometimes adjustments have to be made, as in my case, the PO was somewhat concerned that my niece would have to give up her bedroom. The are some absolute do's and don'ts, but a lot of them will work with you.

Good luck!

WVMOM2005
12-18-2007, 02:22 PM
Does the house have to be in the parents name for the inmate to be able to parole home to it ?For instance if I were to live with a boyfriend, could my son parole home to me at his house??????

justvicki
12-18-2007, 02:57 PM
Hmmm, good question. My first response is that he would have be paroling to your boyfriend since he is the owner/leasee of the residence. I am not sure, however, if it would even be an issue, though. Your son might want to check with his IPO, institutional parole officer, regarding that.

wvjavajunkie
01-17-2008, 05:32 AM
home plan question... my boyfriend and i wanna get married before his parole hearing in april. we cannt find anyone to marry us at huttonsville. could a home plan be approved for my home if we were to plan to marry upon his release date?

justvicki
01-17-2008, 09:10 AM
No. WV inmates cannot parole to significant others, fiancees. etc. You must be married.

Have you talked to the Chaplain at the Hut about getting married and completed the necessary paper work

wvjavajunkie
01-17-2008, 09:21 AM
the chaplain has all our paperwork except for the preacher one which i don't have someone willing to do the ceremony

BRIAN'S GIRL
01-17-2008, 10:00 AM
you can ge married if you call that one women io told you about from dunbar but she's going to charge you at least two hundred dollars i was going to use her but i ended up not having to since he was transferred to huttonsville, the only other opinion you will have is to maybe call the chaplain at denmar his last name is moore and see if you pay him to travel to huttonsville to preform the marriage otherwise he is going to have to parole out to another person or a half way house i believe the lady who was going to marry me and my husband was listed in the yellow pages under the wedding chaple and don't even ask the local churches in that area to marry the two if you cause it just won't happen at all they will flat out tell you no so try her or chaplain moore at denmar he's the nicest person when your dealing with trying to get married in the wv doc system

justvicki
01-18-2008, 04:40 PM
Did you ask the Chaplain at Huttonsville if he would do the ceremony or if he could recommend someone?

Bonnie
01-18-2008, 11:23 PM
That was my thought too Vicki, to ask the Chaplin at HCC. When I worked at MOCC, the chaplin there did the ceremonies... I'd call and talk to him!!!

Turn~Around
03-18-2008, 02:24 PM
Can anyone tell me..................
where I can get information whether a home plan is to be approved
Prior to seeing the parole board?
I have contacted the local parole office, the institution
and parole services in Charleston.
I have had no luck, everyone has different answers.
Right now they will Not do the after work till after he sees the Parole Board

justvicki
03-18-2008, 04:36 PM
That is correct (99.9% of the time). Because the percentage of inmates who were being granted parole was so low, about 18 months ago (maybe longer) the process changed. Now home plans are not sent to the local parole office until after the inmate has made actually been granted parole. Some facilities complete the paper work before hand (and hold it), others don't. The time line for getting a home plan approved after making parole can be anywhere from two weeks to 90 days, and the inmate remains incarcerated on "pocket parole" until they are released.

It is possible, that since the percentages of parole being granted is higher now than it has been in years, that the process could reverse and home plans would once again be submitted 30-90 days before the parole hearing. However, the system does not seem to move in a hurry when it involves change.

Turn~Around
03-31-2008, 04:00 AM
Thanks Vicki I haven't gave up yet, after all if its in the process of being changed and if some facilities already do the home plans first, why not change it now, and all facilities do it prior too the hearing? After all don't we pay taxes?

Bonnie
06-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Hey everyone!!!

Ive been reading a lot of posts about the changes in parole procedures here in WV and what they are doing about it. My husband sent me this Memo that was received on his unit on May 23, 2008 from Chairman Dennis W. Foreman of the parole services. It was sent to a lot of different people so I will save time by just getting to the meat of the situation..........

"WV CODE 62-12-13 (4) states "Has submitted to the board a written parole release plan setting forth proposed plans for his or her place of residence, employment and, if appropriate, his or her plans regarding education and postrelease counseling and treatment, the parole release plan having been approvedby the commisioner of corrections or his or her authorized representative".

Therefore, effective June 1, 2008, the West Virginia Parole Board will only interview parole eligible inmates with APPROVED home plans. Any inmate without an approved home plan will be given a FURTHER CONSIDERATION by the board.

Approved home plans must be submitted to the Parole Board at least one week prior to the parole interview. This is to ensure that the inmate's victims and families do not attend unnecessarily.

THE END!!! (That is my statement.. LOL.. It wasn't in the memo!)

I hope this helps you all. Now we know the rest of the story!!!

Take care,
Bonnie

justvicki
06-06-2008, 06:00 PM
Wow! Another change! Thanks, Bonnie, for the official notice. I can't help but wonder how this is going to be received by the inmates. It's certainly going to put pressure on the IPO's and receiving PO's to get those plans completed, submitted and approved again. We had to have ours done ahead of time also, but if they hadn't been approved before our parole hearing date we would just have to wait for discharge until they were. Setting off the date for an unapproved plan is interesting indeed.

Just another reminder, that while WV does grant parole to its inmates, it is very much a privilege and not an entitlement.

Bonnie
06-06-2008, 08:34 PM
that is very true Vicki, it is a priveledge and not an entitlement. So true.. Norman told me the other day that they hardley granted any paroles out at HCC this month. They Had them last week I believe.. I will ask him to make sure and if I am wrong, I'll correct myself on here, but I seem to recall he said only SIX made parole because of this new policy.

I have the origional MEMO in my posession so if anyone would like to see a real copy of it, i will scan it and email it to whomever needs a copy.

He told me that, and I'm thinking WHAT NOW??? They were giving paroles out really well there for a while but now since June 1, if you home plan isnt' approved you don't even get to see them, and to me, further consideration would mean at least waiting another month if not longer since they only come once a month... that could offset someone for months!!!

Oh and how the inmates are receiving this.. they are highly upset over it!!! Norman said they were irate to say the least. What can a person do???

The WV DOC never ceases to amaze me!!!!

Bonnie
06-06-2008, 08:42 PM
Darn, forgot something else, when I worked in the system, the inmates at MOCC submitted home plans a month in advance so there was time for the IPO's and PO's to get them ready and approve them so there would be time if their plan was not approved... I cannot see ONE WEEK being enough time to get anything done. It seems the imates, IMO, which isn't much, is being set up for a fall... I don't like that at all!!!! Mine will NEVER see the parole board under this rule!!! It's almost near impossible for him to find a home plan. The last time he was up for parole, he was approved, and it took me THREE Months to find him placement, even though he discharged his sentence in SIX, he still wanted that parole, and broke it in two weeks when he found out he'd be on parole for at least a year, so he would be sent back and discharge in three months. He went AWOL and got drunk from the center he was staying at... what to do???

The more I think about this, the more Irate I am getting.. I feel like an inmate!!!!! LOL

Bonnie
06-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Turn Around, I posted a new message about the changes in the Home plan process The process has indeed been changed as of June 1, 2008. I don't know when your loved one was suppose to be up for parole if it even pertains to you konw, but Good luck just the same..

Take care

justvicki
06-06-2008, 10:26 PM
And because it's a privilege they can change the rules and regs about home plans and when inmates are seen and the inmates have very little, if any, recourse.

A week before definitely isn't enough time. Mine was filed 60 days before my hearing date and took 30 to finalize and approve. Because of that I was fortunate enough to go home the day I paroled.

Its going to be interesting to see how this new process clogs up the system.

MissingMyDaniel
06-07-2008, 12:45 AM
Is there an expiration date on the homeplans that are approved? If a homeplan is approved but the inmate is denied parole, is that plan still acceptable the following year or does a new one have to be approved?

justvicki
06-07-2008, 01:26 AM
Depends on the amount of time between hearings, however, in most cases the home plan has to be resubmitted in case situations and circumstances have changed in the interim.

robs_angel
06-08-2008, 02:46 PM
Wow there us alot of things useful here

http://law.justia.com/westvirginia/codes/62/wvc62-12-13.html

MissingMyDaniel
06-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Wow there us alot of things useful here

http://law.justia.com/westvirginia/codes/62/wvc62-12-13.html

What does that have to do with homeplans? Looks like it has more to do with parole eligibility.

Bonnie
06-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Some of the stuff that was in that Memo is NOT in this code. I am glad she posted it, because there are things in there I did not know. It is not in there that the parole board has the right to give a further consideration if your home plan is not approved in advance. That wa sin the memo, and I was wondering to myself today what could the inamtes do about this. say if they were to FILE GRIEVANCES against it since it is NOT in the state code that I saw, unless I over looked it wh ich is possible since I am half blind and OLD!! ROFL

Anyway, thanks everyone!!!
Bonnie

justvicki
06-08-2008, 05:54 PM
The code is very vague when it comes to home plans.....

(4) Has submitted to the board a written parole release plan setting forth proposed plans for his or her place of residence, employment and, if appropriate, his or her plans regarding education and post-release counseling and treatment, the parole release plan having been approved by the Commissioner of Corrections or his or her authorized representative;

I can't find where it mentions a timeline for this to be done, so that gives the board some very broad powers about when home plans are submitted and approved. Also the board it notorious to see inmate following month, or even longer, because "not all of the paperwork was completed" at the time of their orginally scheduled hearing. It seems that approved home plans are now falling under that same excuse.

BRIAN'S GIRL
06-10-2008, 10:04 AM
what they are doing is first getting the home planned approved first before the inmates scheduled parole hearing

justvicki
06-10-2008, 11:09 AM
That is what was done until about 18 months ago, then they changed it and plans were not even submitted until after the inmate had made parole. Effective 6/1/08 if a home plan is still not approved one week before the inmates hearing date their hearing is postponed. At least the ways it was done before the inmate knew whether or not they had made parole. This new procedure is a big change.

robs_angel
06-11-2008, 06:08 PM
They change so much thanks for keeping up on it bonnie!

Bonnie
06-12-2008, 09:09 AM
It is a big change and Norman said it was not going over well with the inmates. At least before they knew the date they'd see the board, but now even that can be off set up to a week before the hearing.

Must be nice to be able to play with so many lives like that.. I wouldn't want that responsibility!

seaside
06-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Where can I find the criteria for the Home Plan ?
I want to be prepared. We have 5 months to the Board again.

justvicki
06-19-2008, 04:54 PM
Inmates can get a home plan packet from their unit manager and/or counselor, better yet the IPO. I do not know of anywhere that can be obtained online. I will try to find mine to see what basic criteria is required, however, I do know that depending on the nature of the crime, specific criteria can be added.

A few across the board requirements are no guns and/or weapons of any kind are allowed in the home and no alcohol is allowed in the home no mater the nature of the parolee's crime was.

Turn~Around
06-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Thanks Bonnie, it didn't do us any good. They denied his parole, the first question they asked him was about him having an affair while on parole ( before my time).
I don't see why they would have any reason to even bring that up, she was the one that was in the postion of authority, not him.

Bonnie
06-22-2008, 08:46 PM
I don't understand why that was brought up either. I'm sorry for you he didn't make parole... hopefully next time!!!

By the way, if you ever come online IM me.. wold like to talk to you!!!

Thanks for posting
Good luck
Bonnie

Bonnie
06-22-2008, 09:43 PM
I would think the inmate would be given a copy of the criteria... you could ask him, or call the prison perhaps and ask to talk to the Institutional Parole Officer.. GOOD LUCK!

Bonnie

Bunnywabbit
07-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Okay. I'm buying a house. I'm putting down $5000 of borrowed money on a $34,000 house. My question is WHAT THE HECK DOES THE PO WANT? Is there ANY reason he might not be paroled to me? Location? I need to know before I sign the papers on Thursday!!! Please help! I called the PO office and asked them what the restrictions were and they really didn't have much to tell me, (imagine that) My house is in a decent neighborhood and in good condition. However, there was a kidnapping/murder that happened just the other day not far from there. I work full time...plus...I go to school full time. I've never been in any trouble and I don't drink or use drugs. My husband is doing a 1-10 for forgery and is going up for parole on July 29. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
GOD BLESS YOU!!!:confused::confused::confused:

justvicki
07-08-2008, 01:24 AM
I can't imagine why the home plan would be denied. Since his parole hearing is the 29th, the PO should be visiting soon, in fact I am surprised they haven't yet since the home plan has to be filed with the parole board no less than one week before an inmate's hearing. Is there anyway you can postpone signing your papers without jeopardizing the purchase just to be on the safe side?

You are working, the house is in a good neighborhood, despite the recent crime (that can happen any where and every where), and is in good condition. Your husband did not commit a violent crime and should not have any limitations/restrictions as to where he can live. My gut tells me you should be okay. Just remember no alcohol or weapons of any kind in the home.

I wish you both all the best! Let us know what happens.

Bonnie
07-08-2008, 03:30 AM
Yes indeed, good luck to both of you. I will praying your husband makes his parole. My husband is doing his 1-10 for forgery too, and is up for parole, but unfortunately he has no home plan to go to. The PO in my county refues to let him come here last time he was up for parole because he had a conviction of domestic assault against me back in 2000. The PO said as long as he was the PO in this county he would never approve for my husband to ever come here. He told me my husband needs to go back to Huntington wher ehe belongs.

You having the house is a great thing. I can only wish I had money for a down payment on a house. I am so tired of renting and all this money is going to waist when it could be going to purchase a home for us to be in forever...

Again, Good luck to you, God bless and yes keep us posted!!!!

God bless!
Bonnie

wvgirl74
08-31-2008, 06:13 PM
my boyfriend was telling me that one of his friends made parole but he didnt have a home plan before he went in front of them he said his friend told him that you have to have a pre home plan and that you have to pay for it i was just wondering if this is true or not ?? has anyone else heard about that ??

justvicki
08-31-2008, 06:44 PM
While its not called a "pre" home plan, it is true that the West Virginia Parole Board will only interview parole eligible inmates with approved home plans. Any inmate without an approved home plan will be given a further consideration by the board. This means they will be seen when an approved home plan is in place. This new rule became effective June 1, 2008.

Approved home plans must be submitted to the Parole Board at least one week prior to the parole interview. This is to ensure that the inmate's victims and families do not attend unnecessarily.

You do not have to pay for a home plan, however, there is a monthly supervision fee of $40 that the parolee must pay as long as they are on parole.

WVMOM2005
09-01-2008, 07:50 AM
I was also told that the inmate had to pay $50.00 before the home plan could be approved.

justvicki
09-01-2008, 02:52 PM
I've read and re-read WV Criminal Code 62-12 dealing with probation and parole and can't find a mention of a cost to file a home plan, although it does identify the parolee's monthly supervison fee.

Something new...............interesting.

im_preshush
09-11-2008, 07:17 PM
So I am reading that at the time the inmate is released they must pay the first $50 before release? Can this payment come from family or does it have to be the inmates money?
Also, a nit off topic but, having to do with money....How do we find out if past due money (restitution,fines etc) is due? Do these also have to be paid before the Parole Hearing? At release? etc.
Thanks,
~Dee~

justvicki
09-11-2008, 08:02 PM
I am still not sure about the $50 to file a home plan. The IPO at the facility where the inmate is housed could probably clarify whether or not that is factual. Fines, restitution, court costs, etc. are a part of the inmate's sentencing order. A copy of that can be gotten from the Circuit Clerk's office in the county where the inmate was sentenced. Also, it is a part of the the inmate's file, and they may be able to get a copy from their counselor or case manager. They do not have to be paid before an inmate paroles, however, they could be a condition of parole and a dilligent PO will arrange for payments to be made on those while the inmate is under their supervision.

Bonnie
09-15-2008, 11:11 AM
Just when you think you know all there is to know about the WV DOC, and parole services, they got to go and throw a wrench in it somewhere, don't they???

justvicki
09-15-2008, 09:32 PM
Hopefully, someone will come along soon who has some verified information about this new procedure. If the plan is denied, does the inmate have to pay $50 every time one is filed? Interesting.

im_preshush
09-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Home plans are administered by the Parole Board or a local Parole Officer?
I guess the question is if I were to call our local PO (who can and has been very informative) would they be able to clear this issue up?
How soon before the Hearing do they actually do the home plan? Do they give any notice or one day, there they are on your porch? WIll there be paperwork they will require of me?
Gee, why would I have so many Home Plan questions??? Jennifer (my daughter) is due for her hearing in January. As some of you know she is down in Lakin. (OK that was dumb, of course she is!! no other female prison in WV). Anyway yesterday she called and was excited. She said she got her outside clearance. (Is that a Level 1?) Yesterday she was very apprehensive. She was being pushed out of her "box" and comfort zone. She has been training dogs in the Rover Rehab Program for autistic kids. She had just gotten her 4th trainee ( a puppy). She was already stressing yesterday about missin gthe little guy. She first came across like she might tell them she didn't want to move (not just for the dog program but, sevsral other reasons). I told her under no circumstances shoudl she do that. I fear the System would take that as a way of her telling them that she didn't trust HERSELF with limited freedom. Today she was moved to one of the mobile homes. She sounded quite reserved today, almost fearful. She seems like a freshman in high school, amongst a bunch of Seniors. For 3 yrs she has known the routine of a normal day. She had "friends", new the rules,etc. Her comment today was "It is so different here", there is no onsite counselor, no request forms etc. The things she is used to. I asked her tonight if she had checked into the rules of the house. SHe can have ZERO writeups from Oct. 15th till the hearing, she HAS to be careful and proactive. She asked another girl tonight and was told there is a rule list. None was offered for her to see. This has her a bit worried! She could mess up without knowing she is doing something wrong. I pushed her to ask someone tomorrow for the list. We all know how the last 3 months are rough for them to be set up so they have to forefeit their hearing. OK, with all that said (and asked),am I getting the right idea that she will probably be released this time up? Would they put someone in the mobile if not? I heard it is their foot out the door. Also, has anyone ever heard of an early Parole Date? On Jan. 11th she was given a flat. I know that means she can see the board again on Jan 11th (or thereabouts) this year. BUT, with her hearing being that close to Christmas do they ever release them early for the holiday? She is coming up on year three of a 2-10 (mal. wounding).
Sorry this turned out so long. I just know Vicki is aware of Lakin and how it "works".
Anyone else though, with ideas or thoughts, please chime in!!
Thanks,
Hugz,
~Dee~

justvicki
09-16-2008, 12:01 AM
Dee,

Home plans are submitted by the IPO (institutional parole officer) to the local parole office, who will contact you and set an appointment time for the PO to come to your home and meet with you. I am not aware of any paperwork that you will be required to complete, however, they will ask you about financial resources and whether or not they are adequate to support the parolee until they are able to obtain employment. Also, they will determine whether or not the home has adequate space for an additional person. They like to see the parolee have their own room, if possible. Also, no alcohol or weapons are allowed in the home. They may also inquire if someone in the home is on prescription narcotics, opiates or anti-psychotic medications, espcially if the parolee is someone with a drug abuse history. Once the PO has completed their visit and investigation they willl notify the IPO as to whether or not the home plan is approved, and in turn the Parole Board is also notified. Effective this past June, if a home plan has not been approved at the very latest a week before the inmate's scheduled parole hearing, the inmate will not be seen and will be given further consideration by the board and seen at a later date when a home plan has been approved. Unfortunately, the Parole Board doesn't do early releases because of the Christmas holidays. I know of someone who actually saw the board and made parole on the 23rd of December. If your daughter has a January parole eligibility date, then she will see the board whatever day in January they are scheduled to be at Lakin.

An outside clearance doesn't mean a classification level of 1. Most outside clearances are level 2's, which is minimum security. Level 1's are community clearances which is what inmates obtain when they are sent to Work Release. It sounds like your daughter is doing really well, Dee, and working her way towards coming home soon! As hard as it might be to hear (and coming from somone who experienced it first hand) your daughter is institutionalized to some degree, and it although more freedom and less restrictions is what we all yearned for, it can be scarey when you find yourself in a less structured environment. It will take her a little while to acclimate to her new housing, but once she does, she will be just fine. She knows what she has to do with her next parole hearing coming up, and she'll do it! After all, that's how you get home! :)

I wish you both the very best and good luck!

P.S. If your local PO office has been helpful in the past, it might be a good idea to call and ask about the $50 home plan filing fee. At least we would have it straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. :D

im_preshush
09-16-2008, 11:33 AM
I spoke with a PO today in Berkeley County. He (Mr. Catlett) says he has never heard of such a thing. He said once the Parolee meets with him for the first time he looks at all their debts (restitution, court costs etc) and makes sure there is a payment plan to get them paid off. He said there is a $40 per month supervision charge but, that is not due until the month following release.
Just for the record, I asked him if his job is to merely babysit Parolees or if he actually tries to help them find work by directing them to places that will hire a felon. He became very quiet and said we tell them who hires felons. You could tell he knew how hard it is for a felon to get a job.
I asked him if the Father to their daughter (who rents a room here now AND is a felon) would have to have totally moved out before the Home Visit. Ready for his response???? He said well they could ask the Board during the Home Visit if they would consider letting them live together.
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He said it is done on occasion. He said because he is Federal (drugs) and she is State(violent) that it may work for them to live in the same house. I just spoke with his PO (Fed) and he said he would not have a problem with it as long as the State approved it. Both PO's know that they are not married and never have been. Not that the State cares but, their daughter has not had a Parent since she was 3 months old until about a year ago (she is 3 now). She is VERY dependant on Daddy being here!!! She will not eat if he is not here. I am sure she will be the same way with Mommy!! I think it is important for the kids stability to have both Parents here. Of course now all we have to do is get the State to agree.
Now for my other question.....I would like to hear from people who have had a State Home Visit done, what it entails? How thorough are they? I am disabled and I was losing sleep last night that they will come here and do a search and seizure type thing. You know where they dump drawers and closets out and leave a mess for ME to clean up. I would appreciate getting some settled sleep, if I could hear from different people what a home visit consists of.
Thanks to all !!!
Hugz,
~Dee~

justvicki
09-17-2008, 06:47 PM
Dee,

When the PO did the home visit with my sister before my parole, she was very thorough with the questions that she asked. She did a walk through my sister's home and even spoke with my niece who was 11 at the time about how she felt about having me live there with her and her mother. She was also thorough with Michele about what I could and couldn't do and what could not be in the home while I resided there. She did not do an inspection or open the first drawer or ask that anything be opened for her. I have never heard of a PO doing a seach and seizure type of visit. However, my PO made it clear to my sister that they had the right to pay unscheduled visits any time of the day or night.

Hope this puts your mind to ease somewhat.

justvicki
09-17-2008, 06:54 PM
P.S.

Thanks for the information about the $50 filing fee for a home plan. Coming from a PO goes a long way to put that rumor to rest.

Also, that's good news about the PO suggesting to request the board approve your daughter and her boyfriend being allowed to reside together in your home with their daughter. One thing for sure, you'll never know if you don't ask.

Good luck!

wvgirl74
10-15-2008, 05:15 PM
hey,
i got a good friend who is up for parole again in dec
when he got paroled the very first time before he made his home plan
to live with his grandmother, but she has passed away
what we was wondering is that since he has no family now
do u think they would let him parole to someone who is not family
he has known this couple for years as a matter of fact when they lived around him they would take care of him, feed him and all that stuff, they would even keep him out of trouble, they took him as their own son in so many ways. they have said that they would let him stay with them and help him or give him a job and stuff,
so do any of yall think that would approve him for this place i knows its all up to the parole board or parole office i was just also wondering if it would hurt for them to tell a little lie and say that they are family like they could be his aunt and uncle and do you also think maybe they should write the board and stuff and let them know they are willing to let him stay ?
please let me know what i should do thanks alot:)

LoveMyCreekMud
10-15-2008, 06:10 PM
I don't know a lot about the home plans, but I'm pretty sure you shouldn't lie about anything when trying to get one approved.

justvicki
10-15-2008, 06:54 PM
The couple who is willing to allow your friend to parole to their home, should write to the Institutional Parole Officer at the facility where he is housed. They should state exactly how they are willing to support him should he granted parole. Under no circumstances should they lie, but should emphasize the closeness of their relationship even though they are not related. The IPO will submit the inmate's home plan to the local parole office and an agent will visit the home and speak with the couple to verify what is in the home plan. The agency will determine whether or not the home plan is approved and notify the IPO of his decision. It is absolutely possible to parole to a home that is not a family member if all the guidelines are met.

Good luck!

wvgirl74
10-16-2008, 11:34 AM
well thanks for the help :)
ill be sure to tell them to write
also i was wondering if someone would rent him a place of his own do they let inmates parole to their own place or do they have to have someone their with them ?

justvicki
11-04-2008, 12:53 AM
Sorry for the delayed response. Yes, if the inmate is financially stable enough to pay his rent and other expenses and the PO approves the apartment and neighborhood, an inmate can parole to his own place.

missi1969
11-17-2008, 08:47 PM
My fiance was extradited to pa and is serving time in pa prison. He is up for parole in March. We have lived together prior to his arrest for almost 5 years. We have a very stable home and good friends and family. His arrest stemmed from old warrants he had before we met. Any ways, my question is pa will let him apply to wv for parole but will wv even consider our home as a valid home plan ?He has no other family to parole to.He has gotten clean and sober and totally changed his life during the 5 years we spent together and we are his only family. I know the law about cohabitation is still on the books in wv. But are there any exceptions?

justvicki
11-18-2008, 06:14 PM
This is something he needs to discuss with the person in charge of inmate home plans in the facility where he is housed ASAP as in WV 99.9% of the time the receiving PO will not approve a home plan where there would be cohabitation. Since he would be received by WV from PA via Interstate Compact, I would assume he has to follow the rules of the receiving state. Also, it wouldn't hurt to call the PO office in WV that would be following him and speak to one of the agents there.

Good luck!

missi1969
11-23-2008, 05:24 PM
Thanks justvicky, I already called 2 parole offices in charleston wv and they've been really nice but not too helpful about what our options are. They said the same as you though, that paroling to me was doubtful since we are not married. Will they let him live on his own? Can he live with some of our friends from church for a few days until we are married?There is no other family at all that he could parole to. What happens to other inmates who have no one to parole to? Are they just stuck in prison until they max out their sentence?

justvicki
11-23-2008, 06:39 PM
Yes, inmates who have no one and no where to parole are stuck until they max out or eventually find somewhere and someone to parole to. Sometimes they are sent to either Charleston or Huntington's work release facilities where they are able to work and earn enough money to get a place of their own that the parole agent approves, but that is rare. In fact, inmates in WV facilities who do not have an approved home plan prior to their parole eligibility date, will not be seen by the parole board until they do. It really can be difficult for some of them.

Yes, they will let him live on his own, if he has the financial means to support himself, but you need to remember that where ever the paroles to initially he has to wait three months before he can apply for a transfer. Also, in order to get married, he will have his parole agent's approval.

Have you thought about getting married before he paroles? I know its not the what most of us imagine when we get married, but it would probably solve the home plan problem, and you could always renew your vows with friends and family once he got home.

I wish you both the best of luck!

jessnkat
11-23-2008, 07:21 PM
Check out these threads in the Probation, Parole & Supervision Forum (where you'll find lots of threads about Interstate Compact):

FAQ - Interstate Compact (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=208765)

Interstate Compact Agreement (http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69911)

With you not being married and his having no other family, I would say that he wouldn't probably not be approved. I was told by a Parole Office that used to frequent PTO (and I think he was from WV!) that just because my husband lived with me in a state other than where he was incarcerated, that did not make him a resident - especially if he had warrants out from his previous state of residence. This was our reason for going ahead and getting married while he was still incarcerated - not a dream wedding - HECK, the groom wasn't even there! - but the end results the same and he was able to come home to me while on parole!

As Vicki said, he needs to beginning discussing this with the parole/probation person at his unit. I hope things work out for yall!

im_preshush
12-05-2008, 02:42 PM
The PO called yesterday to set up the Home visit appt. :thumbsup: It is set for Thurs. Dec 11th. I live in a 3 bedroom house. I told her my 6 yr old grandson (daughter's son) is in one room, her 3 yr old daughter is in another (quite large) room, with two beds. Of course I have the other bedroom. The PO was not happy hearing my daughter did not have her own room. I told her that there is both a twin bed and a toddler bed in the 2nd bedroom. Her daughter has been moved sooo much in the past 3 years. She is just now getting to feel like this is home again. Her Dad stayed here up until Nov. 1st. He is a felon so he moved out so as not to interfere with the Home Plan/Parole of my daughter. So now my grand daughter sleeps (not well at all) in the room alone. I told the PO that I felt it would be important that my daughter could share her room. Her response then was " I willhave to see the setup fo myself". I am worried. At the time of the Home Visit my income will be quite low. My divorce should finalize in February and then my income will increase (hopefully) considerably. I am wondering too, if she can do WV Works/welfare. They give you training for work and a check in the meantime. Her charges were not drug related so she can get benefits. I just know with the economy/unemployment what it is a felon finding a job is going to be a JOKE (so to speak!) Can they hold it against her if she can't find work? I think I have heard that if they don't get work they can be sent back in. Does anyone know if that is true? I am worried.
Have a great Weekend!

Dee,

When the PO did the home visit with my sister before my parole, she was very thorough with the questions that she asked. She did a walk through my sister's home and even spoke with my niece who was 11 at the time about how she felt about having me live there with her and her mother. She was also thorough with Michele about what I could and couldn't do and what could not be in the home while I resided there. She did not do an inspection or open the first drawer or ask that anything be opened for her. I have never heard of a PO doing a seach and seizure type of visit. However, my PO made it clear to my sister that they had the right to pay unscheduled visits any time of the day or night.

Hope this puts your mind to ease somewhat.

WVMOM2005
12-05-2008, 03:29 PM
Good Luck with the Home Plan. Let me know how it goes.
(P.U.S.H.)
Pray Until Something Happens

justvicki
12-05-2008, 09:05 PM
Dee,

PO's can be very non-commital when it comes to answering questions - which can be maddening and frightening - but not necessarily negative. While they like to see the parolee have their own room, I do not think they would turn down a home plan for that reason alone. I have to say that I am glad your daughter's BF moved out because I do believe his living there would have caused a denial had he remained.

Call the WVDHHR office in your area and asked to speak to someone about what type of benefits your daughter would be eligible for including WV Works. I was able to get the maximum food stamp allowance, and that would definitely help with your lowered income. Also call your local WV Division of Rehabilitation Services regarding services your daughter might be eligible for. Finding a job will be hard and discouraging, but it is very possible that rehab services can help her with re-training or even enrolling in school. I was able to finish my bachelor's degree with their help and guidance. Let the PO know what you have found out and what her plans are. Take advantage of every program that she can find that she is eligible for and as long as she is making a genuine effort to better herself (and her monthly supervisory fees are paid, along with any restitution payments she may have), the fact that she isn't working should not be a issue with her PO.

Pray without ceasing, Dee, for God's mercy and understanding, and he will bring your girl home. Good luck and let us know how things go!

countrygrl6150
01-04-2009, 02:18 PM
My uncle was just paroled from st. mary's a few months ago and he almost didnt get paroled b/c his ex wife did not set up a home plan he had to stay in for an extra 30 days after seeing the parole board cuz he didnt have his home plan done/complete...im not sure about any other prison but i know he had to have it ready before he went up before the board at st mary's so i would def. be lookin into it if i was u hun just incase, maybe give his attorney a call or call the prison..hope i helped a lil :) Good luck to u and ur family and god bless...

justvicki
01-08-2009, 05:16 PM
As an update to this thread, effective June 2008 home plans must be submitted and approved no later than one week prior to the inmate's parole board hearing date. If an approved home plan is not on filed by then, then inmate's hearing date will be set off by the board, and rescheduled when a home plan has been approved.

im_preshush
01-13-2009, 07:24 PM
The PO came as scheduled. She seemed almost too laid back. Casually walked around the house. Went in the room Jennifer will sleep in (hopefully the night of January 24th!). There had been a serious question posed by the PO before her visit about allowing Jennifer to share a room with her 3 yr. old daughter. Once she saw the size of the room (not much smaller than a hotel room) she said she had no problem with them sharing it.
She was approved to come home (where she belongs). Her ex is here for the kids now but, must move (as we all figured) the day before she gets here.
You speak of these surprise visits. Have any of you known them to happen? If so how often? If so were there more of them towards the beginning than later on through the Parole? She said if she does well her nighttime curfew will be lifted at 3 months. Of course most of the problems Jennifer got into were at night. I am thinking maybe that part (the early release of curfew) could be a secret :):confused::(.
I have to do catch up with WVMom's posts. Thought her boy was about to be seen by the Board. I will ask (if it hasn't been answered, as I do catch up) but, I am pretty sure RSAT is a 3 month program. That is part of the 10% the Parole Organizer at Lakin says may hold Jennifer's release. The Board told her to seriously consider taking it last year when she was seen. For many reasons (I feel were sound) she chose not to do the RSAT. She has since completed all 3 of the ALADRUE classes. She has taken many college courses.
I have something to run by you..........since her Hearing is so close, can we guess that the Parole Organizer (forgot her title) at Lakin has seen all the reports from say the Prosecutor, Judge, Warden etc., already? Is that possibly why she is saying she has a 90% change of release? Maybe she has read the above people's approval of the release? I know the Board has the last word. I am just curious as to how she can be so certain of the 90%. Any thoughts?
Wishing you all prayers and luck that are in need,
Hugz,
~Dee/Jennifer/WV~

justvicki
01-13-2009, 10:12 PM
Dee,

Glad to hear that the PO has come and gone and approved the room for Jennifer to share with her daughter. I kinda thought she would once she saw it. As, far as surprise visits are concerned, yes, I had them happen to me. Twice in the year I was on parole; once while was still on curfew and once shortly before I was discharged. I also experienced surprise phone calls. My PO insisted on a land line while I was on curfew, since I had to be in the house by 9. I would say she called about 3-4 times during that year.

As far as the RSAT program is concerned, the course takes 6-12 months to complete. Its very good that she has complete the Aladrue triad and if the board is insistant that she complete an RSAT program they can always make it a condition of parole that she do it when she is released. Jennifer's IPO (institutional parole officer) would not see any sentiment that has been returned to the parole board by the judge, prosecutor, community, etc., as that is returned directly to the PB for her file there. I think I can safely assume that she is basing her opinion directly on Jennifer's behavior and accomplishments there at Lakin.

I wish Jennifer and you and your family all the luck it the world. Tell her to hang tight - it's almost over!

Let us know how things ago. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

MadiJ
01-31-2009, 11:37 AM
Greetings everyone. I am new here, thus the introduction. My brother is serving in the WV DOC system, finishing out his 6th year of a 9 year sentence (pictured). He is currently located in Pruntytown, which seems to be the best location so far. The security is minimal, at best.

WV has passed a new law (or so that is how I understand it) that says a home plan must be approved prior to the inmate going before the parole board for a hearing.

I live in the state of TN and my brother put in for an interstate transfer to my home. He has already been denied 2 times by the state of MD, but we had not really been given a reason why. As it seems it could have even been because it was not blood relatives that he was trying to transfer to.

The parole office for TN came out to my house and we reviewed an extensive amount of rules and regulations for what would happen when (& if) my brother were released to my home. My brother does have a pretty bad criminal history with drug arrests and stupid violations and he did review this with me stating that his history made him not sure whether or not they wanted to have him here in TN.

3 days later my brother called me and said that he was declined. He was not told a reason why, or if it was even MY home that was declined, the reason simply stated "Lack of Supervision." My brother's counselor told him that he wasn't even sure if it was on the TN side or the WV side.

I have contacted the parole office a couple of times and left messages to inquire as to whether he declined it or not, but he has not returned my calls.

In the past, when my brother was arrested then let out on probation, it was always right back into the same society where he got into trouble. Back to the same people and the same living conditions. I explained to the TN parole officer that I know it would be different this time because he would be here (in TN) away from everyone - getting a new start - a chance he never had before.

Also, not to mention that my brother has 3 kids living with their mother in Baltimore City (MD) in drug run neighborhoods with her drug dealing boyfriend. She has already told him when he gets out he can have the kids cause she can't do anything with them. They're starting to get into a lot of trouble in school - when they do go.

So this time he's made a pact that he has to get out to give his kids a better life, so they won't turn out like him. So I know he's changed.

My brother's only option now is to try to parole to our parents house. Our parents were having my brother push drugs for them on the streets. They were never caught for this, but they're not good people He can't go back there, but he wants to get out of jail. I'm so scared if he goes there, he'll go right back into the same life. My parents will want him to hit the streets again. He made them a lot of money.

He needs to come here; it's the only way to guarantee a fresh new start.

So what can I do? Is there some way to appeal the decision? On Monday I plan to call the DOC, my brother's counselor and the prison records clerk to see if I can find out more information about his situation and the reason for the decline. I plan to write a letter to every single person connected with this case to figure out what else I can do.

But I know there are so many smart people on here who know the ins and outs of this system, so I thought I'd ask for help.

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much for your help.

MadiJ
01-31-2009, 12:19 PM
Does anyone know a specific location or website of where I can get information regarding home plan approvals? I'm looking for an interstate transfer, just in case that makes a difference.

Thank you for your help.

justvicki
01-31-2009, 03:30 PM
Do you mind if I ask a few questions first so that I don't give you the wrong information?

You said your brother was on the sixth year of a nine year sentence. Do you know what his original sentence and sentencing date was? When is his parole hearing date?

I am posting the link for the ICAOS|Interstate Commission for Adult Offenders Website. There's a lot of information there, and there is a section where you can review the rules for and interstate transfer.

http://www.interstatecompact.org/

Also section out the interstate compact information here on PTO at

http://www.prisontalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69911&page=60

Start with the last page and work your way back as that is where the most up to date information will be.

Yes, in June of last year a new rule was implemented that a home plan must be approved and to the parole board no later than one week before the inmate's parole hearing date. If not, then the inmate will not be seen until an approved home plan is on file. It's been my experience that only one home plan at a time is investigated, so if you received a visit in TN, then it was probably your home that was denied.

MadiJ
01-31-2009, 04:22 PM
His order date is 6/4/03 - his release date would be 6/4/12. His last parole hearing date was scheduled for 12/8/08. Obviously that passed without it actually happening.

When I went to his previous parole hearing in May, they told him they were rescheduling his next parole for November (08) and they even said that if he didn't get into any trouble, that he would be going home. Then the change of the home plan rules. He initially put in for a home plan to his in-laws house in MD, but MD denied him (twice). Now the denial here.

Thank you for sending the links to the sites. I wish I had found this site before his plan was denied. I had no idea of anything when the guy came out to my house. I asked my brother if there was anything I needed to do, but he said no - nothing special. Now I'm finding out that I could have had a few things lined up and made it better.

I've got a lot of research to do. Do you have any idea if, once a home plan has been denied, if there is any way to have that decision overturned? I do need to get more information about the denial. I'm also going to contact the jail to get copies of his records so I have them.

Thanks again, Vicki. You rock!

justvicki
01-31-2009, 09:32 PM
You're welcome. I'm not sure if I rock or not, but I have learned a lot in the past 10 years, that's for sure, and unfortunately either being incarcerated or having a loved one incarcerated isn't something you know about until you find yourself in the middle of it.

Ok, if I understand you correctly, he went up for parole in May, didn't make it at that time, received a six month set off until Nov, then did not see the board at that time or in Dec because of the newly imposed rule of not having an approved home plan your parole hearing date.

A couple more questions. How recently was he transferred to Pruntytown? Also, if 6/12 is his projected release date, would that make his sentence a 5-18?

I am not sure if you will be able to get copies of his records, but he certainly can. In fact he should already have them. If he doesn't he should get in touch with his IPO (institutional parole officer) and get copies and send them on to you. I believe you can appeal TN's decision to deny the transfer once you get all your ducks in a row.

justvicki
01-31-2009, 11:26 PM
WVDOC does not have anything on their website regarding home plans and I've not been able to locate anything on the web specific to it either.

Daveswife
02-01-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm suprised Md denied him. When hubby got out of Virginia he transfered to Md (probation) with no trouble. In-laws are still relatives so I don't see the problem there. It may have been that the area they live in would not be a good place for him to be.
As for your house. "Lack of supervision" may just mean they don't have the resources to keep track of him. I hate it when people don't call me back so I can sympothize with you on that. You might try to get the name of his IPO at Pruntytown and see if they can answer why. You might get them quicker than the people in your state. Or try calling the parole board in Charleston, WV and find out who his case worker is. I have found that they will talk to me whenever I have a question and they get back to me within a few days if I have to leave a message.
Good luck and I hope you guys find some place that gets accepted soon.

MadiJ
02-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Thank you Daveswife and Vicki. It's funny Daveswife, I actually did ALL of those things this morning, before checking on here.

The parole officer from here (TN) actually returned my call this morning (thank you) and told me that WV filed my brother's paperwork incorrectly. I asked him if the paperwork were correct, if he were going to approve him coming here, and he said yes, there would be no problem.

So, I call WV Parole Board - they said they couldn't do anything - to contact the jail. So I contacted the records person at PruntyTown (Ms. Mary) and she was a wonderful, helpful little lady. She said she had seen where the last jail had filed the incorrect paperwork, and that she would get right on it and send over the right paperwork. She said it would be quick because now all of the paperwork is actually done electronically (ICOTS). So yay!!

My brother has probably already missed the deadline to get a parole hearing in February, but March is a definite possibility.

He just transferred to PruntyTown a couple of weeks ago. There are 2 sections there, a secured and a non-secured. He told me that an inmate is supposed to stay in the secured area for the 1st 30 days they are there, then they are transferred to the non-secured area. After 10 days he was transferred, so I'm guessing he's been on good behaviour.

He started in the kitchen last week on pots and pans, and he just got promoted to chef. He's been a busy boy.

This morning I have already contacted a couple of non-profit organizations that work with released inmates to get him into programs when he gets out. I told the TN parole officer that, and he was glad to see I was working to help him hit the ground running.

So, I believe it's not going to be anytime now.

Thank you so much Vicki & Daveswife. You ladies sure are impeccable for being here for other women in the same situation. I plan to continue to visit here and help where I might be able to as well.

Thank you.

MadiJ
02-02-2009, 11:39 AM
It may have been that the area they live in would not be a good place for him to be.

We both believe you are exactly right - he would be going right back to Baltimore City where all of the people he used to run with are. It's so much better for him to come to TN.

MadiJ
02-02-2009, 11:40 AM
Your web links in my other post have been very helpful!

Thanks again, Vicki!

justvicki
02-02-2009, 12:23 PM
That is absolutely wonderful news. He will be in TN for Easter, just watch!

Good luck!

MadiJ
02-02-2009, 01:08 PM
I believe so too! Thank you.

waitinforhim
02-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Ok here's the deal. We're having problems with a home plan. My husband and I have been together for 5 years, married for 3. I have 2 kids by my ex. My hubby is about to take a plea for 2 misdemeanor charges, but is in prison on a parole violation. The misdemeanor charges are sex charges and he is going to have to register. His time is already served for those charges (if he takes this plea). He is up for parole on unrelated charges. The parole officer will not approve a home plan because there are children living in our house. Our kids are not the "victims". I know it is to the discretion of the parole officer to allow special conditions. They won't even try to do a home plan though because of the kids. Are they allowed to keep a married couple apart if none of the people in the household are the victims? Do I just need to call the regional director of parole services? What can I do? He could parole to his mom but she is in ohio and 2 hours from me. Are they really allowed to keep us apart? HELP PLEASE!!!:confused:

justvicki
02-19-2009, 03:00 AM
In addition to the state and national registration laws for a sex offender, the judge is also likely to place additional restrictions on the offender at the time of sentencing. It is highly unlikely someone convicted of a sex offense will be allowed to live in a home where there are children under the the age of 18 whether it is a misdemeanor or felony conviction. Depending on the offense itself, it is possible he would not even be allowed in the presence of minor children. Being married or not would not be a consideration in a situation like this. So, unfortunately, I guess the answer is yes, they can keep you apart.

RSO law varies from state to state and can be very harsh. For instance, in GA RSOs are not allowed to attend church. In CA they cannot have pets. It would be in his best interest to find out exactly what his limitations will be in WV under Megan's Law and the Adam Walsh Act. He should talk to his case manager at the facility where he is being housed.

Check out the LASO forum here on PTO. You will find a wealth of information there.

Good luck to you all!

missi1969
02-20-2009, 09:22 PM
Wow, Georgia doesnt allow registered sex offenders to attend CHURCH? Is that for real? I cant believe that!!!!

justvicki
02-20-2009, 10:23 PM
RSOs fight an uphill battle. It's particularly hard in GA.

ATLANTA — Five sex offenders filed a lawsuit Tuesday claiming that a tough new Georgia law that bans them from volunteering at churches also robs them of their right to participate in religious worship.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-06-24-2319026068_x.htm

justcurious2009
04-14-2009, 12:52 AM
What do they do for a home plan? A friend of mine was asking me to help get one of his friends a number so he could get out? What exactly is that? Does it mean like my phone number & home address or what?

justvicki
04-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Approximately 30-90 days prior to an inmate's parole eligibility date they will receive a home plan packet from their IPO (institutional parole officer) that they must completed. It consists of several components, i.e., housing, employment, family/community support, education/programming and financial means, just to mention a few. The IPO will then forward it to the receiving parole office where it is reviewed, investigated, and either approved or denied. If an inmate does not have an approved home plan at least 7 days before their hearing date, they will not be seen until they do.

I am not sure what your friend is referring to when he asked you to get one of his friends a number. A home plan is much more complex than providing a telephone number or home address, unless of course, the inmate is paroling to you.

Hope this helped a little.

justcurious2009
05-22-2009, 10:28 AM
ty so much, yes it did help a lot. Do you know if there are any half way houses or any other places offenders can be paroled to if they don't have family to go to or be released to? Sorry if I'm asking to many questions & ty for the answer earlier

Approximately 30-90 days prior to an inmate's parole eligibility date they will receive a home plan packet from their IPO (institutional parole officer) that they must completed. It consists of several components, i.e., housing, employment, family/community support, education/programming and financial means, just to mention a few. The IPO will then forward it to the receiving parole office where it is reviewed, investigated, and either approved or denied. If an inmate does not have an approved home plan at least 7 days before their hearing date, they will not be seen until they do.

I am not sure what your friend is referring to when he asked you to get one of his friends a number. A home plan is much more complex than providing a telephone number or home address, unless of course, the inmate is paroling to you.

Hope this helped a little.

justvicki
05-22-2009, 03:12 PM
Can you let me know which counties he would want to parole to?

cyclingstephan
06-01-2009, 12:07 PM
Can a pen pal I have been corresponding with parole to a house I will let him stay for working on it in leau of rent? He and I were caught together while he was out on "work duty". He seems to think my name has been 'red flagged', as an investigator came to see him and a state policeman questioned me about tobacco smuggling. He is from the Martinsburg area, but has no place to go, as his family will not allow him into their home. I have no arrest records, have a full time job, and considered turning this house into a safe-house. A former inmate that ripped me off for over $4000 in promises to parole and fix up the house may have reported the tobacco lies, as he has violated his parole and threatened to contact my family.

MiSSiN.HiM
02-28-2010, 10:11 PM
since i'm new to all this, something just came to mind & i was wondering...
when the PO comes out to see the house & what not...since i'll be renting...do they ever talk with the owner of the house?

wvdonovan
02-28-2010, 11:00 PM
I don't think so--just those who are living there. But make sure you have no alchohol in the house--even medicines or guns, obviously--actually I'd call the po office and ask what is and is not allowed in the house.

wvdonovan
02-28-2010, 11:01 PM
Mine is still at MCC, hopefully going to Pruntytown

MiSSiN.HiM
03-01-2010, 01:59 PM
how long has yours been in mcc?

justvicki
03-01-2010, 09:58 PM
If it is a rental home, the PO will more than likely notify the owner to get approval to have a parolee on the property. If they don't I would be very surprised.

WVMOM2005
03-02-2010, 07:46 AM
Im not sure if they contacted my landlord or not. If he did I wasnt aware of it

BRIAN'S GIRL
03-21-2010, 10:42 AM
they will not contact your landlord they will however notify all government agency that he is being parole and the address example like hud which is a government based program that doesn't allow drug offenders on the program but they will not talk to your landlord

since i'm new to all this, something just came to mind & i was wondering...
when the PO comes out to see the house & what not...since i'll be renting...do they ever talk with the owner of the house?

justvicki
03-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Know for a fact the PO spoke to my sister's landlord when I paroled to her home. They also notified my friend's landlord when her husband paroled last month to a house she was renting. So, perhaps we should just say that it is within the realm of possibility that the PO will speak to the owner of any rental property that an inmate is paroling to.

Brian's Girl is right; any government funding housing will deny someone with a drug related felony and it is also within their discretion to deny housing to anyone with a felony record.

wvdonovan
03-21-2010, 10:32 PM
It would be safe to say that it's at the discretion of the PO--so probably best to notify your landlord yourself ahead of time. BTW--mine just got classified--should be heading out of MCC this week--fingers crossed. lol It has been toooooo long without a visit.

collinsd24
04-23-2010, 03:49 PM
I'm still new to this thing with being around inmates so I don't know much and apologize now if my question are simple. But when an inmate has thier home plan approved I know there are certain restrictions. I have heard that felons are not supposed to associate with each other. Is this true, or is this true only if they are on parole? Also, I am still needing to know about visitation at BCC.

justvicki
04-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Felons cannot associate with other felons while on parole without the permission of their Parole Officer. Once discharged from parole, the state no longer has jurisdiction who they can and cannot associate with.

Best best for information on visitation at BCC would be to call the facility directly. That way you have the most recent and correct information.

Good luck!

usertwintwice
01-12-2011, 07:46 PM
Hi. I am trying to help my son who is incarcerated in WV South Western Regional Jail. He is serving a 1-3, and his parole hearing date is April 29, 2011. We are trying to get the new accelerated parole for him. Problems so far is that everything is set up for a person in prison, but he is still in jail. All the directives we have read refer to his IPO or case worker. At this point he has neither of these. Any info on how to do this while still in jail would be greatly appreciated.
Also, we want to get him paroled to his resident home state of Tennessee.
My questions for you guys are:
1) What exactly is the Home Plan, and is there a form to fill out for it or do you just write it up? What exactly do you put into a home plan, and where do you send it when it is complete?
2) What do I need to do concerning the Interstate Transfer Compact?

If he is accepted for the accelerated parole, his hearing should be around the end of this month(Jan), so any info you can give to me ASAP, will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
A loving Mother

Snowwolf
04-20-2011, 06:08 AM
Hopefully this will make it easier to have it all in one spot :)

Snowwolf

momtokody&tori
04-23-2011, 10:51 PM
How long before a inmate is release do they do home plans?[/B]

justvicki
04-23-2011, 11:04 PM
An inmate's home plan must be completed, approved and a copy to the Parole Board no later than one week prior to the inmate's hearing date. If not, the inmate will not been seen until a home plan has been approved.