View Full Version : Wondering what's going on at Daniel TX Prison Unit Not many visitors there.

C.Ricks'sLadii
04-13-2011, 03:22 AM
Soo there's nothing spectacular goin on at Daniel Unit?.. Im jus curious..cuse everytime I go visit my honey..it be like 2 other people in there...like wow..does anyone else visit up there or is it too far of a drive? Or yall jus go on saturdays?..No one ever talks on this Unit Forum..:( That sucks. Well thats all I had to say.

Lupe
04-13-2011, 04:43 AM
I understand..not much news out of the Daniel Unit..which is a good thing. Wow! visitation is that small? I guess becuase it is just so far out in the country that people really dont have the means of transportation. TDCJ does have a funny way of distributing our loved ones all across Texas. for the most part your visits must be farely quiet...I would have killed (not literally) for one of those kind of visits...
But..for the most part...Best Wishes and hopefully you can get others at the Daniel unit involved with PTO! Great way to network with others who share a common interest.

deerwoman
04-13-2011, 01:52 PM
Hello,

I come in here often, but there's really no one posting so I just look and go on. I'm sure there are people out there that have a loved one in Daniel.
I live so fare away, I just visit my son about every 6 months. We have a 4 hour visit on Sat. and another 4 on Sun. I don't usually visit the entire 4 hours on Sun. cause I try to get home before too late. There are lot of people there when I visit with him. I stay at the Samaritan house in Colorado City. It is a nice place with nice rooms and good food.
I will be going there in about 2 more weeks for my son's graduation. Only two people that are on the visitor's list are allowed. We are supposed to get an invitation. We will get to visit with him after graduation.
I usually send e-mails to him which sometimes he usually gets them the same evening.
Have a nice day.

GoodBI_girl
04-14-2011, 12:40 PM
I know it's so slow. I do check here also but like you say, not much to see.;) I am 1200 miles away and he is getting out in a month so things are the way they are for now.

It is a small unit and supposed to be drama-free so the chance of many people knowing about PTO is limited. Since it is also a safekeeping unit I can imagine some people may shy away from saying to much in a public forum. That being said I was given a lot of answers through this sub-forum and PTO in general.

Lupe
04-20-2011, 03:32 AM
wow...you gals remind me of my 13hr round trip visits. The things we do for our loved ones. I have never been to the Daniel Unit, although I hear it is very nice, even a microwave?!!?! I have visited Stiles/Michael/Allred/Travis Co./Murray Units. well glad to see the new people meeting in here!!!

britecloud
04-20-2011, 07:20 AM
wow...you gals remind me of my 13hr round trip visits. The things we do for our loved ones. I have never been to the Daniel Unit, although I hear it is very nice, even a microwave?!!?! I have visited Stiles/Michael/Allred/Travis Co./Murray Units. well glad to see the new people meeting in here!!!

yep, daniel is def one of the nicer units. there is a refrigerated machine that sells sandwiches and a micro to heat them up in. i never appreciated it until michael went to kyle unit and all we had was overpriced chips, soda and expired donuts in the machines.

C.Ricks'sLadii
04-23-2011, 05:14 AM
Ooo Im shocked at the replies..:) I go to see my boyfriend everyother Sunday..i used to go every weekend but its starting to become overwhelming cause of gas orices and things that fall in between...but the CO's are soo nice it's gotten to the point that we are on first name basis which I never thought wud happen. But the Snack machines cept that one time I tried to get him a pizza and it took my money...but overall ita very peaceful.. I jus dont like sittin on those stools...Ouch!.. But things will get better..I used to stayy at the Hosp. House in CC until one day they called me with some nonsense which Im still shocked to this day soo I no longer stay at the Hosp. House.. I either get a hotel room or get up really early and make that 5hr drive..

deerwoman
05-02-2011, 12:01 PM
Greetings,

This weekend is Mother's day weekend and visitation is limited to 2 hour visits on Sat. & Sun. Photographer will be available. I make a 7 hour trip but I will be limited to 2 hours. I have to go back on Sat. cause we have mother's day activities at church. My sis is coming with me and her family usually take her out to dinner so I want to be sure she is back home on Sun. We are coming for the graduation on Friday. We might have a short visit with my son afterwards during the reception.
Good day to all.

finosfamily
05-29-2011, 05:57 PM
Ooo Im shocked at the replies..:) I go to see my boyfriend everyother Sunday..i used to go every weekend but its starting to become overwhelming cause of gas orices and things that fall in between...but the CO's are soo nice it's gotten to the point that we are on first name basis which I never thought wud happen. But the Snack machines cept that one time I tried to get him a pizza and it took my money...but overall ita very peaceful.. I jus dont like sittin on those stools...Ouch!.. But things will get better..I used to stayy at the Hosp. House in CC until one day they called me with some nonsense which Im still shocked to this day soo I no longer stay at the Hosp. House.. I either get a hotel room or get up really early and make that 5hr drive..

wow im glad to know its drama free i was really goin to be worried bout my uncle do they share cells there any info you have i wld really appreciate anything you can tell me plz

C.Ricks'sLadii
05-31-2011, 01:10 AM
Yea it has its days so ive been told but yea they share cells well my bf did when he was there..it was only 1 other dude in there wit him..Umm the guards are nice well...they be nice to me when I used to go..I kinda miss that prison compared to the other ones..I rather for him to be there..but anywho its pretty goo..cept that one time my money got lost in the sandwich machine thingy...and the stools(visitin thru glass) hurt!..Ugh!..Is never alotta people in there soo im pretty sure u will have a good visit...Anymore questions ill try to answer!...Good Luck! wow im glad to know its drama free i was really goin to be worried bout my uncle do they share cells there any info you have i wld really appreciate anything you can tell me plz

finosfamily
06-02-2011, 03:34 PM
goin for a suprise visit perhaps on sunday first time seeing him in a lil over a month so excited :)

darkbayou
07-24-2011, 03:46 PM
I'll be going to visit on a regular basis as soon as I find out what days and hours visitation is. I just now found this forum hoping to find out more information here.

JAE'sWifey
07-24-2011, 07:16 PM
I'll be going to visit on a regular basis as soon as I find out what days and hours visitation is. I just now found this forum hoping to find out more information here.
It's Saturday and Sunday 8am-5pm. I have gone the last three weeks, it's a nice unit. If you have any questions let me know :)

darkbayou
07-25-2011, 08:58 PM
It's Saturday and Sunday 8am-5pm. I have gone the last three weeks, it's a nice unit. If you have any questions let me know :)

Do you know how long it takes to get approval on the list? I think he did it last week. I called over the weekend and the list isn't updated yet. She said because I'm not family it wouldn't be a contact visit:(

JAE'sWifey
07-25-2011, 09:52 PM
Do you know how long it takes to get approval on the list? I think he did it last week. I called over the weekend and the list isn't updated yet. She said because I'm not family it wouldn't be a contact visit:(

I don't know how long it takes. He just sent me a letter saying I was on his list and I visited a few days later. There are some advantages to no contact, you get a lot more privacy but it still sucks not being able to give them a hug or anything.

darkbayou
07-25-2011, 09:58 PM
Maybe it just hadn't updated yet since it was the weekend. I'll try again tomorrow and see if they have my name on there.

deerwoman
07-26-2011, 04:06 PM
Greetings,

I was told that they can change their visitors list every 6 months.

deerwoman
07-26-2011, 04:13 PM
Greetings,

OOPS!!! Gave the wrong info. What they said was they had a limited number allowed on visitors list. With the price of gas and everything, try staying at the Samaritan House in Colorado City, which is only 28 miles from Snyder. It's free and you get breakfast and supper. It opens on Fridays at 3:00 pm and closes Sunday at 9:00 am. You can call to reserve a room.

darkbayou
07-26-2011, 07:58 PM
I heard about that place! Sounds great! I want to bring those ladies who run it some supplies to help them out!

deerwoman
07-27-2011, 09:16 AM
The people at the House are very nice. I usually give a donation before I leave. They have everything like shampoos and conditioners, lotions, body wash (from hotels and motels), towels. They even have washer and dryer. They also put out clothes and shoes for those that need them. They have fridge full of drinks. Their rooms are nice and clean.

deerwoman
07-27-2011, 09:28 AM
I live 7 hours from the unit, and I call in on Monday and tell the people I am coming in for a special visit. Then I call them on Friday morning to be sure it has been approved. I get 4 hour visits on Sat. & Sun.
For reserving a room at the House, call when they are open. Sometimes the ladies will be cleaning on Monday mornings and will take calls. I can't think of the number right off hand, just a minute, let me check. Here it is 325-728-2399.
They allow you to bring $25 worth of quarters for snacks (loose in a plastic bag). They have micro wave in the visiting room. Sometimes they run out of snacks because of so many people and our loved ones (in my case, a son) like to eat!!!!
I was hoping to go this month or next but I am having car problems so I will try later.
Have nice day.

finosfamily
07-27-2011, 10:13 AM
anyone live in the georgetown area?

JAE'sWifey
07-27-2011, 11:56 PM
I live 7 hours from the unit, and I call in on Monday and tell the people I am coming in for a special visit. Then I call them on Friday morning to be sure it has been approved. I get 4 hour visits on Sat. & Sun.
For reserving a room at the House, call when they are open. Sometimes the ladies will be cleaning on Monday mornings and will take calls. I can't think of the number right off hand, just a minute, let me check. Here it is 325-728-2399.
They allow you to bring $25 worth of quarters for snacks (loose in a plastic bag). They have micro wave in the visiting room. Sometimes they run out of snacks because of so many people and our loved ones (in my case, a son) like to eat!!!!
I was hoping to go this month or next but I am having car problems so I will try later.
Have nice day.
It is best to go right at 8 and buy everything while you are waiting for him to come down. Every once in a while the machines will be almost empty.

BriansTaurus
09-19-2011, 09:37 AM
Here is the contact information for the Samaritan House for anyone that might need it.

Samaritan House
1325 Westpoint
Colorado city, Texas 79512
(325)728-2399
Close to: Ware, Wallace (both in Col. City),
and Price Daniel - in Snyder

finosfamily
09-21-2011, 08:20 PM
damn it suxs missn someone so damn much when does it get easier if ever

deerwoman
09-22-2011, 09:47 AM
Greetings,

I guess it never ends missing a loved one when they are not home. I have seen other mothers lose their sons and know they will never see them again until kingdom comes. I know my son will come home someday and I will hug him and so will his daughters and his siblings. I work and I like to read and sew and involved in other activities or attend sport events. There is a part of me missing and won't be whole until my son walks out of prison and back home again.

finosfamily
09-22-2011, 05:54 PM
thank you deerwoman

JAE'sWifey
09-25-2011, 07:02 PM
I went this morning and my husband said they're about to go on their annual lockdown.

finosfamily
09-25-2011, 07:24 PM
damn did he say bout when?

JAE'sWifey
09-26-2011, 01:28 AM
He said a week to a month.

Chechosgirl
12-19-2012, 05:53 PM
So can you visit both saturday and sunday for 2 hours? or do they have a limit to the visit time you can get? The prison he came from only let the inmates have a visit for 2 hours the whole weekend. I live quite a bit from the prison and just want to be sure. thank you.

deerwoman
12-20-2012, 08:50 AM
I lived 8 hours away and got to visit with my son for 4 hours Sat. & Sun. It was a special visit and you had to call the unit to set it up. The best place to stay during your visit is at the Samaritan House in Colorado City. It is about 30 miles away from the unit but it is free lodging and free breakfast & supper. They opened about 3:00 pm on Friday and closed at 9:00 am on Sundays. Call and reserve a room.

JAE'sWifey
01-01-2013, 09:54 PM
I lived 8 hours away and got to visit with my son for 4 hours Sat. & Sun. It was a special visit and you had to call the unit to set it up. The best place to stay during your visit is at the Samaritan House in Colorado City. It is about 30 miles away from the unit but it is free lodging and free breakfast & supper. They opened about 3:00 pm on Friday and closed at 9:00 am on Sundays. Call and reserve a room.
Just to add, the new warden requires they be major case free for 90 days before approving the special visit.

EDD FLORES
02-11-2013, 03:24 PM
hello im new here and had a hard time finding this blog? if ur married can u get a contact visit n can my sis n law come w me shes on the list but i live like 9 hrs away im taking my bby with as well> and how else can they call u besides registering the phones??

Renee
02-11-2013, 03:56 PM
Welcome to PTO! I've answered your question about the cell phone in another thread. Here is a link to TDCJ's Offender Rules and Regulations for Visitation - Texas Department of ... (https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/documents/cid/Offender_Rules_and_Regulations_for_Visitation_Engl ish.pdf&sa=U&ei=n2gZUdD0HuLC2gWOhYD4Aw&ved=0CBEQFjAF&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNGd2GrL0mEvHIiay6oxm5sLbbFaiw) Since you live more than 300 miles away, you should be eligible for special visits! I wish you the best of luck!

keith74mom
02-11-2013, 08:31 PM
Daniel is far out there- hope all goes well. It is a decent unit!

EDD FLORES
06-08-2013, 12:17 AM
Greetings,

This weekend is Mother's day weekend and visitation is limited to 2 hour visits on Sat. & Sun. Photographer will be available. I make a 7 hour trip but I will be limited to 2 hours. I have to go back on Sat. cause we have mother's day activities at church. My sis is coming with me and her family usually take her out to dinner so I want to be sure she is back home on Sun. We are coming for the graduation on Friday. We might have a short visit with my son afterwards during the reception.
Good day to all.
I went that day they called me on fri n said only 2 hrs n only one day was soo mad bc I had rented a car n was the 1st time in 18 mos we were seeing him.. but I'm going on july 1sr but calling 1st to make sur its not considered a holiday..

anditcametopass
06-12-2013, 05:25 PM
I went that day they called me on fri n said only 2 hrs n only one day was soo mad bc I had rented a car n was the 1st time in 18 mos we were seeing him.. but I'm going on july 1sr but calling 1st to make sur its not considered a holiday..

I wondered if that weekend would be considered a holiday. I will not be able to make another visit until the end of July. :( When I last saw my LO it was in March...I had set up a special visit and broke down halfway there. Ugh! I ended up having to rent a car and only was able to make it for 2 hours. I understand your anger! I bet you had a good visit anyway...just being able to see your LO. I pray your next one goes better!