View Full Version : MDC--Brooklyn

KinderedHeart25
11-02-2006, 11:55 AM
can anyone give me some info on MDC in Brooklyn NY?

curlyhead
11-02-2006, 01:26 PM
do a search here in federal forum and someone will come along.......

Frank101
03-12-2007, 04:22 PM
Does anyone know anything about MDC-Brooklyn?
I am told it is now classified as a low level Fed facility.

lisayeduar
04-04-2007, 10:04 PM
I've been there a few times when my husband was there. I don't know about what level it is . Anything u need to know if I can help I will.

his snowflake
04-11-2007, 07:15 AM
I visited there last year. As far as I know it is still an administrative facility holding mostly pretrial inmates. The inmates don't even get to go outside for recreation so I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be considered a low security facility.

Tipesh
04-18-2007, 02:33 AM
Sorry to hear your are going to Brooklyn. MDC Brooklyn houses both pre-trial detainees and sentenced offenders. It does take minimum and low security inmates. It is not a desirable placement (from what I have heard), but I was placed there also,to serve a year and a day sentence (white-collar, first offense, minimum security). I am going in after Memorial Day.

Tipesh
04-18-2007, 02:34 AM
I forgot to add that it also houses all manner of medium, high, and ulta-high security inmates; they are segregated by floor.

scared77
07-17-2007, 02:32 PM
I have a relative heading in to MDC Brooklyn.
Is it a safe place inside?
Are the inmates allowed to workout?
Is there a tv room?
Is there a library?
Are there any fights?
Do they have a work program for the inmates?
Are you allowed to receive packages?
Are there long waits for visits?
Does anyone have any additional information that would be helpful.
Thank you

NYWhitecollar
07-17-2007, 10:19 PM
I posted this a month ago to someone else asking the same questions:

I was at MDC Brooklyn for 2 weeks back in Oct. '06 until my bail was posted. The experience amazed me. Inmates are divided between short-sentence guys like yourself, and those who are awaiting trial or other legal hearings and haven't made bail, and also guys who are waiting assignment or transfer to another insititution.

The first week there you'll be in a "reception" area, 2-man cells, strictly run. The feel is much like what I imagine Medium or High secutiry to be. Food sucks, and there is no access to commissary. Some of the guys in this unit who were in transit had some of their "stuff" with them, like powdered coffee and a special transistor radio which you need to hear the tv's. The CO's there don't give a damn about you, and the Counselor (like a Unit Leader in a regular insititution) is only around for about an hour a day. Getting to see him is frustrating.

Placement in this unit is temporary. Your situation is evaluated, and you are then transferred to a "regular" unit. There are two types: the cell-blocks, and the "dorms." Assignment is based on security classification (i.e., history of violence). I was assigned to a dorm, and it surprised the hell out of me. I'm white and 65, and was expecting the worst. I couldn't have been more wrong. First, there were 125 men in one large room which included all the bunk beds, the dining/tv area, showers and bathrooms. This was presided over by one, lone female officer! Not once was she shown even a moment of disrespect, and she was clearly very comfortable moving around the room. The men were very considerate of each other, and I didn't hear a raised voice ever, much less an argument. They were very helpful to me. They offered me food, and the first time they saw me heading for the shower they stopped me, and a Latino who spoke no English pantomimed to me that I shouldn't go near the showers without "shower shoes". He guided me to his bunk, and pointed to an extra pair he had under his bed, and "told" me that I could borrow them anytime I wanted. I was offered food regularly. Guys near my bunk were always asking, "are you hungry? Want something to eat?" The most caring thing that happened to me really touched me: I'm elderly, and was assigned an upper bunk with no ladder on it. Any time guys around me would see me trying to either get up to or down from the bed, they would immediately stop what they were doing (playing cards, writing letters, etc.), and help me to make sure I didn't fall. Much of the time we didn't speak the same language, and we certainly came from different cultures. That never seemed to matter. Everyone realized we were all in the same situation (hell, in the same big room!), and no one was any different or better than anyone else.

I was in Dorm 5-South. The atmosphere was very relaxed. No fighting over the phones, no BS issues. The tv's hang from the ceilings, and after lights-out at 10 pm, they let the guys swivel the tv's to face the beds, and they left some low lighting on. Guys quietly talk, read, play cards, etc., until midnight when the room goes dark. After that many guys read (using small personal lamps) or listen to the radio. But no one bothers anyone, and the CO's don't care. I wasn't there long enough to know much, but I did learn one thing very quickly. Like Tyler Perry's book title "Don't Make A Black Woman Take Off Her Earrings!", you never want to force a CO to do their job! The CO's I encountered had one thing in common: they really don't want to do much, and they definitely don't want to have to deal with arguments or other negative crap. They just want to get through their shift in peace and go home to their family. They want to have good reports on their unit, and inmates need to help make that happen. Technically, the 10 pm lights-out means just that (and in the reception unit it definitely was). But because this dorm was well-ordered, and there was never any loud noise (except for football touchdowns on tv), the administration and supervising officers basically left it alone, and the CO's were able to cut the guys a lot of slack. Which turned down the frustration level, which cut the tension way down, which made for a better living situation.

There is one enclosed tv room where you can watch if you don't have a radio, and a rec room with a small indoor track surrounding a space where they play volleyball in the late afternoon and evening. There is no going outdoors. The facility is in the middle of a large industrial area, and if you didn't know better you would swear it was just another warehouse or factory. There was no "yard" that I was ever aware of, and I never heard anyone mention differently.

The age range in this dorm was 18-70. It's racially mixed, but I rarely noticed guys grouping intentionally by race. Most rec activities (board games, cards, etc.) were very "blended".

The one thing you want to be careful of at MDC Brooklyn is the gangs. There were no gang members in my dorm, but I was told of other units (the cell blocks) where they had huge problems with gang members. I was also told that not all of the dorms were the same, not all as civil.

While my dorm experience was positive, I have read on here of guys that did not like the dorm environment. Maybe I was just lucky, but I didn't mind it a bit, and was actually impressed by the civility and maturity of the whole thing.

Good luck to you!!

scared77
07-18-2007, 02:30 PM
Thank you so much for replying to my post! That makes me feel a little bit better. The whole situation just seems scary to me. Does anyone know anything about the visitation policy? Or if you can bring anything with you when you self surrender? Are inmates allowed to receive packages from family and friends?

Thank you to all.

NYWhitecollar
07-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Check out the Forums for Self-Surrender, and Mail-Packages, and the others as well. You'll find a treasure-trove of really helpful information there. I will take you some time to read through a lot of it, but you'll get an education from it. I know I did.

You'll get the answers to most of your questions. If you ask them one at a time here, you'll have to wait for someone to answer them, which is frustrating. If you go ahead and visit the Forums and check out the threads in them, you'll get your answers without waiting.

Everyone here helps each other. And the questions you have in your mind have already been asked by many who have come before you. And their answers are already here. Just dig 'em out!!

hopeful64
07-19-2007, 04:17 AM
Hey fam, does anybody know the procedure to visit at MDC Brooklyn, while person is awaiting transfer. He is already in the system and his visit list in already in PA. He was supposed to move last week, then this week, and now next. So we want to get their today. between 5-8pm. Thanks Ann

ksemel
09-12-2007, 02:10 PM
My fiancee is in there now, he says he feels safe and the people are generally nice. The commissary is every two weeks but they're often "out" of the stuff that inmates really want, like pens and the right size underpants. They play a lot of ping-pong, mail call is late afternoon, and I've only sent packages successfully from Amazon.com - books and such. Softcovers get thru find but someone swiped his copy of Harry Potter. Make sure you keep delivery confirmation for everything.

The visiting policies at MDC Brooklyn are pretty strict, and depending on who is working that day they may give you the run-around. So far the people at the front desk have been decent people not looking to make trouble where there isnt any, but the guards in the room range from decent to total jerk.

Don't let them pick a fight with you, one or two of them certainly try to and its not worth it, just stay polite. But also don't let them send you away without a reason. You're entitled to a detailed reason why you can't visit and a chance to fix it if possible (i.e. change your clothes).

They give you one hour from the moment your inmate walks thru the visiting room door. Get there at least an hour before the visiting period ends to be admitted at all, and expect to wait about 45 minutes from when you arrive to actually get into the room.

I've seen people turned away for the wrong clothes almost every visit. Don't wear ANY shade of tan, brown or green, and white pants do not fly. No shorts or skirts 3 inches over the knee, no low-cut clothes, no spandex and you need sleeves. No hoodies, no zippered shirts. Make sure you can't see through your shirt. Wear closed-toe shoes, sneakers are better than boots since there's no metal inside them usually. No clothes with holes.

They make you take the clips out of your hair to check them for contraband so avoid fancy hairdos, they'll just get un-did. You're allowed to bring in a small clear plastic container (like a ziploc bag) for change for the machines in $1, $5 and quarters no more than $20 but nothing else unless you're bringing a baby in then you can bring diapers and such. Not so much as a piece of paper otherwise, and you will have to turn out your pockets. They give you a key for a locker to put your stuff in. I usually leave my belt in the locker to avoid setting off the metal detector, it just slows the process down since they have to search you with the wand if it goes off.

Sometimes they're just looking for a reason to turn you away so it's best to not give them a reason. Dress conservatively, be polite and listen when they give you instructions. I recommend reading everything on the BOP site carefully, and work on sticking a smile on your face when confronted by a jerk.

Good luck

scared77
09-13-2007, 07:41 PM
My fiance is also at MDC Brooklyn. Has anyone tried to bring a tampon or maxi pad into the place? I'm just curiuos as to what you're supposed to do when that time comes. He is in the work cadre program so we are allowed to visit from 8-3. I appreciate any response.

Thanks.

SRebecca71
09-13-2007, 10:16 PM
Hi Scared and all...
My friend Glenn is in MDC Brooklyn (my gods typing that just seems so wrong) and he has been there for 7 days. I dont know how he is, and I cant visit as I am not immediate family. This thread helped a little, but I am so worried. I want to send "care packages" but I dont know whats allowed and what is not.

Susan

scared77
09-14-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm sorry to say that you're not allowed to send him care packages. This federal institution does not allow any. They allow magazines to be sent directly from the publisher, but honestly don't waste your money because I sent my fiancee some, but even though they were delivered, he never received them. The guards keep them to read for themselves. You are allowed to write to him, go on the bop website and click on the facility that will give you the address that you write to. He will be able to call you if he places you on his phone list and you'll be able to visit if you fill out the appropriate forms. Is he in the work program? Did he self surrender? I just went through all this a couple of months ago, so ask any questions you may have, I will try and help you any way that I can.

Lots of luck.

SRebecca71
09-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Hi Scared...
Thank you for being so helpful. I was under the impression that I would NOT be allowed to visit as I am not an immediate family member. The PDF file from MDC Brooklyn says only immediate family gets to visit at that facility?

Glenn was NOT allowed to self surrender they took him away at sentencing in front of his grieving family, and his friends. I was in such shock, we were led to believe he could self surrender, and would be allowed to do so.

What can I mail him, in a letter? I dont want to get him in any trouble. Can I mail him my phone number? I doubt he has mine memorized, so he couldnt add me to a phone list.

What kind of things can he get in commisary, and how do I add to his account? Will he know I even did so? If he has no clue funds were added, then its kinda useless.

Thank you so so much for your help. Heh, maybe Glenn will get to know your loved one.

He was sentenced a week ago, Friday. 9 years.
Sincerely, (and thank you)
Susan

ksemel
09-27-2007, 07:40 AM
Susan,

You can definitely mail your number. They read the letters, but they're not supposed to tell anyone about them unless there's illegal stuff. Just don't write anything you wouldn't want the government to know, don't make threats and don't plot escape. :)

I've sent my fiance all sorts of paperwork - a full printout of our wedding guests' addresses, several articles from newspapers, dozens of photos (even a bikini one to keep him warm at night!), and plain paper and envelopes. I've used large clasp envelopes and just pulled off the clasp for the larger stuff.

Glenn will be able to check his commissary account and see there's money in it, but you might want to sent him a note that you did so in case he doesn't check. He can use that money for phone calls as well so he doesn't need to call collect. There's a pretty detailed FAQ on the BOP site under "Inmate Matters" (on the top) and "Inmate Money" (on the left in that section)

I've used Western Union Quick Collect option so far and it hits the account that same day. There's a fee of about $10 depending on how much you send but I can handle it all online, and not worry he'll run out before the funds get to him. The form at Western Union uses the inmate register number followed by last name - no spaces or dashes (ex: 12345678SMITH) and his full name on the optional line (ex: JOHN SMITH). They can only spend $110 at each commissary and $290 for the whole month.

The only thing I've been able to send is paperback books. He says folks in there have hardcovers, but I'm not having any luck with that. :) I tried to send pens and a photo album from Amazon and they got sent back, oh well.

Tell him to hang in there. MDC is a pretty lousy place with no outside, but the people are more nice than jerks at least. If he's sentenced to 9 years, they'll designate him in a few weeks and probably move him somewhere else.

SRebecca71
10-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Hi Ksemel,
Thank you for your reply. Ive written him letters but I told him I dont expect a response from him as Id rather he save his money for commisary. And really, what is he going to be writing anyway...that hes miserable?

Do you have any idea how long it takes to get a name on a phone list? He hasnt been cleared to call me yet, hes been there since Sept 9th. I cant call the prison to find out if I am on the list, and they dont tell him anything, from what Ive gathered.

I miss him so so much. Its so hard to think of him in jail.
Thanks for your help and replies.
Susan

tica1224
02-08-2008, 02:01 PM
My hubby is waiting on clearance for our very first contact visit. I'm just wondering if we (wife and kids) don't really have to wait??? He was cleared by Medic and waiting to be transferred out of holding to meet with a counselor. From what he tells me, until he meets with a counselor--he won't really know anything about visits. Noone seems to tell you anything.

tica1224
02-09-2008, 09:00 AM
My hubby is waiting on clearance for our very first contact visit. I'm just wondering if we (wife and kids) don't really have to wait??? He was cleared by Medic and waiting to be transferred out of holding to meet with a counselor. From what he tells me, until he meets with a counselor--he won't really know anything about visits. Noone seems to tell you anything.

Just a follow-up to this message. After being cleared by medical he was moved out of holding yesterday. I'm wondering if I can just complete FORM BRO 5267.08A (Visitor Information Sheet) which is available online and mail to hubby to expedite things? Not sure if I only need to complete one or do I have to fill one out for each of our kids as well? Our oldest is 17. I would think NOT for minors.

Thanks.

tica1224
02-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Never mind. We're going to see him on Wed. No form--we're married and kids and I have the same last name. We're good to go! Can't wait.

nycitychick
02-18-2008, 04:27 PM
You are so lucky to get to visit....the guy I've been dating (also my best friend) is at MDC Brooklyn and I can't get cleared to visit....it's killing me! Just a lot of letters....

tica1224
02-19-2008, 08:45 PM
You are so lucky to get to visit....the guy I've been dating (also my best friend) is at MDC Brooklyn and I can't get cleared to visit....it's killing me! Just a lot of letters....

You will get clearance eventually. They work on immediately family first and then all others. As long as there was an existing relationship prior to incarceration, you will be allowed to visit. My girlfriend is waiting on clearance to see her man too. He is also at MDC. Did you read my other post about the visit itself? It's some process getting into this place but it was worth it. Even if all I got was a 1 minute kiss! :(

ct313
09-23-2008, 07:49 PM
My b/f is at MDC Brooklyn waiting transfer to KY. He saw his counselor today who told him (supossidly) that he can only have immediate family (parents, siblings) on his visitor list, no one else allowed. I had called there a few weeks ago and they told me he could add 1 friend to his list.
Has this been an issue for anyone else? He's not finishing his sentance there, it's only a holdover so maybe that's why?
Just wondering if anyone out there who's not related was able to get visits?? I'm so upset right now. Who knows how long he'll be there and now I have to wait until he gets to KY to fly out to see him:(

support2008
10-06-2008, 01:46 AM
(sorry, I don't have enough posts to post the link directly- it's on the BOP website under MDC Brooklyn though)

Start at :
D: Implementation of Visiting (page 4) for specifics

Basically, my husband was a holdover there too- he tried to add his best friend to the list but it never got approved- since I am his wife (legally same last name and everything) I was approved almost immediately. Good luck

Zelda50
10-06-2008, 01:01 PM
In federal detention centers, the visitors are limited for "hold-overs" and those pre-trial. If they are designated there for their sentence, then they can have other people besides immediate family on their visiting list. That's my understanding. Z.

ByTitoside
10-06-2008, 09:54 PM
For those of you who have family in MDC Brooklyn, my b/f was recently transferred here, how long did it usually take before you heard from them. He is about to finish his bid and they transferred him at the last minute. I would appreciate any info

ct313
10-09-2008, 06:13 PM
My b/f got there on a Friday and was able to call his Mom the next Monday, me by Wends.

bankrobber
11-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Hello everyone I am new to this forum. Thanks for all the info so far.

I have a friend serving Federal time. He received a sentence of 8 months. He was allowed to self surrender at Fort Dix FCI (He lives in NJ) now the BOP locater shows him in MDC Brooklyn.

Can anyone tell me why they might have moved him to MDC? Also what is the work cadre like? What kind of work will they let them do?

Is there any chance of him going back to Fort Dix? Another question although not directly prison related: What is supervised release like? How close a tabs do they keep on you? How often does one have to report?

Tipesh
11-13-2008, 02:12 PM
--> I will try t answer your questions one at a time.
I have a friend serving Federal time. He received a sentence of 8 months. He was allowed to self surrender at Fort Dix FCI (He lives in NJ) now the BOP locater shows him in MDC Brooklyn.

Can anyone tell me why they might have moved him to MDC?
--> It is very common for persons with a "short sentence" (year and a day or less) to be sent to MDC for their whole sentence.

Also what is the work cadre like? What kind of work will they let them do?
--> From friends who were there, I understand that it is mostly groundskeeping. However there are jobs in Library, kitchen, etc.

Is there any chance of him going back to Fort Dix?
--> Very unlikely

Another question although not directly prison related: What is supervised release like? How close a tabs do they keep on you? How often does one have to report?
--> This varies by case and by probation officer. There is a monthly written report. If his case is drug-related, he will have random testing. Probation Officer will visit at random times. How often very much depends on the individual and his relationship with Probation Officer. I get an unannounced visit about once in six weeks at random times. However, the judge modified the terms to permit me unlimited travel in the tri-state area. I think if he has travel restrictions he may get more frequent visits.

Feel Free to ask any other questions.

bankrobber
11-13-2008, 05:31 PM
--> I will try t answer your questions one at a time.

Can anyone tell me why they might have moved him to MDC?
--> It is very common for persons with a "short sentence" (year and a day or less) to be sent to MDC for their whole sentence.

Also what is the work cadre like? What kind of work will they let them do?
--> From friends who were there, I understand that it is mostly groundskeeping. However there are jobs in Library, kitchen, etc.

Is there any chance of him going back to Fort Dix?
--> Very unlikely

Another question although not directly prison related: What is supervised release like? How close a tabs do they keep on you? How often does one have to report?
--> This varies by case and by probation officer. There is a monthly written report. If his case is drug-related, he will have random testing. Probation Officer will visit at random times. How often very much depends on the individual and his relationship with Probation Officer. I get an unannounced visit about once in six weeks at random times. However, the judge modified the terms to permit me unlimited travel in the tri-state area. I think if he has travel restrictions he may get more frequent visits.

Feel Free to ask any other questions.

Just one clarification, I understand that MDC Brooklyn has no yard or grounds. What kind of groundskeeping jobs could there be? Do they have any off premise details like chain gangs or picking up garbage?

Tipesh
11-13-2008, 05:36 PM
Yes, the "outside" work is for the National Parks Service.
I served just over ten months and while it seems like foreever, he and you will get through it.
Good Luck

tica1224
01-26-2009, 12:35 PM
MDC was not allowing visits today! Ughhhhh...drove all the way there for NOTHING!

chickamama1
06-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Hello Friends,

Does anyone have any information regarding MDC Brooklynn NY? My fiancee was just transfered there from NH, and I havent talked to him yet.

Thanks- Heather

pink05
06-21-2009, 01:45 AM
My friend was at MDC Brooklyn for 2 weeks last August. All I can really tell you from my memory.

It is a high rise building. The first few floors are holding and processing, some offices (I think... I'd have to ask my friend again), then the rest are units. The female are on one side and the male on the other side of the building. According to my friend, they have really good food. Way better than the food he has been served in the county and Allenwood. They are housed in cells. They are to stay in their cells during night, during count and for an hour or two after breakfast. Then they can go out of their cells for their recreation. Then back to their cells after I think lunch or dinner. Can't remember. Maybe somebody else that have been at MDC can tell you more info. But for sure, there are NO outside yard for recreation. He said the windows were about 4 feet tall 4 inches wide. He could see the bay and the bridges in NYC. It is really not a pleasant place to do your time. My friend's glad he only spent 2 weeks there.

jennyvan15
06-23-2009, 06:11 PM
Hi, my fiancee is currently at MDC. Let me know if you have any more questions about visiting, etc and Ill be glad to help!

MrsBlakeney
06-23-2009, 08:28 PM
My husband was housed at MDC for about 6 months. Visiting is kind of frustrating well I thought so. I live in Philadelphia, which is about 2 hours from the prison. The visits are only for an hour. In order for us to get an extended visit he had to put in a request with his counselor. His counselor gave him a hard time to go and said he wouldn't do the request for every visit. I sent him proof of how far I have to travel and what I have to go through to travel there but he still refused to do the request for every visit. I believe that we got about 2 extended visits.

With that said let me tell you about the visits. When you get there make sure you have your own pen or pencil to fill out the form because the guards at the desk never seem to have an extra one. Pay attention to the number that is normally written in marker in the upper right hand corner of the paper. Once you turn the paper in to the guard, the guard will check the computer to make sure the inmate is still there and can have visitors. The guard will then call the number that was in the upper right hand corner, you have to go up to the guard and give the guard your id. The guard will then give you a key to the locker to put your belongs in. Don't wear any underwire bras or anything with metal. You put your stuff in the locker and sit and wait for your number to be called again. When it is called again it will be your turn to go through the metal detector. Once you are through the guard will write on your hand with a special pen. The guard normally calls about 10 people at a time. Once all ten are back then the guard will escort you back to the actual visiting room. Oh wait I forgot one thing, you have to show the hand the guard wrote on to the mysterious guard behind the black glass. Once in the visiting room you give the form to the guard behind the desk and another guard will assign you two seats. Yes I said assign you two seats (as if you are a child) one seat for you and one seat for your fiance (inmate). Two inmates can not sit next to each other, there has to be a visitor between the inmates. The guard behind the desk will call the unit where your fiance is housed. Your hour starts when your fiancee comes downstairs and gives the guard his id. Once your hour is up the guard will call the inmates last name signaling the end of the visit. You are able to purchase food from the vending machines but the last time I was there two of the vending machines were broke. The inmates are not allowed to get up and move unless they are going to the bathroom or the visit is over. The guards tend to walk around the visiting room a lot. You can kiss once at the beginning of the visit and once at the end of the visit. Sometimes you are able to sneak a kiss when the guards are not looking, depending on where you are sitted.

Things you need to make sure you have when going to visit:
1) Your Identification
2) A pen or pencil
3) Your fiancee's inmate number (guards get pissed when they have to look it up)
4) Clothes with no wires. I wouldn't wear a belt or a lot of jewelry either because your just gonna have to take it off to go through the metal detector
5) Only $30 in ones ($1), fives ($5) and changes

Sorry it was so long but I was trying to fit everything in. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask. Oh yeah one more thing I forgot the visiting hours change. They have even and odd visiting hours. When my husband was there his unit changed like this:

January,March, May, July, September and November the visiting hours where from 5:00pm to 7:30pm

February, April, June, August, October and December the visiting hours where from 12:00pm to 3:00pm.

If your fiancee's number ends in an odd number (not including the last three numbes after the dash) he will follow the odd schedule, if it ends in an even number he will follow the even schedule.

I would read the information provided on the BOP website, it can help some and ask your fiancee lots of questions. If he doesn't know he can always ask his counselor.

cd3223
06-06-2010, 09:19 PM
What is it like here?

Nwempress
10-01-2010, 10:58 PM
He's has been in there since last Thursday night he self surrendered for his second probation violation while in a halfway house I haven't heard from him yet is this normal and when should I hear from him also what should I expect since this is his second probation violation? Please help

bellisq
10-02-2010, 07:41 AM
His call list has to be approved and that can take a week or more.

Nwempress
10-10-2010, 04:26 AM
Thanks bellisq he called me on my cell phone as soon as his list was approved

Nay29
10-24-2010, 05:43 PM
The hours for visit is only one hour. Ever month the visiting hours change. My husban is incarecerated there any info you want to know just let me know.

Nwempress
10-26-2010, 08:41 AM
Hi nay how long do they keep imates there before they transfer them somewhere else also when they move do u got to do the visiting list all over again? I think he may be moved soon I just have a feeling thanks

blkswife5
11-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, i found it by accident doing a search to find out about the prison my husband is in. He is in Brooklyn MDC, he has only been there for 1 week transferred from another facility. I understand the visiting hours are only for 1 hour is there anyway to get extra time if you are from out of state, our entire family lives in California. Otherwise we have to stay two full weeks, just to see him twice. Is there someone besides a counselor i can talk to. His counselor is not very helpful.

biker7788
11-13-2010, 10:40 AM
I was sentenced 1 year and one day,( whitecollar, first offense ) and was notified to SS at the end of this month to MDC in brooklyn. I thought I would be going to Fort Dix camp as it is only 20 minutes from my home. It is a big blow to me and my wife. Is there anything I can do to change it to Fort Dix now?, and at MDC, what is Work Cadre do?
Do I get a chance to get fresh air working outside as work cadre? What is realistic month I can expect, as I was told I would get 2 month off for good behavoir? Is there any possibility I could get earlier release to halfway house? I would appreciate reply from anybody with experience or knowledge as my wife and I are preparing ourselves for separation.

fuzzysgirl
11-17-2010, 11:10 AM
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum, i found it by accident doing a search to find out about the prison my husband is in. He is in Brooklyn MDC, he has only been there for 1 week transferred from another facility. I understand the visiting hours are only for 1 hour is there anyway to get extra time if you are from out of state, our entire family lives in California. Otherwise we have to stay two full weeks, just to see him twice. Is there someone besides a counselor i can talk to. His counselor is not very helpful.

how long is your husband designated to MDC?....my fiancee is Work Cadre and our visits are much longer than 1 hour...on friday the visits are 5-7, saturday and sunday from 8-3....each visit we had the entire time together.....Look on the BOP website where it gives you all of the information about visits....hope this helps :0

fuzzysgirl
11-17-2010, 11:12 AM
I was sentenced 1 year and one day,( whitecollar, first offense ) and was notified to SS at the end of this month to MDC in brooklyn. I thought I would be going to Fort Dix camp as it is only 20 minutes from my home. It is a big blow to me and my wife. Is there anything I can do to change it to Fort Dix now?, and at MDC, what is Work Cadre do?
Do I get a chance to get fresh air working outside as work cadre? What is realistic month I can expect, as I was told I would get 2 month off for good behavoir? Is there any possibility I could get earlier release to halfway house? I would appreciate reply from anybody with experience or knowledge as my wife and I are preparing ourselves for separation.

work cadre is the designation for short time offenders....sometimes you have to SS at MDC, but may still be transferred to Fort Dix since MDC is technically a holding facility....it depends on what work you are assigned if you get to go outside....all of the visits are contact and work cadre visitors can come 3 times a week...

blkswife5
11-22-2010, 06:05 PM
how long is your husband designated to MDC?....my fiancee is Work Cadre and our visits are much longer than 1 hour...on friday the visits are 5-7, saturday and sunday from 8-3....each visit we had the entire time together.....Look on the BOP website where it gives you all of the information about visits....hope this helps :0

Hi There and thanks for answering. He hasn't been sentenced yet, he was just arrested a little while ago, so we are just waiting...

teddys_wifey
11-27-2010, 10:43 PM
Hi There and thanks for answering. He hasn't been sentenced yet, he was just arrested a little while ago, so we are just waiting...

My husband was there a little over 4 months..... He was sent there around june 19th and finally reached his designated location last week..... so tough on them and us family! BOP doesn't care about keeping the family together or helping anyone.... Good Luck!! If you have any questions message me, I went there to visit a few times and did alot of research on that place.... Good luck to you and your family!!! Stay strong!!

unjust36
01-12-2011, 03:57 PM
My husband is in MDC Brooklyn serving a 36 month sentence for a first offense whitecollar) he too is a work cadre....visiting is fridays, saturday and sunday they finally let us go back to sitting in a circle because we had to sit in a row which was extremely uncomfortable. Please remind your family to bring singles, quarters and $5 dollar bills so they can buy you food. I wish you lots of luck. The inmates are very friendly if that will help you at least it helped me to know that my husband gets along with everyone.

Hope I helped its horrible we have a camp 10 miles from our home but they sent him all the way to Brooklyn....They just don't care:mad:

lOsWifey
03-14-2011, 08:57 PM
My man has been there for almost two long years awaiting sentencing....nothing has happened so far but I pay that this year we will know something instead of nothing...but I know its bad in there...he Tells me he doesn't sleep much.....

tnj1104
03-20-2011, 05:02 PM
my man has been there for one year. I visit weekly. I live in the same state so its not too much out of the way. If/when they go to the whole, they arent not monitored as much. I had a visit for 2 huors a few times when my BF was in the hole

LRamos4552
04-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Can anyone tell me what it's like? How are visits, the process, etc.? I will be driving, how is parking? Is it a calm place or hectic?

Pierreswife
04-11-2011, 08:13 PM
I have heard that it is pretty calm there although I haven't visited. I know someone who is there. Good luck on ur visit if u have not alreay gone.
check the website for more info too...

vasil0658
04-19-2011, 01:25 AM
Did you get to go? How was it? My brother is serving there and I'm curious how the place is.

God'sOwn
04-19-2011, 11:03 AM
my husband just got there last week and he said he has been moved several times from one pod to the next. He didn't say much except that the food is better from Wyatt detention facility. He also told his family not to visit because it's very busy and he was told he will be moved soon. So I'm guessing it's really a transient facility and very crowded.

LRamos4552
04-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Did you get to go? How was it? My brother is serving there and I'm curious how the place is.

No, I did not go yet. It's a three hour drive each way and visits are only for an hour and on a weekday.

my husband just got there last week and he said he has been moved several times from one pod to the next. He didn't say much except that the food is better from Wyatt detention facility. He also told his family not to visit because it's very busy and he was told he will be moved soon. So I'm guessing it's really a transient facility and very crowded.

My husband has been there for 12 days now and he said the same thing about being moved alot from one pod to the next. Right ow he's in 5 south.

vasil0658
04-19-2011, 11:33 PM
I'm really confused. My brother was sent there back in January and he was told he's staying there for his entire sentence. I've also read that it's a transient holding prison but can understand why he'll be staying there for 2.5 years. Has anyone heard anything about this?

LRamos4552
04-20-2011, 12:05 AM
I'm really confused. My brother was sent there back in January and he was told he's staying there for his entire sentence. I've also read that it's a transient holding prison but can understand why he'll be staying there for 2.5 years. Has anyone heard anything about this?

Some people are designated there as Cadres. I think they have to be classified a low is my understanding.

Lilangelofmine
04-23-2011, 01:07 PM
Hi. I'm new to all this. I hav a someone who just got transfered to Mdc in brooklyn. Can anyone let me know how can he get on touch with me and how long before he does for the first time.

Stay safe
04-24-2011, 04:37 PM
What is the average time an inmate has to wait in Brooklyn before the get moved to their first facility? He got 7 years for child porn on his computer.

BluesBoo
05-31-2011, 09:53 PM
My boo was sentenced and then shipped after 4 months he was in MDC for 11 months. The visits are for 1 hour if they are not Cadre and on a weekday. We are from NY so it was never a big deal to go there but it sucked that it is only for an hour. It is usually crowded so if you visit be there at the time of the visit because signing in and waiting is annoying.

Ladygraham
06-21-2011, 10:08 PM
My fiancé will be held here for 4-6 weeks need info I can't talk to him (phone privileges taken...

Shakazgurl
06-22-2011, 02:41 PM
Yes my fiance' is also @ there he is waiting to be transferred to PA, but I have heard they can keep you for up to a year........he hates it! Any info. on this place would be helpful!

Ladygraham
06-23-2011, 10:12 AM
My fiancé has not told me anything negative and I don't think he would either because he knows how I am. I called there yesterday because I was goin to surprise him for a 6 hour drive but a 1 hour visit I just need to see him. He appears to me to be going through something I can tell in his letters I don't know if it is because we can't talk. I actually missed 1.5 weeks writing so maybe that is what is going on. I made up for it though at least your babes is going to PA mines is going to SC I only wish he were going near. It is really hard to get people to chime in on these threads. How long has your love been at MDC Brooklyn?

vasil0658
06-23-2011, 12:32 PM
My brother has been there since January and is supposed to serve his entire 40 month sentence there. They have him in dorm like housing and never get to go outside. You guys are lucky that your loved ones get to leave there and go somewhere else. I can't imagine not going outside for 3+ years. And I'm talking about low level. He's in there for falsifying government documents.

RellyRellMisses
06-23-2011, 12:56 PM
My boyfriend is in there a couple months now, but i don't think he's staying. It's not a bad facility. they don't get to go outside, thats why he's looking to transfer after he gets sentenced if possible. he's close to me; I live in Brooklyn also so I can't complain!

Ladygraham
06-23-2011, 09:24 PM
My boyfriend is in there a couple months now, but i don't think he's staying. It's not a bad facility. they don't get to go outside, thats why he's looking to transfer after he gets sentenced if possible. he's close to me; I live in Brooklyn also so I can't complain!

Your fortunate to live there I hear you only get one hour visits so it really sucks bit at least you can see him weekly. The sad part is I have not heard from my guy in almost 2 weeks now don't know what is going on..

RellyRellMisses
06-23-2011, 11:44 PM
Have you called the facility? It might be something with commissary or transfer documents if he came from somewhere else ... I work a retarded schedule so believe it or not I can't visit like I want to. Thankful he's still close though!

vasil0658
06-24-2011, 12:15 AM
You are really lucky. We're from NJ so the ride is only like an hour. I live overseas and obviously can't go see him until I travel back home but my sister in law and the kids go every weekend. She actually gets to visit with him for 4 hours. She's never mentioned anything less. She's there when they open and stays until they tell her it's time to leave. Maybe that's because he's there for the long haul.

Ladygraham
06-24-2011, 07:30 AM
You are really lucky. We're from NJ so the ride is only like an hour. I live overseas and obviously can't go see him until I travel back home but my sister in law and the kids go every weekend. She actually gets to visit with him for 4 hours. She's never mentioned anything less. She's there when they open and stays until they tell her it's time to leave. Maybe that's because he's there for the long haul.

Really, when you go to there site it says only one hour. So maybe they do longer but I was told I had to get approved again which sucks. I Want to see him ughhh if I could only hear his voice. To answer your question I have called and they are so nasty. I'd rather not deal with them the counselor I called him two weeks ago and be still has not called me back... I dint know what to do

dshsjs4ever
06-24-2011, 07:35 AM
Yes my fiance' is also @ there he is waiting to be transferred to PA, but I have heard they can keep you for up to a year........he hates it! Any info. on this place would be helpful!

I see your fiance is being transfer to pa. My boyfriend is facing the samething. How long they took to get him . Did he have court hearings before hand? If so what happened?

RellyRellMisses
06-24-2011, 03:39 PM

My boyfriend didn't get sentenced yet. I think that's why I only see him for a hour. I wish it was 4 sheesh!

Ladygraham
06-26-2011, 09:53 AM
I finally received a letter on yesterday! I was ver excited about getting one as I began to worry about him. At this point he said don't come and visit because it is only "one hour" my fiancé has been in prison already 5 years and has been sentenced he just got in trouble and is now a level 5 coming from a low security facility. I miss him so much I have not seen him since April.. Counting down to 2017 seems so far away. Praying for approval on the drug law.... I hope all are in good spirits. Holding it down for my man....

LRamos4552
06-26-2011, 11:41 AM
My boyfriend didn't get sentenced yet. I think that's why I only see him for a hour. I wish it was 4 sheesh!

When my husband was just there, visits were only for an hour also because he was a holdover and MDC was not his designated facility. He has since been moved to PA (USP Canaan) and visits are from 8 to 3 pm.

LRamos4552
06-26-2011, 11:43 AM
I see your fiance is being transfer to pa. My boyfriend is facing the samething. How long they took to get him . Did he have court hearings before hand? If so what happened?

For my husband anyway, it took about a month after his was designated to PA, for them to actually bring him there. I think they transport there only on Tuesdays/Wednesdays. Good luck.

RellyRellMisses
06-26-2011, 12:05 PM
I finally received a letter on yesterday! I was ver excited about getting one as I began to worry about him. At this point he said don't come and visit because it is only "one hour" my fiancé has been in prison already 5 years and has been sentenced he just got in trouble and is now a level 5 coming from a low security facility. I miss him so much I have not seen him since April.. Counting down to 2017 seems so far away. Praying for approval on the drug law.... I hope all are in good spirits. Holding it down for my man....

All I do is pray! Not to get religious but we believe in a higher power and that be will decide his fate! So far so good. My boyfriend was looking at 13 years for his charges which would leave him at a release in 2019... It went down to 4! I believe in good faith, and were thankful. I pray upon you and yours and wish you the best of luck.

Ladygraham
06-27-2011, 04:37 PM
My fiancé release date is June 15, 2017 according to bop

Ladygraham
06-27-2011, 04:38 PM
He thinks it is sooner however I will pray to God for sooner! Ladies thank you all for responding and all information you have given