View Full Version : Do you HAVE to have a Securus account to get calls?

NAN425
04-08-2011, 11:12 AM
OK, I'm confused...

My husband has never called his parents or mine, the other numbers on his phone list. Just me. I have a Securus pre-paid account. My account got low the other night and I didn't know, so my number was blocked.

The other numbers on the phone list are just for emergencies so there really isn't need for a pre-paid account. They can do telephone bill collect billing since they will at most get one call probably every couple of months. So I didn't tell them to set up a Securus account. I thought those calls could get billed direct to their phone bill (up to a certain limit, and at a higher rate).

But the other night when Mike tried to call me and my number was restricted, he tried the other numbers on his list and they all came back restricted. WTF? Do all those people have to set up accounts just to get an occasional emergency call from him? Or were they all blocked because my account was blocked? As soon as I put money in the account my number was unblocked but he hasn't tried the others I don't think.

This is the description of the Traditional Collect Account at Securus:

The Traditional Collect Account is our standard payment product and is a convenient way to accept and pay for calls received. Call charges appear on your local phone bill.
This Account offers you the following benefits:

A Traditional Collect Account is created automatically for you when you accept a collect call
Your phone number is used as your Account number
Provides you with an individual 90 day rolling spending limit
Make a payment on your Traditional Collect Account simply by paying your local phone bill*
Account information is available 24/7/365 via our automated phone system and website
With this option, you have a 90 day spending limit and are subject to more rigorous controls. We assign you a 90 day rolling spending limit, which is the spending limit assigned to your Traditional Collect Account. Each time a call is accepted, the charges are deducted from your available spending limit. Then each month we send the total of those charges to your local phone company to add to your phone bill. If you reach or exceed your spending limit during any 90 day period, please pay your outstanding charges** and then open a prepaid AdvanceConnect Account to continue to receive calls.

It says it is automatically created when they accept a call...help? :confused:

HisPlatinum
04-08-2011, 11:21 AM
How did it block your number? I was wondering the same thing too...if hes in the reception center and he moves to another facility that is on the list and there is money still on the account can it be used on the new facility???

KiKiSHiN3S
04-08-2011, 11:25 AM
Sometimes the phone company doesn't allow collect calls like that. I have bright house and I can only receive calls if it's prepaid. Maybe call the phone company and see if they allow collect calls. Also, I would call securus and ask them if because your number was blocked if the other(s) would be also.

I am not sure but I think I saw something about opening a prepaid account and being able to add more than one number. I don't know if it was securus but it means you add 2 or 3 numbers to your account online and you put $20 then all of those numbers have access to that $20. Rather than puting $20 on this number $20 on that number but like I said I don't know what company it was or any other info about it.

KiKiSHiN3S
04-08-2011, 11:27 AM
How did it block your number? I was wondering the same thing too...if hes in the reception center and he moves to another facility that is on the list and there is money still on the account can it be used on the new facility???

Securus blocks the number when you have no more funds available. Meaning if you only have $.50 in your account and the calls are $1.75 it wont let the call come through and it "blocks" it until you add enough funds. About your second question I have no idea because my fiance never called me in the reception center.

MariSanti
04-08-2011, 11:31 AM
I think they have to have an account set up with Securus to get calls.

NAN425
04-08-2011, 11:53 AM
I don't want to put everyone's numbers on my Securus account because the other numbers are basically emergency numbers for if something happens to me. Those people wouldn't have access to my Securus account to add $$ to it if I was unavailable so then if the balance got low, he wouldn't be able to call anyone!

Also, the other night he tried to use one number to alert another number about a low balance...if they are all on the same account you can't do that. You're totally screwed.

I know my in-laws' & my mom's phone company allows collect calls because we all have the same phone company (Bell South/AT&T) and I received Paytel collect calls through it from the county jail when he was there. Maybe they don't accept Securus calls though?

The calls were blocked by Securus by him getting a recording that said the numbers were "restricted" when he tried to use them. When I logged in to my Securus account, it was listed as "blocked" in its status.

Guess I'm going to have to tell everyone they have to set up a Securus account....even though Securus's own instructions says it isn't necessary. :mad:

ETA - the account moves with them from facility to facility, hisplatinum. It's tied to their DC#. So you set it up once and you are all set. My husband was in 4 facilities the first 2 weeks he was in state custody and his phone list (and my Securus account) traveled with him to all of them.

SimpleHedgehog
04-08-2011, 11:59 AM
Does your husband have to add those numbers to his call list? When my friend went to the intake prison (different state) she had to give them a list of numbers she wished to be allowed to call. She tried calling me after a couple of days and got the "Restricted" message even when my Securus account showed clear. Then she was notified that my number had been given the all clear by the prison and she was able to call me with no issue.

When she then moved to a different facility she was able to continue calling me without me needing to do anything on my Securus account. I did email their customer service dept. though just to notify them that I was expecting calls from a different location and they replied that there would be no issues as long as it is one they had the contract for.

Good luck trying to get all this sorted out... it is such a pain in the you know what!

- SH

NAN425
04-08-2011, 01:24 PM
All the numbers are on his DOC call list and were approved by DOC over two months ago. That isn't the issue. The issue is something with Securus...they don't seem to be letting him place calls to any numbers that don't have pre-paid accounts set up.

Does AT&T not accept billing from Securus? Is that the issue?

NAN425
04-08-2011, 02:01 PM
Just got off the phone with Securus. And the answer is...that AT&T no longer accepts billing from Securus. So all of the parents will have to have accounts to be able to get phone calls from him a couple times a year.

Just another reason for me to hate AT&T. Total PITA.

ben's girl
04-08-2011, 03:29 PM
Yep, I was about to tell you that AT&T doesn't allow billing directly through them any longer. Also note that they do not have to put $25.00 on their account. That is only if you pay online or over the phone. You can mail any amount you want to. But the thing about having money on your account and not receiving calls regularly is that a call has to be received at least once every 180 days or CBS will close the account and keep the money in the account. No refunds. So if your parents and in-laws do setup a prepaid account make sure you husband calls them every few months. Ben has to do that with my mom too. Or did you ask about setting up the account where they receive a bill for calls received? That's what my MIL has.

NAN425
04-08-2011, 04:23 PM
I'm having them both set up prepaid accounts. He'll easily call them at least once every 180 days, between me being out of town for business trips (he can call them to talk to our daughter while they are caring for her) and me having to travel to visit him - he can use those days to occasionally call them while I'm on the road.

Geez...none of this junk we have to do for them is easy, huh?

~*~His Bella~*~
04-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Thank thank thank you for mentioning the part about the money following his DC #. I thought I would have to know exactly where he was in order to set up an account. This means I can do it as soon as he's in the system, and he'll be able to call where ever he is (other than reception), correct?

NAN425
04-08-2011, 04:45 PM
Thank thank thank you for mentioning the part about the money following his DC #. I thought I would have to know exactly where he was in order to set up an account. This means I can do it as soon as he's in the system, and he'll be able to call where ever he is (other than reception), correct?

LOL I just had this conversation with my mother tonight...yes, once the account is set up at reception you won't have to tell it where he is every time he moves.

mccuneday
04-08-2011, 09:27 PM
..I got an e-mail from securus the other day that said i qualified to have a special account that would allow my calls to follow me anywhere including cellphones..basically like a call-forwarding service that i could turn on and off whenever I wanted..It said no need to wait at home to recieve inmate calls..just wondering ..is this legal? or is this some kind of scam? I haven't called yet ..just curious if anyone has tried it...

NAN425
04-08-2011, 10:07 PM
..I got an e-mail from securus the other day that said i qualified to have a special account that would allow my calls to follow me anywhere including cellphones..basically like a call-forwarding service that i could turn on and off whenever I wanted..It said no need to wait at home to recieve inmate calls..just wondering ..is this legal? or is this some kind of scam? I haven't called yet ..just curious if anyone has tried it...

Using mobile phones or forwarding your calls from the original number that was dialed is a violation of DOC rules and will get your and your inmate's phone privileges cut off and get him a DR.

ben's girl
04-08-2011, 11:56 PM
Let's remember that CBS allows calls to cellphones, but FLDOC does not. Some private facilities do allow calls to cellphones that use CBS. Now whether they have a special account or not, idk. When Ben was at Bay I just added my cellphone number just the same as I added my home phone number. There was nothing against the rules about adding my cellphone number while he was there. Boy, do I miss those days...

lin787
04-10-2011, 04:29 PM
I understand that CBS took their business from ATT, then the seriouslystupid started taking care of it.

You mentioned you got an email???? I even had the pamphlet but they blocked the calls and never sent me a bill, nada, nuttn. Then when I did call, I had to give them my password. I dont have a ffffff password. tx, I feel better now:)

Jenrietta
04-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Securus won't let me set up an acct. It says to put the facility in the box and it says this institution doesn't use securus. I thought it was state wide????

ben's girl
04-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Some of the private facilities use different phone providers other than CBS. What facility is he at?

~*~His Bella~*~
04-14-2011, 09:16 PM
Securus won't let me set up an acct. It says to put the facility in the box and it says this institution doesn't use securus. I thought it was state wide????

I thought the $ went with their DC# not the facility? Does this mean I can't set up an account until he has been placed instead of doing it once he's in reception and in the system?

ben's girl
04-14-2011, 09:17 PM
No, when you initially setup the acct you have to list a facility. Once he moves after that you don't have to update it. It's not tied to his DC number, but to your phone number.

~*~His Bella~*~
04-14-2011, 09:20 PM
No, when you initially setup the acct you have to list a facility. Once he moves after that you don't have to update it. It's not tied to his DC number, but to your phone number.

well boo to that. Thanks for letting me know though

ben's girl
04-14-2011, 09:24 PM
Just to confirm, your money will follow everywhere he goes, but you don't have to update the facility. It will update with CBS once he calls from a new place. It's nothing to be concerned about. You just have to know where he is the first time you setup the account. I think is partially so that CBS knows whether they service the facility or not because people could setup an account and then their loved one could be transferred somewhere they don't service. While all the reception centers in FL are services by CBS, it could be different in the other states they service.

~*~His Bella~*~
04-14-2011, 09:29 PM
One thing I'm hoping to do is add his father's landline to my account so we know there are funds available. I'm not sure if this is even possible. His father probably won't do it himself. With the service our county uses, you have to call from each # you add in order to set up a pin, so I can't do it myself.

ben's girl
04-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Yes, you can add multiple numbers to one acct with CBS so when he calls any of them it pulls the money from one account.

Jenrietta
04-15-2011, 05:12 AM
He's at Taylor Annex. When I plug it in it says it's not available there. Should I call Taylor and find out?

ben's girl
04-15-2011, 06:34 AM
Taylor will be listed. They have FLDOC facilities listed all kinds of ways. I found Taylor just by listing the city and state, don't list the facility name. Here's what it comes up with:

FL DOC - TAYLOR ANNEX
FL DOC - TAYLOR CI
FL DOC - TAYLOR WORK CAMP

The FL DOC is the reason most people can't find the location they are looking for.

~*~His Bella~*~
04-15-2011, 10:35 AM
Just to confirm, your money will follow everywhere he goes, but you don't have to update the facility. It will update with CBS once he calls from a new place. It's nothing to be concerned about. You just have to know where he is the first time you setup the account. I think is partially so that CBS knows whether they service the facility or not because people could setup an account and then their loved one could be transferred somewhere they don't service. While all the reception centers in FL are services by CBS, it could be different in the other states they service.

I know he can't call from reception, but do the reception facilities work as far as using their # to set up an account to have it waiting once he is placed?

Jenrietta
04-15-2011, 01:54 PM
Taylor will be listed. They have FLDOC facilities listed all kinds of ways. I found Taylor just by listing the city and state, don't list the facility name. Here's what it comes up with:

FL DOC - TAYLOR ANNEX
FL DOC - TAYLOR CI
FL DOC - TAYLOR WORK CAMP

The FL DOC is the reason most people can't find the location they are looking for.

Thanks so much. I'll try it again.

Jenrietta
04-15-2011, 02:42 PM
Thanks so much. I have an acct, now I just need some money to put on it. LOL

jockeyperry
04-15-2011, 04:23 PM
Is anyone having any problems with Securus today? I tried calling to speak with a representative and the system hangs up on me.

wifeofMichael
04-15-2011, 05:56 PM
He can call you from reception.

~*~His Bella~*~
04-15-2011, 06:11 PM
He can call you from reception.

Wait....WHAT???? This whole time I thought they weren't allowed calls in reception? Does this mean if his call list gets approved while he's there he can call???????

ben's girl
04-15-2011, 06:19 PM
Yes, he can call while at reception once his phone list is approved. Visitation isn't allowed while in reception, but calls, yes. :D

wifeofMichael
04-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Yup, he can call as bensgirl said! :)

~*~His Bella~*~
04-15-2011, 06:24 PM
OMG you both just made my night!!! ANd he'll be so happy when I can let him know...thank you :thumbsup:

ben's girl
04-15-2011, 06:30 PM
Thanks so much. I have an acct, now I just need some money to put on it. LOL

At least you made it thru the first step. ;)

Jenrietta
04-15-2011, 10:06 PM
At least you made it thru the first step. ;)
I have a few more weeks until he can update his phone list. I'm excited to hear from him. Thank you again. :D

MarGrits
04-20-2011, 09:52 AM
So I have a Securus & ICS accounts set up (Hillsborough County stopped using Securus) should I keep the $ in the Securus account for when he is transfered to FSP in the next few weeks? And I've been trying to look for him but what information does he need for his phone list so I can get it for him.

ben's girl
04-20-2011, 04:57 PM
Go ahead and send him a copy of your phone bill. Not all the facilities require it, but some do so if he needs it he'll already have it with him. Other than that all he needs is the name of the person that is listed on the bill, the phone number and the address.

MarGrits
04-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Thanks!

~*~His Bella~*~
04-25-2011, 05:45 PM
Anyone have any experience with your landline account having 2 names and having your # approved? I'm wondering if they will approve it if he only lists my name and not my mother's who is also on the account. There's no way he can remember how to spell her first name :mad:

wifeofMichael
04-26-2011, 05:35 PM
Write him a letter and spell it for him so he has it.

~*~His Bella~*~
04-26-2011, 06:25 PM
Write him a letter and spell it for him so he has it.

I can't until after he gets placed. They already told him in county they will throw all his stuff away before he leaves :(

NAN425
04-26-2011, 08:40 PM
I can't until after he gets placed. They already told him in county they will throw all his stuff away before he leaves :(

I'm pretty sure they aren't allowed to do that.

wifeofMichael
04-27-2011, 04:28 PM
No, they are not. It will be placed in property and you or his family can go pick it up. I dropped off his watch before he was transferred because he could have it in prison but not in county, they gave it to him when he was transferred. Write it to him now. Then get a card, write a note and put it in there and address it to the reception center. Send it to him the day he transfers.

elliejay34
04-27-2011, 04:36 PM
All the numbers are on his DOC call list and were approved by DOC over two months ago. That isn't the issue. The issue is something with Securus...they don't seem to be letting him place calls to any numbers that don't have pre-paid accounts set up.

I don't think they do. I have centurylink and they won't so I had to get a
Securus acccount, however it doesn't have to be pre-paid and he called collect and then I get a bill every month from Securus. Must better charges than when it went through centurylink.:)

elliejay34
04-27-2011, 04:36 PM

I don't think they do. I have centurylink and they won't so I had to get a
Securus acccount, however it doesn't have to be pre-paid and he called collect and then I get a bill every month from Securus. Must better charges than when it went through centurylink.:)

NAN425
04-27-2011, 09:43 PM
No, they are not. It will be placed in property and you or his family can go pick it up. I dropped off his watch before he was transferred because he could have it in prison but not in county, they gave it to him when he was transferred. Write it to him now. Then get a card, write a note and put it in there and address it to the reception center. Send it to him the day he transfers.

Picking up his property from the jail was surprisingly stressful. It took forever for them to get it from the property room and I did it while he was still there (just picked up his clothes that he had on in court on sentencing day about a week later) so I was pacing the lobby waiting knowing that somewhere in those walls he was there and I couldn't see him. I hadn't thought about how difficult that would be.

Then I took it home...opened up the vacuum pack...and his clothes smelled like him. :( It's amazing how triggers like that can set you off.

~*~His Bella~*~
05-04-2011, 11:04 AM
Ok so, the only CFRC found by Securus is South. Does this mean while he's in Main I cannot create an account? Help :(

Sent from my DROID2 using PrisonTalk

NAN425
05-04-2011, 11:55 AM
Ok so, the only CFRC found by Securus is South. Does this mean while he's in Main I cannot create an account? Help :(

Securus has CFRC listed as "FL DOC - Central Florida Reception Center" in their listings. Try that.

~*~His Bella~*~
05-04-2011, 12:08 PM
Securus has CFRC listed as "FL DOC - Central Florida Reception Center" in their listings. Try that.

Thank youuuuuuuu!!!!!!!

BKBS
05-21-2011, 07:20 AM
I know, I am confused on this as well. I closed my Securus account recently b/c my 180 days with no calls was coming up. Yesterday I received two calls from them, 5 minutes apart on the 866-718-4777 number. Unfortunately I was working, so I didn't get to hear the recording, but my voicemail caught the last 5 seconds. I talked to Securus b/c my account says BLOCK on it, and they insisted that I cannot receive calls & that no facilities called my number that day. Yet, someone obviously did b/c they called twice! I am very confused & worried b/c I also can't get in touch with my boyfriend. Ugh.

DABsgirl
05-25-2011, 06:19 PM
So I have a Securus & ICS accounts set up (Hillsborough County stopped using Securus) should I keep the $ in the Securus account for when he is transfered to FSP in the next few weeks? And I've been trying to look for him but what information does he need for his phone list so I can get it for him.

I know people who have Securus in Hillsborough County. Since when is that not allowd? What is ICS? Is that another option for calls? I'm really tired of Securus aka CBS :(

MarGrits
05-26-2011, 05:22 PM
I know people who have Securus in Hillsborough County. Since when is that not allowd? What is ICS? Is that another option for calls? I'm really tired of Securus aka CBS :(

I can't remember when it changed…probably 2 months ago? And then Pasco was also ICS. I way prefer them to Securus, but since he's going to a prison - I'm back to securus.

Boandaisey
05-29-2011, 09:07 PM

He can but he will not be able to make a call until they load his phone info into the system in the new facility.

ben's girl
05-31-2011, 02:43 PM
He can but he will not be able to make a call until they load his phone info into the system in the new facility.

Phone information does not have to be "reloaded" at each facility an inmate transfers to unless it's a facility that doesn't use the same phone provider (such as going from a facility that uses Securus to one that uses Infinity Networks). Each time Ben has moved, which has been to several facilities, he has called me the same day he moved there. The only time he was not able to do this was when he moved to a private facility that used CBS and DOC was still using MCI at the time.