View Full Version : Please help, How can I cash my boyfriend's tax check when he is locked up

04-06-2011, 11:29 PM
My boyfriend filed taxes befor he went in. We had actualy worked it out so the money would come to my account and that would be that. But it didnt work out that way. I have a letter saying they couldnt for some reason and they sent a check. Im wondering how I go about getting it signed and cashed? Can I take it in to him on a visit to sign? Will a bank cash it with him not present? I dont know what I can and can't do and dont want them hating me the fist time I come in. He is ok on money right now, but I still need to get this figured out. Anyhelp will be much apreciated. Thanks

04-06-2011, 11:34 PM
welcome to pto. not sure if they allow you to do that. you should call the prison that he is at and ask.

04-06-2011, 11:48 PM
Ok I have already called twice about other things I dont wanna be the crazy girl lol I will tho thanks. Your loves getting out soon how exciting!! Congrats

04-07-2011, 12:02 AM
I have many years of banking experience maybe I can help.

Is the check made out to the both of you?

Do you have a joint checking account?

PM me if you need to...

04-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Ok I have already called twice about other things I dont wanna be the crazy girl lol I will tho thanks. Your loves getting out soon how exciting!! Congrats
lol i have called the prison whr my mans at so many times im surprised they dont know my voice by now.. thank you i am gettin excited. my man filled his taxes and the checks were sent to my house i cashed them. you can p.m. me and i will try to help you on how i was able to cash them..

04-07-2011, 06:18 AM
You can not normally take papers in with you at visit.

If you sign his name to it, then you might be committing forgery.

You are in a tuff spot.

Momma Ann
04-07-2011, 06:31 AM
ask at the bank what you would need. Perhaps a power of attorney?

04-07-2011, 06:35 AM
If your name is not included on the check, I would not sign it - that could be forgery. What concerns me is that you may sign it and cash it and later on down the road if your boyfriend gets mad or something goes wrong, he could press charges and act as though he did not know you had signed the check. I hate to say that because at this time in your life everything seems fine between the two of you but then tomorrow everything can go sour and turn upside down. They get very angry when they are incarcerated and sometimes do strange things and I wouldn't want you to be in jeopardy of a crime. I've known things like this to happen between people very often. I hope you understand that I'm not saying your boyfriend would do that, I'm saying this could possibly happen from my past experiences.

What I would do is take it and see if you can leave it with the jailer or whoever in charge, see if they can take it to him and let him sign it and you pick it back up. If that doesn't work, take it to his attorney and let him/her take it to him.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

04-07-2011, 08:21 AM
Thank you very mch guys. Yeah I understand about not needing to sign it as him! Not looking for any kind of trouble. And I understand problems could come up between us later (he and I are very close,as close to being married as it can get I should say) so not too worried about that. We have gotten through alot already we can get through this. Im really scared with leaving it with just someone to hopfully pass it alot to him. Sadly I have heard some 1st hand stories about important things getting "lost" at some jails and prisons. Not wanting to take that chance. Ugh I jst dono. I have awhile b4 he will need some more money I just gotta figure this out. The problem with calling the place he is at now is he is only in recieving, and in a couple months will be moved to whatever Prison they send him too for the rest of his time prolly. And I know different rules apply. Thanks for helping guys. I feel so lost with out his advice. He has been gone for not even 3 weeks. I have gotten a call when he was in county and 2 letters since then. Im going a lil crazy

04-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Call his counselor or records and find out the prison's policy on this, he may need to file a power of attorney... You are not the 1st to deal with this issue,

04-07-2011, 05:07 PM
Uh..Sign his name and deposit it in your bank account.

04-07-2011, 07:34 PM
A client of mine recently had this issue (I do taxes). If your name is not on the check-which I assume it is not since you said he is your boyfriend-you can not sign his name and legally cash it. That will be forgery and that is a crime. You will need to get a Power of Attorney in order to cash it.

04-07-2011, 07:50 PM
Someone should have his power of attorney. If he did not give you one, maybe his mother or another close relative?

04-07-2011, 07:52 PM
I didn't know that people in prison received income tax refunds. interesting.

04-07-2011, 07:55 PM
A power of attorney will work. Just make sure that it is a specific power of attorney. I agree with the other ladies you don't want to sign his name. Not a good idea.

light at end
04-07-2011, 08:08 PM
I had the same problem a few years ago too. First off I would NOT leave it with anyone at the jail. You should contact your bank and see what you need to do in order to cash it. I had to get a notarized letter from my husband stating that the signature on the check was his and that he was in prison and that I was his wife and he was giving me permission to cash the tax refund. I had power of attorney and my bank said that they would not be able to accept it.

04-07-2011, 08:12 PM
Thanks everyone. I will be checking into a few different things. This place is great im glad I found it

04-07-2011, 08:15 PM
I didn't know that people in prison received income tax refunds. interesting.

He just went in last month, and filed befor he went. And the money didnt come untill after he was gone

04-08-2011, 02:59 PM
I didn't know that people in prison received income tax refunds. interesting.
I recently contacted the IRS on the issue of inmate taxes, and the answer is just they are still required to file if they worked. So yes, they can get refunds.